timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shocking Breitling Service!!!

Apprentice

Shocking Breitling Service!!!

Good Afternoon All.

Sorry to keep going on about it!!

Long story short, my Breitling Colt quartz went in for a full service. I took it to my local AD to be sent off on the 11/03/17 and I had the call on Friday to say it was ready. I went in today to collect the watch and on closer inspection of the watch the second hand was not lining up with the dial, it was out by a few mm NOT a happy bunny at all. The AD agreed it was not right and had to be sent back to breitling. The one thing that worried me a bit was when he said "maybe they need to change the hand set". I thought part of a full service was to change the hand set according to breitlings website? I did ask for full documentation for the service which they did not have so all I have got is a stamp in the service book which does not mean a thing in my eyes. Where do I stand in getting full documentation of the service and how much fuss should I kick up? Does anyone know an email address for BUK so I can contact them.

Many thanks

Rob

If they had changed the hands wouldn't you get the old ones back in a little bag?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    If they had changed the hands wouldn't you get the old ones back in a little bag?
    I'm not sure! All I got back was the watch in a little case no service documentation at all. I have seen youtube videos where people have got there watches back and Breitling have sent them a full list of things that has been done to the watch I got nothing.

My last Omega service I only got a receipt not an itemised breakdown of work done, but I did get the various bits they had replaced too.

I haven't used Breitling for a few years now, but when I had my mid-90s Chronospace serviced in 2012 I dropped it off at Breitling (not at an AD) in Regents' Street, a week or so later I received a detailed (2 -3 page) list of the work to be done (I asked for a complete overhaul service btw), broken down into 'necessary' and 'optional' work (quotes from the actual document, which I managed to locate on my computer).

'Necessary' work:

"Complete overhaul 183.33
    The complete overhaul includes: dismantling, cleaning and checking all components, replacement of worn movement parts, assembly, oiling, various adjustments. Change of battery for quartz models. Best possible refurbishing
    of the case and metal bracelet (if applicable), replacement of all gaskets and water resistance test.

Exchange of dial - existing is marked and the tritium has darkened
    (this added extra cost)

Exchange of hands - included within the overhaul"

and 'optional' work:

"Exchange of crystal - existing antiglare coating is scratched, worn and water-damaged"

The document then asks if I wish to proceed, which I did, and there end result was excellent.

Maybe things happen very differently through a Breitling AD, but my experience is I hope of help/interest. (I really can't remember if I got the old parts back, but I have no recollection of having a loose dial, so I suspect not).

Blog Entries
    I've never had lose parts back from Breitling. Also - not has a full service listing of work done, apart from a pre-printed list from Breitling. Only brand I have had that (both) with is Omega.

Martyn.

Master
    Still waiting to hear what the 'shocking' behaviour was.....they serviced the watch and returned it. If you aren't happy, take it up with Breitling before publicly denouncing them .

Reading this makes me realise, I have never sent my Service book when any of my watches have been away Perhaps this is why I have always received paper work? When I have sold watches, I always include this paperwork as proof of service.
    Next time I must remember the book!
    Not expecting my Blackbird back from BUK for 4 weeks yet.

Master
    Breitling don't return used parts.

Alas the number of serviced watches that need to go back to BUK for rectification seems to be growing all the time. They used to be great but I'm nervous of sending them anything now.

Apprentice
    thank you all for your comments!

I wonder if there is something wrong with the movement? or has the dial not been installed correctly for the two mintues i saw it to day looking at it the bezel did seem to line up.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by mantaray View Post
    I haven't used Breitling for a few years now, but when I had my mid-90s Chronospace serviced in 2012 I dropped it off at Breitling (not at an AD) in Regents' Street, a week or so later I received a detailed (2 -3 page) list of the work to be done (I asked for a complete overhaul service btw), broken down into 'necessary' and 'optional' work (quotes from the actual document, which I managed to locate on my computer).

'Necessary' work:

"Complete overhaul 183.33
    The complete overhaul includes: dismantling, cleaning and checking all components, replacement of worn movement parts, assembly, oiling, various adjustments. Change of battery for quartz models. Best possible refurbishing
    of the case and metal bracelet (if applicable), replacement of all gaskets and water resistance test.

