closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: my SOTC

Craftsman

my SOTC

Dear all,

After some time I managed to build a humble collection with a few decent pieces (in my opinion at least) and I would love to share it with you.

and a few questions, is 5 a golden number? I am thinking the next piece, most likely for the late 2017-early 2018, would be a JLC master geographic, if so which which piece would you ditch?? or 6 is the platinum number and we must ignore the golden one?

P.S. The only piece that is indispensable is the Longines.

All opinions are welcome and highly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Evangelos
    Last edited by Evangelos; 7th May 2017 at 15:27.

Master
    Hello. Very nice collection. I think 4 or 5 is more than enough for a small well worn collection, so I would move one on if you want to bring another in.

I think the Rolex and the IWC give a fair amount of overlap, so I would consider moving one of those on.

Blog Entries
    That collection is as nice as the photo is bad

An awful lot to like... The JLC and (dare I say it) the Rolex really stand out... good work

That is a really nice collection. Personally I`d be chopping the Rolex in favour for your intended JLC

Master
    Might be the first collection I having seen for a long time without a dive watch included. Some great pieces though. If you wanted a swop, I would ship out the Rolex as I prefer the similar IWC.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Meant to add. Like you, I really like the Longines. I gather from another thread that you have an attachment. I think it is also a great looking dress watch.

Master
    Nice variety in your collection. I would get a modern Rolex sports watch, 6 digit explorer 2 in black, hulk or batman and sell the longines and jlc. I like the iwc and oysterquartz subcollection and the speedie. The jlc master can fulfil the dress watch requirement. 5 is a good number if each watch is worn and truly loved. I'm at 4 and feel that I need one or two might be enough..maybe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Shift the IWC. The rest are

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Really lovely collection. I'd shift the Rolex for a modern SS Rolex.

Quite torn between a Reverso and a master geopgrahic at the moment.
    Last edited by RajLondon; 7th May 2017 at 18:45.

Craftsman
    thank you guys,

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    That collection is as nice as the photo is bad

An awful lot to like... The JLC and (dare I say it) the Rolex really stand out... good work
    sorry about the image quality, I set resolution to 1200x900 and obviously was not good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by gc52 View Post
    Might be the first collection I having seen for a long time without a dive watch included. Some great pieces though. If you wanted a swop, I would ship out the Rolex as I prefer the similar IWC.

the diver is missing indeed, I am not a big fan, I find them big and chunky, exceptions are (to my eyes at least) the Breguet marine and the Blancpain 50 fathoms however I reckon I ll probably buy one of those at my 40s if everything will go according to plan.

as a general idea it seems that the IWC and the Oysterquartz are those that have the smallest fan club in here, at the moment they re those that I wear the most as they are more everyday watches compared to the other three; however as Berty234 said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post
    I think the Rolex and the IWC give a fair amount of overlap, so I would consider moving one of those on.
    they are overlapping and it would be probably one of those that would have to change hands within the year.
    Last edited by Evangelos; 7th May 2017 at 22:18.

Refreshing to see a collection that does not require a diver.

I would resist the urge to swap to a "modern" Rolex; yours is in fact Modern in the lovely and unrepeatable oysterquartz vibe, and it would be a shame to lose it for something that is simply au courant.

Only you know whether 5 or 6 is right for you. If you do need to swap out one of these, I would lose either the speedy or the reverso. They are just both such staples of received wisdom as solid watches that to see two together somewhat suggests box-checking in a collection rather than genuine personal taste, to my mind at least. A bit more risk, flair, dash, aplomb, abandon... call it what you will, but it would be lovely to see more waywardness here, as explemified by that smashing Longines :)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Refreshing to see a collection that does not require a diver.

I would resist the urge to swap to a "modern" Rolex; yours is in fact Modern in the lovely and unrepeatable oysterquartz vibe, and it would be a shame to lose it for something that is simply au courant.

