closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Watches

Craftsman

Interesting Watches

Afternoon guys,

Soon I will be in the market for my first watch over £1000. For some this is a small budget, for me this is a huge deal.
    It will be a long time before I will be able to do this again so want to ensure I make a decision I won't regret.

I am not asking 'what's the BEST watch' or 'what's the best INVESTMENT watch' although these may also have the same answers....

I am asking 'what is the most interesting (in your opinion) watch for under £1500'.

This could be to look at, or has the most interesting history story behind them, or has the most interesting movement.

I am sorry if this has been asked before..... I couldn't find anything.
    Look forward to you opinions.

Thanks
    James

Edited - the below is kind of redundant as I missed the £1500 in the original post ��

Might help if you say the top end of your budget - you'll always get people suggesting over this anyway, but might weed out some unaffordable answers. Is your budget exactly £1000, or can you go to £1500, £2000 etc ?

If you want interesting then I would suggest something vintage.

Grand Master
    If buying used, try for a good omega 2254.
    Great looking, iconic and prices are rising so if you buy the right example you won't lose money. £1500 should get a decent example.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.chef View Post
    If you want interesting then I would suggest something vintage.
    Anything in particular to look out for?

Master
    Seiko golden tuna. Very interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Anything in particular to look out for?
    Tudor oysters and Omega constellations/Seamasters would be my choice
    You didn't mention what sort of this your after
    What do you like the look of?

You get some interesting Omega speedmaster racing watches in that budget range, Chronos based on the 7750 with various complications like triple date, date only etc. Been looking at them myself as a first "Nice Watch". If you want to go new, brands like Longines, Oris, Hamilton, Sinn, Nomos, all have interesting watches in that price bracket. Edited to stick a picture in of one of the speedmaster triple date.
    Last edited by Frakius; 19th May 2017 at 16:54.

Hi, has anything caught your eye since you joined?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    If buying used, try for a good omega 2254.
    Great looking, iconic and prices are rising so if you buy the right example you won't lose money. £1500 should get a decent example.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Apologies for my lack of Seamaster knowledge, but from your point of view, what makes this an 'Interesting' watch? Are you referring to the looks of the watch? At the moment value isn't really a key factor, it would just be a bonus.
    Last edited by Taylor; 24th May 2017 at 08:55.

I would have a look through the Friday thread, plenty of watches in there and loads of them will be within your budget.

Craftsman
    Apologies for the lack of detail.

Since joining, I have built a love for the speedmaster pro. I find this watch fascinating in terms of the story behind them, but looking into the movement I find it a work of art how a mechanical chronograph works with the clutches etc.
    Digging deeper and deeper into a watch is what I love to do, hence why I am asking for your opinions of interesting watches within my budget that I can dig deep into and research anything and everything about the piece and be proud to wear it.

The Speedy is out of my budget so is not an option, maybe in a year or two.
    Last edited by Taylor; 19th May 2017 at 17:05.

Master
    Assuming that we are talking new prices, I would be looking at a Nomos for around £1500.

For something more conventional but interesting maybe a Longines Hydroconquest chrono. Personally, I like the look of some Alpina watches as well.

The only downside is that you MAY take a big hit in terms of residuals if you go "interesting" and decide to sell the watch at a later date.

Available soon at £1595, the 6B Mk3 'Scramble'. I think that it looks very interesting indeed.

Edit - certainly ticks the microbrand box.
    Last edited by Mr Curta; 20th May 2017 at 09:13.

Craftsman
    Seiko Spring Drive

Master
    Blog Entries
    Probably not for you because of your interest in Speedies... but in divers, the Seiko Marinemaster 300 is a great watch, probably available new from Europe for your budget. There is a great heritage to Seiko and their divers, with the characteristic crown at 4, a movement made in the Grand Seiko works (its sometimes described as an undecorated GS movement), fantastic legibility day and night and an unusual tonneau case design, which makes it very comfortable on the wrist. It looks smaller than the 44mm case suggests but is still a hefty beast. I think they are interesting and they exude quality.

Master
    You really want a Speedie; save yourself hassle and expense by saving until you have enough money. Difficult I know, but the best long-term option.

Grand Master
    Thanks for the suggestion. Apologies for my lack of Seamster knowledge, but from your point of view, what makes this an 'Interesting' watch? Are you referring to the looks of the watch? At the moment value isn't really a key factor, it would just be a bonus.
    This is mine (not for sale)😜
    It's a beautiful looking watch, and is now thought as one of Omegas best looking designs. It's been discontinued a few years now and good examples are getting harder and pricier to find. In my opinion this is one watch that's a future classic. If you have access there is a nice one in sc right now!

