closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IndyCar

IndyCar

Fernando Alonso is getting a few laps in, this IndyCar link has been showing some nice onboard footage.

Master
    I hope he does well, he needs a bit of good luck to cheer him up!

Quite interesting how much the Yank commentators are talking about Alonso, it seems there's real excitement to see how he'll perform.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It's fast but bloody boring. Round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Quite interesting how much the Yank commentators are talking about Alonso, it seems there's real excitement to see how he'll perform.
    And the increase in audience size that they're seeing. They hope that it may linger once Alson has gone...

Turn left, turn left, turn left, turn left and repeat 499 times.

Its fast and you need to be brave, but it doesn't float my boat.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post

It's very different and I have to agree, it's a bit difficult to understand its cachet as a spectator sport. Maybe it complements or contrasts with other races in the series, eg:

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    It's very different and I have to agree, it's a bit difficult to understand its cachet as a spectator sport. Maybe it complements or contrasts with other races in the series, eg:

Strangely I can see the Spectator element in so are that they can see every part of the track. Plus it's bloody dangerous and the crashes can be spectacular. Proper gladiators.

Plus it's really for the red necks who like to drink and BBQ. A big boys version of Stock Car Racing.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I feel the same when I watch cricket unless I have a knowledgeable friend to explain the subtleties of the game. Maybe this is the same?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I feel the same when I watch cricket unless I have a knowledgeable friend to explain the subtleties of the game. Maybe this is the same?
    That's very similar to my thoughts. It's an endurance race similar to, but nothing really like, to the 24h Le Mans where it takes an experienced spectator to appreciate the nuances.

FA and the Andretti team have been out leading, trailing in dirty air, passing etc. On his solo test day AF simulated laps under the safety car (or whatever they call it), in-laps, out-laps, different fuel settings etc, etc. Can they, and how can they, simulate overtaking back markers? Do they have an equivalent of blue flags? I should know, having watched some of the racing in the past, but the answers escape me for now.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    That's very similar to my thoughts. It's an endurance race similar to, but nothing really like, to the 24h Le Mans where it takes an experienced spectator to appreciate the nuances.

FA and the Andretti team have been out leading, trailing in dirty air, passing etc. On his solo test day AF simulated laps under the safety car (or whatever they call it), in-laps, out-laps, different fuel settings etc, etc. Can they, and how can they, simulate overtaking back markers? Do they have an equivalent of blue flags? I should know, having watched some of the racing in the past, but the answers escape me for now.
    Nope, no blue flag alternatives as that would mean permanent blue lights around the track.

The teams have their own spotters around the track keeping the team boss informed about relative positions, situations and local conditions. The team boss stategically informs the rider about what he deems relevant, opportune.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I love cricket and motor sport, but no comparison at all, especially test match cricket. For one thing no technology involved other than bits of wood and balls (made of wood and leather), and its 5 days (if lucky). The battle between the batsman and the bowler launching an object at speeds over 90mph, the placement of the field, the risks involved in playing or not playing shots, the satisfaction of a Maiden over, a beautifully executed cover drive, a slip catch, etc, plus all the history. It's the Ashes this year which started in 1882 - 3 years after Benz launched his internal combustion engine and 10 before the first Diesel engine.

But I understand if someone not brought up on the game might struggle. I feel the same about Boules and Croquet.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Not sure why all the fuss.
    Didn't hear too much when Scottish lad with good Scottish name Dario Franchitti won the Indy 500 three times, the Indy series 4 times and Daytona once.
    The cars in these races are much more evenly matched than F1 so a more accurate reflection on driver skill.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Not sure why all the fuss.
    The ´fuss´ is a media hype and about whipping up interest. It was pretty much the same when Mansell stepped over.
    Whether the contents warrants the hype is another. You could ask the same about F1; is the actual racing worth any fuss?

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    It's fast but bloody boring. Round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    I went to the first of the two (only) indycar (KART) races at Rockingham a few years ago - it was amazing! You could see the entire track, could wander into the garage areas, and the race was won on the last turn of the last lap. They were lapping every 20 secs in excess of 200mph

I'd go to an Indycar race before an F1 - that's for sure.

I think the Americans still remember Mansell going over there and becoming F1 and Indycar champion in the same year ('92?).....

One famous quote from a race commentator over there, when Mansell started to win on the ovals........ "Rookie - my ass!"

I think it's a different breed of driver in both types of racing- Mansell was obviously able to do both.

Al

Craftsman
    It may be roundy roundy but they do actually overtake quite a bit & the race isn't won on how fast the quick fit fitters can change tyres. I'd watch Indy over F1 any day.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    ....and adding to that, Alonso observed that the drivers are more driving the Indy cars than they are F1 cars because of a simpler level of tech.

Link to the Mclaren Honda Andretti car...in 3D, in you have a VR setup.

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    until there's a mahooooosive crash...

Master

I'm not an expert - but isn't that NASCAR? Indy racing is more like F1 from what I understand (you get to turn left AND right)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NikosF View Post
    I'm not an expert - but isn't that NASCAR? Indy racing is more like F1 from what I understand (you get to turn left AND right)
    Yes and no, but Alonso goes to none of the above. He is at the Indy 500 which is an event on itself. A bit like the Le Mans 24 hours.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The Indianapolis Speedway, home of o.a. the Indy 500.

It is called an oval but is really a rectangle with banked corners that blend into eachother:

http://d255vb63773d25.cloudfront.net...0170514T143950

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Yes and no, but Alonso goes to none of the above. He is at the Indy 500 which is an event on itself. A bit like the Le Mans 24 hours.
    AAAAHH! (facepalm emoji) - Indy as in Indianapolis, not the race series.

Cheers mate.

Oval racing is an acquired taste - Personally NASCAR does nothing for me, but millions of yanks love it.

Indycar racing is a bit different, I can enjoy a good oval race there.

The 500s tend to be 400 mile high speed reliability (and keep out of trouble) runs, followed by 100 mile races, though.

M.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Meanwhile, on the BBC Formula 1 page, Alonso´s adventure is getting more attention than the subject of the page...

Nope, no blue flag alternatives as that would mean permanent blue lights around the track.

The teams have their own spotters around the track keeping the team boss informed about relative positions, situations and local conditions. The team boss stategically informs the rider about what he deems relevant, opportune.
    Thanks for that, but what's this about, then? Verizon Indycar Series - Official Rule Book, Chapter 7, At Track Procedures:

7.2.5.3. At Oval Events, the informational blue flag will be displayed from the starter’s stand as per Rule 7.2.5.1. A command blue flag ordered directly by INDYCAR and displayed from the starter’s stand directs a Lapped Car to give way to the overtaking Car within one (1) lap.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for that, but what's this about, then? Verizon Indycar Series - Official Rule Book, Chapter 7, At Track Procedures:

7.2.5.3. At Oval Events, the informational blue flag will be displayed from the starter’s stand as per Rule 7.2.5.1. A command blue flag ordered directly by INDYCAR and displayed from the starter’s stand directs a Lapped Car to give way to the overtaking Car within one (1) lap.
    Nice rule and how do you envisage that for normal racing?

Also read that it is ´from the starters stand´....

It is a must have in case a fast car with for some reason a lap down can influence the race. This way team strategies of that order are circumvented.

Nice rule and how do you envisage that for normal racing?

Also read that it is ´from the starters stand´....

It is a must have in case a fast car with for some reason a lap down can influence the race. This way team strategies of that order are circumvented.
    I'm none the wiser...guess I'll find out when I see one deployed.

Banned
    At the weekend I attempted to watch the Indy "Grand Prix" in which they drive a twisty a section inside the oval.... zzzzzz. The cars are quite ugly. The track is quite boring and the cars seemed cumbersome.

The Indy 500 on the other hand will be interesting because Alonso is taking part and the constant high speed makes it interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by James_ View Post
    At the weekend I attempted to watch the Indy "Grand Prix" in which they drive a twisty a section inside the oval.... zzzzzz. The cars are quite ugly. The track is quite boring and the cars seemed cumbersome.

The Indy 500 on the other hand will be interesting because Alonso is taking part and the constant high speed makes it interesting.
    F1 cars are hardly beautiful either, though.

That said, the Indy GP was probably the dullest Indycar race I've seen in 10 years!

Much better when they race on circuits like Long Beach, Road America, etc...

M

It's Fast Friday...extra boost and working up to trim this for weekend's qualifying sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by NikosF View Post
    Indy 500 is raced on an Oval (the Brickyard). Many of the other races are on are more traditional F1 style circuits -which are much more enjoyable.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Is the Indy500 broadcast on any of the UK available channels?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    -which are much more enjoyable.
    That is subjective and tens of millions of americans beg to differ.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I'm none the wiser...guess I'll find out when I see one deployed.
    Yet the answer is simple:
    No they do not have the same system as in F1.
    Yes they do have a blue flag rule modified to prevent team strategies to hold the leader up.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jwillans View Post
    Is the Indy500 broadcast on any of the UK available channels?
    It's on BT Sport I believe. Looking forward to the race, I like Indycar and F1 so will be a good day for me

Quote Originally Posted by SIB View Post
    It's on BT Sport I believe. Looking forward to the race, I like Indycar and F1 so will be a good day for me

Yep...BT Sport: link.

Qualifying this weekend...along with a MotoGP.

Race weekend sees the start of both the America's Cup meeting in Bermuda and the IoM TT...as well as F1.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Looks like Alonso has top notch coaching. Yesterday he spent most time in traffic, experiencing ´dirty´air.

Today all will be running with the turbo pressure turned up, so quicker than previously.

Fast Friday is live on YouTube now:

Alonso just did a 231.080mph lap with a tow! He's the only driver at the moment with a 230mph lap without a tow.

Live timing here: http://racecontrol.indycar.com/
    Last edited by Phil Lee; 19th May 2017 at 17:20.

Master
    Rain stopped play but Alonso very impressive. Fifth fastest overall and third fastest without a draft.

It looks like rain has hit today's QP and it may take some time to clear: RainRadar.

Edit: Yep...it's really quite wet: webcam and I expect there is lightning about. Looking at this Radar the storm may pass through in an hour plus, then they have to dry the track. They may get it open later in the day (well into the evening over here).
    Last edited by PickleB; 20th May 2017 at 16:51.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Rain delay.

With Alonso 5th yesterday it is not at all unlikely to think him in the fast 9 today for Sunday´s main course of qualifying.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Qualifying for today reportedly cancelled.

Qualifying for today reportedly cancelled.
    Live reporting...an update expected in 5 to 10 mins on whether they'll get going again today.

Update: There are plenty of people walking around outside without hats or umbrellas...and I've just seen the fleet of red cars, that drive around the track when they're trying to dry it, go past.

From the Speedway President: They're drying the track...no more practice...everyone gets one shot at qualification for Sunday...they'll stay open later than advertised (18h00 EDT) to fit that in.

Latest guestimate: Running to start in about 2 hours, that's 16h00 - 16h30 EDT (21h00 - 21h30 BST) [22h00 - 22h30 CEST].

The commentator is pretty upbeat about tomorrow...fingers crossed it is a drying forecast for Sunday: MetOff.
    Last edited by PickleB; 20th May 2017 at 19:01.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Live reporting...an update expected in 5 to 10 mins on whether they'll get going again today.

Update: There are plenty of people walking around outside without hats or umbrellas...and I've just seen the fleet of red cars, that drive around the track when they're trying to dry it, go past.

From the Speedway President: They're drying the track...no more practice...everyone gets one shot at qualification for Sunday...they'll stay open later than advertised (18h00 EDT) to fit that in.

Latest guestimate: Running to start in about 2 hours, that's 16h00 - 16h30 EDT (21h00 - 21h30 BST) [22h00 - 22h30 CEST].

The commentator is pretty upbeat about tomorrow...fingers crossed it is a drying forecast for Sunday: MetOff.
    Thanks. So ´just´training cancelled and a dash for the fast nine then.
    Going to be tight and a cold track.
    Fingers crossed.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    F1 cars are hardly beautiful either, though.

That said, the Indy GP was probably the dullest Indycar race I've seen in 10 years!

Much better when they race on circuits like Long Beach, Road America, etc...

M
    Personally I think F1 cars are beautiful. Not all of them, sometimes in a whole season or more there might only be 1 beauty that stands out. Then there's the individual aerodynamic parts...

Sebastien Bourdais has had a big crash.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    Sebastien Bourdais has had a big crash.
    Yep...no loss of consciousness, straight to hospital to be checked out:

courtesy Fox Sports

...fingers crossed.

Bourdais has multiple fractures to his pelvis and a fracture to his right hip.