closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "The Deepsea Quest" is at an end.....

Blog Entries

"The Deepsea Quest" is at an end.....

So how the heck did I end up with a Deepsea Sea Dweller??

upload images

For someone who is not a Rolex fan boy by any means, in fact I dislike the brand for what it is perceived to be and all the glossy marketing gumpf, I now find the brand the most dominant force in my collection with five.

Having had and indeed have a Planet Ocean and Panerai PAM312 in my ownership I have always been partial to a bit of a ‘chunk’ on my wrist but up until two years ago I just did not ‘get’, appreciate , admire or even consider a Deepsea. But an afternoon of Norwich GTG saw me clamp eyes on TooTall’s piece and his watch and once firmly in place on my wrist I was smitten.

I had read so much about how top heavy it was, how it could not be considered a daily wearer, how folk could not see the point and how the tapered bracelet was all wrong, however a couple of hours later all of these concerns were put to bed, I absolutely adored the watch.

Why has it took so long??? I had a hit list which included a T<25 Pepsi 16710 and a 5513 and I made my mind up I wanted to tick these boxes before taking the plunge. Well those bagged and all done I began to think this year would be the year. That said my reset button was well and truly pressed and I had that “life is too short moment” on Easter Sunday with the unfortunate and sudden death of my Dad which rocked me like I never believed it would, I miss him so much. My mind was made up a WTB it would be.

I had some wonderful PM’s and offers from the TZ faithful, but ultimately I wanted a FTF purchase, then out of the blue Gareth-W PM’d and a few days later we were sitting in The Royal Exchange, a coffee, a chat and the deal was done, a stunning full set, 2013 UK supplied example in absolutely fantastic condition.

upload images

So, is it top heavy? No, not one bit it is just so comfortable and actually wears quite small IMO.

The bracelet????? I just cannot see what all the fuss is about, its fantastic and for me does not make the watch look out of proportion as is often muted.

The Glidelock…….Is absolutely fantastic in its action and execution, the adjustment is perfect, the best I have ever worn.

upload images

The matt dial, the bezel action and the lume are all stunning and works of art.

The crystal sets this watch apart from anything current in the line-up and I find myself constantly looking at it and tilting my wrist.

free image hosting for ebay

For me this is the ultimate most engineered Rolex diver out there and its presence is awesome. I feel proud and privileged to have one in my ownership and a definite keeper.

Cheers again Gareth.

Pitch

Master

Smile

Well done,ready for the bathyscape now .

Master
    Funny, I have a PO and a 312 and have now tried 2 DSSD's because I like the idea of them so much (including the blue one I bought a couple of weeks ago). The reality for me was very different and I just can get on with them, wish I could because they are superb but now know they aren't for me.

GL and I hope you keep up the love affair, I am envious!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats.
    Let Rolex stop its production and see the prices explode.

Very pleased that you finally got one and it is what you really want.
    Love mine and its definitely a keeper.
    Couldn't agree more with all you've said.

Andy

Absolutely delighted for you - well done that man.

No flipping for a Deep Blue now!!

Ken

Congratulations. I went through a similar process of thinking it wasn't for me, and finally seeing the light. Now I feel like an idiot for not getting one before. It's amazing.

Craftsman
    Snap, I was also taken by a Deepsea and would concur with your comments as regards size and wearability. Mind you I also own a couple of PO and a PAM, perhaps that is why we see "size" as no issue.
    Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Congrats.
    Let Rolex stop its production and see the prices explode.
    that would be cool!

Got my first one in 2010 and loved it ,to me it was the watch I wanted rolex to make for ages.That one had to go ,life got in the way.But I now own another…enjoy

Master
    Blog Entries
    Very nice. I had one and flipped it quickly. Probably should have kept it a little longer. I'd love to try one on a RubberB.

Master
    Lovely pics of an amazing watch. I flipped a black for a d blue, and it is would be the last one that I would ever let go. I keep looking at it when wearing, agree with your review totally. Health to enjoy.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Congrats it's a great watch with real presence and though it is quite weighty it wears very well. I get more comments about mine than my Daytona.

Great post as it brought out all the DSSD love on the forum.

