closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: NC Headphones again (sorry!)

Master

NC Headphones again (sorry!)

Having endured several long-haul flights recently, I have decided to buy myself and Mrs Beanie some NC headphones for our next hols.
    The obvious suspects were of course Bose QC35's, then after a quick search on here the Sony MDR1000X caught my eye.
    However, after a bit more thought, I realised that they would probably be wasted on my old ears (touch of Tinnitus) so looked a bit further. I was thinking that something like the Sony MDR-100ABN (they do a nice pink colour for the wife-apparently quite important), or Sennheiser HD4.50BTNC. I use a Sony Xperia mobile and the MDR's have some features that are compatable with these phones, so they may have the edge.
    If anyone has had any experience of these I would be grateful for your views.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
    Having endured several long-haul flights recently, I have decided to buy myself and Mrs Beanie some NC headphones for our next hols.
    The obvious suspects were of course Bose QC35's, then after a quick search on here the Sony MDR1000X caught my eye.
    However, after a bit more thought, I realised that they would probably be wasted on my old ears (touch of Tinnitus) so looked a bit further. I was thinking that something like the Sony MDR-100ABN (they do a nice pink colour for the wife-apparently quite important), or Sennheiser HD4.50BTNC. I use a Sony Xperia mobile and the MDR's have some features that are compatable with these phones, so they may have the edge.
    If anyone has had any experience of these I would be grateful for your views.
    My vote is for this one. As recommended by forum elders! 2 disadvantages - doesn't come with a mains adapter (any generic USB compatible one will do) second I feel the ear cups are smaller than the QC. I am no expert on sound quality but to me the Sony sounds better. Don't know about the MDR 1000X.

I've had a pair of these for a while.

https://www.whathifi.com/digital-silence/ds-321d/review

Although I'm sure the musical quality is not as good, in my experience the ANC aspect of them is pretty much equal to the Bose headphones.

I was fully prepared to invest in the Bose Q35s, but having tested them I decided is wasn't worth the extra to me.

I had the old version of these until the kids wrecked them. This included a couple of years when I was 'commuting' to Sweden and visiting the US 3 or 4 times a year so they got lots of use and never let me down.

They are a little dated design-wise now and need a battery rather than being rechargeable but I'll buy these again next time I've got a load of travel coming up.

My recommendation is to buy the Goldrings or spend a lot more to get the very best.

Journeyman
    I cannot tell you about the Sony MDR-100ABN or the Sennheisers. I have had both the Bose QC35 and the Sony MDR1000x. For me the Bose have the slight edge on the Noise Cancelling and are extremely comfortable and the batteries last a good while. I have managed to do a full 26 hour flight to Australia and did not take them off once. I did not feel fatigued by them which I have had in the past with other headphones. However I would proceed with caution as, I returned two pairs QC35's due to the well documented firmware problems that are ongoing (luck of the draw to get a good pair). I changed them for the Sony's. The Sony's have a great noise cancelling and the controls are good especially for listening to announcements. They are comfortable and I have just done an 8 hr flight with them no problem but you know they are there, where as the Bose you almost forgot they are on. I was always sceptical about spending so much on a set of headphones but actually experiencing them both, I can tell you it is worth paying for them, I believe these are a step ahead of all others in terms or noise cancelling, and they do really make a difference to air travel.

Master
    Thanks for the input guys. I perhaps should have mentioned that I am looking at Bluetooth, over the ear headphones and the whether it's worth buying the flagship models over ones lower down their range that will be perfectly suitable bearing in mind the old lug holes aren't in the best of nick.
    The noise cancelling feature is probably the priority, together with comfort.
    We will be going into London tomorrow for a couple of days so we could try some on and have a try on and listen.

Journeyman
    I'm not a fan of over ear headphones and have the Bose QC20i myself. I fly on average 70-80 times per year and these have been my best travel item by far. I believe they now have a wireless pair but reviews state the 20 are still slightly better. Excellent fit in the ear and I'd highly recommend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I may be selling my as new MDR-1000Xs as I don't really use them since I converted my Shure 535s to bluetoooth. Drop me a PM if you're interested.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Another vote for QC35... wouldn't be without mine when travelling (or in the 'kin noisy office !!!).

I have some QC35's bought from our man vinnie on here in anticipation of a New York flight in October and a Japan one in May '18.
    I've only used them around the house via bluetooth and they are very impressive IMO.
    I've not tried any others as a comparison though but they'd have to be something totally special to better these anyway.
    Last edited by reggie747; 23rd May 2017 at 17:22.

NC Headphones again (sorry!)

I've got the Sony 1000x and absolutely love them. One of my best ever buys. So comfortable.
    My requirement was the same as yours - Bluetooth, over ear, noise cancelling. My sister's fiancé is in the high end headphone business and told me there's no comparison in terms of noise cancelling quality to the flagship models and that for my requirements the only real choice was from Sony or Bose. Basically the newer the tech the better the NC - especially with wireless phones.
    If you are at all concerned by it there was a story recently that Bose were recording conversations picked up by the mic in their QC's.
    Truth is you won't go wrong with either model but definitely spend the cash on the flagship model from whichever company you choose.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

another vote for QC35. the sennheiser momentums are very good too!