Only you know whether 5 or 6 is right for you. If you do need to swap out one of these, I would lose either the speedy or the reverso. They are just both such staples of received wisdom as solid watches that to see two together somewhat suggests box-checking in a collection rather than genuine personal taste, to my mind at least. A bit more risk, flair, dash, aplomb, abandon... call it what you will, but it would be lovely to see more waywardness here, as explemified by that smashing Longines :)

I have to agree with you, 'modern' Rolexes (subs, SD, GMTs) is not my cup of tea, maybe the sky-dweller is a nice one, although I am not so sure if that would be a nice complement to my small wrist.
    I have to admit that I bought the Speedmaster as a box-ticking watch because it was my 1st decent and I wanted to be on the safe side, after a while I liked it though! The Reverso is nice, I like its style and it suits me very well as I commonly wear blazers and tailored trousers.
    I am glad you like the Longines, it is the watch that receives the less compliments but shape-wise I dare to say it is a unique tonneau watch.
    The six watches is still a plausible scenario if my left and right brain hemispheres will keep on arguing between the maximum acceptable collection size.

PS you have a nice English vocabulary, I rarely see similar terms in forums

Evangelos

I'll be the contrarian and suggest you let the Speedy go in favour of the Geographic. It seems you prefer dressier pieces and the Speedy fits that bill the least in this group. In fact the Speedy looks out of place here.

Another way would be to record what you wear each day in a log and the one that gets worn the least after 6 months has got to be the one to say bye bye too.

Journeyman

my SOTC

Nice collection you've got going there. I'd ditch the oysterquartz and get the JLC.

Nice collection sir! I was gonna suggest disposing of the IWC to get a dive watch to add some versatility and forget about the JLC geo. but then I googled it and ...... wow - it's beautiful def get it!
    How about also switching ur existing Rolex for a no date sub?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Good haul there especially the integrated bracelets - nice to see the Oysterquartz together with the Ingenieur. It turns out they do share a common ancestor in a sense (the Rolex Texan), and you can really see that when they're side by side.

Master
    If chunky divers aren't your thing, and you have budget for a JLC, I think in your position I would get rid of the Rolex you have and bring in a Rolex GMT II master pepsi (not the ultra modern ones, maybe a 10-15 year old one) - take another look at those in person. It would add colour, offer something different, and keep a Rolex in the collection. I'd stick with the Reverso for the JLC spot.

Edit: saw your post below afterwards - I'd still reconsider and check them out ;)
    Last edited by Berty234; 8th May 2017 at 19:44.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by fordy964 View Post
    I'll be the contrarian and suggest you let the Speedy go in favour of the Geographic. It seems you prefer dressier pieces and the Speedy fits that bill the least in this group. In fact the Speedy looks out of place here.

Another way would be to record what you wear each day in a log and the one that gets worn the least after 6 months has got to be the one to say bye bye too.
    Dear fordy964, I think the log has plenty oysterquartz in it as I often wear that at work, I like the speedie because is black and is a chrono, if ditch that then I d probably start searching for a black dial watch, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Ribena36 View Post
    Nice collection sir! I was gonna suggest disposing of the IWC to get a dive watch to add some versatility and forget about the JLC geo. but then I googled it and ...... wow - it's beautiful def get it!
    How about also switching ur existing Rolex for a no date sub?

Dear Ribena36, the rolex submariner is admittedly a beautiful watch indeed and the no-date definitely gives some credits, but is a diver.. I hope one day to manage buy a Breguet marine for the diving watch, although I don't dive myself, I prefer to chill out at cool hotels when am having my vacations.

Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post
    If chunky divers aren't your thing, and you have budget for a JLC, I think in your position I would get rid of the Rolex you have and bring in a Rolex GMT II master pepsi (not the ultra modern ones, maybe a 10-15 year old one) - take another look at those in person. It would add colour, offer something different, and keep a Rolex in the collection. I'd stick with the Reverso for the JLC spot.

Edit: saw your post below afterwards - I'd still reconsider and check them out ;)
    Dear Berty, I kind of like the GMT coke, but still, I think I wouldn't pay for that, could only obtain it if my wife will give it to me as gift hehe (very very
    very unlikely)

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Good haul there especially the integrated bracelets - nice to see the Oysterquartz together with the Ingenieur. It turns out they do share a common ancestor in a sense (the Rolex Texan), and you can really see that when they're side by side.
    Dear Itsguy, the rolex texano.. yes! it is one of my dream watches, never seen it in person but at the pictures it looks classy! and yes, the integrated bracelets is something that I really like, pity the royal oak has such expensive services otherwse I would have probably struggle to purchase it!