Master
    I love mine. I'm a serial flipper but it has stayed around for much longer than anything else.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

But an afternoon of Norwich GTG saw me clamp eyes on TooTall’s piece and his watch
    Errr...

(So sorry to hear about your dad, mate.)

Master
    Really pleased you got sorted with one. I love mine. Nice write-up too.

Master
    Congratulations on your new purchase! I suspect you got the best deal in the Royal Exchange on a Rolex (Watchfinder Joke)

Very sorry for your loss. Hopefully your new toy and sharing with others gets you through it fella.

Apprentice
    Glad you found one in the end Paul, might keep mine after all.

Jon

Why oh why did I sell this?!

Couldn't have gone to a nicer fella. Enjoy Paul.

Congratulations Paul, and sorry to hear about your father.

Master
    Too big for me

I picked up the D-Blue couple of weeks ago. It's the only Rolex I've ever liked and its one of my keepers. Agreed, it's an amazing piece, congrats on your purchase

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Very nice. I had one and flipped it quickly. Probably should have kept it a little longer. I'd love to try one on a RubberB.
    Guilty of thread skimming there.
    Sorry to hear of your loss. You're right, life is too short. Wear in great health.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Guilty of thread skimming there.
    Sorry to hear of your loss. You're right, life is too short. Wear in great health.
    Same here. My condolences.

Master

&quot;The Deepsea Quest&quot; is at an end.....

All the talk af the new SD and dssd made me start wearing my dssd again, love it all over again,personally I think anyone with a wrist smaller than 7 1/4" may find the dssd a little on the big side however the rubber B straps for this are excellent btw for those people who think it's top heavy for the slender bracelet the rubber B eradicates that issue, great purchase enjoy the watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by fordystar; 21st May 2017 at 12:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    Too big for me

Looks ok to me?

Michael
    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fordystar View Post
    personally I think anyone with a wrist smaller than 7 1/4" may find the dssd a little on the big side
    You would think so but I've never felt my less-than-7" wrist made the watch seem over big. That may be because of the recent fashion for huge pieces but it sits nicely albeit that lug tip to lug tip is about the same as the width of my wrist (if you see what I mean!)..

I have a 6.75" wrist and think it looks okay. Guess it's somewhat subjective though

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ataripower View Post
    I have a 6.75" wrist and think it looks okay. Guess it's somewhat subjective though

It's my opinion but I find it a little large at a 7.5" wrist but think that it's more height/weight as long as it works for the wearer then it's all good, great watch that James Cameron edition really love that dial.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Tony, Chalet, Marcus, Nick, Dave, RAJEN, Chris, Andy, Dave, Gareth and all who have PMd me over the past weeks, thank you so much for your thoughts and kind words, there are some truely lovely chaps on TZ, many mates from afar.

The DSSD - good to see there is actually some real love on here for the watch that divides so many in the WIS and more so Rolex world. Having now worn it for three days on the trot including sleeping with it (metrophorically speaking) it really is a nice watch to live with, even shopping at the DV in York today I didn't feel like I had to give everything a wide berth.

Wrist size I am 7" so be no means a giant and there are no issues with any digging and with the heat today the glidelock came into its own.

With the introduction of the SD43, 50 or whatever it is called today will we see an acceptance of a bigger Rolex and an insurgence in the broadly speaking, unloved model, there's one for you all.

Anyway, Tony, you were there at the Norwich GTG a couple of years ago and TT is a big piece!!! and Gareth many thanks again buddy.

Paul

P.S. it casts a long shadow in the settling Suffolk sun ☀️

upload images
    Last edited by Pitch3110; 21st May 2017 at 19:26.

Master
    Congrats on this. The DSSD has such a great clasp that I find its size virtually irrelevant in the comfort factor. If Mrs C and Charlize Theron can wear one comfortably I'm not sure big strapping WIS should have any complaints!

Master
    A really impressive watch this in every respect. Looks great in both black and black&blue. Very tempting !

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using TZ-UK mobile app

Fantastic watch Paul and looks and feels amazing on a RubberB. Enjoy!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Fantastic watch Paul and looks and feels amazing on a RubberB. Enjoy!
    Do you have it on a rubber b? If so I would love to see pics as I am considering same for mine. Thanks.

