closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Unfit, out-of-shape (and probably clueless) - return to cycling help required.

Master

Unfit, out-of-shape (and probably clueless) - return to cycling help required.

The good lady and I want to do a bit of casual cycling. Initially nothing really more than some short rides around the village and local lanes, perhaps a trip along the tow-path. My lad has had his first bike a little while now and wants to do a bit more than circuits around the local car-park. So I should probably get the wife and myself mobile so that we can accompany him a little further afield. We both have old mountain bikes in the garage with flat tyres and rusty chains which haven’t seen the light of day in many years. I could probably restore these two to working condition, but with a view to gradually building up the distances and getting a bit fitter as well I am minded to buy a pair of new steeds. In a couple of years time both kids will on two wheels and I guess we’ll be kitting ourselves out with a car rack and lugging four bikes off on our holies!

My limited knowledge of bikes and cycling these days (it’s been many years since I was fairly keenly into off-road) has me thinking about hybrids. The last time I went anywhere on two wheels my backside ached for days afterwards, so comfort is important, both in terms of saddle and general riding position (upright, relaxed). We will want weather gear and probably rear racks. One of them will need to have kiddies seat fitted. Top spec, top dollar stuff would be wasted on us and anyway I don’t want to spend a fortune. Having said that, I don’t want heavy weight cheapies with bargain basement gears and brakes. I’m thinking of spending circa £600-700 for both. Is that even possible/am I miles out here? What would the cyclists amongst us recommend?

Master
    Whereabouts are you?

I ask becaus it might be more useful for us to recommend a decent bike shop that can listen to all that you've just told us and then see what they come up with?

In the short term though, get the 'dead' bikes up and running with a bit of TLC and some oil on the chain and see how riding out grabs you.

If you've been off a bike for a few years, like I was, you might find your tastes with regard to bike styling and comfort have changed!

Master
    I'm in Taunton, Somerset. We have a Halfords , Ralph Coleman and The Bicycle Chain. The second two are probably on my list to visit sometime, but remembering when I bought the lads first bike advice was really quite different from place to place.

I will take a look at the 'dead bikes' first to see what could be done. I think mine is salvageable, but the wife's ready needs to be binned and start again. My old bike doesn't really tick the 'comfort' box. Part of the reason for considering a change.

Craftsman
    Sounds like you need some decent hybrids. Great value to be had on ebay - plenty of people who buy bikes but don't ride them more than 2-3 times. Look for bikes near you that are listed for collection only!

Also, Hargroves usually does decent deals on previous years' models. I just bought my daughter this one - first impressions are good.

http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/bik...brid-bike.html

Blog Entries
    Try to figure out the size you need. I don't mean the frame only, but also the length of the stem etc. A proper position on your bike takes a lot of strain off the shoulders, inside of the hands, back etc. And thus more comfortable. Take your time to figure out what's good for your body dimensions.

Menno

Craftsman
    Halfords will fill you full of crap and send you out with a board man . Find and independent bike shop and quiz them telling them where you I'll be riding ( terrain etc ) if they recommend something out of your price range look for something similar one bay or gumtree . Specialized were great but have gone a bit shyte . There's plenty of half decent stuff , I like whyte .

Quote Originally Posted by P ELLIS View Post
    Halfords will fill you full of crap and send you out with a board man . Find and independent bike shop and quiz them telling them where you I'll be riding ( terrain etc ) if they recommend something out of your price range look for something similar one bay or gumtree . Specialized were great but have gone a bit shyte . There's plenty of half decent stuff , I like whyte .
    Don't knock Boardman bikes. Very good value. If OP wanted to buy new and all he had was a Halfords nearby a Boardman isn't going to be a big mistake.

Master
    I mentioned Halfords with tongue firmly in cheek. There are a couple of independents nearby I will be visiting.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorj View Post
    Don't knock Boardman bikes. Very good value. If OP wanted to buy new and all he had was a Halfords nearby a Boardman isn't going to be a big mistake.
    The frames are ok , the components are bottom drawer . Even spesh stuff is a bit like that now . I had a Rocky Mountain instinct 18 month ago and that was £4K of heartache . Neighbour has a similar spesh that's been out of action waiting for a replacement rear hub for circa 8 weeks . I'd buy a good used bike rather than a a new low spec bike

What were your old likes before the chains got rusty? I wish I had a spare copy of my old Kona Lava Dome frame in a shed. If they were decent bikes when you got them they may be worth the small effort to restore.

But If they only cost you £100 each in the first place then they are probably not worth the bother!

Master
    Blog Entries
    For that sort of money I'd be looking second hand. Second hand bikes on eBay are usually a lot better deal for the buyer than the seller in my experience.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pstruck View Post
    I mentioned Halfords with tongue firmly in cheek. There are a couple of independents nearby I will be visiting.
    Check out Edinburgh bicycle cooperative. Great range and their own line is very very good. They do excellent mail order too. I have a hybrid of theirs. Excellent kit and probably in your budget.

Welcome to born again bicyclers!!!

I can recommend Ralph Coleman. I bought a bike from them in April. They really do go the extra mile. I'd recommend going in on a week day if you can, a lot quieter.

If you do decide to get a Boardman, it may be worth your while getting a British Cycling fan membership, for about 20 quid. Which gets you 10% off anything bought at Halfords including bikes.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by mijyou; 17th June 2017 at 14:37.

Master

Bikes

I was in the same boat a few years back with kids getting adventurous. We bought a couple of Marin's. Good frames and ok shimono gearing. eBay is the best bet with some bargains to be had. The wife's cost me £70 but mine was a better frame so cost £300. Both ride great and are still used regularly.

Craftsman
    If you're out of shape and have anything hilly nearby...make sure you get a compact or triple chainset

For the time being I'd just get the old bikes going again and see if the interest continues and merits new bikes. New cassettes (rear sprockets), chains and cables won't cost the earth, you'll probably want to replace the inner tubes and maybe the tyres. This should keep you going until the bairns are older and want to go further and that's when to think about new bikes.
    F.T.F.A.

Blog Entries
    First off, as Tooks suggests, restore the bikes you have and see how you get on…. I got a new bike 4 years ago and cycled to work a few times and really didn't enjoy it as I felt quite vulnerable on the road;.. I was a mad keen cyclist (competitions, the lot) when I was yiunger, but, didn't feel the same way at 40 …. That bike, and the one I brought my wife, remained in the garage and I took up running instead…

Having said that, now my son is a little older we've done quite a few circuits of Rutland water together (36km) , so, they've had a new lease of life of late and I've really enjoyed it…

Does your (or your wife's employer) do a cycle to work scheme?