closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: GMT Bezel insert

Master
    Blog Entries

GMT Bezel insert

I have just been told by a local AD that Rolex will no longer let me swap a black bezel insert on my GMT for a Pepsi or coke insert? can anybody confirm whether or not this is the case and if I was to source one and have it fitted would this be an issue when the watch is serviced?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    I have just been told by a local AD that Rolex will no longer let me swap a black bezel insert on my GMT for a Pepsi or coke insert? can anybody confirm whether or not this is the case and if I was to source one and have it fitted would this be an issue when the watch is serviced?
    My AD changed the black bezel of my 16710 to that of a Coke (black and red) as part of a service, but they insisted on retaining the old bezel. This happen about 10 weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    My AD changed the black bezel of my 16710 to that of a Coke (black and red) as part of a service, but they insisted on retaining the old bezel. This happen about 10 weeks ago.

This wasn't a full service through an AD, but this may information may be helpful. In the last two weeks I have exchanged black bezel inserts on a 16700 and a 16710 at Rolex St James. On both occasions I purchased the bezel outright and had it fitted while I waited, the original black bezel insert was returned to me. The cost for this was about £55. If you want the bezel replaced o an exchange basis the cost is around £35.

Quote Originally Posted by Hackett.dp View Post
    This wasn't a full service through an AD, but this may information may be helpful. In the last two weeks I have exchanged black bezel inserts on a 16700 and a 16710 at Rolex St James. On both occasions I purchased the bezel outright and had it fitted while I waited, the original black bezel insert was returned to me. The cost for this was about £55. If you want the bezel replaced o an exchange basis the cost is around £35.

Seems remarkably good value!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thank you for the information. I will ring them and check.

Master
    Genuine parts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fordystar View Post
    Genuine parts?

I've done the same at Rolex St James back in March of this year.

And yes of course genuine parts, this is a Rolex establishment.

Journeyman
    So any idea how bezel changing Mods affect resale investment potential on a Rolex GMT? Does it? I guess the reference number will always give away the change? But then if it's a keeper and you have the original then I suspect it's ok as long as Rolex or an AD has undertaken the switch and you have the service papers ?

It doesn't. Especially so if you retain the original.

Master

GMT Bezel insert

Quote Originally Posted by colin t View Post
    I've done the same at Rolex St James back in March of this year.

And yes of course genuine parts, this is a Rolex establishment.
    Ok thanks, was just surprised at what seems very good value, I know it's ceramic but an insert on my dssd was astronomical in comparison.

Last edited by fordystar; 21st May 2017 at 12:17.

I did the same in February - a while I waited switch from black to Pepsi for my 16700, plus the black was returned to me.

They confirmed they would also have fitted a coke bezel if I wanted, even though the 16700 was only produced with black or Pepsi.

Quote Originally Posted by Dejay View Post
    So any idea how bezel changing Mods affect resale investment potential on a Rolex GMT? Does it? I guess the reference number will always give away the change? But then if it's a keeper and you have the original then I suspect it's ok as long as Rolex or an AD has undertaken the switch and you have the service papers ?
    They are all 16710s (I believe some later ones were marked 16710LN though) so can have whichever bezel insert one chooses.

I have all three but originally it was coke. Currently it's a Pepsi.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    They are all 16710s (I believe some later ones were marked 16710LN though) so can have whichever bezel insert one chooses.

Well that's what I thought but the local AD was adamant if couldn't be changed

So is this service only available at st james??
    I assume if you send it away to Rolex it's done on exchange but why do st james allow you to keep the old one??

The reason I ask is because I'm in London next weekend and fancy a root beer insert in my tt GMT, could I order an insert then pop in to have it fitted and keep the existing one??

Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    The reason I ask is because I'm in London next weekend and fancy a root beer insert in my tt GMT, could I order an insert then pop in to have it fitted and keep the existing one??
    Rolex St James Sq. is closed on weekends, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    So is this service only available at st james??
    I assume if you send it away to Rolex it's done on exchange but why do st james allow you to keep the old one??
    I didn't think so, my impression was that you can exchange the insert at any AD, and keep the existing one if you pay the extra (as above).

Quote Originally Posted by colin t View Post
    Rolex St James Sq. is closed on weekends, unfortunately.
    Ah, i will still be there on teusday, will give them a call tomorrow

Journeyman
    Good to know this information. Will let me change the bezel but I can always go back.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    It was a busy morning at Rolex St. James's this morning. I arrived about 1100 for a bezel insert swap from pepsi to coke for my 16710. I was told I was the 5th one that morning requesting an insert swap! Excellent service, done while I waited and £55 all in to keep the old insert as well.

Quote Originally Posted by groyn View Post
    It was a busy morning at Rolex St. James's this morning. I arrived about 1100 for a bezel insert swap from pepsi to coke for my 16710. I was told I was the 5th one that morning requesting an insert swap! Excellent service, done while I waited and £55 all in to keep the old insert as well.
    Did you also receive the nifty little bezel tin... and pick up the substantial catalogue? :)

Craftsman
    ^
    Oh yes! and the Tudor catalogue as well

Master

Mine is, I think 2003 (has lug holes) and the swing tag is marked LN - I thought this meant Lunette Noir, for the black bezel. In any case it has a Pepsi now and RSJ would have swapped it for me.

Master

My understanding is the provenance can be worked out by the hangtag:

16710 (No letters) = Coke
    16710 LN = Black
    16719 BLRO = Pepsi

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    Not the best website for GMT research!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by groyn View Post
    That seems incredibly reasonable. Better than the service quote i received for my Daytona for which i could have bought something really nice.!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dejay View Post
    That seems incredibly reasonable. Better than the service quote i received for my Daytona for which i could have bought something really nice.!!!!!!!
    It's the same as I paid a couple of years ago.

It was £37 exchange or £55 if you kept the old one.