closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Some phone advice please...

Master

Some phone advice please...

Hi ... Could I ask for some guidance from those of you who know about mobiles? My current phone is a Samsung Galaxy 3 bought when they were the latest thing.... probably about 5 years ago. It's now playing up... really slow, dropping out for no reason and it seems to be wearing batteries out very quickly. So I'm looking at getting a new one.

My Current deal with Virgin, and I've had this deal for years, is far more minutes than I need, a stupid number of texts that I wouldn't use in a year and unlimited data (which I hardly use) at £10 per month. Virgin have offered me a slightly reduced package (but still more than adequate - I am a very moderate user) and a choice of either the Sony Experia E5 at £11 per month or the Samsung J3 at £12 per month.

Alternatively if anyone can suggest any better deals I'd like to hear... one absolute requirement is that I keep my number. I simply can't go changing the number.

Thanks in advance
    Rob
    Last edited by Barryboy; 17th May 2017 at 16:51.

Money saving expert is always worth a look in these situations to see if there are any current deals on
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Craftsman
    Uswitch is also a good shout but at £10-15 per month most phones will be very similar to be honest.

If you are only going to use a cheap low-end phone - I wouldn't take the carrier's device - go SIM-only and buy your own.

Agreed. Get the fiver a month 4G SIM from BT and buy a SIM free phone from Amazon.

If you are happy with virgin just have the sim only and buy a phone that suits you

Porting numbers and faffing for a couple of quid isn't worth it if your coverage is good

A clean second hand iPhone 5s for example would be about £110 outright and perfectly adequate

Master
    Another vote for getting a standalone phone (second hand iPhone is a good idea!) and then get a sim-only on BT. Starting £5 a month for only 500Mb data, but unlimited text and calls. If you go on their family plan it works out even cheaper!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Another vote for getting a standalone phone (second hand iPhone is a good idea!) and then get a sim-only on BT. Starting £5 a month for only 500Mb data, but unlimited text and calls. If you go on their family plan it works out even cheaper!
    Exactly what we did at Xmas for my daughter's first phone only data is 1gb per month. Beauty of this is that we can limit the spend so she cannot run up a big bill!

If you've got unlimited data for £10 a month then I'd say you are already on a pretty damned good deal so as others have said just go out and get a phone to replace your current.

Some options... Factory re-set your S3 but transfer your important files back to a computer and back up to Google beforhand. Get a new battery off Amazon.
    Your phone just might need a spring clean. (I'm running a rooted Galaxy S3 on the latest Android Nugget and it flies)!
    Go to GiffGaff and get a sim card and set it for a re-curring £5 Goodybag. Get a number transfer PAC code from your existing provider. Tell GiffGaff to transfer your number to them... only takes a day to do it (weekdays).... & bingo your good to go.

Giffgaff always get well reviewed by folks too. I'd be trying to pick up a second hand Nexus 5X. I'm a really fan and they are cheap.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Some options... Factory re-set your S3 but transfer your important files back to a computer and back up to Google beforhand. Get a new battery off Amazon.
    Your phone just might need a spring clean. (I'm running a rooted Galaxy S3 on the latest Android Nugget and it flies)!
    Go to GiffGaff and get a sim card and set it for a re-curring £5 Goodybag. Get a number transfer PAC code from your existing provider. Tell GiffGaff to transfer your number to them... only takes a day to do it (weekdays).... & bingo your good to go.

Is the Galaxy S3 a better phone than, say the J3? If so it might be better to hang on to my current phone and give the factory reset a try.

Rob

Not a huge amount of difference really. The J3 has an up to date operating system but no user replaceable battery. The S3 has better storage internally and a user replaceable battery plus a slightly better camera. Personally, It costs you nothing to do what I previously suggested and you may be happy with your S3 but with the added cost of a new battery too (cheap off Amazon or Anker batteries. If it doesn't work out Go for the J3.

Some comparisons....

http://www.phonebunch.com/compare-ph...alaxy_j3-2255/

I would seriously consider GiffGaff as your provider (runs on 02). Sounds like the £5 goodybag will be ok too.
    Last edited by Rod; 19th May 2017 at 19:02.