Master
    I struggle with this; the Deepsea seems to offer nothing that the new 43mm cannot offer, in a less bulky, more attractive package. My guess is that the Deepsea will suffer in the longer term. I mean, what was the point of such a bulky design? Yes, the absence of a cyclops is nice, but not enough.
    Whether the market agrees, only time will tell . You never really know what the market will do.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I struggle with this; the Deepsea seems to offer nothing that the new 43mm cannot offer, in a less bulky, more attractive package. My guess is that the Deepsea will suffer in the longer term. I mean, what was the point of such a bulky design? Yes, the absence of a cyclops is nice, but not enough.
    Whether the market agrees, only time will tell . You never really know what the market will do.
    That last sentence is so true. If I could tell the future I would pick 6 numbers for Wednesday night and retire one the proceeds.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It doesn't wear as big as you think, it's the thickness of the case that put me off and the extra text on the rehaut. Probably the shortest I have kept a watch, they will be disco tiniest now and prices will go mental.

Pitch

A great looking watch and I agree with your sentiments exactly. It took me a short while to get used to my Mk1 version, but I absolutely love it now and cant imagine ever selling it.

A gratuitous 'Its Friday' shot of mine, which I couldn't post from my phone on Friday as I was bust sipping beers at the Monastic Brewery in Prague (and lacked the technical nouse to know how to do it).

So sorry to hear about your Dad.

Sorry for your loss. Let's get that beer in June as you're right life is for living, and I hope you get to enjoy that watch for many decades to come.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    - 12800ft vs 4000ft (yes, I know)
    - James Cameron dial
    - No cyclops
    - Original gas escape etc text (I like that aspect)
    - It has been around for a while so more freely available and cheaper secondhand
    Personally I find the Deep Sea a bit different and the SD43 just looks like a big Sub (of which I have had and sold more than one)

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    Do you have it on a rubber b? If so I would love to see pics as I am considering same for mine. Thanks.

I only wear mine on a Rubber B. Incredibly comfortable and I reckon looks pretty dashing in the red too.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Utzq1b]

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post

I only wear mine on a Rubber B. Incredibly comfortable and I reckon looks pretty dashing in the red too.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Utzq1b]

Master
    That looks mega. I think that the rubber b in black with the green stripe would be good with the D blue.

Master
    Paul

Only catching up on this now. Didn't realise your Dad had passed away, sorry to hear.

Glad you are still enjoying it 3 days in, fantastic watch, love mine to bits. Its big but its comfy and theres nothing else quite like it.

Maybe I am alone but I always thought lugs should never overhang the wrist.

Sorry, this watch is way too big for you IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by proby24 View Post
    Maybe I am alone but I always thought lugs should never overhang the wrist.

Sorry, this watch is way too big for you IMHO.
    And I respectfully disagree 😀

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    I love the colour of the dial, comments aside regarding size, I would like to see less text just to enjoy that dial.
    Great choice.

Master
    When wearing I tend to look more at that amazing domed crystal, but the blue dial is always in the background
    😀😀😀

Blog Entries
    Many thanks once again chaps for your kind words.

Cliff - Mrs P wears my PAM312 and there has already been mention that Ms Theron does but the thought of her crashing through shop swing doors with the DSSD is a thought that makes me weep.
    Jason - I think I will have to invest and give it a try, there are so many good things read about the Rubber B.
    Maysie - Lovely shot and thank you.
    Graham - we will have to grab that beer, definitely.
    Nev - Thanks buddy for all your assistance and kind works.

Well I am several days in now and the watch just feels so right.

I have been wearing the DSSD (evenings out and yesterday) in rotation over the past week with my 14060 (during the day) and swapping them around it does not feel oversized one bit and it does get noticed, a lot. Even the matt black dial is proving a real hit over the glossy sub.

The heat of this week again has proved how fantastic the gridlock is, it is truly a work of art.

There is no doubt, for me this is one hell of a watch and I love it. The events leading up to and reason for purchasing just makes it even more special.

If you are thinking and considering one, do it, I am sure it will not disappoint.

Pitch

Master
    Blog Entries

For me, a watch looks too large when the lugs appear to extend beyond the wrist - yours look as though they're not doing that. Looks good and it is a lovely watch.