closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A walk theough Burlington Arcade

Craftsman

A walk theough Burlington Arcade

While looking round for something to buy, I took a very pleasant stroll though Burlington Arcade.

Started off really well with a Laduree macaron shop, which I resisted I might add, and then the shiny stuff came. Tons and tons of Rolexes, which sort of puts me off them. But there was a very nice display of moonwatches and speedys right at the end.

I don't know whether the prices were reasonable, as I didn't know much about the majority of watches that I was looking at.

Apologies for some of the pictures, as I was getting told off for licking the windows too much.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Master
    very nice watches in top order but very very high prices. I suspect it works for wealthy tourists who will sometimes get a currency exchange benefit. Or individuals who've always wanted a particular model and price is not the main consideration.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    very nice watches in top order but very very high prices. I suspect it works for wealthy tourists who will sometimes get a currency exchange benefit. Or individuals who've always wanted a particular model and price is not the main consideration.
    You cannot be certain that they are in top order. They were probably bought from someone and then checked over in Hatton Garden by a friendly watchmaker. If he pronounces it ok, then it is sold with say a 6-12 month warranty. The chances are that it is just in OK condition and yet the prices are mad. If it goes wrong, the friendly watchmaker fixes it at trade price and the punter is happy and the dealer still makes a far profit. All you are paying for is the astronomical rents that the dealers have to pay for being there.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    You cannot be certain that they are in top order. They were probably bought from someone and then checked over in Hatton Garden by a friendly watchmaker. If he pronounces it ok, then it is sold with say a 6-12 month warranty. The chances are that it is just in OK condition and yet the prices are mad. If it goes wrong, the friendly watchmaker fixes it at trade price and the punter is happy and the dealer still makes a far profit. All you are paying for is the astronomical rents that the dealers have to pay for being there.
    Probably very true tbh I was thinking more of casework rather than the engine.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Google reckons about £600 per sq ft! rising to a GRAND per sq ft pa in the not too distant.
    Blimey, no wonder their watches are overpriced!

Master
    Blog Entries
    No lack of choice - though occasional lack of taste (thinking jewel encrusted Daytona here).

Prices aside, it looks a great place to browse

Thanks for posting

ATB

Jon

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    Google reckons about £600 per sq ft! rising to a GRAND per sq ft pa in the not too distant.
    My first thought was - how many macarons need to be sold for the rent?

Master
    Outrageous prices. Very close to my work so I pop through sometimes as a voyeur only. As said tourist hot spot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use Burlington Arcade to try stuff on you can't normally, then buy elsewhere at sensible pricing. I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    My first thought was - how many macarons need to be sold for the rent?
    It's not the point in this case I think. It's a status address, and a lot of the turnover at Ladurée is probably done B2B. Unlike the watch merchants.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I'd be interested to know what they want for that Monaco unless it's a reissue.

It must be heaven for those who don't worry about price, some of the Submariners at the Vintage Watch Company are absolutely incredible. Just look at that 1961 Submariner with pointed crown guards, a birth year watch for me. I am guessing North of £30k, but that probably deserves the title of grail watch for me.

http://www.vintagewatchcompany.com/submariner

Craftsman
    That's a lot of watches in one place. Great for a browse I would imagine

R the dealers there quite helpful?
    Did they mind you trying on watches ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ribena36 View Post

They don't even like you going in their shop!
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Blog Entries
    Indeed a good place to see hard to get models due to the pricing. I think I saw the following used Pateks back in Nov last year: 5711 blue / 5711 white / 5167 and 5164. All in Duggans

Good viewing, OTT pricing (for me).
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I have to agree unfortunately, such a rude attitude from some blokes there, they don't even look at you as a customer if you're only dressed as an ordinary person.

Master
    Blog Entries
    As above really. Nice place for a 20 min stroll if you're at a loose end. I've no idea who buys from them but I'd imagine they earn rather a lot more that I do!

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    Wouldn't that make the watches well priced then?

People quoting on this thread that prices are mad and profits are high, then saying rents are extortionate and overheads high - you can't have it both ways.

Of course prices are going to be higher than the watch dealers that pay Hull rents, or those working from a home office but they're the ones who will be making more profit per watch than those operating from the most prestigious Watch Arcade in London.

Master
    Great photos, thanks for posting.
    Will definately put spending some time there on my list when the Lottery Win comes in !
    Loving the '71 Monaco, how much was it ????

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-vintage-rolex

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Ah yes, I remember posting in that thread too!
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    I certainly wouldn't assume that all those rarities in the Vintage Rolex store are perfect examples of what they claim to be.

Admittedly speculation on my part, but given the attitude of the guys working in that place, as well as the transient nature of their target market (almost entirely Chinese tourists from what I've seen), I'd be very surprised if they were untouched, unbastardised examples. I certainly wouldn't think of purchasing a DRSD or Newman Daytona or the like from them.

I can vouch for David Duggan however, whom I've found to be helpful and (relatively) reasonably priced on a couple of occasions.

Master
    I haven't read the post but here's my summary of Burlington Arcade.

Wow, look at that rare watch, OMG the price!! Oh look at that, don't see many of those, although the bezel looks wrong and that lume shady, OMG the price!! Oh I just saw one of those brand new in the store up the road, OMG the price!!! Oh look, a tourist just bought it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribena36 View Post

I didnt actually go into any of them. Not even the macaron shop!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by OHG1X View Post
    Great photos, thanks for posting.
    Will definately put spending some time there on my list when the Lottery Win comes in !
    Loving the '71 Monaco, how much was it ????
    That was one of the items that didn't have a price on it.

Funnily enough, most of the pieces I liked didn't have a price on them! :(

Quote Originally Posted by Alan C View Post
    I didnt actually go into any of them. Not even the macaron shop!

They are exquisite macarons. Better from Harrods though where they have a LaDuree tearoom near the watch salon - the owner must be a WIS :)

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    their target market (almost entirely Chinese tourists from what I've seen).
    We buy their cheap crap (too much of it) and they buy our expensive crap (not enough of it). Get Liam Fox on the case.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post

Wow, look at that rare watch, OMG the price!! Oh look at that, don't see many of those, although the bezel looks wrong and that lume shady, OMG the price!! Oh I just saw one of those brand new in the store up the road, OMG the price!!! Oh look, a tourist just bought it.

I'm with you and with MadeOfCheese; too many too-good-to-be-true watches in one particular window. Though as someone else on here noted, that doesn't apply to David Duggan. He had a ref 6542 GMT a while back that I spent a good ten minutes gawping at.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    We buy their cheap crap (too much of it) and they buy our expensive crap (not enough of it). Get Liam Fox on the case.

This

And I wouldn't be surprised if some kind of money laundering would be happening there...

Craftsman
    I do enjoy a stroll through there (preferably losing the missus in Laduree...). Duggans have always been extremely helpful but I know what you mean about the Rolex place.

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post

Yeah and, if you whistle when you see the prices, they kick you out of the arcade.