Are you guys nuts!? The OQ would be the last one I'd get rid of among those choices.

Craftsman
    hahhh at the moment I am seriously thinking to set the golden number as 6, but I really doubt this would end up in 6 and in a year's time (or whenever) I would probably post a new thread asking if the golden number is 6 or 7.. proper vicious circle.

Personally I think anyone chopping in an OQ would regret it. They're not exactly becoming less desirable and the design is just lovely in person.

Personally I'd get rid of the speedmaster as, unless it's sentimental to you or a special reference, you'll always be able to get a new one.

I'm not a fan of the Reverso or the Longines but appreciate that the Longines has to stay and you obviously like the Reverso or it wouldn't be there.

On that basis, it would be the IWC that got the chop as it's too similar to the OQ for them both to be in a small collection and I think the OQ should stay.

Journeyman
    I would get rid of the IWC if one had to go. Just because from a personal point of view I'm not a big fan of it and prefer other Genta designs like the OQ (I have a 17014).

Master
    Quite a few opinions here that two watches that have strong design similarities in a collection leads to overlap and one needs to be let go, e.g. I think the iwc and oq can make a collection more interesting rather than less, can be fun playing spot the difference and makes an interesting discussion point.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    That is a really nice collection. Personally I`d be chopping the Rolex in favour for your intended JLC
    This^^

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Spidermonkey View Post
    I would get rid of the IWC if one had to go. Just because from a personal point of view I'm not a big fan of it and prefer other Genta designs like the OQ (I have a 17014).
    Dear Spidermonkey, I love the 17014!! any photos please? in general I love the OQs amongst all rolexes, their design and their movement is unique, although many people find them weird. From my point of view (it might sound like a blasphemy) it is the most successful rolex since their movement is highly ranked among other quartz mechanisms, with regards their automatic caliber it is reliable and robust but am pretty convinced there are several more robust options. Design-wise, I would also love to obtain the 1630 and the 1530 although their price is relatively high nowadays and I reckon I should have purchased them 5-6 years ago.. back then I had no idea about watches though ..

Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    Quite a few opinions here that two watches that have strong design similarities in a collection leads to overlap and one needs to be let go, e.g. I think the iwc and oq can make a collection more interesting rather than less, can be fun playing spot the difference and makes an interesting discussion point.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    Dear ac11111, I agree that a collection with Genta designs or integrated bracelet watches would have been pretty cool indeed, I prefer this style more than the common changeable bracelet watches unless it is a dress watch, there my taste becomes more conservative and I prefer to play with the shapes (see reverso and longines).

Well the Longines is a given you say, the Speedy must stay for it's black dial and the Rolex for it's movement. So it looks like you have narrowed it down to either the Reverso or the IWC to make room for the Geographic :-)

Got to be the IWC then!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by fordy964 View Post
    Well the Longines is a given you say, the Speedy must stay for it's black dial and the Rolex for it's movement. So it looks like you have narrowed it down to either the Reverso or the IWC to make room for the Geographic :-)

Got to be the IWC then!
    it looks like I have narrowed it indeed.. and if I won't make them 6 in the end, I reckon it would be the IWC after all.

6 is a good number

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    6 is a good number

6 it is! I go for the 6, is official :)

Craftsman
    I had a spare 20 GBP and I couldn't help it..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMoR_0JLVqo&t=6s

Craftsman

my SOTC

^^^^^^ Best £20 you've ever spent! PP is barking and I would pay £20 just to have him say "Man on the F'ing Moooooon" with the camera lunge and swivel eyes loony delivery! Nice collection, thanks for sharing.

Last edited by tom waring; 22nd July 2017 at 17:53.

Love Archie.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Evangelos View Post
    thank you guys,

sorry about the image quality, I set resolution to 1200x900 and obviously was not good enough.

the diver is missing indeed, I am not a big fan, I find them big and chunky, exceptions are (to my eyes at least) the Breguet marine and the Blancpain 50 fathoms however I reckon I ll probably buy one of those at my 40s if everything will go according to plan.

as a general idea it seems that the IWC and the Oysterquartz are those that have the smallest fan club in here, at the moment they re those that I wear the most as they are more everyday watches compared to the other three; however as Berty234 said:

they are overlapping and it would be probably one of those that would have to change hands within the year.