closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Cyclist injured

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    I kicked the back wheel of a cyclist as he rode past me, passing through a red light through a pedestrian crossing. It bent his wheel and sent him flying. Will it teach him? Probably not, but when he gets squashed by a tipper truck they will blame the truck driver even if it was the idiot's fault. Cyclists should have insurance and registration plates, and I would vote for anyone who advocates this.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
    If you see a motorist talking on their mobile phone whilst driving I assume you throw a brick through their windscreen.......dickhead!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Language in g and d is frowned upon.

More laws, more registration, more insurance, more testing, more licensing, more cameras, more big brother, more prosecutions, more fines, more points, more jail time... more... more... more.

We're already swimming in a sea of high-viz flashing-light safety-notice legislation that is so deep no one can keep track of it or even remember where the bottom was and all so we can delude ourselves into thinking we can defer the last remnants of risk away in ever diminishing returns from our already risk averse lives.

Remember kids, you make your safety someone else's problem at your own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    More laws, more registration, more insurance, more testing, more licensing, more cameras, more big brother, more prosecutions, more fines, more points, more jail time... more... more... more.

We're already swimming in a sea of high-viz flashing-light safety-notice legislation that is so deep no one can keep track of it or even remember where the bottom was and all so we can delude ourselves into thinking we can defer the last remnants of risk away in ever diminishing returns from our already risk averse lives.

Remember kids, you make your safety someone else's problem at your own risk.
    Wise words.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Agreed, while we obviously don't want to see such incidents the standard of all road users in London, including cyclists is horrific, nobody seems to obey the laws of the road! Cyclists seem to routinely run red lights, mount the pavement to avoid traffic etc. All road users need to accept responsibility for their road use and be considerate to other be they motorbikes, cars, cyclists or pedestrians. The arrogance of the few cyclists I have encountered is staggering. Personally I would never cycle in London. I prefer off-road, plus men look stupid in Lycra!
    I agree that London traffic is a law unto itself - Jo Brand used to do a great gag along the lines of "In London a red light means 'just a couple more". But I disagree about not cycling in London. There are obviously some horrible accidents but I cycled 100 miles a week in town for years with only one 'off' and a few bruises to show for it. The traffic moves slowly, people are usually aware of what's around them and, despite the odd shouting match, MOST cyclists and motorists rub along pretty happily.

By contrast, the twisty rural roads of my new home feel like a death trap for cyclists. Although that doesn't seem to discourage hordes of men in lycra using them as a velodrome every Sunday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I always carry a small 'stinger' to stop 'em.
    My colleague wants to poke an umbrella through the spokes of the next unlucky rider. I hope I'm there to witness it too.

My colleague wants to poke an umbrella through the spokes of the next unlucky rider. I hope I'm there to witness it too.
    You and your colleague both should be more careful - if you continue to assault people you will soon find out that there are even bigger psychopaths than you in this world, and some of them come armed with D-locks.

Craftsman
    I hope he gets well!!!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Language in g and d is frowned upon.
    To be fair, he asked for it. Behaviour like that is beyond belief, the guy should be locked up

Quote Originally Posted by Zigster View Post
    You and your colleague both should be more careful - if you continue to assault people you will soon find out that there are even bigger psychopaths than you in this world, and some of them come armed with D-locks.
    This does indeed seem to have an element of mental instability. So long as the rider isn't doing it rudely or recklessly, I truly don't understand the irrational rage that some experience upon seeing a cyclist safely proceeding through a clear intersection, regardless of the light colour.

Not only is this demonstrably safer than taking off at the same time motorised traffic, but it's also more efficient (ref. Idaho stop). Why bother getting worked up about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post

Not only is this demonstrably safer than taking off at the same time motorised traffic, but it's also more efficient (ref. Idaho stop). Why bother getting worked up about it?
    Cool, I'll start doing the same in my car...it's more efficient after all! 🙄🙄

Must be the same with the speed limit, if the road is clear in a 30, I might as well do 60...I'll get to my destination quicker.

I have absolutely no problem seeing a cyclist proceeding in front of me when we are both stuck behind a red light. Quite opposite, really. However the massive caveats in your post are 'not recklessly' and 'clear intersection '. My experience in going through a green light to find a numpty jumping from the left because he feels he is entitled to it.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Cool, I'll start doing the same in my car...it's more efficient after all! 

Must be the same with the speed limit, if the road is clear in a 30, I might as well do 60...I'll get to my destination quicker.
    Of course that would be legal for a cyclist because the speed limits don't apply

Cool, I'll start doing the same in my car...it's more efficient after all! 

It's worked quite nicely in Idaho since 1983. Did you actually read the link, or are you simply engaging in the fallacious thinking that there's no difference between cars and bicycles?

Hints for understanding why they aren't the same: A typical car weighs about 100X what a typical bike does, takes up 20X the road space, limits the driver's sight and hearing, and has an engine.

Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    9 cyclists killed in London.

36 Motorcyclist killed over the same period in London.

But not a mention from the Mayor.

£900 million pounds to be spent on cyclist safety and awareness over the next 10 years by TFL.

Not a single penny to be spent on motorcyclist safety/awareness.
    Quite. Amd for the narrow-minded few trying to play the cyclist-vulnerability card, please compare and contrast a motorcyclist who exceeds the posted speed limit and dies (a whole thread on this topic on TZ) - breaking the law, vs a cyclist who dies due to breaking another asopect of the road traffic laws. Each case, however tragic should be considered equally, yet cyclists seem to enjoy this immunity from blame for their own incompetence.

Let's be clear - I'm not championing a case for any mode of transport vs another ( I use them all...except lorries) but some equal balance needs to be seen be struck?

I kicked the back wheel of a cyclist as he rode past me, passing through a red light through a pedestrian crossing. It bent his wheel and sent him flying. Will it teach him? Probably not, but when he gets squashed by a tipper truck they will blame the truck driver even if it was the idiot's fault. Cyclists should have insurance and registration plates, and I would vote for anyone who advocates this.

I do hope your stupidity didn't make him late for school . Do that to an adult and you'd likely get a smack in the face.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    It's worked quite nicely in Idaho since 1983. Did you actually read the link, or are you simply engaging in the fallacious thinking that there's no difference between cars and bicycles?

Hints for understanding why they aren't the same: A typical car weighs about 100X what a typical bike does, takes up 20X the road space, limits the driver's sight and hearing, and has an engine.
    What does a pedestrian weigh? Sorry but you're talking rubbish. Come to London and watch the cyclists at work.

What does a pedestrian weigh? Sorry but you're talking rubbish. Come to London and watch the cyclists at work.
    I've seen it plenty in London (and beyond) and I honestly don't have a problem with the cyclists there as long as they're paying attention, which riding in traffic tends to do.

There are just so many other, worthier causes upon which to indulge the limited resource that is my sense of self-righteous judgment. ;)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by afcneal View Post
    but some equal balance needs to be seen be struck?
    Yes and that is why responsibilty should be put with motorist as they drive an armoured vehicle.
    The cyclist poses just about NO risc to the driver of a car wheres the motorist poses an all too deadly one to the cyclist.
    A just balance would be to lay responsibilty with the motorist.

What does a pedestrian weigh?
    Probably more than a cyclist.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Yes and that is why responsibilty should be put with motorist as they drive an armoured vehicle.
    The cyclist poses just about NO risc to the driver of a car wheres the motorist poses an all too deadly one to the cyclist.
    A just balance would be to lay responsibilty with the motorist.
    I'm referring to cause not effect. The former prevents accidents, the latter only affects the consequences.

Try that same argument on the person hit by a 13st man on a bicycle whilst walking..........

Back on topic, he's currently in an induced coma and "extremely critical".

Let's hope he gets through this.

Craftsman
    I really wish him the best and hope he is out of the coma soon.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by afcneal View Post
    I'm referring to cause not effect. The former prevents accidents, the latter only affects the consequences.
    The latter very much affects the cause as when the motorist IS the one responsible he/she is legally bound to drive more responsible near cyclists; give right of way, keep more distance, pass with less speed difference etc.

Having driven a car through London for about 30 years, and commuted to work on a motorcycle for nearly 10 before I moved away from the capital, I can honestly say I feel incredibly vulnerable on a bicycle and just never ride one. Maybe it's the sheer volume of traffic, myriad of lights, signs and speed cameras or daft pedestrians walking across the road staring dumbly into smartphones, or maybe because a bicycle is capable of weaving through traffic - or just leaves a small 'visual footprint' with no engine you can rev (like a motorbike) to make people more aware of your presence - I just feel like roadkill in waiting on a bike no matter how carefully I ride, or how many lights and yellow jackets/helmets I wear. Just too vulnerable in modern traffic conditions with all the distractions, so I choose not to cycle and prefer to walk or use the car. Sure, I've seen stupid behaviour from drivers, motorcyclists and cyclists but I just won't risk a bike ride

