closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RR Evoque - tell me it's crap?

Master

RR Evoque - tell me it's crap?

My wife currently has a 2013 Q3 S Line. 1.9tdi. I think it's a great car. Certainly meets my needs.

My wife had decided she needs a range rover evoque. Yes, needs.

Ive no idea on the specs. We have two young sons both in car seats and my first reaction was the evoque isn't as suitable as the Q3. No idea why I think that to be honest.

Could anyone shed some light on ownership of this car. I not even a fan of how it looks to be honest!!

Whats the best model to go for.

Even better how about some suggestions on similar cars? '4x4 style' so slightly taller than average. It also has to be a big name. I originally went to see a Kia Sportage (much better spec than the audi) but I was shot down due to it being a Kia.

Help is much appreciated!

Master
    I've never owned one but I have sat in the back of one for a short trip and it was tiny back there not as big as the Q3 imo nice enough in the passenger seat but I wouldn't touch a RR with my own money after a bad experience. I did quite like the new small Porsche 4x4 a friends wife now has very nice I think it's basically a Q5 or Q3 but it was lovely.

We've had two and it's a great car. More room inside than it seems. We got the diesel SE Tech and went for the glass roof, satnav and electric seats. There may be technically better competitors but we both love it.

Master
    This is it couldn't remember the name

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/porsche/macan

Evoque owner here

Bought my evoque via the LR Approved Used programme

Two years pulley proof warranty etc

I have the coupe - no good for you there but the 5 doors run cheaper

Do I like it?
    Did I try a Q3?

I love the thing
    Love it to bits 35mpg diesel
    Loads of power 2.2
    Fab styling (I bought the dynamic)
    Dealership seems fine

It's the top spec

Audi?
    I've had lots of them and most have spent more time with the dealer than should have

Are you buying new or used?
    Good clean used examples have taken the hit and are value for money IMO

My two nephews are 11 and 16
    They easily fit in the back of mine but don't need child seats etc

Deffo buy the auto
    I drove a manual and thought it was a mare as it's a biggish thing

Buy her one - you won't regret it

The Evoque has a poorer safety rating than any other cars in its class. If you have kids best avoided on those grounds in my opinion.

It's crap.
    If your wife is a snob she'll enjoy pulling up outside nursery/school in a RR but in every other way the Sportage is better and will be less hassle.

We went to have a look at one as the wife's new company car, our 8 year old couldn't see out of the rear door window ! The boot was small too. Looks great though.

I'm a vogue driver but had a play about in one. Rear room is woeful. I also thought the finishing was poor - think crappy plastics. I wanted to like it but came away thinking it's nothing more than a fashion statement.

Journeyman
    Had one as a loan car. If the size works for you then I think they are a nice place to be.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Mr Four Fingers is your best bet for advice on these but in my opinion, they are not terribly reliable, not terribly safe if you stuff it into a hedge / house / oncoming car and not terribly cheap.

Craftsman
    Range Rover Evoque is the favoured mode of transport of the Yummy Mummy / milf. They often seen parked outside any Waitrose, M&S Food store, Costa coffee or boutique shopping location on a Sunday afternoon. If you are considering a used one check for signs of multiple wheel refurbs, as the they are often with their wheels on kerbs and verges outside of nurseries & schools.

A very stereotypical view, but on this occasion the cap fits.

Master
    Blog Entries
    We had one bought new in 2013 kept it 13 months never had a problem with it,nice car but the boot was small. When I sold it privately took 3 hrs on Pistonheads and only lost a couple of grand, that might have changed now though.

Small boot? Poor interiors? Lol

I use mine for everything

It swallows trees........

Take a look

https://postimg.org/gallery/3be2gsdcs/

Master
    I recently helped my dad choose a replacement for his 2009 Touareg. After many tests we ended up with an Evoque HSE. They drive very well, almost like a hot hatch, they have a 50cm wading depth and 20cm ground clearance and on the right tyres will perform off road like a full fat 4x4. The Ingenium engine is way more refined than the old 2.2 Ford and is barely audible even from cold. The ZF 9 speed box is very smooth, not as clever as the ZF8 fitted to longitudinal installations but very good all the same. IMO they are great. I would personally have a Macan but I don't really go off road as much as some. The build quality is perhaps not up there with the Germans yet but in every way it matters I think they are pretty fine. To those that understandably think it is just a yummy mummy's conveyance I suggest you try one.
    Last edited by Padders; 11th June 2017 at 21:12.

