closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please don't shout at me but.....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Sorry, I badly worded that - I meant that my collection of six mechanicals contains only one non-vintage watch....

....and it's my favourite of the six. A very modern twenty-first century design, yeah? 

(The other five are from 1971, 1971, 1971, 1963 and 1922)
    Yes that's lovely not vintage inspired at all :) I'd wear that a very nice piece

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    As you are someone who works with watches Paul, I find your comment on comparing the Seiko 5 and the Rolex Explorer a little naive and simplistic. Surely it doesn't even take anything close to a strip down to see some vastly different standards.
    My comments are anything but naive and simplistic. OK, the Rolex will come out better by all criteria but the point I'm making is that it isn't 100 times better!

Paul

Master
    Get the 42mm explorer 2 white dial, I recently got one. Certainly not underwhelming

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    For some, myself included, the very appeal of the exp i is the understated look; it leaves the wearer to make his own mark without doing some special pleading on his behalf. YMMV.
    Its less is more approach makes it my favourite Rolex and one I wish I hadn't flipped. Hopefully will be replacing it soon.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Good post.

You can't argue with the success of their marketing model though can you? Even the group think on here, which is supposedly an independant bastion of the cognoscenti, they are generally seen as the sacred cow.

It's all tied up with value isn't it?
    Money in the bank doesn't get you anything these days + some models seem to hold their value well = 6 grand for a wrist trinket is justifiable economics
    I could not agree more Squire and my justification to enjoy my interest a tad more than I ought.

Pitch

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    I could not agree more Squire and my justification to enjoy my interest a tad more than I ought.

Pitch
    its not substance abuse and its not gambling and it doesnt involve abusing small furry mammals. could be a lot worse squire
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It's all a matter of preference.

I have a 36mm Explorer and of course I like it, I'd never wear anything over 40mm.

I like my watches to be discrete but we are thankfully not all the same.

There is no shortage of choices so go with what floats your boat.

Rolex Explorer – 2002

Last edited by Montello; 16th May 2017 at 22:49.

This is an interesting thread as I have come across a similar state of mind recently, but the other way around. I've been slowly bringing the collection down with the view of investing into a single greater value piece. I'd been toying with the BB36 and have tried it on a few times, liked it but I think in the back of my mind I wasn't sure... I prefer slimmer watches at 36-39mm ish. I have a Omega Railmaster and its dimensions are perfect. So with the BB not 100% my mind turned to adding more and going for a 36mm Explorer. I've tried these on a few times and really liked them, but when I last tried a piece on in the Burlington Arcade (as I was passing) I had a nagging feeling it was wearing smaller than my other 36mm watches.

Since Baselworld I'd really wanted to see the BB41. What is the slimmer case like - does it help the slab sided issue. Got to try one on in Selfridges the other week. The Result - It doesn't help at all. Looks like a dogs dinner and actually killed the line off for me in both sizes. I realised I just don't like the crown tube and something just felt off on my wrist. After all my plans for it!

So time to retreat and have a longer think. Then finally this weekend We had popped down to Cheltenham for one of our trips back to the wife's homeland and - at last - I saw the 2016 Explorer. I've been fascinated to try it since it got unveiled - all the issues were sorted out that I didn't like on the previous 39mm BUT I'd never taken to the pictures of it. Thought it looked a bit ham fisted compared to the classic dimensions. Tried it on and instantly knew that this was the watch for me, really bowled me over. Just felt and looked right. Comparison to the Tudor, showed a true difference in finishing, quality and better design rules. Also I should trust my gut that 39mm is the size I love. It's amazing how the steel that Rolex use makes such a difference to the look of a watch.

Means a bigger spend, more selling, more saving and a larger leap but it's gotta be worth it. Right?

This ramble just adding to the sentiment that the ideas and feelings what you like do evolve - and the fun is mulling it over and doing your research, hopefully leading to the perfect outcome.

Banned
    Had the same feeling when I sold 3 Eddies to buy a Sinn 104. The feeling was diluted by several thousand pounds of course. But still fuuuuu...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OliverCD View Post
    Since Baselworld I'd really wanted to see the BB41. What is the slimmer case like - does it help the slab sided issue. Got to try one on in Selfridges the other week. The Result - It doesn't help at all. Looks like a dogs dinner and actually killed the line off for me in both sizes. I realised I just don't like the crown tube and something just felt off on my wrist. After all my plans for it!
    I loved the look of the BB36 in photos when it was launched, but when I tried it, it seemed very small on the wrist - even though I have slim wrists and happily wear other 36mm watches. I also tried the new and larger BB41 the other day, and as expected they've gone too far the other way, even the assistant had to admit it was overhanging, and they'll usually try to talk you into anything! A BB38, now that would be interesting! In the meantime, you've clearly made the correct decision, the Explorer just looks right.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    I loved the look of the BB36 in photos when it was launched, but when I tried it, it seemed very small on the wrist - even though I have slim wrists and happily wear other 36mm watches. I also tried the new and larger BB41 the other day, and as expected they've gone too far the other way, even the assistant had to admit it was overhanging, and they'll usually try to talk you into anything! A BB38, now that would be interesting! In the meantime, you've clearly made the correct decision, the Explorer just looks right.
    Now if they made a BB38 I would have to have one, not just want to have one, but actually have to! Maybe being from the same stable as rolex it would take too many sales from their other mid-sized offerings given the price difference, just a guess. And yes, the Explorer does look just right.

For me it isn't the sizing which is the issue with the BB36 it's the build quality. I would spend the extra and get an Exp 1 all day long. Like night and day. That being said I find both the 36 and the 41 the wrong size.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    For me it isn't the sizing which is the issue with the BB36 it's the build quality. I would spend the extra and get an Exp 1 all day long. Like night and day. That being said I find both the 36 and the 41 the wrong size.
    41??

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    41??

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    The Explorer is one of the more understated designs and that's its appeal...
    Totally agree with this. I've always liked the Explorer's simple design and historical links.

That said, there are some Omega watches that fit those criteria as well. It would be hard to choose between an early Explorer and an early Railmaster.

I've always admired the vintage Explorer 1 design and proportions, but when I came to choose between that, an Aqua Terra and a Grand Seiko, I chose the Grand Seiko. By comparison I found the finishing of the Rolex and Omega rough.

Last night I was out with someone wearing a 38mm Explorer 1, it just looked too big on him and again roughly finished. I know it's supposed to be a tool watch but to my eyes it looked cheap and the squared off numerals lost all charm compared to the rounded vintage ones. All my personal opinion of course.

Master
    I think to describe Rolex finishing as 'rough' is a bit harsh; but it is true that Grand Seiko feel distinctly better finished.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Ah got you... I thought you were comparing the 39 BB and current exp...

When I first tried on the Explorer I was also underwhelmed, but then a few months later I started looking at more photos and got tempted again. I ended up buying a 214270, which I ultimately replaced to buy a 114006 Sub, but I still to this day miss the Explorer and think it's one of the most versatile watches in their range.

I can really see where people think it's boring, but it's a watch that really grew on my over time, and I love the matt dial too. The great thing is you can buy one, wear it for x time and then probably sell for the same price, so just see it as a trial run. I do recommend though; it's a great and very understated watch.

Back in 2003 I was in the market for a replacement to my Tag Kirium. Was looking for a white dial so tried an Explorer II and Omega SMP 'great white'. Can't remember the exact cost differential, but I've got £900 in mind.

Anyway, I can recall clearly discounting the Rolex purely on the basis of the flimsy bracelet. The SMP had a much more solid bracelet, and perhaps a little naively that swung the decision.

Anyway, 14 years later I'm now on the hunt for a 16570!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    This is an interesting thread as I have come across a similar state of mind recently, but the other way around. I've been slowly bringing the collection down with the view of investing into a single greater value piece. I'd been toying with the BB36 and have tried it on a few times, liked it but I think in the back of my mind I wasn't sure... I prefer slimmer watches at 36-39mm ish. I have a Omega Railmaster and its dimensions are perfect. So with the BB not 100% my mind turned to adding more and going for a 36mm Explorer. I've tried these on a few times and really liked them, but when I last tried a piece on in the Burlington Arcade (as I was passing) I had a nagging feeling it was wearing smaller than my other 36mm watches.

So time to retreat and have a longer think. Then finally this weekend We had popped down to Cheltenham for one of our trips back to the wife's homeland and - at last - I saw the 2016 Explorer. I've been fascinated to try it since it got unveiled - all the issues were sorted out that I didn't like on the previous 39mm BUT I'd never taken to the pictures of it. Thought it looked a bit ham fisted compared to the classic dimensions. Tried it on and instantly knew that this was the watch for me, really bowled me over. Just felt and looked right. Comparison to the Tudor, showed a true difference in finishing, quality and better design rules. Also I should trust my gut that 39mm is the size I love. It's amazing how the steel that Rolex use makes such a difference to the look of a watch.

Means a bigger spend, more selling, more saving and a larger leap but it's gotta be worth it. Right?

This ramble just adding to the sentiment that the ideas and feelings what you like do evolve - and the fun is mulling it over and doing your research, hopefully leading to the perfect outcome.

Journeyman

Completely agree with the difference Rolex Steel makes to the current explorer. I always think there are sufficient similarities between the current explorer 1 and datejust 41 steel. I have the datejust and very happy with it but also like the explorer 1 as an understated indulgence.