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I would have a look through the Friday thread, plenty of watches in there and loads of them will be within your budget.
    This
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    This is mine (not for sale)😜
    It's a beautiful looking watch, and is now thought as one of Omegas best looking designs. It's been discontinued a few years now and good examples are getting harder and pricier to find. In my opinion this is one watch that's a future classic. If you have access there is a nice one in sc right now!

That really is a lovely watch. I've seen the one in SC but think I'll have to give it a miss as I will need at least a few weeks to make a decision.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Thank you all for your suggestions.

Are there any mechanical chronagraphs in £1000-£1500? Or should I just rule them out?

It's such a personal thing . Depends if you want to buy new or used. Modern or vintage. 42mm+ or 36mm- . Diver or dress. Only advice I would say is - £1k is never a small amount of money. Go try a variety of styles and options on. And most of all don't rush in and do an impulse buy. Good luck and let us know how the journey went and what you decided to buy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apologies for the lack of detail.

Since joining, I have built a love for the speedmaster pro. I find this watch fascinating in terms of the story behind them, but looking into the movement I find it a work of art how a mechanical chronograph works with the clutches etc.
    Digging deeper and deeper into a watch is what I love to do, hence why I am asking for your opinions of interesting watches within my budget that I can dig deep into and research anything and everything about the piece and be proud to wear it.

The Speedy is out of my budget so is not an option, maybe in a year or two.
    Speedy reduced is on budget tho...

Grand Master

Are there any mechanical chronagraphs in £1000-£1500? Or should I just rule them out?

Literally hundreds! Speedmaster reduced should be easily within budget, but think about size, which dial layout, colour etc to help narrow it down. i personally like the look of these even though i've never seen one in the metal, but i would expect to lose money hand over fist on it! I've seen them for about £1k before now.

http://www.gemnation.com/watches/Fre...6B6-21155.html
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    It's such a personal thing . Depends if you want to buy new or used. Modern or vintage. 42mm+ or 36mm- . Diver or dress. Only advice I would say is - £1k is never a small amount of money. Go try a variety of styles and options on. And most of all don't rush in and do an impulse buy. Good luck and let us know how the journey went and what you decided to buy

Thank you. I definitely won't be rushing to buy something.
    My watch knowledge and history has been very much sub £500 automatic seiko/hamilton market. I've never looked too deep into the over £1k market which is why I'm here asking for help looking as this is a whole new ball game for me.
    I think used would be the wayto go as my money would go a lot further than new.
    The ideal situation would be a versatile watch, smart casual/dress/chill time on the couch staring at it.

Ok I'll randomly name a few relatively different pieces ( you know the plethora of suggestions from everyone will have your head in a spin right 🤣)?
    Squale gmt ceramic tropical
    Tudor oyster prince
    Longines hydroconquest
    Any Oris
    All of these in used market would give you £200-£400 change from your £1000. AlwAys good to buy a few straps. Just thought I'd add a few cheaper options to the excellent suggestions made so far. Def auto? You could get a lovely omega aqua terra for a grand albeit Quartz...

Craftsman
    Great suggestions, thank you. The Tudor is new to me.
    Definitely mechanical. Hand wound or auto, preferably hand wound as I don't have one.

Are there any uk microbrands that are in this bracket that have an interesting story behind them?

So much choice. Interesting, maybe a used Sinn U2 or U1. As a long term keeper, maybe a Seamaster SMP300m, or a loose, well worn Planet Ocean at a push.

There are always the better Seiko models, including the MM300, but I can't get on with the bracelet on it - still, the watch looks fabulous.
    It's just a matter of time...

If you're lucky, you may pick up a Zenith El Primero for £1500 - one of the greatest chronograph movements ever produced. Neil at Chronomaster has a nice Rainbow sports model for just under £1700.

You could always have a look at a vintage Poljot or Sturmanskie 3133 mechanical chronograph for £100 to £200 as a taster.

The Longines Legend Diver that just appeared on SC.

compessor case. Re-issue of a 1960's classic, historical brand, great buy.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Sinn 103
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

I'd look at the 38.5mm Sinn 356 pilot chronograph with acrylic crystal

Journeyman
    Around that value I'd look at a Guinand chrono or a Nomos.

Not a micro brand but Damasko are very interesting and mostly around £1k. I had one (recently sold it) and it was amazing. Crown screw in system was the best I've seen on any watch. The nickel free stainless steel was the hardest most scratch resistant I've seen also. Plus pretty much guaranteed none of your mates will have heard of them. Depends if you like that or not.

Craftsman
    Plus pretty much guaranteed none of your mates will have heard of them. Depends if you like that or not.
    I would secretly love this. This is the reason I asked about microbrands. I'm well aware that not only my friends haven't heard of them, but I haven't heard of them and need to make sure I don't miss out on any gems because of that.

