closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Consumer advice with electric bike purchased online

Master

Consumer advice with electric bike purchased online

I'm in need for a bit of consumer advice regarding an online purchase of an electric bicycle which I purchased via VISA debit card online in April of last year.

I know a few of you are much better equipped in dealing with consumer issues and my patience has been exhausted with the company I purchased it from. I'll donate to the fundraiser for the help or I've got a G10 watch I was going to sell but I'll raffle if off to those that help and if it results in a positive outcome.

I purchased the bicycle on the 8th April 2016. Two days after the sale an email was received warning that some customers were incorrectly using this model of bicycle which was causing the motor to fail. Customers had apparently been incorrectly using the gears, and not pulling away and climbing hills in low gears. The emphasis of the email was not to pull away in a high gear and to select a low gear when coming to a halt or slowing down.

I cycled to work every now and again on the bicycle and by mid October 2016 I had clocked up just over 800 miles. On the 15th October I went over a pothole in the road, the chain slipped and the motor ceased to work.

I exchanged emails about the fault, which involved sending videos and providing evidence of the issue. The company is based to far to return the bike to and despite their website promising with any fault the bike would be collected, repaired and returned in three days they were reluctant to do so.

The problem was identified as the spindle of the motor was broken. The spindle wasn't much thicker than a regular drill bit so I could see how fragile it could be if the bike was misused and taken off road.

In early November the motor was removed and sent back to the company for repair. The motor was repaired and I was charged £29 as I was accused of misusing the bike and the failure was not covered by the warranty. I was told the repair would usually be far more but because I wasn't advised beforehand of any charge, this was more of a contribution.

10/03/17 The battery cut out on the way into work. I was unhappy and wanted the bike collected and repaired. This was refused. Despite the website saying if there was a fault that could not be corrected the bike would be collected, repaired and returned in three days.

24/03/17 I was told that the issue could be the battery and sent back as requested.

19/04/17 Was told the battery was functioning correctly.

29/04/17 After further tests, I was told there was no fault with the battery and it was being returned.

I replied with the following -

"Why would I want the battery returned if it doesn't work when fitted to my bicycle?* If you believe the battery isn't at fault then the problem must be with the bike.* The support page on your webpage says -

"And if an electrical fault can't be resolved, we will collect your bike, repair it and return it to you, all within 3 days"
    I need for you to arrange for the collection for the bicycle so the bike can be tested for yourselves with the battery and for the fault to be corrected"

The company said to try the battery and to go from there. However by now I'm losing patience with the bicycle. They said it was a relatively cheap bike and perhaps thats why I purchased it in the first place! The model is now discontinued so I wonder if I wasn't the only one that had issues with it....

05/05/17 - Battery returned, and it did function. I removed the cylinder of the motor and discovered the shaft of the motor had broken. Exactly the same fault that occurred on the 15/10/16. The accusation from the company will be that I've mistreated the bicycle and its my fault. The truth being I've dutifully cared for the bike, always dropped gear when going uphill and coming to a standstill and never de-restricted the bike.

Again their company website says - "And if an electrical fault can't be resolved, we will collect your bike, repair it and return it to you, all within 3 days"

I suspect they will say its a mechanical fault caused by myself. (which it wasn't)

They are a relatively small company with a generally good reputation. If I went public with my issues on social media I'm sure it would impact on their business far more than my potential £1,000 loss on the bike.

Where do I go from here? Exchange countless emails and return the motor with broken spindle again?! I will be expected to pay postage and for the cost of the repair which I'm not prepared to do.

Any help apart from posting poo through the shops mailbox is welcomed.

Have you googled the bike model to see if there are lots of similar complaints out there? That could help show it's not reliable.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    I wouldn't care about the impact on the company if you go public with who it was, they have obligations and need to follow them.
    Tell them you want a refund if they refuse speak to the Credit card company if you paid for it on one, otherwise I'd go down the small claims route.

Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post
    I wouldn't care about the impact on the company if you go public with who it was, they have obligations and need to follow them.
    Tell them you want a refund if they refuse speak to the Credit card company if you paid for it on one, otherwise I'd go down the small claims route.
    I think the problem with this approach is that the OP said they used a debit card

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    I think the problem with this approach is that the OP said they used a debit card...
    ... a year ago.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Sorry to say this but my gut feeling is the bike is a bit on the cheap-n-nasty side and not really up to anything more than the odd run down to the corner shop for a paper and some milk (assuming the road is level and no potholes). I know this isn't what you want to hear but I think you're going to get nowhere, a year later, trying to get any recompense from the supplier. Reading your post it seems there are several points where the supplier can wheedle out of any responsibility. I think the basic problem is the bike just isn't strong enough mechanically for serious use. Essentially, and I hate using this phrase, it's not fit-for-purpose. When I say that I mean it's not fit for the purpose that you're using it for.

I'm very willing for someone to say otherwise and it would be great if you could at least get part of your money back from the supplier but I'm not feeling positive for a favourable result :-(

As suggested it MIGHT be worth a punt on the small claims court and if the court is arranged near you and this is a long way from the supplier then they might just throw the towel in and give up fighting it. On the other hand they might convince the courts to hear the case at a location more convenient for them in which case it's you that has to do all the travelling :-(

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    Sorry to say this but my gut feeling is the bike is a bit on the cheap-n-nasty side and not really up to anything more than the odd run down to the corner shop for a paper and some milk (assuming the road is level and no potholes). (
    Yup,agree. Any e bike for under £2.5k ( rrp ) is gonna be garbage.

They are a relatively small company with a generally good reputation. If I went public with my issues on social media I'm sure it would impact on their business far more than my potential £1,000 loss on the bike
    Name & shame on here as well. Not sure how they have a good rep' if they don't even follow thier own guidelines. ( shurgs ) You could try a small claim, done on line, get some money back. Just depends on how much time you wanna spend chasing.

Master
    Might be worth going to your local bike shop and get there view on it being fit for purpose and see if you can pay them for a report on this, I expect you'd get a better result with the small claims court armed with such.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Might be worth going to your local bike shop and get there view on it being fit for purpose and see if you can pay them for a report on this, I expect you'd get a better result with the small claims court armed with such.
    The often bandied expression 'fit for purpose' is often seen by the end user as some form of golden sword which they can fling around their heads and immediately win their case. Not true I'm afraid. All I can say is good luck but this might be a case of good money after bad. Sorry.

basically you went over a pothole and broke the bike, however if you do not believe the bike is fit for purpose sue them.

If the company think you mean business they will resolve your issues or refund you, the bike doesn't seem to be very good.

That's it. There's no law that says that products have to be good. This one isn't.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    That's it. There's no law that says that products have to be good. This one isn't.
    I think it's an expensive lesson learnt. It seems unless you are prepared to spend thousands on a decent electric bicycle you risk of buying something thats not up to the job.

I'll get the bicycle repaired and sell it at a cheap price just so I can recoup some costs.

Master
    Hi Andy, can you clear your inbox please, cheers.