Disco Sport is a more practical version of the same car.

For my needs it's a no brainer.

Not a Range Rover though.

Craftsman
    I too drive a Vogue, it's the second one I've had, sense tells me to buy different models but in my opinion everything else falls short of the vogue !

Quote Originally Posted by GregR View Post
    I'm a vogue driver but had a play about in one. Rear room is woeful. I also thought the finishing was poor - think crappy plastics. I wanted to like it but came away thinking it's nothing more than a fashion statement.

Had a 2 day loan when deciding on my company car, also the Discovery Sport and a BMW X3 M Sport for 2 days trial.

Nice interior on the evoke, but no room for 3 growing kids in the back, fixed boot cover as well. The Discovery Sport was massive in comparison, very nice. BUT..

The BMW auto gearbox was smoother and leagues above the JLR offer. The killer for JLR was the shocking infotainment system. Slow, very slow and not what I expect for a £40k car.

The Evoque looks nice though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Exigeowner View Post
    I too drive a Vogue, it's the second one I've had, sense tells me to buy different models but in my opinion everything else falls short of the vogue !
    And as a new purchase, everything else is much cheaper than the ridiculously overpriced RR Vogue too. Even LR seem to agree hence the launch of the ultra capable Velar at circa £60k to gain back some sales at more sane prices!

Master
    My wife has one and loves it. It's comfortable, plenty of room for two kids (4 & 8) and the boot is just about big enough for a weekend away camping. Good residuals make them relatively cheap to lease/finance. We looked at everything from a Q5 to a Renault Kadjar and she preferred the Evoque. I don't know how much of that was the "image" but in answer to the original question, no it's not crap.
    Last edited by benny.c; 11th June 2017 at 21:38.

Craftsman
    I was tempted with the convertible one
    But ended up buying a 4wd van and another z4

Mrs JDH1 has one and loves it. It's the Dynamic model. I'm not a fan of the styling but have to say it drives really well. particularly in Dynamic mode. Very hot hatch. I think the finish and quality is more than acceptable. As others have said, the similarly priced Discovery Sport is without doubt a more practical option.

Mrs Draft had one as our UK car for a couple of years. We both really enjoyed it. She had previously had an ML and was a big Merc fan, but found the Evoque a much better drive.

Trouble with this kind of thread is it is very subjective - what one finds good another does not.

When the Evoque was released we had a hard sell from RR about discounted lease deals which a number of friends took.

The good - new model, nice looking interior. RR badge.

The bad - base models are poor relation, reliability is very 'hit and miss' and RR dealers similarly 'hit and miss'.

Most that took out the lease on the Evoque would not do the same again.

Crap?

Every car on the planet has people who think it is 'crap' for various reasons - personally I would never buy anything LR or RR.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    New Q3 due soon based on new floor plan, wait for that or look at the latest Tiguan/VAG alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    Small boot? Poor interiors? Lol

I use mine for everything

It swallows trees........

Take a look

https://postimg.org/gallery/3be2gsdcs/
    Boot is much smaller than others, Q3 for example.

I got a bit of a kicking on here a few years ago when i had the cheek to compare a Kia to some of the other offerings. Ill stick my neck out again and say that id have a Kia Sportage, previous model or new over any RRE model.
    They are better in so many ways.....imo of course

^^^you'd think the man who works on them for his living would know!

A Range Rover is £100k worth of excellence. Whatever the evoque is, it isn't a Range Rover. It's a little bit sad.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrubnut View Post
    A Range Rover is £100k worth of excellence. Whatever the evoque is, it isn't a Range Rover. It's a little bit sad.
    Driven them both? Do share your findings.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    personally I would never buy anything LR or RR.
    I'll 2nd that.

Blog Entries
    I went to look at the Disco Sport as a replacement for a Nissan X-trail last year. (Had a Freelander a few years back which everyone said would blow up/disintegrate but never had a problem on or off road. Off roading limited to farm tracks and mild rough stuff!) Had a test drive in the Disco sport and really liked it so intended to buy one.
    Then the salesman asked if I had driven the Evoque. Said no as didn't like the squashed rear (!) but thought why not. From the first it was so different to the Disco sport, like driving a little roller skate and that was it. Ordered one and love it, makes me smile every time I drive it. Having said that there's only me and the missus and Fred the spaniel so size wise it suits us but probably a bit small for some. RR sport is nicer but bit big for our needs.
    Try it you might be surprised. Built in England too.
    Ian

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    I'll 2nd that.
    Yep me too!

Mrs P drives a 62 plate Evoque. She 'likes' it, I don't. For all the reasons previously mentioned. I owned an 11 plate RR Vogue, until I downgraded to a 14 plate Freelander (dont ask), which lasted for 4 months before I couldn't wait to get rid of it.

I've long term owned and run Defenders, right up until my last one which was a 14 plate, and the only reason I sold it was I was fed up of dealing with thieves.

So I think it's fair to say I've a fair bit of history with LR.

The Evoque (to me) has fast become a females car. Like the new Beetle, Fiat 500, and the new Mini. Theres no reason a man should be driving an Evoque. It's not a family car, It's small, cheap (quality) and common.

They're everywhere.

It's not a practical car for a family, for mum, dad and children.

It's a lifestyle car.

Regarding the guys photos above cramming cut down trees in his Evoque. That's not something to be proud of.

A Real RR driver, hires a man for that sort of thing
    Last edited by Kiki Picasso; 12th June 2017 at 08:25.

Craftsman
    A year ago I went round all the 4x4 / SUVs, the Evoque seemed to have poor interior quality - scratchy, hard plastics, everything whilst nice enough I got a sense was built down to a budget.

The BMWs had that stupid stick up sat nav / entertainment screen so that ruled them out.

Audis weren't doing lease offers at the time, so they were out. (Q7 seemed nice but huge)

Porsche again not in budget (but had a look at them - nice)

The cheaper brands only did little engines (2 lt) so weren't interested in them.

In the end went for a new VW Touareg. 3lt diesel w turbo certainly makes it pick its skirt up, MPG is OK (not as good as the Merc 220D last car though), it handles like it's got no right to (so long as you learn how to handle a large 4WD) - we both love it.

Like others, when it came to replace my old car we shopped around most within this car sector. We tried the RRE, Q3, X3, F-pace, Mecan but in the end brought a Mercedes GLC. Mrs opinion being it was more refined than the other and build quality is second to none, subjective of course! 😀

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    It's crap.
    If your wife is a snob she'll enjoy pulling up outside nursery/school in a RR but in every other way the Sportage is better and will be less hassle.
    Well said.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    It's crap.
    The Kia will knock seven bells out of all of them(trade opinion), if you can drag yourself/ wife out of the badge snobbery buy one and enjoy trouble free motoring and a 7 yr warranty.

I remember when families with 2/3 kids could fit into a small hatchback :)

Lately I have noticed there seems to be a craze to buy a transit sized van with seats, obviously your typical mum-trucks can no longer cope with the amount of required school run paraphernalia

I actually watched a mum unload 2 of those annoying scooters out of the back of a posh pimped transporter van so that her two sprogs could roll the remaining twenty feet to the school front door, I saw this bacause traffic was at a standstill as every mum/dad in the area has to chauffeur their child and park as close as possible to the school to make the 500m drive from home seem worthwhile

Oh hang on RR Evoke...yeah looks very nice, its the pelagos of mum trucks :)

Apologies not a great nights sleep

I'm normally above pigeonholing cars and drivers, but the Fiat 500, new mini and RR evoque look like dainty baubles designed for ladies to drive. I currently drive a Volvo XC60 and frankly it will be my first and last 'suv' - too big and lumbering, nowhere near as practical as a people carrier for carrying kids and junk around, and even though I live in a rural area I have not needed 4 wheel drive on the 2 years I've owned it. Prefer driving the wife's fiesta tbh!!!

Master
    We looked at the RRE when looking for a new car for the wife on her company lease scheme, it made it to the short list of 3 along with the sportage and also a Nissan Qashaqi.
    The sportage wasn't as nice to drive, seemed less refined with the interior and our local dealers service was shocking.
    The RRE was a better drive, and the interior was good but the boot space was a concern to the wife although on paper we have less space than the RRE but that was her logic, the kids both said she couldn't have an RRE unless I could have a 110, the local dealers again didn't offer a great experience and for the mileage my wife does she wants to feel valued as she will be dropping in a few times a year for services.
    The Qashqai was almost as nice to drive as the RRE, the interior was better than the Kia but not up to the RRE, the mpg saving we were quoted helped sway the wife, and the dealer couldn't have been more helpful, with the dealer listening to my wife not myself unlike the other two despite us saying it was a car for the wife.
    The Qashqui was delivered on Friday and the mpg has been surprising I looked at Honest Johns real world figures and the wife has been beating them by some margin which is great.

