closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: We're to by the so called Watchco Seamaster 300

Banned

We're to by the so called Watchco Seamaster 300

I've had the urge for a while to try one of the Seamaster 300's were they are made up of new old stock parts, I think the model numbers are 165.024 for the non date and 166.024 for the date version.
    I think the main company who supplied these were Watchco, but a google search doesn't return any results.
    Any idea where I might find such a watch, or if anyone has one and wants to part with it please give me a shout.

Master
    Blog Entries
    WatchCo have always sold a lot through eBay - they actually had a few for sale on eBay recently, though due to the fact Omega are now restricting parts supply they are likely to become much less common.

More generally they come up for sale on eBay occasionally - a little more commonly on watch forums especially the Omega forum. A post in the WTB forum might help.

I'd probably not email them.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post

A post in the WTB forum might help.

Mmmm, I can't see the WTB section

I bought one last year on here and flipped it and in the same week another was listed. The price of these has risen considerably since Watchco stopped making them. Expect to pay close to £3k for a decent example on an OEM Omega SS bracelet.

You are better looking for the no date version as I understand that there were crown problems with the date version, when you pulled the crown out the date changed.

They are stunning watches and a huge reduction on a totally original 165:024. I bid on a totally original 1968 big triangle and that ending up selling for £12k, £15k after fees.

A WTB is a good shout, but most people who have one won't sell.

[QUOTE=rossi46vr;4346409]Mmmm, I can't see the WTB section

photo storagecertificity.com

You should be able to see the WTB section.
    eBay,email and a WTB are all good shouts.

Master
    I believe the seller here is actually Watchco.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3520348787...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    You are better looking for the no date version as I understand that there were crown problems with the date version, when you pulled the crown out the date changed.
    I built a two in 2015, sold them for around £1500 on a strap and £1700 on bracelet, and there was enough meat on the bone for me at those prices to make it worthwhile. Wish I`d bought a few more case kits whilst they were available!

As for the date model, I'll clarify the above comment. The 565 movement features the quickset date, operated by pulling the crown out. This doesn`t combine well with a screw-down crown, getting the stem length correct is crucial and it's very tricky to do. The crown has to be able to disengage from the threads to wind the watch. it then moves out one click to set the hands, then the next click moves the date forward. This can be a pain on a normal watch but it's a bigger pain on a screw-down crown. Having said that, I wouldn`t let it put me off a date model, although I prefer the symmetry of the non-date.

Of more concern to me is the mismatch in lume between the hands and dial on some examples. The first one I built was perfect but the hands on the second were too green so I ended up reluming them to match the dial.......not ideal but it had to be done. I`m also not a fan of the 1171 bracelet, the modern replacements are poor quality and getting a good fit to the case isn`t easy. There's a knack to getting the end pieces to fit snugly, it isn`t easy.

It's getting harder to source donor movements thesedays, I picked a few decent ones up in 2014 for around £90 each but those days are over.

A more important question is whether the watch is any good? They lack the solid robust 'feel' of a modern watch, and the replacement case/bezel never feels like a quality item to me. Couple that with the questionable standard of rebuild the movement's had (unless the watch was built by STS or someone very conscientious) and you can end up disappointed. At around £1500-£1700 I think they were OK, but at £2.5-£3K I don`t think I`d buy one, I`d be spending on something else. Having said that, it's each to his own, but I`d recommend anyone to handle one of these watches before buying, and definitely try to source it's parentage. People built and sold these to make profit, and every extra £££ spent on the movement overhaul is less profit. The two I built were done thoroughly, I worked out the cost in parts to do them right and sold at a price I was happy with....others aren`t so scrupulous.

Paul

^^^ Good, informative post, Paul!

Master
    Whilst I recognise Paul has vastly greater knowledge/experience than me, as a first time owner of one of these it feels more than robust enough by comparison to both old and new watches. They are still freely available as Ben has helpfully linked to and may not increase any further in price in the short term but they are really rather nice and uncommon, if you like that kind of thing ;).

Grand Master
    I think my lukewarm comments are based on (unfairly) comparing the watch to a modern SMP. Provided people don`t expect the feel of a modern quality watch they'll be fine with it.

The one for sale on ebay looks fine to me, good match of hands/dial lume and a good seller. Unfortunately the import tax (20%) will make this a 3 grand watch, and that feels steep to me.

