timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bone Marrow Donations

Threaded View

Master

Bone Marrow Donations - Sad Update

A few months ago i made this post:

Terrible Year with a very happy ending

Unfortunately the tale had a final twist and my son has had a relapse. He is now being treated for 2 types of cancer, both are different leukemias and there is also some in his brain. to say we are gutted is a massive understatement but to watch him cope is a thing of wonder.

His chances are slim and we are looking to the staff here at Great Ormond Street Childrens Hospital to help us make our decisions. Fortunately, the Drs here are determined to carry out treatment at the moment so he is undergoing a bespoke and intensive chemotherapy treatment pathway. we will find out in a month if it is working properly and if he is well enough for a bone marrow transplant. It is surreal to have to consider the options according to certain scenarios but we will be guided by a single principle: Dignity.

Luckily, as a white british male, he has the best chances of finding a donor and at the moment there is a 9/10 match on a register. This means that of the 10 markers used to assess someones suitability for a donation, there is a donor somewhere who matches 9. this is good enough to use but not as ideal as a 10/10 match so the search continues.

That brings me to the real point of the post. If any of you have the time it would be amazing if you could consider registration with either DKMS or the Anthony Nolan Trust to find out if you might be a suitable donor for one of the thousands of people worldwide who need a miracle.
    Last edited by poppy; 10th August 2017 at 10:34.