I would secretly love this. This is the reason I asked about microbrands. I'm well aware that not only my friends haven't heard of them, but I haven't heard of them and need to make sure I don't miss out on any gems because of that.

this is the one I sold. It's 8 yrs old and was worn hard, and honestly it didn't even have a swirlie on it. Hard as nails seriously. This is the simplest they do - most have bezels but they hold their value well. Think I got £750 for mine which isn't much less than RRP after 8 yrs. go research them they have a lot of horological innovations and well worth half an hours research. This is half the fun of the hobby

Craftsman
    Will do, cheers

If you're looking for chronographs, there are plenty of 7750 based chronic within your budget. For real historical interest you should be able to find something with a Lemania 5100 movement or,as already mentioned, an El Primero.

You could have a look at some Sinn or Porsche Design models within your budget.

Here's my PD along with a vintage Picard.

Also, some Tag Heuer chronos have interesting histories.

I find it difficult to figure out what "interesting" means for you. In general I would say vintage will be much more interesting.
    Here is an "interesting" vintage full calendar chrono:
    http://www.ebay.de/itm/Ultra-Rare-Do...vip=true&rt=nc

However one of the most important aspect is dayly use. If this would be your one watch which you go to even swimm with then it rules out many (not all) vintage pieces. For every day use I would go for a modern(ish) piece. Sinn is difficult to ignore in this price range as well as Damasko, Fortis, or Guinand. Some used to make chronos with hand wound ETA 7765. With this movement you can also find a vintage Heuer like this:
    https://www.uhrboerse.com/katalog/he...-7765-um-1975/
    This would also buy you a military issued Tutima chrono with Lemania 5100, or a Porsche Design chrono.
    Not bad in my view. Non any of them would be well known out of WIS world.
    As was mentioned before your budget is not far from a Zenith with the famous El Primero movement. Rich history and relatively unknown for most people.
    Makes a good competition to the Speedmaster and I definitely prefer over the Speedy reduced.

There are planty of good choices out there within budget. It would worth to trying to be a bit more specific what interest you and narrow your search down.
    Good hunting

Sent from my SM-T230 using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by troymcclure72 View Post
    Seiko golden tuna. Very interesting!
    Another vote for the tuna from me.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by witti View Post
    There are planty of good choices out there within budget. It would worth to trying to be a bit more specific what interest you and narrow your search down.
    Good hunting
    Thank you for you suggestions.

Just to clarify. The question is not 'what do you think I would find interesting', it's 'what do YOU find interesting'.

Last edited by Taylor; 20th May 2017 at 09:43.

Thank you for you suggestions.

Just to clarify. The question is not 'what do you think I would find interesting', it's 'what do YOU find interesting'.

I certainly know what is interesting for ME. Because I'm guessing being myself more into watches my interest is always changing slightly however (even though there are "evergreens"). If you really want to know what catches my attention lately is panda dial chronos. I think I've never had one and wouldn't mind one for my next purchase.

Sent from my SM-T230 using TZ-UK mobile app

Banned
    How about this PRS-42?

http://www.timefactors.com/precista.htm

I find it interesting.

I'll second the Sinn 103 acrylic. Had my hands on one a few times and really like it. Not sure how many other Sinn models are around your budget but some of them are quite interesing.

Plenty of Seiko models in your budget I find interesting. Actually I would think about buying 2; a Shogun and a quartz Tuna.

To be perfectly honest I think I would buy a used Omega Seamaster. I've never had an Omega so would jump at the chance if I had the money.

This Sinn is nice

Speedsonic,interesting,different and vintage

Craftsman
    That Sinn is nice.

I went into Goldsmiths in Reading just now to take a look at their Omega range and grab a brochure. It was fairly quiet with staff standing around but no matter how keen I looked, not one person bothered approaching me. I guess the beard, jeans, t shirt, skate shoes and a non well known watch on put them off. I did see one of the staff looking to see what watch i was wearing.
    Niw granted I wasn't going to buy anything today, but to be acknowledged would have been nice and would encourage me to go back there when funds allow.

Banned
    That's disappointing. I was offered a beer just for having a look at G Shocks in Goldsmiths Buchanan Galleries in Glasgow and I really don't look ££££. Try a different store?

Quote Originally Posted by James_ View Post
    That's disappointing. I was offered a beer just for having a look at G Shocks in Goldsmiths Buchanan Galleries in Glasgow and I really don't look ££££. Try a different store?
    Beer compulsory in Glasgow even in dentists

Banned
    Ah I always wondered what the stuff used to rinse your mouth out with with is.

Beer compulsory in Glasgow even in dentists

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by James_ View Post
    That doesn't surprise me in the slightest. Not because of stereotypes but because i find the Northern UK's customer service exceptional in comparison to down here (my personal experience).