timefactors watches

Thread: 7t27 ym57a

7t27 ym57a

Hello. For some years I have owned and considered repairing a seiko 7t27-7a20 chronograph (time works, chronograph didn't) but found the price prohibitive.
    I have recently found that shiojiri or Epson movements can replace the 7t27, specifically the ym57a movement. I wondered if anyone had pursued this, or if anyone has a broken 7t27 if they would be interested in splitting shipping costs on movements. How much it how difficult is it to switch a quartz movement?

Master
    I recently purchased one of these very movements for my Gen 2 chrono from a guy on the bay. The only small issue was that the date wheel is white and not black like the original.

Before going down the e-bay route I called Seiko who informed that if I wanted a full service to the watch they would charge me 150 inc postage. Where as I paid 60 the NOS movement and 20 for it to be fitted and the only thing wrong with old movement is that the 24 hour sub dial had died .

Quote Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
    I recently purchased one of these very movements for my Gen 2 chrono from a guy on the bay. The only small issue was that the date wheel is white and not black like the original.

Before going down the e-bay route I called Seiko who informed that if I wanted a full service to the watch they would charge me 150 inc postage. Where as I paid 60 the NOS movement and 20 for it to be fitted and the only thing wrong with old movement is that the 24 hour sub dial had died .
    Thanks for your post. I had not thought about the date wheel colour. I suppose a date wheel swap is possible but adds cost.

Would you mind sharing who swapped the movement for you?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post
    Thanks for your post. I had not thought about the date wheel colour. I suppose a date wheel swap is possible but adds cost.

Would you mind sharing who swapped the movement for you?

I don't mind at all. The work was carried out by RV Ralph in Uxbridge. He is also on facebook.

Thanks, I'll look him up when i get a movement.
    Found the movements at a good price in Belgium (Justtime)and the USA. Can't get a response from the Belgians unfortunately. Does anyone have an account at justtime?
    Last edited by ernestrome; 19th May 2017 at 18:26.

I recently carried out this swap for a friend - it's exactly the same movement so all the hand sizes are correct and swapping the date ring is pretty simple too.

Excellent low-cost way of keeping a fantastic watch in service.

Oh, cousins sell the movement in the U.K. so that's worth a look

I've just checked the Cousins website and they have the YM57M in stock for 18.50 plus sniping and vat - direct replacement for the gen2 with its slightly unorthodox pusher arrangement

https://www.cousinsuk.com/search?SearchTerm=Ym57

That's great thanks. Justtime aren't set up to ship to the UK and language difficulties are making it very complex to arrange.

Is it a bit tricky to get parts from cousins if not in the business?

If you'd consider doing another swap Dick, drop me a line.
    Last edited by ernestrome; 11th June 2017 at 13:06.

Parts from Cousins are available to all - you just have to tick a box that says you are trade; this has the effect of removing your consumer rights as you are no longer a consumer!

It is easier to source in the UK, that's for sure - until very recently I used to buy these movements in Japan and that was a royal pain

Yes, indeed I found I already have an account with them.

What would I need to do it myself, movement and date wheel swap? Bit worried about being the hands off. Any idea of the gasket size?

Master
    Alternatively you could send your watch to Seiko ( UK ) in Maidenhead for a service and they will charge you 149 plus p + p.

Try ebay.