closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My first SOTC

Wow. If someone had said 'gold Speedmaster' I'd have thought 'no way' but that's gorgeous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesianbriggs View Post

Wow. If someone had said 'gold Speedmaster' I'd have thought 'no way' but that's gorgeous.

The caseback's quite nice too:

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Very impressive...

I like the Pinion Axis II…. Never seen one before

Master
    Outstanding collection - I for one am very jealous

Craftsman
    As others have said, thanks for a great write up of a lovely collection. The post has really helped me ignore the weather on my boring train commute.
    Love the range of Speedmasters.

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk

Craftsman

My first SOTC

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Very impressive...

I like the Pinion Axis II…. Never seen one before
    Thanks. Small English micro brand started by a real enthusiast. Just launching a new model that's sub £1k, the Atom.

I enjoy my Axis

Last edited by tom waring; 16th May 2017 at 07:35.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ged View Post
    As others have said, thanks for a great write up of a lovely collection. The post has really helped me ignore the weather on my boring train commute.
    Love the range of Speedmasters.

Thanks. I'm suffering the indignity of an overpriced and over-full South West train at the moment too.....

Lovely collection and shows how a collection can change and evolve over 40 years! I don't 'collect' per say, but will be interesting to see the trends in my collection when I look back down the line.

I think you have to get the big ones while you can, things are only getting harder and more expensive. Though love that Gold Speedmaster, looks really nice, Omega do gold quite well.

Craftsman

My first SOTC

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Lovely collection and shows how a collection can change and evolve over 40 years! I don't 'collect' per say, but will be interesting to see the trends in my collection when I look back down the line.

I think you have to get the big ones while you can, things are only getting harder and more expensive. Though love that Gold Speedmaster, looks really nice, Omega do gold quite well.
    Thanks crazyp. Good advice - I am hunting down the 'big one's' while I can.

Funny about the 'evolution' aspect. I look back at some of these legacy pieces and chuckle - for e.g. back in its heyday a gold Rolex DJ was pretty cool and highly aspirational, but it soon became very naff and considered a bit Del Boy! It was consigned to the storage box and went unloved for about 20 years. So many years have passed and nowadays a gold Oyster with Jubilee bracelet is seen as a vintage piece by some and not recognized or not provoke the Del Boy connotations. It brings back lots of memories for me.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredamens View Post
    Outstanding collection - I for one am very jealous

Thanks Fred.

Now that's a proper SOTC - and great reading. Cheers!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    Now that's a proper SOTC - and great reading. Cheers!
    Thanks Ped!

Master
    Wow ! What a collection ! I think that I would take any of these, even the Swatch. Congrats Tom on putting together such a varied and interesting group of watches.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gc52 View Post
    Wow ! What a collection ! I think that I would take any of these, even the Swatch. Congrats Tom on putting together such a varied and interesting group of watches.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using TZ-UK mobile app
    Thanks for your kind words! The 'Jellyfish' brings back so many unmentionable memories!

Craftsman

My first SOTC

Update, in case anyone is interested. Since I posted my first SOTC last month:

I missed out on the Speedy Pro Apollo-Soyuz 35th Anniversary with Meteorite dial that I was negotiating on (well out-bid by another collector) so that continues to be on my list.

I did get the 3695.50.31 yellow gold standard Speedy Pro (on leather strap with 18k deployant clasp) that I was negotiating when I posted my SOTC. It's a bit of a safe queen but is lovely IMO:

I have found a sensibly priced Apollo 11 45th Anniversary LE Speedy which I have pulled the trigger on and will be getting very soon.

I dropped the chocolate Speedy off my list after I added this from the Davidoff's:

I dropped the new Sky Dweller off my wish list as it is just too big for me.

After 'the call' from 'my AD' I passed on the new SD43 as I felt it was too large too. I've decided my SD4kc is a long term keeper.

I am going to list some pieces featured in my SOTC on Sales Corner at some point in the next few weeks to raise funds for this which is incoming imminently:

Last edited by tom waring; 26th July 2017 at 17:36.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tom waring View Post
    Update, in case anyone is interested. Since I posted my first SOTC last month:

I missed out on the Speedy Pro Apollo-Soyuz 35th Anniversary with Meteorite dial that I was negotiating on (well out-bid by another collector) so that continues to be on my list.

I did get the 3695.50.31 yellow gold standard Speedy Pro (on leather strap with 18k deployant clasp) that I was negotiating when I posted my SOTC. It's a bit of a safe queen but is lovely IMO:

I have found a sensibly priced Apollo 11 45th Anniversary LE Speedy which I have pulled the trigger on and will be getting very soon.

I dropped the chocolate Speedy off my list after I added this from the Davidoff's:

I dropped the new Sky Dweller off my wish list as it is just too big for me.

After 'the call' from 'my AD' I passed on the new SD43 as I felt it was too large too. I've decided my SD4kc is a long term keeper.

I am going to list some pieces featured in my SOTC on Sales Corner at some point in the next few weeks to raise funds for this which is incoming imminently:

I saw the steel version of that at a recent Speedmaster evening at my AD. Really liked it. I bet the gold one will be something truly special when it lands.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ged View Post
    I saw the steel version of that at a recent Speedmaster evening at my AD. Really liked it. I bet the gold one will be something truly special when it lands.

I hope so too! Agree the steel one is lovely, though.

Tom your collection is fabulous and the SOTC was a great read. Threads like this make the forum worth visiting and I'm delighted you shared some of the personal history and thought processes behind the collection.

Just excellent...

Simon

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Tom your collection is fabulous and the SOTC was a great read. Threads like this make the forum worth visiting and I'm delighted you shared some of the personal history and thought processes behind the collection.

Just excellent...

Simon

Thanks so much, Simon! Most kind of you to say so.

Blog Entries
    But I'm getting on a bit now ...I was born on the same day the first man went into space (Yuri Gagarin, April 12th 1961)
    "Getting on a bit"????? At 56????? You're still a kid, especially compared to all the 80+ crumblies here.

Interesting collection and stories, thank you.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    "Getting on a bit"????? At 56????? You're still a kid, especially compared to all the 80+ crumblies here.

Interesting collection and stories, thank you.
    Thanks! It was more a tongue in cheek comment/joke for my wife - as she claims I am already doddery and past it!

Journeyman
    Great collection and a nice read!

Wonderful read Tom, it proves the forum is alive and well and populated by some interesting and diverse members. The back story to any SOTC is the single most interesting post on TZ-UK. Imho.

Blog Entries
    Great collection, thanks for showing us.
    Ian

Craftsman

This just landed.....

This gem (IMHO) landed at the weekend. It's going onto an x-33 titanium bracelet soon. This piece is visually interesting - the dial goes from chocalate brown through to taupe in different light. The markers/hands etc. are 18k Sedna gold and bezel is too, with a matt ceramic insert. The dial and subdials is laser engraved. It weighs almost nothing and is very comfy. Will post on incoming thread in a bit more detail. (Won't be of any interest to all the Speedy LE haters! Lol!).
    cheers,
    Tom

It came on this brown PVD coated Nato which has a leather lining and titanium buckle. Looks nice but I don't like Nato's so back in the box with all the other gubbins these things came with!

Last edited by tom waring; 31st July 2017 at 12:47.

Craftsman

My first SOTC

I sold the Cartier Roadster and added another Speedy......

Just put the Cosmonaute up on Sales Corner.

Last edited by tom waring; 28th August 2017 at 21:25.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by carryondentist View Post
    What do you think of the japan racing model? I was considering buying the parts to convert one myself.

- - - Updated - - -

What do you think of the japan racing model? I was considering buying the parts to convert one myself.
    It is a lovely piece and wears so well. The racing dial is super.

Craftsman
    Per below.
    Last edited by tom waring; 29th August 2017 at 10:12.

Craftsman
    It is a lovely piece and wears so well. The racing dial is super.
    @carryondentist: