closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Opening Citizen one-piece cases

Opening Citizen one-piece cases

I like the old Citizen titanium Promaster models. But the ones I like are ~15 years old, which means the capacitor/battery is usually finished. Citizen here either won't touch them at all or charge about the same as buying a new one to service them. I can buy the batteries but just can't open the case.

This is the sort of watch:

Does anyone know what tool is required to DIY (and, err, how to do it)?

Master
    Blog Entries

Re

Some word of advice from memory the releasing finger will be under the chapter ring, IF possible try and source a NOS as these CLEAR dials are glossy and very easily scratch.

Citizen UK use to be very good for parts MUCH better than Cousins!

Bry

P.S. if the dial does scratch I found VERY light beadblasting will remove the scratches and still keep the lume and dial markings intact.

Master
    A case knife or simular- take great care though usually theses bezels are very hard to shift

The stem release should look somthing like this

Thank you gentlemen for the tips and advice. It seems a bit daunting. I had hoped there was some (semi-circular, perhaps) tool I could purchase that would make it less of a battle. I'm pretty sure I'd end up scratching or denting the bezel using my case knife. Though compared to Lewie's engagement wounds, that would seem a small sacrifice. I think I'll just have to factor in Citizen's robbery prices for a battery change (~100 quid plus) on these when I consider the next one.

Aside: having given away one of these before as the costs to maintain were uneconomic, are these really Eco? I bet loads more of these end up in landfill (complete with internal battery) than any watch with a screw-down case back and easy battery access!

</moan>

Master
    Mine was on a bn0000 the one above may use a fifferent method to remove
    I did toy with buying one of these (eBay item 201207069953)
    Good luck

Master
    I'm sure I've seen a tool like a case knife but that holds the case and advances the knife on a screw thread.

However a quick google failed to find it.

Edit:

Aha, here they are: https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/be...p-case-openers
    Last edited by Jeremy67; 17th May 2017 at 14:34.

Thanks Jeremy. Not sure if they work on a one-piece case where the movement is loaded from the front, but they do look a bit safer than a case-knife