closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The most sentimental watch I own

Master

The most sentimental watch I own

This watch has links to my grandma who passed 6 months ago, but would have been 91 today. It's also through this watch in one way or another I've made several friendships. If there was only one watch to keep, it would be this. Matches my camera now as well :-)

What's yours?

This watch belonged to my late father. It was a long service award from 1967 and is engraved on the back. I sent it to Duncan who serviced it and worked his magic. Apparently there is a very decent movement inside. I asked Borel for some information about the watch but they were no use at all! This watch means a lot.

When my Grandad passed a few years ago my Nan asked me to pick one of his watches. He also loved watches and had a few, I chose this as I remembered him wearing it, I hate shiny watches so I had it beadblasted so I could wear it. Will always keep this one...

Last edited by joeytheghost; 9th May 2017 at 22:09.

Many years ago, I bought my Dad a Seiko 5 automatic watch. S/S white faced. He loved it and wore it always.
    He passed away on Valentines Day 2000.
    My Sister & Niece found him in bed at home. My niece hugged him till the undertakers came. She asked if she could have his watch. I said yes. She loved Granddad.
    So I many years later managed to pick up a Milgauss GV which was sold 14/2/2014. So this is my special watch.

Michael
    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Grandad's watch, restored and serviced by Paul on this forum.

On my wrist right now.

Omega Seamaster - 1965

Apprentice
    That Seamaster looks absolutely faaaabulous! Any very well photographed as well!

Blog Entries
    That will be my fathers' Air-King-Date. Covered in the "Review" section. Cost. £250.00
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 9th May 2017 at 21:32.

Craftsman
    My late grandfather's watch bought new in 1968 for. £17.

(although I do own a trench watch that's probably been in the family since 1911, the seiko above was my dream watch as a wee boy)

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Grandad's watch, restored and serviced by Paul on this forum.

On my wrist right now.

Omega Seamaster - 1965

Fantastic watch and resto job, I have a 1960 gold Omega coming soon that will hopefully be going to Paul for him to work his magic..

This Seiko 7000-8000 was given to me by my father-in-law after he'd worn it since he bought it new in the early 70s:

Untitled by David Douglas

My father's Speedmaster, which was my grandfather's since the 60s. The watch I admired throughout my childhood.

Master
    My 18th birthday present and my daily wearer for 6 years. +/- 12 seconds per year!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Fantastic watch and resto job, I have a 1960 gold Omega coming soon that will hopefully be going to Paul for him to work his magic..
    Great looking watch - I have a very similar watch my father gave me I want to get restored. Can I ask who did the restoration? Paul??

Many thanks

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    My mother's. Battered because she ran over it with a car. Left the scars when it was fixed.

This is my grandfather's Cyma Navystar, purchased by him in the early 1950s in Aden. He was a civilian pharmacist seconded to the Royal Navy and he spent much of his life travelling, establishing the family home first in Singapore and then in Malta, where my mother and her sister grew up.

He and my grandmother both lived well into their 90s and were blessed with being able to celebrate their 70th wedding anniversary together. He passed on in 2011, my grandmother two years later.

The strap doesn't fit particularly well, but it was on it when he gave it to me. The photograph was taken in Sarajevo, my favourite European city.

I have a couple, but here's the oldest. It was my Grandfathers watch. I'm sure many will recognise it as a BR long service watch by Smiths. Aside from it being of enormous sentimental value, an added bonus is that I really like it as a watch.

Grandma's Omega Dynamic, bought new using her first paycheck as a teacher for a princely sum of MYR 180 (£30).

Have been searching high and low for a 42mm Gent's equivalent. Most of the ones i've seen on eBay are redials. The search continues....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The most sentimental watch I own

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Great looking watch - I have a very similar watch my father gave me I want to get restored. Can I ask who did the restoration? Paul??

Many thanks
    Do a search for walkerwek1958 on here, that's Paul..
    Last edited by murkeywaters; 10th May 2017 at 06:53.

Master
    Some really amazing watches in this thread. Nice to see a lot of us have a watch that's really special

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post

Many thanks
    Paul Walker = walkerwek1958 on here

Craftsman

It's by no means the most expensive watch, and it doesn't even fit my wrist any more, however, this was my first ever watch. Dating back from around '82, makes me reminisce of the times spent with both my grand parents and parents learning the intricacies of how to read the dial.

Unfortunately it's in a bad need of a service and I lost the box & papers many moons ago, substantially impacting the monetary value.
    Last edited by mutanthands; 10th May 2017 at 10:28.

Funny how something like a watch can make you feel sentimental. I have my first ever watch bought in the early 60"s the make is Piki, not a watch I have ever heard of. I need to replace the glass but it stil runs well and I would never let it go.

My Dad's Hamilton...

Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    My Grandfather's Seiko 5,bought for him by my Grandmother for their 40th wedding anniversary in 1976.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Since observing me getting sucked into collecting, and after I bought him a couple of pieces to egg him on, my Dad has discovered a latent passion in watches too. He's started scouring charity shops and old jewellers and has built himself a nice little collection. He wore this Seiko for a while and then gave it to me. I think he wanted to see one of his pickups in my watch box. I treasure it. It badly needs a service though!

Very similar to other tales here... I must have always show an interest in wrist watches as my Granddad bought me this Sekonda when I was probably 5-ish, and taught me how to read it. As you can see, this was well worn and not a safe queen! But its a tiny special memory now.

When I first went to university I asked my mum for an old mechanical watch as my Christmas present. I forget what prompted that desire, but old and superceded rather than modern and useful was the norm in my family. I think I expected something from the sixties but instead got given this from the early twenties:

I wore it throughout my time as an undergraduate. Shortly afterwards, and for reasons also forgotten, I put it away, and it stayed safely wrapped up until a couple of years ago. It was working fine, but I had it serviced. This seemed to do it more harm than good, so I had it serviced by someone else, and it's now running very nicely. Better in fact than when I was first wearing it.

Since that was quite a while ago now, I don't have especially intense memories of wearing it, but when I put it on, I recognised the feel of it. My mum can't remember where she bought it or what she paid for it, but she's glad that it's being worn again.

Craftsman
    I have a 1971 Sea-Master which belonged to my granddad, he was given the watch by his employer when retiring.
    I still have the original boxes but no paperwork unfortunately, it gets worn occasionally but majority of the time its sat in its box.