timefactors watches

Thread: Best Place to Sell Private Plate

Best Place to Sell Private Plate

Afternoon all,

I've just bought a used car which came with its own private plate. I've paid the DVLA 80 to put it on retention and have put my own private plate on the car.

Now that I have the 'old' plate on retention I'm looking to dispose of it quickly and with minimal hassle.

Has anyone got any recommendations as to who I should approach and how I can do this? I see there are plenty of online firms who will auction the plate but I'm not sure that's the route I want to go down as I would like to agree in advance the selling price so that I can decide if it's worth the hassle!

Thanks in advance,

Master
    Might be worth trying on here or other fora that you use??

You never know...

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    Afternoon all,

I've just bought a used car which came with its own private plate. I've paid the DVLA 80 to put it on retention and have put my own private plate on the car.

Now that I have the 'old' plate on retention I'm looking to dispose of it quickly and with minimal hassle.

Has anyone got any recommendations as to who I should approach and how I can do this? I see there are plenty of online firms who will auction the plate but I'm not sure that's the route I want to go down as I would like to agree in advance the selling price so that I can decide if it's worth the hassle!

Thanks in advance,
    Depends on the Plate - if its car related Ie 250 GTO, or 911 RSR, etc, then Owners clubs or Pistonheads. If its MAG IC - then the Magic Circle, etc.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

As above, what is the plate and could be worth a punt putting it on SC here.

Best Place to Sell Private Plate

Thanks everyone.

The plate is off my M6 (M66 BMR). I could hang onto it and put it back on if I ever sell, but I bought the car with an eye to the future (the S85 V10 will go down as an all-time classic engine) so that is unlikely really.

I'd rather move the plate on and do something else with the cash TBH.

There is a chance that it's not worth the 80 retention unless you find a very specific buyer or is is a "good" plate.

CBS 3 or CBS 300 would clearly be easier to sell than T9 CBS for example (plates just randomly selected to make a point)

What format is the plate?
    Last edited by triumph coupe; 19th May 2017 at 13:35. Reason: You answered my question as I was typing slowly on my phone 🙃

Can't see it being worth much TBH, sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I wasn't planning on retiring from the proceeds.

At the very least, I have a de-aged plate to put back on if the car gets sold in the future. However, if I can make the retention fee back plus a bit extra then it's not worth the opportunity cost to hang on to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I disagree - the M66 is obviously M6 related and the BMR can be seen as Beemer, plus you have the BMR initials option.

Not talking mega but has a wider market that you'd probably expect.

Journeyman
    Probably worth 170 as a non ageing plate, DVLA sell many similar for 250 including the 80 fee.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    I disagree - the M66 is obviously M6 related and the BMR can be seen as Beemer, plus you have the BMR initials option.

Several M66BM? on dvla for 250.

I sold a number plate via Reg Transfers a few years ago and it was really simple. It was all undertaken online with exception of posting the certificate. Was hassle free from my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post

Didn't see the BMR = Beemer but I often struggle to see what's meant with these.

always sold mine on eeebay for decent money.

Craftsman
    Stick it on Ebay, I am sure it will get some interest.
    Personally I think its quite good for an M6.