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not all drivers / cyclists are the same - I will always stop on a red light (ok nearly always) - some drivers leave loads of space but that unfortunately is a minority

Whenever I get agro I offer to give my bike, to the person offering the agro, for a week (only polite to offer something in return for such generousity) - "there you cycle to work every day for a week and then tell me the same things"

Would you pick a fight with someone with a large gun or knife? no... someone with a car is the same - its a large weapon, on a bike you're going to lose; you have to be passive, but you have to be safe and in control too

Actually the above reminded me of a similar analogy.
    I used to sail a lot. US East Coast, Bay of Biscay, Channel. As those who sail know, except in specific circumstances a sailboat has the right of way over a motorboat.
    Well within the sailing community there is a saying: Might is Right.
    Just because you may have priority doesn't mean you should take it, and sailing or riding with self preservation in mind is safer in the long run.

Back on topic he's in a very bad way, desperately sad and fingers crossed he pulls through. Young fit guy so he has the best chance.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Having driven a car through London for about 30 years, and commuted to work on a motorcycle for nearly 10 before I moved away from the capital, I can honestly say I feel incredibly vulnerable on a bicycle and just never ride one. Maybe it's the sheer volume of traffic, myriad of lights, signs and speed cameras or daft pedestrians walking across the road staring dumbly into smartphones, or maybe because a bicycle is capable of weaving through traffic - or just leaves a small 'visual footprint' with no engine you can rev (like a motorbike) to make people more aware of your presence - I just feel like roadkill in waiting on a bike no matter how carefully I ride, or how many lights and yellow jackets/helmets I wear. Just too vulnerable in modern traffic conditions with all the distractions, so I choose not to cycle and prefer to walk or use the car. Sure, I've seen stupid behaviour from drivers, motorcyclists and cyclists but I just won't risk a bike ride
    I'm in this camp.

I have loved bicycles since I was a child. Well into adulthood I rode regularly including a spell commuting in London. 15 years ago whilst riding my Brompton down a wide and relatively traffic free road near Henley I was hit from behind by a Ford Transit. My left shoulder and arm absorbed most of the impact (denting the nearside wing) and my head received a glancing blow from the wing mirror (that shattered on impact). I recall flying through the air and thinking I was going to die. However I obviously didn't and got away with sever bruising and a deep cut to my scalp.

I sold my Brompton the very next week and didn't cycle at all for nearly ten years. I then bought an upright Dutch bike to pop down to the village shops on and a second hand Brompton mainly for nostalgic reasons. I never really used the Brompton and my trips down to the shops on the roadster were hardly the relaxing, gentle affairs I had envisaged. I guess the incident with the Transit had shattered my nerves as regards cycling on the road. After gathering dust in my garage both bikes were sold a few years ago. I cannot envisage cycling on the road again.

My wifes Brompton, bought new in 1995 has probably covered all of 50 miles and hangs in the garage like a piece of modern art. She is now disabled and couldn't ride it even if she wanted to. I guess it will end up on eBay in about 20 years time as a collectors piece!

I hope that the young man in question pulls through.
    Last edited by Velorum; 19th May 2017 at 09:10.

Master
    “Hayden has suffered a serious polytrauma with subsequent serious cerebral damage....the prognosis remains reserved.”

Best wishes to him.

It's highly unlikely the driver intended to be involved in an accident so I have sympathy for them too, even if they erred we're all human behind the wheel and the vast majority drive safely.
    When cycling I feel very vulnerable on the roads and ride accordingly however car technology will reduce collisions like this long before the road infrastructure or education minimises the relatively low level of accidents, albeit some with terrible consequences.
    Elon Musk expects a Tesla to navigate across America without human intervention before the end of this year.

My thoughts are with Nicky, his family and loved ones, a truly great racer of recent years. Hope he pulls through.

Another Cyclist injured

You guys are lucky conpared to our premises here
    Anyone with a bicycle in Cyprus is like swimming with white sharks and having an open wound
    Tragic

Probably more than a cyclist.
    LOLZ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car /bus /hgv drivers and cyclists can all be as stupid and inconsiderate as each other. But the consequences are vastly different. But there do seem to be more car drivers that exist in a bubble, completely unaware of their surroundings.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

the standard of all road users in London, including cyclists is horrific, nobody seems to obey the laws of the road!
    Ever been to India?
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    But there do seem to be more car drivers that exist in a bubble, completely unaware of their surroundings.
    It's a percentage game.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Ever been to India?
    Only once, but we were driven everywhere in a motorcade.

