closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Horological blind alleys: The electronic watch movement

Hybrid View

Horological blind alleys: The electronic watch movement

I have recently had my eyes opened to the charms of the electronic watch, whose heritage dates back to the first electric watch movements of the late 1950's. This happenstance occurred following the unintentional purchase of one of the last of the breed, a Seiko Elnix electronic balance watch dating from 1973. Prior to diving in, I confess to having known precisely nothing about electronic and electric watches, other than a general awareness of the charms of the celebrated hummers. Anyway, my particular educational journey started here:

and concluded here:

The intermediate steps are recounted in an entry on my blog, which if you are so disposed to peruse, can be found here.

Martin
    Last edited by MartinCRC; 4th March 2018 at 17:20.

Horologic blind alleys: The electronic watch movement

Brilliant blog Martin, very interesting, thanks. A lovely watch as well. Since I chanced on my ESA 9154 based watch recently I've discovered there are quite a few experts and enthusiasts who appreciate these electric/electronic watches.
    Last edited by alfat33; 19th May 2017 at 19:08. Reason: Deleting my pics - just distracting

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Brilliant blog Martin, very interesting, thanks. A lovely watch as well. Since I chanced on my ESA 9154 based watch recently I've discovered there are quite a few experts and enthusiasts who appreciate these electric/electronic watches.
    No worries about your photos. I'm as interested as the next man to see other examples. Thanks for the nice comment about the blog.
    Last edited by MartinCRC; 20th May 2017 at 10:03.

I know it may seem daft, but there is a particular delight in observing a movement fitted with a balance AND a battery, springing into life either when the battery is pushed into place or when the crown is pushed in from its setting position. The second of these somewhat less startling than the first but nevertheless, yes, a deeply weird sense of delight, particularly in this age of SMART everything.

https://youtu.be/KElX4mtHJyY

The movement, incidentally, runs at a brisk 28800 bph.

Martin

Craftsman
    You know what's funny? I knew about electronic watches, but I've never, ever seen any watch with a faceted crystal - it never even crossed my mind. It looks absolutely amazing, it fits the overall design so well, and with that lightning bolt emblem and the bracelet, this watch just blows my mind. Thank you ever so much for creating this thread!

Horologic blind alleys: The electronic watch movement

Quote Originally Posted by lasz View Post
    You know what's funny? I knew about electronic watches, but I've never, ever seen any watch with a faceted crystal - it never even crossed my mind. It looks absolutely amazing, it fits the overall design so well, and with that lightning bolt emblem and the bracelet, this watch just blows my mind. Thank you ever so much for creating this thread!
    Thanks! The first time I encountered faceted watch crystals I thought them a bit naff but I've acquired the taste and now really like them. The only snag is that they are somewhat more vulnerable to damage.

As to this particular watch, I think it's design an almost perfect reflection of the period. A really fun watch to wear.

Martin
    Last edited by MartinCRC; 20th May 2017 at 07:03.

Thanks for the post and your own weblink is a great read, well done.

Master
    Really enjoyed reading. Excellent skills and detail on blog. Will read other posts with interest.

Really like the watch as well