I was tempted to build one for myself but I`m not such a fan of dive watches, I tend to prefer smaller watches.

Paul

The one I briefly had was superb, I bought it from Tom in NI and it was put together by a retired Omega watchmaker and the movement was pristine. It was a lovely watch and looked great on the wrist on a black leather strap, but I moved it on to fund other purchases.

Apart from the movements, they are effectively new watches as everything else was brand new genuine Omega parts, so you get the benefit of a vintage feel in a watch that looks brand new.

Banned
    This one has just popped up on ebay. The seller claims it was built by STS, could this be correct ? I'd appreciate the thoughts of someone more knowledgeable than me

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2323401301...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Banned
    RAJEN, this is what I see, no WTB section ???

Craftsman
    wow I had no idea this type of watch even existed.

are they built entirely from spares and doner parts?

Edit: donOr.
    Last edited by flareslove; 24th May 2017 at 15:05.

Quote Originally Posted by rossi46vr View Post
    This one has just popped up on ebay. The seller claims it was built by STS, could this be correct ? I'd appreciate the thoughts of someone more knowledgeable than me

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2323401301...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    Claims to be WatchCo not STS I think.

All comes down to what you are happy to pay. Not guarantees on when it will need a service, but easy enough to work on for a watchmaker.
    It's just a matter of time...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Claims to be WatchCo not STS I think.

All comes down to what you are happy to pay. Not guarantees on when it will need a service, but easy enough to work on for a watchmaker.

I asked the seller the question of who did the build and he responded saying STS.
    I think Watchco is just what they are known as, like a vacuum cleaner is a hoover !!!
    Last edited by rossi46vr; 24th May 2017 at 15:10.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by flareslove View Post
    are they built entirely from spares and doner parts?
    If they were they'd be available for a pittance....

Grand Master
    Movement looks exceptionally clean to me. Have to smile at the guy's advert where he decrys the 'so-called experts', ask him what the condition of the rotor bush and the reverser are like?.........see what his answer is and we'll see what he knows. As I`ve said many times, these movements are prone to giving problems in these areas, plus the mainspring barrel. All are expensive to replace thesedays. If the watch really hyas been built by STS it'll be fine, but can the seller confirm this?

If I had this watch in my hands I could say very quickly whether it was a good 'un or not, at the price he's asking it certainly needs to be! From what I can see the hands and dial indices are a good match, if they aren`t the watch never looks right.

I'll reiterate my previous comments, it's best to handle these watches to get a feel for them and decide whether you like it. Maybe a nice 2254.50 is a better option?..........I know that's like comparing a carrot to a potato but it answered the question for me when I owned one (very briefly) before I started to work on watches seriously and build them myself.

Paul

I asked the seller the question of who did the build and he responded saying STS.
    I think Watchco is just what they are known as, like a vacuum cleaner is a hoover !!!
    I've had a couple of these built by STS. If it was built by STS, you could always ask the seller to show you a copy of the invoice for the movement service. It should have the movement number on it that in turn should match the one inside the case. £3 large seems like quit a lot for one though. The last one I had STS do was about £1,700 all in ISTR, but that was a couple of years ago when you could still get parts easily and relatively cheaply.

As for how these feel on the wrist - the case itself is pretty good quality I'd say. Where they fall down is on the bezel side, where by modern standards they are more than a bit shonky.

The original style metal bracelets are also poor. I'm wearing one as I type this. It's on an isofrane, and that works quite well.

Hate to say it, but his asking price is the going rate. The last two on here were £2.7k.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    I'd probably not email them.

Hilarious!
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

RAJEN, this is what I see, no WTB section ???

Try scrolling right to the bottom of the page and click 'View Full Site' and see if that's any better.

I know all the so-called downsides of this watch, but after many years of owning and flipping watches I still own this one. I love the look and cannot find any weaknesses in the case-bezel or bracelet design. It feels like a quality piece with a lovely vintage touch. Just like it is supposed to be. I can understand that if stock dries up the value of these will rise. They are too much fun to own to prevent this from happening. To answer your question: I think ebay is still the best place to source a nice example.
    Last edited by Retep; 25th May 2017 at 21:03.

Master
    Gutted I sold my WatchCo SM300 at GBP1250 three years ago! Values seem to have doubled at least from that!

Where to buy, that is the question.