Only once, but we were driven everywhere in a motorcade.
    So you know how chaotic the traffic is there. Off the scale compared to London.
    The difference with India is that different groups of road users are alot more tolerant of each other than in london.
    Just my personal observation.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

So you know how chaotic the traffic is there. Off the scale compared to London.
    The difference with India is that different groups of road users are alot more tolerant of each other than in london.
    Just my personal observation.
    This is going a little off-topic but just to say, I have found London unique in the anger, abuse and impatience shown on the roads. By all users. In other cities, Rome etc everyone just gets on with it, sure they beep their horns and cut each other up but everyone seems to be on the same page. London is different, hence I try to avoid driving in London...difficult given I live here!

Anyway I hope the cyclist in the OP makes a full recovery.

Cyclists should have insurance and registration plates, and I would vote for anyone who advocates this.
    Yay that should stop the majority from cycling. Then they'll use their cars instead and we can all enjoy greater polution, more asthma, more pot holes, and longer traffic jams. Great policy, is it in any manifesto?

Quote Originally Posted by PamFan View Post
    Nah, just put the extra 610,000 people a day on the tube. There's loads of space!
    Or let Darwin work its magic. It's easy to make ridiculous statements and assumptions. Last year 9 cyclists died in London. Is it a problem? Not to me. But then the victims were unknown to me so should I care? The thing is, I do.
    Compulsory registration would not have changed that. But being able to tackle cyclists who behave dreadfully would not only have an influence on their attitude (I am not delusional, that would be limited) it would also end the culture of impunity that exists.
    Removing the impunity would also go some way into people feeling less tempted to play vigilantes, whether by kicking a tyre or using an umbrella as a member suggested above, or using your car as a mean to 'teach them a lesson'.
    Then our learned friend will be able to get off his overcrowded tube and ride his precious racer again. And possibly paint his skirting boards.

Pedestrians were killed how? Stabbed in a backstreet? Heart attack? Or run over by a car?

Ever been to India?

Yes

Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

A bad one if you allow me. The idea is to have a fraction of a chance of catching people being stupid on the road. Is it a good solution? I genuinely don't know. Is it even enforceable? Probably yes, but with a considerable price tag. So we are back to the 9 people killed: are their lives worth this expense, knowing that it may only half the casualties after a few years?
    But then licensing dog owners may have more mileage. Won't do anything for cyclists but dogs are cute.

In that case never moan when a car passes too close for your comfort. And rest assured that if he clips you, and there are witnesses to identify the car with its registration (something the dvla manages reasonably correctly) he will be prosecuted.

Master
    As car drivers we're expected to take heed of what is following before maneuvering. Lorries should do the same - and could be a child, not a cyclist they've missed.

As SJ said cameras would be a cheap solution.
    Oh I totally agree, but a current lorry set up means there is a blind spot directly behind, same for vans, therefore the advice given that you following behind can see their wing mirrors, so they can see you. Both parties have a shared responsibility in such cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    In that case never moan when a car passes too close for your comfort. And rest assured that if he clips you, and there are witnesses to identify the car with its registration (something the dvla manages reasonably correctly) he will be prosecuted.
    So I'm only allowed to grumble about peoples driving standards if I champion the licensing and registration of cyclists?

What other idiotic ideas must I support in order to have a moan? Will supporting the introduction of a governmental department of Fairies give me the right to moan about the weather?

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    So I'm only allowed to grumble about peoples driving standards if I champion the licensing and registration of cyclists?

What other idiotic ideas must I support in order to have a moan? Will supporting the introduction of a governmental department of Fairies give me the right to moan about the weather?
    Idiotic ideas I have loads. The point of course was that you can moan all you like but it is completely ineffectual and nobody cares, not even politicians. So I respectfully suggest you come up with as many idiotic ideas as you can, and put them out there. Maybe somebody will take one, change it and run with it. But if you'd rather behave like a short Richard and mock from the sidelines I suggest you do it in a different part of the forum.

I merely pointed out that the key issue is enforcement. Cars are registered and insured and that doesn't stop loads of people texting at the wheel and generally driving like morons.
    There's no arguing with someone who thinks that cyclists are the greatest danger on our roads! He's in a world of alternative facts.

ABH and criminal damage. Two serious criminal offences as a response to one minor road traffic offence.

I'd like to see guys like you doing time inside.
    Last time I looked the Highway code applies to cyclists as well. But perhaps that's the problem. Some cyclists doesn't think it applies to them. Which is odd because Newtonian Laws and Laws of Gravity do.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche