closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tag Heuer Connected - new model for May 2017 release

Apprentice

Tag Heuer Connected - new model for May 2017 release

So it appears that Tag sold triple the volume of smartwatches compared to expectations and will be introducing an improved model later this year.

Does anyone have one of the current versions or is anyone considering one of the new ones - dependent upon the spec of course?

I see you can trade it for a proper Carrera mechanical watch after two years with an upgrade cost of £1,100 - although it's unclear whether such an option will be available for the new model and details are sketchy as to what the watch they'll be offering will look like (does anyone have such information?).

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/1400...th-nfc-and-gps

Quote Originally Posted by marathonic View Post
    So it appears that Tag sold triple the volume of smartwatches compared to expectations and will be introducing an improved model later this year.

Does anyone have one of the current versions or is anyone considering one of the new ones - dependent upon the spec of course?

I see you can trade it for a proper Carrera mechanical watch after two years with an upgrade cost of £1,100 - although it's unclear whether such an option will be available for the new model and details are sketchy as to what the watch they'll be offering will look like (does anyone have such information?).

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/1400...th-nfc-and-gps
    All I would say if you have a iPhone think twice, mine struggled to connect so I ended up selling it.

Master
    I get what an Apple Watch does. And Fit bit types, but what does this one actually do? It's connected to your phone via Bluetooth for what? A pedometer? Heart rate?

Not a dig at Tag as I've wondered it about the other connected types

I have a friend in an AD and he told me only a few weeks back that the TAG Connected watch sold about 10 in their shop and then sales completely dried up. He commented that the decline in sales on the product was the most severe they have ever experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    I get what an Apple Watch does. And Fit bit types, but what does this one actually do? It's connected to your phone via Bluetooth for what? A pedometer? Heart rate?

Not a dig at Tag as I've wondered it about the other connected types

Forget that it's made by Tag - it's a android wear watch, that is the software that actually runs it, dozens of companies make them, it's just fi you want a pay a massive premium for one simply because it says Tag - you can read about all the functionality here:

https://www.wareable.com/android-wea...d-to-know-2735

Casio also do one under the pro-trek line (which seems to have more hardware features):

http://www.digitaltrends.com/wearabl...atch-ces-2017/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeThoughts View Post
    I have a friend in an AD and he told me only a few weeks back that the TAG Connected watch sold about 10 in their shop and then sales completely dried up. He commented that the decline in sales on the product was the most severe they have ever experienced.
    That's exactly what I originally thought would happen and yet Tag seem to be giving the impression that this is a great seller. Which is the large scale truth, I wonder? Perhaps some ADs are significantly better positioned to sell this sort of thing than others.

There's an element of the TAG smart watch thing I just don't get. Bluntly, if I want a slice of hi tech gadgetry I'd rather buy it from Apple, or even Casio for that matter. The leaders in a particular field. Trying to sell them as watches is missing the point imho.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    That's exactly what I originally thought would happen and yet Tag seem to be giving the impression that this is a great seller. Which is the large scale truth, I wonder? Perhaps some ADs are significantly better positioned to sell this sort of thing than others.
    Think about the audience who would be interested in this - they can and would buy direct from Tag.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Think about the audience who would be interested in this - they can and would buy direct from Tag.
    Ah, I wasn't aware that this was available direct from Tag. To be honest, I hadn't bothered to look! Yes, the direct model for this sort of luxury/tech item is the obvious one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    There's an element of the TAG smart watch thing I just don't get. Bluntly, if I want a slice of hi tech gadgetry I'd rather buy it from Apple, or even Casio for that matter. The leaders in a particular field. Trying to sell them as watches is missing the point imho.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    I agree. If you want a higher end watch, to get one. If you want a smart watch, you get a smart watch. I don't think the gap is close enough that both aspects can be covered by one watch, maybe one day but not yet

Journeyman
    For what it's worth, TAG Heuer believes they could sell 150,000 units/ annum...to put that in context, that's roughly the annual volume of JLC and IWC combined.

I'd be surprised if it's that high, but the Connected2 will be very different from the first one, so maybe they're right

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Ah, I wasn't aware that this was available direct from Tag. To be honest, I hadn't bothered to look! Yes, the direct model for this sort of luxury/tech item is the obvious one.

You can see why Tag is so happy - you've got the direct relationship plus no middle-man taking his cut...

Master
    Blog Entries
    I was tempted to try one of these but when I heard they were bringing out the second model already I just thought the current model will drop by in value soon

Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    I was tempted to try one of these but when I heard they were bringing out the second model already I just thought the current model will drop by in value soon
    You will see this virtually every year simply because although you can update Android Wear to older watches - every time they release a new version, it will better optimum hardware and things that simply will not work on older harder. This is a consumer electronics device that also happens to be shaped like a watch.

Craftsman
    From this article, its sounds as though there may be a couple of new models, in different sizes. That, a bigger battery, brighter screen, and GPS, sounds like a decent update to me.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/01/20/...n-it-expected/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    You will see this virtually every year simply because although you can update Android Wear to older watches - every time they release a new version, it will better optimum hardware and things that simply will not work on older harder. This is a consumer electronics device that also happens to be shaped like a watch.
    Spot on!

Not to mention that within 3 years the battery won't hold a charge properly. Certainly not investment pieces, these electronic "watches" appeal to a different demographic.

Master
    Had some lino laid yesterday and the guy was wearing a Connected 2.
    Looked great from 6 foot away, liked the strap, intrigued by the virtual dial.
    He couldn't see the point of the Mechanical option 'Plus it's another £Grand'..
    Said the battery was crap (not quite lasting the day out) and that was the exact point my own interest in the Watch evaporated.
    Interestingly he'd bought into the whole Brand and Swiss made bit though.
    I should have asked what made him spend £1000 on it over an F1 or Aquaracer.