timefactors watches
Results 1 to 27 of 27

Thread: Dealer/Retailer BS Thread

  1. #1
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Reading, Berks
    Posts
    2,708

    Dealer/Retailer BS Thread

    Sorry I am bored waiting for an order to land so I thought I'd start a thread where people can document what outlandish BS retailers/dealers spout....which is annoying as it shows they assume you know nothing about what you're trying to do/purchase.

    I'll kick off with this mornings search for a 114060. First place I called said "mmmm, they are impossible to get hold of....do you want to join our waiting list?" "how long is the wait.." I enquired, "about 6 months but if you come in and pay a deposit, you'll get preferential treatment". "what finance options are you offering at the moment?" I asked "*scoff*...we don't offer finance on that model, but we do offer (20%/24 Month) finance on other Rolex models" The second dealer said "I wouldn't even bother going on the waiting list sir, you won't get one.....how about a steel Datejust" Whilst I understand that paying a deposit shows more intent to follow through with a purchase, what difference does it make if they finance one model vs another?

    When looking at a Tudor Black Bay I commented that the bezel click was nice, the salesman said "they engineered the bezel click to sound like your opening a safe...." Whilst it does indeed sound like that did Tudor specifically mean to replicate a safe...and don't safes have a bi-directional capability?

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by watchmad View Post
    Whilst I understand that paying a deposit shows more intent to follow through with a purchase, what difference does it make if they finance one model vs another?
    There will be a cost to them of the finance (akin to giving a discount). If certain models fly out the door w/o why will they bother.

  3. #3
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Scotland central
    Posts
    1,442

    Dealer/Retailer BS Thread

    They engineered the Pelagos bezel to sound like a safe. That's a true statement . One of the old ear-against-the-safe clickers.

    I've not had any issues with dealers or retailers fortunately . I did buy a breitling superocean heritage that ran 45 secs an hour fast right out the box, sure they sent it back to Breitling and it got regulated to be -/+ 0 sec, but the process took 4 weeks and I was without watch (and my cash) for a month with a sour taste as a result. In circumstances like that I think top dealers should have a pool watch that they can offer customers a bit like car showrooms do where they let you faff about in an exdemo till your new car is sorted. Other than that one experience I been lucky I guess


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RustyBin5; 19th May 2017 at 15:01.

  4. #4
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    25,290
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    There will be a cost to them of the finance (akin to giving a discount). If certain models fly out the door w/o why will they bother.
    No - that would only be the case with 0%, which doesn't appear to be what the OP was referring to.

  5. #5
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Scotland central
    Posts
    1,442
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    No - that would only be the case with 0%, which doesn't appear to be what the OP was referring to.
    Indeed it's the opposite to having a cost to them. They will get commission as in 99% of cases financing is through a commission paying 3rd party finance company


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    1,737
    I've bought a 114060 today for one of my sons from my AD so they are about, you just need to make the calls but I'm fairly sure you'll get one.

    Trying to be impartial here but it doesn't make sense for an AD to offer 0% on a steel sub, GMT, Daytona etc as they can sell them without any bother, so effectively it's costing them part of their profit. On the datejusts, gold, ladies etc it does make sense as they are easier to get hold of.

  7. #7
    Is this watch specific? If not, Oak Furniture Land and their adverts that tell me the sale MUST end Sunday..........until the next one starting Monday 😤😤😤

  8. #8
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    2,037
    We offer finance at work and it costs us a percentage so we encourage people to pay as big a deposit as they can so the finance balance is reduced and so is the sum we pay the finance company.

  9. #9
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    I did buy a breitling superocean heritage that ran 45 secs an hour fast right out the box
    I think that can be categorised as faulty, so you could have just asked for a refund and buy another one.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    No - that would only be the case with 0%, which doesn't appear to be what the OP was referring to.
    How do you/we know it's not 0% finance?

  11. #11
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    25,290
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    How do you/we know it's not 0% finance?
    Well, I read the OP, which referenced 20%/24 months on other models. YMMV.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Well, I read the OP, which referenced 20%/24 months on other models. YMMV.
    I assumed that was 20% deposit/24 months.

  13. #13
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    25,290
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I assumed that was 20% deposit/24 months.
    Does it actually matter?

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Does it actually matter?
    So, you're wrong then?

  15. #15
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    25,290
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    So, you're wrong then?
    Good grief.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Good grief.
    Indeed!

