closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any snorkelers here, advice please

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire

Any snorkelers here, advice please

Hi,

Last year I went to the Caribbean on a cruise. I wanted to try a bit of snorkeling and borrowed my bros gopro. I hired the snorkel kit on the beach. I will be going again later this year, but want my own kit. Does anyone have any advice re this. I wont spend a fortune and its probably only going to get used once or twice a year. A dry snorkel is a must. I have looked at a set from Cressi, consisting of a Marea mask, Ultra Dry snorkel and Palau fins, this comes in at £60, which seems reasonable and appears to have good reviews. Is there anything else I could look at, it just seems a minefield and each dealer, shop, has different kit which they say is the best. Thanks in advance for any info, advice and tips.

Heres a short vid of last years snorkeling.

https://youtu.be/XwczefD2WqM

Stuart

Master
    I dive and snorkel; my advice would be to try on any mask you like the look of and make sure it fits properly. This is something you don't want to get wrong.
    It's also a good idea to get a rash vest (if you've not done so already) I got quite badly burnt once and never now get in the water without it.
    Time can fly by when you're in/on the water!

Edit - The same applies to fins, don't buy them on the internet until you've tried them on for size first.

Master
    Masks are like shoes, they have to fit. Goto a dive shop to try at least. Put mask on without strap and inhale thru nose then wait to see if any air leaks past seal and mask falls off.

Yep go to a proper dive shop and get help trying and selecting a mask that fits you. It makes a big difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about one of these mask/snorkel all in ones. Not tried one personally but seems to have good reviews.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/easybrea...d_8304664.html

Apprentice
    Not so much about the snorkelling kit but I was recommended to use a red filter on the GoPro. Apparently it gives a better colour balance on your vids. Having said that your vid looks fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't use a red filter snorkeling, everything will come out red!!!

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Thanks for the advice guys. I will deffo go to a dive shop to find a good fitting mask and fins. Does anyone have any info on 'dry' snorkels, are they worth paying more for, do they actually work ?. I must admit the one i hired wasnt anything special but it did work, but if it did go under i got a mouth full of water which wasnt particularly nice. I suppose its more of a personal hygiene issue as well wanting my own kit.

Stuart

It's been said, but a good fit on the mask is paramount.
    I'd also suggest diving boots with open heel fins. A bit more to carry but essential for anything other than a sandy beach exit.

Quote Originally Posted by rgee View Post
    What about one of these mask/snorkel all in ones. Not tried one personally but seems to have good reviews.

We just got one ;last week to try. Great fun on the surface, easy to use and good range of visibility but not really suitable for diving, I found it didn't permit me to equalise my ears on the way back up...in fact the instructions that come with it warn its only for surface swimming. That said I think they'd be great for young kids and people who lack confidence so easy.

Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys. I will deffo go to a dive shop to find a good fitting mask and fins. Does anyone have any info on 'dry' snorkels, are they worth paying more for, do they actually work ?. I must admit the one i hired wasnt anything special but it did work, but if it did go under i got a mouth full of water which wasnt particularly nice. I suppose its more of a personal hygiene issue as well wanting my own kit.

Stuart

I like dry snorkels, I'm not a strong swimmer, not particularly confident and I find it helps me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for that, we've been looking at these for the kids for our summer holiday to Greece, I think they could be just the Job, all depends if the small is small enough.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Thanks for that, we've been looking at these for the kids for our summer holiday to Greece, I think they could be just the Job, all depends if the small is small enough.
    Exactly. Hope they fit, I believe kids will love them.

Blog Entries
    I brought mine (snorkel, flippers ans mask) cheap as chips off the tinterweb and it all worked just fine...

Maybe I just have a generic face/ feet???

Many happy hours snorkelling...

I did my Padi many moons ago and it gives you some good insight on how to do this stuff a lot more confidently/ safely

I have one and have used it many times, including in January and March this year with a full wetsuit including hood. I love it! It's easy to use, doesn't fog up as you have airflow down the inside of the mask when you breathe (outside air in at the top and expired air out at the bottom) and can cope with quite a high rate of breathing when your swimming quite hard or it's flippin' cold!

(Also keeps your face warm as the wetsuit hood fits snugly around it.)

I'm a qualified and experienced diver so I have no issues using mask and snorkel - which I also have - but apart from the size (they're a bit bulky in the rucsac) which is a negative, I tend to reach for it on a day trip to the coast even in the summer.

They do come in different sizes so try them on in store if you can, although their sizing guide is very accurate. Go for the smaller size if you are borderline (as I am).

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    Hi,

Last year I went to the Caribbean on a cruise. I wanted to try a bit of snorkeling and borrowed my bros gopro. I hired the snorkel kit on the beach. I will be going again later this year, but want my own kit. Does anyone have any advice re this. I wont spend a fortune and its probably only going to get used once or twice a year. A dry snorkel is a must. I have looked at a set from Cressi, consisting of a Marea mask, Ultra Dry snorkel and Palau fins, this comes in at £60, which seems reasonable and appears to have good reviews. Is there anything else I could look at, it just seems a minefield and each dealer, shop, has different kit which they say is the best. Thanks in advance for any info, advice and tips.

Heres a short vid of last years snorkeling.

https://youtu.be/XwczefD2WqM

Stuart
    Cressi is good stuff, snorkel and mask both, but you will want to check the fit before heading out on your trip. A good mask should be able to stay in place when you inhale, without using the strap.

I prefer to leave the fins at home, rentals are fine for snorkeling and they take up a lot of space.

You don't need the red filter on your GoPro 0'-15' deep, but you will want an extendable pole. A pole will help get the camera closer to the fish, you'd be surprised how big a difference it makes.

without pole

with pole

Jeez, if I saw a shark i'd be out of the water in a flash. A pole is something i have thought about tbh. Cressi do a reasonably priced set so i will try to find a local shop and try a few options out.

Stuart

Just a quick update guys.

I have bought a Cressi Air Crystal mask, Cressi Alpha ultra dry snorkel and Cressi Palau Fins. Came to just over £66 incl delivery and a nice mesh carry bag. Now, just off to the local pond.....

Thanks for all the advice fellas

Stuart

If there's a local diving club to you? They can give you some lessons in understanding buoyancy. Choose a good shorty for protection. Decent sea fins and diving boots are a must. Sometimes wearing ankle weights or even a light weight belt will make you more stable. Try on as many masks as you can to get the right fit and learn how to clear it at your local swimming pool.
    Enjoy... some of my best dives were drift dives snorkelling.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Ankle weights not sure about needing those!, bodies tend to sit pretty easy in the water without weight.

Not sure i need weights tbh. I just intend to stay close to shore and the rocky bits. Probably no more than 20ft deep at most, i'm very much a novice and get a bit worried if i cant see the bottom !!

Stuart

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    You don't need weight mate, I have been in the oggin for years, comfortably go down 60ft on a snorkel and never needed weight.
    just go to whatever depth is comfortable to you and enjoy yourself, I might have a camera set up at home you can borrow, will look when back in uk.

and don't forget with the new mask to clean inside with toothpaste.

mike

Yes! listen to Uncle Mike.

You can burn the coating out but using toothpaste is better, also get into the habit of cooling your face before going under, that has helped me no end keeping my mask clear for diving and snorkelling. I also swear by a dry snorkel, it takes a bit of getting used to, it will let some water in, read up on putting your tongue at the roof of your mouth and breathing in slowly if there's water in there to get a lung full then put your finger under the clip that closes it at the top to breathe out, it will clear it and it's good to go!

If i'm going for an hour or more, i'll put my wetsuit on also. I've just seen that you've got open backed fins, get yourself some boots 100%!
    Last edited by ghosty; 19th May 2017 at 11:05.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    You don't need weight mate, I have been in the oggin for years, comfortably go down 60ft on a snorkel and never needed weight.
    just go to whatever depth is comfortable to you and enjoy yourself, I might have a camera set up at home you can borrow, will look when back in uk.

mike

What is the technigue for going deep with a snorkel? I can never get just past the surface, feels like running with an open parachute on your back.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Regulate your breathing , take deep breath, let half out, pivot/jackknife at waist and pull with arms til fins under then use them, economy of movement/streamline arms and relax. First time in the water will be quick but you will build up to longer times as agility/repetition kick in.

mike

Cheers Mike

Will give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post

mike

Mike, thanks so much for the kind offer to loan a camera. However, I have already bought a Gopro 5. I have bought it to go with me to the Caribbean in November as I borrowed my brothers last time and enjoyed it. I will also use it on my bike (Ducati Diavel)

Couple of questions though if I may, what is the reason for toothpaste Mike ??. Also could you recommend a waterproof/resistant selfie stick suitable for snorkeling, as that is something I may consider. I have already bought one of the yellow floaty things in case I drop the camera accidentally, but would like to try one of the sticks.

Thanks again

Stuart

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Masks always have a film of something on the glass from manufacturers, if you don't clean it off you will steam up all the time, just put a pea sized bit of toothpaste in each lens and tub all round with your finger and then rinse out.
    when you go snorkelling, just spit on inside of mask rub round then rinse once in the oggin and job done.
    not sure on a selfie stick as never used one, but personally with the price of things I would make my own with a bit of plastic/Ali tube and appropriate bolt, you can always edit the second it takes to turn on and extend your arm!!

mike

...and don't forget to equalise.

You need to equalise as you go deeper (which happens to be my Achilles Heel. I can get to c60ft, but no more).

I've tried scuba diving a couple of times and equalizing, or failing to, has always hampered my enjoyment. Just googled equalizing and didn't realize how technical and varying methods there are to this (Frenzel, Valsalva!).

I've tried scuba diving a couple of times and equalizing, or failing to, has always hampered my enjoyment. Just googled equalizing and didn't realize how technical and varying methods there are to this (Frenzel, Valsalva!).
    Indeed. With a tank of air / enriched air, I'm fine, as the pressure is always regulated. However, in a head down position, I really struggle when I'm freediving. Forcing it is not a good idea as my Dr at the London Dive Chamber told me when I presented with post-dive bleeds! Hey ho.

Master
    I can only echo what others have said about going to a pro shop and spending plenty of time trying the masks on. I spent at least 2 hours overall making sure I had the right fit and it has lasted for the last 7 years without a hitch. It's only now possibly starting to wear on the seals. I always clean the glass with toothpaste everytime I head out.

As for a snorkel, get one of these. They are the best I have ever used and to date, my wife and I haven't had one single issue in 7 years of use. This is a newer version obviously but the technology and build is the same:

http://www.tusa.com/mv-en/Tusa/Snorkels/SP0101_HYPERDRY_ELITE_II

Edit: Fins I found to be a nightmare as I have had a few that were not comfortable after prolonged use but in the end, I found a simple pair that worked. I wouldn't use boots and open ended fins for snorkeling, too heavy in my opinion. Just take your time and try them on and for me, the most uncomfortable part was where they touched the top (boney) part of my foot. We all differ but it was something I didn't realise as I couldn't pop my feet and fins in a pool. Luckily, the dive shop here has a pool and I was able to try them all out.

Good luck
    Last edited by stix; 19th May 2017 at 12:40.

The big advantage of wearing boots is being able to enter/leave the water without the risk of injuring your feet.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.