Another happy QC35 owner here. I have nothing similar i.e. Bluetooth to compare them with but find them excellent. I should add that I have not suffered with any of the firmware issues mentioned. I am no audiophile and don't listen to music or TV to pick holes in the sound quality. The battery life is excellent and I can get to the west coast of the US and back on a single charge. I do always have a portable Anker battery charger for the headphones, iPhone and iPad should any require recharging.

Master
    I've currently got the Sennheiser HD4.50 BTNC after owning the Sony MDR-1000X for a short period and the Sony MDR-100ABN that were never opened as I thought I was going to keep the more expensive Sony pair. I have also sampled the Bose QC35s in JL on a dedicated Bose display but be careful if you do the same as the content used is clearly of much higher quality, unsurprisingly, and sounded great until I paired them with my iPhone when the quality dropped significantly. I will say the noise cancelling was probably the best as was the comfort.

The Sennheisers sound fine and are clearly much better value if you only intend to use them when traveling, as I do, but the supplied travel case is a soft canvas case whereas the others tend to come with much better hard cases. If you're not absolutely set on noise cancelling, and sometimes I've found it difficult to tell if it's working or not, then also test the Bowers & Wilkins P7 wireless which I also have as these sound better than any of the rest. Of course Bluetooth is not an ideal medium for music playback and for home use my Oppo PM3 planar magnetic headphones, similar price to the MDR-1000X and QC35, knock them all into the weeds.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbez View Post
    I'm not a fan of over ear headphones and have the Bose QC20i myself. I fly on average 70-80 times per year and these have been my best travel item by far. I believe they now have a wireless pair but reviews state the 20 are still slightly better. Excellent fit in the ear and I'd highly recommend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Another vote for these .. Bose QC20i ... I do a few long haul trips and these are very comfortable and have the advantage of being easy to fall asleep with whilst wearing.

Master
    Just as I was convincing myself that I should be looking at the QC35's or MDR1000X's, not only do the Sennheiser's come back into play, but I find myself now considering the QC20i's. I seriously doubt any of the headphones mentioned here will be a lemon as there is obviously a lot of knowledge and experience on here.
    Only one thing for it, must try them out (bet the wife will just go for the pink ones).
    Thanks again for everyone's input.

Master
    I bought the Sennheisers from Richer Sounds the other week and got £10 off just for giving my email address, some decent offers also sent thereafter, so £159 all in.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
    Just as I was convincing myself that I should be looking at the QC35's or MDR1000X's, not only do the Sennheiser's come back into play, but I find myself now considering the QC20i's. I seriously doubt any of the headphones mentioned here will be a lemon as there is obviously a lot of knowledge and experience on here.
    Only one thing for it, must try them out (bet the wife will just go for the pink ones).
    Thanks again for everyone's input.
    I'd go to the Bose store and see which you prefer.

A lot of people love the over ears - I personally hate them. I think they look ridiculous and if you want them primarily for travel, they're a pita for falling asleep with. This is why I love the QC20's - Extremely comfortable, noise cancelling is awesome and they are also very discreet.

Craftsman
    I ordered a set of QC35's last night, looking forward to getting them tomorrow! I tried them a while ago but couldn't justify the cost. I have a few long plane journeys this year which helped with the man maths this time around.

I find in ear uncomfortable after a while so for wearing for a long time have gone for over ear

^^ I don't imagine you'll be disappointed with them.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    ^^ I don't imagine you'll be disappointed with them.
    I'm not - great noise cancelling and sound quality although I'm not an audiophile. Seem very comfortable and build quality feels great!

Bose for sure. There are many equally good headphones out there for regular situations, but Bose noise cancelling is the best I've found. In a noisy situation, such as a plane, I'm yet to find anything to beat them.

I had the Sony 1000 something or other, the wired version of the current bluetooth model. Also a cheap pair of Panasonic ones picked up at an airport. The Sony fit, sound quality and NC was much better, but as others have mentioned, all these over-ear cans are tedious to carry and don't let you fall asleep with your head on your side. Also they heat up your ears after a while, so you trade noise discomfort for other discomfort.

I've tried all the current Bose range and preferred the in-ears. Their NC on the QC20 actually seemed better than the QC35s. Might depend on your ear shape, so be careful of reviews (and opinions, including mine) but the QC20s were impressive. Build quality of the QC35 is noticeably well behind the Sony (comparable to the cheap Panasonic) but they are comfortable.

The Sennheiser PXC550 is really nicely built and lightweight. NC seemed fine. I'd buy them, or the QC20s, but for the fact that the last time I flew a.) the airline provided good NC headphones and b.) the wired socket for the IFE was a seemingly proprietary 3-hole thing that didn't work with anything else. For now I just use the cheap Panasonics and take some foam earplugs for sleeping.