We looked at all the options in our price range, made a list of what we wanted & needed from the car, ruled a few out straightaway then went to the garages and looked at those still on the list, then the next week took the shortlisted cars for test drives and made a decision from there, then we needed to work out what colour which took a couple of weeks by itself.

That was another thing. With the amount of cars I've bought from the same Land Rover main dealer, I was always happy with the way they treated me, never a complaint.

I recently bought a Toyota Hilux from Toyota, and the customer service throughout was extremely impressive.

I realise now that LR were simply going through the motions, and I was happy enough with that.

Really impressed with Toyota.

I must be one of the few who thinks the Kia Sportage looks hideous.

RR Evoque- sister is one her second. She loves it but I am always dubious about LR build quality. Her first one had an oil leak when it was less than 2 years old.

I like the looks of it, options and think the cabin is a lovely place to be too.
    Last edited by eagletower; 12th June 2017 at 09:43.

Victoria Beckham had a hand in designing it, that's all you need to know. It's for Women to pretend they are WAGS in but cant really afford the full fat RR, no bloke should ever be seen dead driving one of these.

Everyone I know who's had any RR product it spends more time in for warranty work than they spend driving it, on the upside it keeps the miles down

I too would never buy any RR or LR product. Overpriced garbage.

Sorry, cant help on the Evoque but can say we've been very happy with our Kia Sorrento - fits a family and two dogs (& cages) in with room to spare, and great service from Kia. Before buying the Kia we did test drive a Disco 4.

Master
    I have to laugh at the comments criticising wives/partners for making a "lifestyle" choice for their cars from a bunch of men on a website dedicated to the worship of what are in the main, shiny baubles.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Picasso View Post
    That was another thing. With the amount of cars I've bought from the same Land Rover main dealer, I was always happy with the way they treated me, never a complaint.

I recently bought a Toyota Hilux from Toyota, and the customer service throughout was extremely impressive.

I realise now that LR were simply going through the motions, and I was happy enough with that.

Really impressed with Toyota.
    Wow.
    Apologies for going a bit OT, but I recently changed my LR Discovery for a new Hilux too and I have found Toyota's customer service to be shockingly poor. The idea of moving away from LR was to get a more reliable vehicle and better customer service.

In the first 3 months that I have owned the (brand new) truck, it needed the Truckman top to be refitted, new reversing sensors, new rear bumper (due to rust!), has had the rear tailgate resprayed (due to the badly fitted Truckman top), the armrest fell off, the towbar wasnt fitted correctly, the sat-nav didnt work and the bluetooth phone kit didnt work.

If that wasn't bad enough, it was like pulling teeth trying to get the dealership to actually step up to the plate and fix it, which just added insult to injury!!

Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    I have to laugh at the comments criticising wives/partners for making a "lifestyle" choice for their cars from a bunch of men on a website dedicated to the worship of what are in the main, shiny baubles.
    Agreed, thrown with the accusations of brand snobbery!

Not really any such thing as a bad car these days. If she likes it, try one and buy it if impressed.

Personally, I think the initial buzz around these has died down and they are now commonplace.

I'd personally look at the Porsche Macan as a status/sporty SUV and would even look at the brand new Mini Countryman JCW, the 2nd Gen model just launched is much bigger than before and is meant to be good.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I'm normally above pigeonholing cars and drivers, but the Fiat 500, new mini and RR evoque look like dainty baubles designed for ladies to drive. I currently drive a Volvo XC60 and frankly it will be my first and last 'suv' - too big and lumbering, nowhere near as practical as a people carrier for carrying kids and junk around, and even though I live in a rural area I have not needed 4 wheel drive on the 2 years I've owned it. Prefer driving the wife's fiesta tbh!!!

I`ve never seen the appeal of SUVs and I marvel at their popularity....it's definitely a fashion/ image thing. If you need space why not buy an estate car? The 4 wheel drive capability is a good insurance policy for the few times we get snow, and if I lived in a hilly/rural area needing to travel everyday that would be a consideration.

They sell in big numbers thesedays, but why?......maybe I`m missing a trick.

Paul