closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Explorer II Questions

Craftsman

Explorer II Questions

Just need some confirmation rather than confusing myself on google.

Just debating around which Explorer II to save up for....

Ref 16570

SEL were introduced around 2000?
    Lug holes stopped around 2003?
    You cannot have the 3186 movement and lug holes on same Explorer II?

Cheers
    Rob

That all sounds about right to me.

What was the query?
    It's just a matter of time...

Of course you could have a new bracelet on an old case.

Banned
    I think there is only a chance of a 3186 movement in a 2008 or later watch

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Of course you could have a new bracelet on an old case.
    Hmmm, that is an option to buy head only.

Quote Originally Posted by rossi46vr View Post
    Ok, thought so. Choice of movement or preferred casing with lug holes.

I wouldn't give much thought to the different variants, and just buy the nicest watch.

Craftsman
    I've had the same dilemma when I was considering a polar (even more variants because of the dial and indices), but at the end I just got tired (and wasn't convinced about the prices either), so now it's on hold and I'm leaning towards a Coke... :)

My advice would be to narrow down what you're really after, if you have a chance try on some and just go for the one you like the most.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by vcarter View Post
    I've had the same dilemma when I was considering a polar (even more variants because of the dial and indices), but at the end I just got tired (and wasn't convinced about the prices either), so now it's on hold and I'm leaning towards a Coke... :)

My advice would be to narrow down what you're really after, if you have a chance try on some and just go for the one you like the most.
    Explorer II 16570 White dial.
    Lug holes.

As said. I think from there it will be the "best" watch.

Master
    Do the SELs make much of a difference at all? Does the bracelet feel any less secure without them?

Quote Originally Posted by relaxer7 View Post
    Do the SELs make much of a difference at all? Does the bracelet feel any less secure without them?
    No to both, in my experience.

Mine are divided about half-and-half between SEL and -non, and it really doesn't make a difference to me. Both versions are plenty secure and wear just fine, so get whichever you think looks better. Personally, I'd be more concerned about price and condition.

Can someone please clarify Explorer nomenclature.
    I still remain confused between all Explorers.
    Sorry for a rather dumb question.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Can someone please clarify Explorer nomenclature.
    I still remain confused between all Explorers.
    Sorry for a rather dumb question.

In my case it is this one.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I've had both sel and folded end links on my 16570 and they are very similar.

However I do prefer a oyster-lock clasp (the one with a 'flip-lock' bit to the clasp) as his does make it feel more secure and prevents against accidental opening.

2002, 3185 movement, lug holes, flip lock clasp, SEL, luminova… perfect

Craftsman
    That's the kiddy.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by rossi46vr View Post
    Are these very sporadic then? A shame since it sounds like the perfect combination to me.

Apprentice

Smile

hi all,

I'm a newbie on TZ! I just bought an explorer II and did a little research before hand. I would say go for a slightly later 16570 with the newer 3186 movement introduced in 2006 (I think) which had a shorter production run than the 3185 movement which was around for many years. Mine has the rehaut RRR which adds value in my opinion. You'll pay more for a 3186 with RRR but worth it. Its also the last of the five digit refs. In 2011 for the 40th anniversary Rolex introduced the first six digital explorer ref 216570 which is a great looking take on the early explorer II but I prefer mine (of course!) and you'll pay more for a 216570 which I don't believe to be justifiable.

Cheers

The polar explorer is one of the few models where I'd go for tritium (pre1998 or thereabouts) rather than luminova. It's just my opinion of course but I think the creamy plots of aged trit looks really good against the white dial.

Failing that I'd probably try to get a "Swiss" dial.

I don't think I'd pay extra for the later 3186 movement but I'm usually wrong on these things.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grailseeker View Post
    hi all,

I'm a newbie on TZ! I just bought an explorer II and did a little research before hand. I would say go for a slightly later 16570 with the newer 3186 movement introduced in 2006 (I think) which had a shorter production run than the 3185 movement which was around for many years. Mine has the rehaut RRR which adds value in my opinion. You'll pay more for a 3186 with RRR but worth it. Its also the last of the five digit refs. In 2011 for the 40th anniversary Rolex introduced the first six digital explorer ref 216570 which is a great looking take on the early explorer II but I prefer mine (of course!) and you'll pay more for a 216570 which I don't believe to be justifiable.

Cheers
    Welcome mate! Glad you've joined! Welcome to the madhouse!

Apprentice
    A few months in and I'm loving my EXII. My biggest dilemma now is whether I prefer it on a nato or bracelet!! What do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by grailseeker; 12th July 2017 at 09:41.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by grailseeker View Post
    A few months in and I'm loving my EXII. My biggest dilemma now is whether I prefer it on a nato or bracelet!! What do you think?
    How do I put images into the thread and not as attachment links?

Master
    Just got my 3185 black dial, no holes SEL last week. My first Rolex and love it. The archetypal 'under the radar' Rolex sports model. Rock solid at +2s p/d and a lovely velvety action to the crown. My only gripe, the lack of any AR coating on the crystal. Really do think Rolex dropped the ball upping the 216570 to 42mm but at least it doesn't suffer the fat lug syndrome.

I wouldn't bother waiting for 3186 watch, the few I've seen at the moment are commanding a huge premium and not worth the hike IMO.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post
    Just got my 3185 black dial, no holes SEL last week. My first Rolex and love it. The archetypal 'under the radar' Rolex sports model. Rock solid at +2s p/d and a lovely velvety action to the crown. My only gripe, the lack of any AR coating on the crystal. Really do think Rolex dropped the ball upping the 216570 to 42mm but at least it doesn't suffer the fat lug syndrome.

I wouldn't bother waiting for 3186 watch, the few I've seen at the moment are commanding a huge premium and not worth the hike IMO.
    Got any pictures Gomers?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    IMG_1104.JPGIMG_1105.JPG

Hope these come out

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

go for one with original tritium dial, lug holes and these should creep up in value nicely

but at the end of the day get one you like and enjoy more

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Failing that I'd probably try to get a "Swiss" dial.
    I thought if it only said "Swiss" on the dial then that meant that it was a service dial?
    I have an Explorer 2 3186 with only "Swiss" on the dial and I believed that to be the case. Not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing now!

I believe there are "Swiss" service dials bit they are slightly different from the "Swiss" dials from 1998/9.

They were only produced for a couple of years and had luminova rather than tritium or superluminova.

Of all the short run dials, these alone seem to be unappreciated by collectors so not worth a premium.

That could quite possibly change in the future hence my suggestion. There's nothing to lose and potentially some gain.