  17. #17
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    25,290
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Indeed!
    I'm no more right or wrong than you are. As for "indeed", I haven't forgotten your cowardly anonymous one-starring of threads so don't start.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I'm no more right or wrong than you are. As for "indeed", I haven't forgotten your cowardly anonymous one-starring of threads so don't start.
    What has that got to do with anything?

    In this thread I gave an explanation for the OP's dealers behaviour, that's all. Why good grief? You seem to be going out of your way to pick an argument.

    Back on topic - do you think dealers really offer 20% interest credit?

  19. #19
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    25,290
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    What has that got to do with anything?

    In this thread I gave an explanation for the OP's dealers behaviour, that's all. Why good grief? You seem to be going out of your way to pick an argument.

    Back on topic - do you think dealers really offer 20% interest credit?
    No, I don't - that was me not paying attention. However, your assumption regarding 0% is no more likely than my assumption of finance charges. "Good grief" was simply a reference to you deciding to make such an issue of it, but then I remembered the one star games you used to play and it made a bit more sense.

  20. #20
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Scotland central
    Posts
    1,442
    Rapid escalation alert!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    No, I don't - that was me not paying attention. However, your assumption regarding 0% is no more likely than my assumption of finance charges. "Good grief" was simply a reference to you deciding to make such an issue of it, but then I remembered the one star games you used to play and it made a bit more sense.
    It was nothing personal towards you because of any 'history'. Admittedly I can be pedantic and would have persisted with whoever.

    With interest rates as they are I assume nowadays people want 0% finance or won't bother.

  22. #22
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    25,290
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    It was nothing personal towards you because of any 'history'. Admittedly I can be pedantic and would have persisted with whoever.

    With interest rates as they are I assume nowadays people want 0% finance or won't bother.
    Fair enough. I'm sure 20% would raise some eyebrows, anyway

  23. #23
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    1,737
    Well I think the OP is saying 20% down and 0% finance on the non SS over 24 months. Such a short timescale that would make sense.

    I doubt anywhere will do 0% on the main SS anymore. That said these balance transfers on credit cards are so cheap someone could do that if they wanted to finance it.

  24. #24
    AD: You are first on the list for SD43
    Me: Nice one

    SD43 starts appearing. I make the call...

    Me: Has the new SD come in? I am first on the list.
    AD: [amnesia/confusion] Erm... and you are? Yes you are second.
    Me: I thought I was first.
    AD: Oh yes of course. The SD has not arrived - end of the year.
    Me: Thank you [you lying little...]

  25. #25
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    1,515
    Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    AD: You are first on the list for SD43
    Me: Nice one

    SD43 starts appearing. I make the call...

    Me: Has the new SD come in? I am first on the list.
    AD: [amnesia/confusion] Erm... and you are? Yes you are second.
    Me: I thought I was first.
    AD: Oh yes of course. The SD has not arrived - end of the year.
    Me: Thank you [you lying little...]
    I had a very similar experience after the manager at my nearest WoS left the shop to go work somewhere else. The guy I was told was going to look after me, as I was second in the list, just said that my name was not there at all. Needless to say I'll never buy from them again.

  26. #26
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    384
    Not watch related, but a good example.

    I've ordered a bluetooth headset from Turtle Beach in Jan, it was shipped from an EU warehouse. First problem, it doesn't work with the laptop. Few emails with the support and after 3 weeks it turned out that it only works with Win 10 (wasn't mentioned on the product page, furthermore there was a software, which is compatible with Win 7 and up). As the product site was misleading (they've changed it in the meantime) I was asking for a refund, but I was offered an exchange for a bit more expensive model, which supposed to work with Win 7/8.1 as well. I agreed and sorted the RMA.
    I've been told the replacement is being sent out early next week (1.5 months after the order). After another week, 'sorry for the delay our warehouse is currently moving and the replacement will be with you soon', I was asking for a tracking number, no luck...
    I've been chasing this ever since (asking for refund couple of times) and now 4.5 months later I've got this: 'You have to understand we no longer do the i series so we have to get them imported so we could replace the headset for you'.

    I don't think a 50 headset worth going to an EU court, but I've never experienced this amount of BS from any vendor before.

  27. #27
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Reading, Berks
    Posts
    2,708
    Quote Originally Posted by watchmad View Post
    "about 6 months but if you come in and pay a deposit, you'll get preferential treatment".
    Update - went into Oxford branch of same chain and enquired about a 114060. Decided to put my name down for one and was told it would be a couple of months and when I offered a deposit he said "no need". Now whether it arrives in 2 months will be the test but the chap was very matter of fact and didn't try to make up a BS story.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •