closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please don't shout at me but.....

Journeyman

Please don't shout at me but.....

Just got back from a long weekend in Dublin. On Saturday my wife decided she wanted to go shopping in the city centre so, as usual, we decided to go our separate ways and meet up later in the day. This gave me the ideal opportunity to pay a visit to Keanes Jewellers and not be rushed. I recently sold my Seamaster so had some cash burning a hole in my pocket. I've been thinking of a Rolex Explorer and couldn't wait to get to the shop. By the time I reached my destination I was really excited at the thought of finally getting my hands on the watch, spending a load of cash and taking it home. Maybe I had been expecting too much but, after half an hour of touching, feeling, looking and trying it on, I was left feeling a little underwhelmed. I honestly wanted to love the watch but, it just left me cold. I don't know if it's me but, I felt the Omega I've just sold felt a better quality item. Has anyone else experienced the same feeling with Rolex? Am I missing something?

Master
    Rolex aren't for everyone, that simple

Sorry but Rolex watches are first assembled by magical gnomes and then polished with fairy dust cloth made out of baby unicorn skin that makes them more shiny and beautiful than any other watches. While Omegas are hewn out of rough basalt and polished by drunken Ogre's with the dirty rags they use to clean the latrine. Seriously though I think a lot of luxury watches disappoint in the flesh, there is a lot of marketing hype in these products and even though there may be a difference in quality between Rolex and Omega in finishing, it's very very subtle.

Buyer's remorse. You have just spent several thousand on what is all said and done just a watch. You should get over it in a few days or weeks, but if you don't you can sell or trade the watch and get much of your money back.

1st world problem, they're only watches, you'll live.

Master
    As the OP did not buy the watch it is hardly 'buyers remorse.' He just didn't like the watch.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Just buy an Omega then.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Have to say that the explorer does nothing for me. Seamaster pro's even less so.
    What about a sm300? Nicest of the omega range imo.

Master
    I am definitely not a Rolex fanboy but to be fair to the brand the Explorer is probably its most understated, or underwhelming as the OP might put it, watch.

Many other Rolex watches have much more presence.

Had the same feeling when I tried the Speedy moonwatch
    Felt 'Tinny'

Probably just me

Mozza

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    The Explorer is one of the more understated designs and that's its appeal. The trouble is, you can't see the movement, and based on looks alone it can be hard to reconcile that tool-ish look with current luxury goods prices. This requirement to look as expensive as the price tag has lead to many Rolex designs getting progressively more blingy over the years, compared with their vintage incarnations at least, and in many cases that arguably hasn't been an improvement. Even the Explorer is a bit shinier than it used to be due to the applied numbers, though now they have lume in them it's been toned down a bit and is certainly at the tool watch end of the spectrum, for a Rolex. If that doesn't appeal, something like the Datejust 41 makes more of an effort to look sparkly.

Please don't shout at me but.....

I evaluated the 36mm Explorer against the 40mm Explorer II that I later purchased. I did find the Explorer a little too simple.

Having seen friends Seamasters, and my own Speedy Pro, Rolex and Omega quality is identical. Omega has more impressive packaging though!

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I experienced the same when I tried on an Omega DSOTM with the ceramic case. It felt like one of those cheap plastic stop watches that I used to wear when running. Sometimes it is just a certain watch rather than a model or even a brand, other Speedmasters owned or tried on have been fine.

happened to me with a sub - can believe i didn't buy it but just didn't feel the love when it was on the wrist ...

just having fun in the cheap seats these days leaving the mid range stuff for those that want it

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    As the OP did not buy the watch it is hardly 'buyers remorse.' He just didn't like the watch.
    I misread the OP. No problem at all if OP just didn't like the watch. I've seen lots in the metal (Tudor) that just didn't live up to expectations. It's a good thing isn't it? A saving.

That's why you go and try things on.

That said, sometimes (often?) you have to live with a watch for a while before its charms really start to grow on you. I see people flipping a watch the day they've bought it and then later on wanting it back. Either way, hasty decisions tend to be a mistake.

Master
    Try a SDC4000.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    As mentioned, Rolex aren't for everyone.
    Personally I love them and probably wouldn't consider many other brands but there is certain I dont like, for example Breitling.

Grand Master
    The brutal truth ia that all these watches are overpriced! I bought a second-hand Explorer in 2008/9 for £1750, box & papers, recent Rolex service, from a reputable seller. At the time a new one was around £2700. still a lot to pay but well below current prices. My watch would probably sell for around £3000 but no way does it feel like 3 grands-worth of watch! Put it aide by side wirh the £35 Seiko 5 bought on Lanzarotte 14 years ago (similar style of watch) and it's laughable to think how much dofference there is in value.

As I've sid many times, 'they're only bloody watches' . Sometimes the hype and expectation leads to disappointment. That's why I find vintage watches for a few hundred quid more appealing thesedays, there's an honesty about them that's been lost with 'luxury goods' alignment of modern watches.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 16th May 2017 at 13:11.

Not sure why people are telling you that Rolex might not be for you because of one model. Quite short sighted.

I'm in the same camp as you. Have been in and tried on the Explorer 1 (both 2015 and 2016) models four times with a view to buying but just couldn't pull the trigger. Love my BLNR and really wanted something more subtle from the same brand but I guess as much as I want to buy the Explorer 1 I just can't go through with it.

Now looking at either a GS Snowflake or a SD 16600 instead. Explorer would be an easier purchase by miles - new, five year warranty, full set as bought new etc, but I just can't buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    The brutal truth ia that all these watches ate overpriced! I bought a second-hand Explorer in 2008/9 for £1750, box & papers, recent Rolex service, from a reputable seller. At the time a new one was around £2700. still a lot to pay but well below current prices. My watch would probably sell for around £3000 but no way does it feel like 3 grands-worth of watch! Put it aide by side wirh the £35 Seiko 5 bought on Lanzarotte 14 years ago (similar style of watch) and it's laughable to think how much dofference there is in value.

As I've sid many times, 'they're only bloody watches' . Sometimes the hype and expectation leads to disappointment. That's why I find vintage watches for a few hundred quid more appealing thesedays, there's an honesty about them that's been lost with 'luxury goods' alignment of modern watches.

Paul
    As you are someone who works with watches Paul, I find your comment on comparing the Seiko 5 and the Rolex Explorer a little naive and simplistic. Surely it doesn't even take anything close to a strip down to see some vastly different standards.
    It's just a matter of time...

Just shows how different we are.
    For me the Explorer 1 is the pick of the current range, especially as the SD4000 has gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Mc View Post
    Just got back from a long weekend in Dublin. On Saturday my wife decided she wanted to go shopping in the city centre so, as usual, we decided to go our separate ways and meet up later in the day. This gave me the ideal opportunity to pay a visit to Keanes Jewellers and not be rushed. I recently sold my Seamaster so had some cash burning a hole in my pocket. I've been thinking of a Rolex Explorer and couldn't wait to get to the shop. By the time I reached my destination I was really excited at the thought of finally getting my hands on the watch, spending a load of cash and taking it home. Maybe I had been expecting too much but, after half an hour of touching, feeling, looking and trying it on, I was left feeling a little underwhelmed. I honestly wanted to love the watch but, it just left me cold. I don't know if it's me but, I felt the Omega I've just sold felt a better quality item. Has anyone else experienced the same feeling with Rolex? Am I missing something?
    I SAVED like hell to buy a Rolex, finally the cash was there and surplus (separate account setup for sole purpose), so off I went skipping like a wee lassie to Glasgow, got into the shop..asked to see it to try it on and feel it, only to be kicked in the nuts as I felt so underwhelmed with it, just didnt have the 'magic' I thought it would do.

Anyway, Navitimer tried on, found one I wanted on ebay and bought it with cash to spare...cant ever say I look at someones Rolex and think 'wow that is lovely' as it just doesn't excite me. I would say Tudor float my boat more that Rolex.

Craftsman
    Keanes? Were you in Dublin or Cork?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    I thought this would stir a few people. It's good to to know I'm not the only one who wasn't as impressed as they thought they would be. The Explorer was really the only Rolex I was interested in. Maybe the Submariners do feel different but, I'm not really into diving style watches anymore which is one of the reasons I sold the Omega. I tend to like fairly simple dials with Arabic numerals. Likewise chronographs don't really do much for me either. I can appreciate the complexities of the movements but, when I go for a run I use a digital watch which is alot clearer to read. It's since being on here that I've discovered Nomos. I think the Club is a lovely looking watch and I'll see if I can take a look at one of these when I go to London next month.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    Keanes? Were you in Dublin or Cork?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Just re read my original post. Should have said Cork! Got Dublin on the brain at the moment.

Master
    The current model explorer leaves me the same OP. However as others have said, that shouldn't stop you from trying other models, perhaps even older models such as an explorer I etc.

I feel the same, it is an underwhelming model.

Had a similar realisation at the weekend. Got to try a BLNR on at the weekend, totally underwhelmed. Love them when I see them online etc, but in the flesh the colour seems more muted, and just didn't do anything for me.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

They're the fenders of the watch world. I can't stand them personally and every time I see BLNR written here (which is at least three times a day) It makes me queasy.

Each to their own though of course. Whatever makes you happy. We're all different thankfully.

Master
    I think with me one of the issues is once you try on vintage you never go back!!!!
    Seriously there is a soul to the older models a warmth with the ageing lume etc.
    Having said all of the above I find the Explorer cold and the Milgaus even more so.
    As others have said very good idea as you did to try on first then you avoid a very costly remorse.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    I think with me one of the issues is once you try on vintage you never go back!!!!
    Seriously there is a soul to the older models a warmth with the ageing lume etc.
    Most of my collection is and has been vintage. Although I agree that often the air of a past age lingers on a watch in a very engaging way, I think it not impossible for a new watch to have that warmth, too, if it really chimes with you.

As of last night I'm down to one non-vintage watch - but it's also my favourite watch.

Master
    It's hard in a way for the actual watches to keep up with the brand's legendary status. The prices say luxury watch, while the heritage is more about design icons, technical achievements, and dependability. Trying to bridge this gap has lead to watches like the sub becoming increasingly decorative, and bulky with it, when they started out as perfectly proportioned and ruggedly masculine tools.

Bridging the gap from design icon to luxury watch is less of an issue for Datejusts and the like, but they've still struggled to find the right way to update the sizes while keeping the proportions. The DJ41 is one of the better attempts, but some may find the iconic shape of the vintage models hard to improve on.

The Explorer is another example of this issue. As 'a Rolex' it must be a luxury watch and be priced accordingly, but that's not really the point of it, it's supposed to be going up mountains. They made it bigger, they added aplied indices which only made it look cheaper, and then rightly filled them with lume, regaining some of its original character. Those expecting to be wowed by several thousand pounds worth of luxury watch may wonder what the fuss is about. Still, the more subtle models in the modern range are arguably some of the best.

I would like a Rolex but new Rolex dont do anything for me at all, same with most modern watches like Omega.

They are a bit too crisp and shiny, modern production methods have made them so accurate in tolerances that is has killed the character for me.. I have got to the point where I like a watch to have mellowed a bit, a watch that has some character, give me a bit of creamy lume and a matt dial and I'll be happy man..

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    It's hard in a way for the actual watches to keep up with the brand's legendary status. The prices say luxury watch, while the heritage is more about design icons, technical achievements, and dependability. Trying to bridge this gap has lead to watches like the sub becoming increasingly decorative, and bulky with it, when they started out as perfectly proportioned and ruggedly masculine tools.

Bridging the gap from design icon to luxury watch is less of an issue for Datejusts and the like, but they've still struggled to find the right way to update the sizes while keeping the proportions. The DJ41 is one of the better attempts, but some may find the iconic shape of the vintage models hard to improve on.

The Explorer is another example of this issue. As 'a Rolex' it must be a luxury watch and be priced accordingly, but that's not really the point of it, it's supposed to be going up mountains. They made it bigger, they added aplied indices which only made it look cheaper, and then rightly filled them with lume, regaining some of its original character. Those expecting to be wowed by several thousand pounds worth of luxury watch may wonder what the fuss is about. Still, the more subtle models in the modern range are arguably some of the best.
    You make a good point, I think what's happened too that is tool/sport watches have become luxury watches. I am old enough to remember my Grandad getting a gold watch for his retirement, back then a luxury watch was almost always some sort of precious metal and a dress style watch (obviously there were exceptions to this), He had his 'normal' steel Omega seamaster for day to day stuff and got out his gold one for special occasions. Rolex Submariners were tool watches back in the day and priced accordingly, sure they were more expensive than other brands but they were not as disportionately high compared to average incomes as they are today. We now pay insane prices for Stainless Steel cased watches and get sold the idea they should be so expensive with things like finishing. movements, heritage.

Good post.

You can't argue with the success of their marketing model though can you? Even the group think on here, which is supposedly an independant bastion of the cognoscenti, they are generally seen as the sacred cow.

It's all tied up with value isn't it?
    Money in the bank doesn't get you anything these days + some models seem to hold their value well = 6 grand for a wrist trinket is justifiable economics
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Good post.

You can't argue with the success of their marketing model though can you? Even the group think on here, which is supposedly an independant bastion of the cognoscenti, they are generally seen as the sacred cow.

Money in the bank doesn't get you anything these days + some models seem to hold their value well = 6 grand for a wrist trinket is justifiable economics

Yes it's brilliant marketing, especially the money in the bank idea, put 6 grand in a Rolex sub and in 5 years you will be still having your money!! I admit it's tempted me on occasion.

Good post.

Agree especially your final point, demonstrably zirp has worked at least in so far as it's changed some peoples attitudes towards saving and spending.

Master

Indeed, in spite of the luxury tag, above all what really sells a Rolex for me is that considering depreciation, they are simply rather good value. I suppose the heritage and aura of the brand and the designs themselves are important factors too, but it's the good value that closes the deal!

Quote Originally Posted by Frakius View Post
    You make a good point, I think what's happened too that is tool/sport watches have become luxury watches. I am old enough to remember my Grandad getting a gold watch for his retirement, back then a luxury watch was almost always some sort of precious metal and a dress style watch (obviously there were exceptions to this), He had his 'normal' steel Omega seamaster for day to day stuff and got out his gold one for special occasions. Rolex Submariners were tool watches back in the day and priced accordingly, sure they were more expensive than other brands but they were not as disportionately high compared to average incomes as they are today. We now pay insane prices for Stainless Steel cased watches and get sold the idea they should be so expensive with things like finishing. movements, heritage.
    True, though this transformation began as long ago as the early 70s with the Royal Oak and Nautilus. The Explorer has never really fitted into this luxury sports watch category though, the appeal of the 1016 was much more down to earth and a good deal less dressy. Really Omega's Railmaster (not the 'new' throwback, the discontinued Aqua Terra style one) caught more of that spirit than Rolex could manage at the time, and it's now becoming something of a cult watch. It would certainly make a good alternative.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Most of my collection is and has been vintage. Although I agree that often the air of a past age lingers on a watch in a very engaging way, I think it not impossible for a new watch to have that warmth, too, if it really chimes with you.

As of last night I'm down to one non-vintage watch - but it's also my favourite watch.
    Go-on you tease us.. what is your one watch? Very disciplined by the way! Not sure I could do that

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    As you are someone who works with watches Paul, I find your comment on comparing the Seiko 5 and the Rolex Explorer a little naive and simplistic. Surely it doesn't even take anything close to a strip down to see some vastly different standards.
    No doubt that there's a difference, but what Paul's saying is the difference in quality doesn't relate to the difference in price.

Yes it's brilliant marketing, especially the money in the bank idea, put 6 grand in a Rolex sub and in 5 years you will be still having your money!! I admit it's tempted me on occasion.
    The thing is, I think people often don't take into account the cost of ownership, servicing costs etc., unless of course the watch is just a pure investment and just stays stashed in a safe all its life.

Man maths is to blame for oversights like this and I think the swisswatchdwarfmarketingninjas take full advantage of this.

All those price rises and controlling supply keep the market buoyant.

it's the good value that closes the deal!
    It's very clever isn't it?
    How else are you going to get that second or third watch past the Mrs?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I don't for a minute think Paul meant the Seiko 5 to be on a par with the Explorer in any way. But if a well made £50 watch is compared to a similarly styled £4000 model, the expensive model won't be 80x nicer, despite being 80x dearer. You'll only ever be underwhelmed by the expensive watch here using these criteria alone. The law of diminishing returns at work.

Craftsman
    I have 2 of the non ceramic Seamasters from the 1990s and purchased a Rolex Explorer this year. Now the explorer is a great watch and complements the other two: it has applied indices and doesn't have a diving bezel and, to me, looks a lot more dressy that the Seamasters. At the end of the day I wanted to own a Rolex and didn't want another diver style watch, so I bought the explorer.

After having the watch for a few months I have realised 2 things:

1. I prefer diver style watches with a Bezel
    2. This watch being 3 times the price of the Seamasters is not 3 times as good

As has been said above, it is just a watch, if you don't like it find one you do and buy that.
    Last edited by matt109; 16th May 2017 at 09:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    Go-on you tease us.. what is your one watch? Very disciplined by the way! Not sure I could do that
    Sorry, I badly worded that - I meant that my collection of six mechanicals contains only one non-vintage watch....

....and it's my favourite of the six. A very modern twenty-first century design, yeah? 😂

(The other five are from 1971, 1971, 1971, 1963 and 1922)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Mc View Post
    Has anyone else experienced the same feeling with Rolex? Am I missing something?
    I went out to buy a Rolex Air King. Was totally underwhelmed and, for the same money, bought a Breitling.

Last edited by Griswold; 16th May 2017 at 15:31. Reason: Better Picture
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

For some, myself included, the very appeal of the exp i is the understated look; it leaves the wearer to make his own mark without doing some special pleading on his behalf. YMMV.

Master
    I find my reaction to things often changes over time, whether it be watches, music, food, movies etc.

Obviously, if you don't feel it when you try a watch on, you'd be mad to buy it, however, I've bought watches online that I was initially underwhelmed by, but eventually grew to love.

Conversely, I have had a wow reaction to some that has evaporated over time.

The environment, circumstances and mindset in which we try on a watch is another variable that can subtly affect our judgement.

Rolex, like a few other luxury brands, has the burden of very high expectations; probably rather unrealistic ones, given the superb quality of watches now on offer at mid and even low tier. This competition hasn't harmed Rolex values in any way, mind you! ;-)
    Last edited by stefmcd; 16th May 2017 at 11:46.

Sorry but Rolex watches are first assembled by magical gnomes and then polished with fairy dust cloth made out of baby unicorn skin that makes them more shiny and beautiful than any other watches. While Omegas are hewn out of rough basalt and polished by drunken Ogre's with the dirty rags they use to clean the latrine. Seriously though I think a lot of luxury watches disappoint in the flesh, there is a lot of marketing hype in these products and even though there may be a difference in quality between Rolex and Omega in finishing, it's very very subtle.
    Brilliant analogy, LOVE IT, But where do Grand Seiko or Zenith for example sit when compared to Rolex gnomes or Omega ogres?