Exchange of dial - existing is marked and the tritium has darkened
    (this added extra cost)

Exchange of hands - included within the overhaul"

and 'optional' work:

"Exchange of crystal - existing antiglare coating is scratched, worn and water-damaged"

The document then asks if I wish to proceed, which I did, and there end result was excellent.

Maybe things happen very differently through a Breitling AD, but my experience is I hope of help/interest. (I really can't remember if I got the old parts back, but I have no recollection of having a loose dial, so I suspect not).
    Thank you for your comments!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    Reading this makes me realise, I have never sent my Service book when any of my watches have been away Perhaps this is why I have always received paper work? When I have sold watches, I always include this paperwork as proof of service.
    Next time I must remember the book!
    Not expecting my Blackbird back from BUK for 4 weeks yet.
    Thank you for your comments!

I've mentioned this before - It took me a special effort on each of the two occasions I had significant work done on my Aerospace to elicit a proper schedule of works from Breitling.

On each occasion - I told them that it should be part of their quality assurance process, but it appears to fall on deaf ears. Ultimately - they did produce, on headed paper - a clear, bulleted list of all works carried out.

They charge a premium price, but do not, in my opinion - deliver a premium service.

Demand a headed list of all works carried out (even if PDF attached to e-mail).

Fit a new movement to my watch at a cost of £800? I want a certificate STATING you have installed that movement!

Here's what I got finally:

Al
    Last edited by blackal; 7th May 2017 at 08:37.

Master
    I've always dealt with BUK directly, why would I trust an AD to do anything right on my behalf?

I've had great communication with them and they've always returned my watch with a receipt stating what they've done to it.

It might be a bit late, but why not take back your watch and deal directly with BUK?

Technically speaking, they are dealing with the AD at the moment, so it's a business to business arrangement. The AD is therefore responsible for any paperwork and customer interfacing?

I know it goes against the grain, but with my last watch that went to BUK (presently still there) going through an AD definitely worked to my favour.
    They negotiated directly with BUK, and not only asked for something that I wouldn't have dreamt of asking for, but actually got it. News that I was genuinely delighted with.
    So, perhaps only occasionally, going via an AD can be beneficial.

Apprentice
    Good Morning All.

Thank you for all your comments. After thinking about over night who am I under contract with the AD or Buk? at the moment the AD has the watch and they said they will sent it back Monday. am I better to collect my watch and send it off to Buk myself with a strong worded letter asking where there quality control went on my watch and that i am very disappointed or just leave well alone with the AD.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I've mentioned this before - It took me a special effort on each of the two occasions I had significant work done on my Aerospace to elicit a proper schedule of works from Breitling.

On each occasion - I told them that it should be part of their quality assurance process, but it appears to fall on deaf ears. Ultimately - they did produce, on headed paper - a clear, bulleted list of all works carried out.

They charge a premium price, but do not, in my opinion - deliver a premium service.

Demand a headed list of all works carried out (even if PDF attached to e-mail).

Fit a new movement to my watch at a cost of £800? I want a certificate STATING you have installed that movement!

Here's what I got finally:

Al
    Thank you for digging this up its a very interesting read.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    You're contract is with the AD. It may be frustrating but stick with the AD. You can still enclose a letter with your watch addressed to Breitling.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    I thought my contract would be with Buk? as I understand it the AD is the third party? Buk are carrying out the work not the AD.

Apprentice
    I guess I will just have to suck it and see!

Apprentice
    Last question does anyone know of an email adress for Buk

Quote Originally Posted by Rob333 View Post
    Last question does anyone know of an email adress for Buk
    A quick google gave me this

enquiries@breitling-uk.com

I knew the chap in charge of the Breitling service in Tunbridge Wells but he is now with Blancpain.

I visited him there a couple of times and I can guarantee I was well impressed with the quality of the work undertaken, on recent and even on some vintage (I remember a TopTime that was completely mint just before it was sent back; of course I had not seen how it arrived but A. seemed to say it was average then.

Apprentice
    I've just tried to email them and the email address bounced straight back from there web site.

- - - Updated - - -

I've just tried to email them and the email address bounced straight back from there web site.

Master
    Try this one;

customerservices@breitling-uk.com

Personally, as you've started with the AD route, I would stick with them and put some pressure on them to sort it all out.

Your contract, such as it is, is with the AD at this point.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Try this one;

customerservices@breitling-uk.com

Personally, as you've started with the AD route, I would stick with them and put some pressure on them to sort it all out.

Your contract, such as it is, is with the AD at this point.
    Thank you for the email address that one is live.

Apprentice

Breitling Uk

Good Evening All.

Just a quick update I have been in contact with Buk and the have been fantastic the watch will be back with them in the morning. The hand set should have been exchanged with a full service which they will look into. Also they have given full documentation of work that has been carried out its just a shame the AD has not passed it on to me. hopefully when they change the hand set the second hand should hit the markers?

Rob

Good Evening All.

Just a quick update I have been in contact with Buk and the have been fantastic the watch will be back with them in the morning. The hand set should have been exchanged with a full service which they will look into. Also they have given full documentation of work that has been carried out its just a shame the AD has not passed it on to me. hopefully when they change the hand set the second hand should hit the markers?

Rob
    Will you now be changing the thread title?

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Will you now be changing the thread title?
    Wouldn't be as much fun:-)

Grand Master
    If it's not a silly question to ask, why did the OP send a quartz watch for 'full service'?

I`m firmly of the opinion that there's little point in doing much to a quartz movement until it stops. Get a new battery in (a good one, no cheap crap) and keep using it. If the battery life becomes short (less than 12 months) that's a sign that the movement needs cleaning and oiling, but they usually run for 10-15 years without problems. Totally different philosophy to mechanical watches.

As for pressure testing and seals etc, it's very rare that I see modern O-rings deteriorate to any significant extent. Crown seals will wear, but a quartz watch doesn`t get the crown turned much so this is minimal. When the caseback's removed the seal can be inspected and it's not hard to ensure it goes back properly.

I can`t help thinking the manufacturers rip people off with servicing quartz watches. Unless the watch needs cosmetic refinishing I wouldn`t bother, I`d simply get batteries fitted till it starts telling you it needs attention.

The biggest problem with Breitlings is finding someone to swap a battery who's got the correct caseback openers!

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    The biggest problem with Breitlings is finding someone to swap a battery who's got the correct caseback openers!
    - which is where they've got you. I sent my Aerospace to BUK for a maintenance service - ie the cheap one with battery change and seal check - and they said that since it was 7 years old (I bought it NOS) and had never been serviced it "had to" have a full overhaul service. £400 or whatever ...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    - which is where they've got you. I sent my Aerospace to BUK for a maintenance service - ie the cheap one with battery change and seal check - and they said that since it was 7 years old (I bought it NOS) and had never been serviced it "had to" have a full overhaul service. £400 or whatever ...
    Now £475 in their latest list of "interventions"

Apprentice
    Update.

I have had an email from Buk to day.

They said that they were shock that the hand set did not get changed in a full service and they will look into it the watch is back with them now. A copy of the invoice explaining all work that has been carried out did get sent with the watch but the AD has not passed it on to me.

Rob

Apprentice
    I am very confused!

I had an email from Buk today confirming my watch has been into diagnostic and that the second hand is slightly out of tolerance and they will fit a new hand set under warranty not sure why the did not pick this up the first time round when it had a full service a week ago. My question is will fitting a new hand set make the second hand and dial finally line up???

Many thanks

Rob

I'm not convinced that their QA is robust. They charge like a wounded buffalo, but frankly - appear to have a casual approach to quality.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I'm not convinced that their QA is robust. They charge like a wounded buffalo, but frankly - appear to have a casual approach to quality.
    Thank you for your comments.

The one question i did ask as per there web site as part of a full service was "exchange of hands" which they seemed to have not done on my watch and i am still wanting for an answer. When the watch went in to service the second hand and the dial did line up 100% I'm just wondering if they have damaged the movement when in service? hence the non lining up of the hands?

Rob

Blog Entries
    Thank you for your comments.

The one question i did ask as per there web site as part of a full service was "exchange of hands" which they seemed to have not done on my watch and i am still wanting for an answer. When the watch went in to service the second hand and the dial did line up 100% I'm just wondering if they have damaged the movement when in service? hence the non lining up of the hands?

Rob
    Not quite sure how forum members can help with that question. You need to escalate up the BUK management chain.

Join DateMar 2017LocationUkPosts30

I am very confused!

I had an email from Buk today confirming my watch has been into diagnostic and that the second hand is slightly out of tolerance and they will fit a new hand set under warranty not sure why the did not pick this up the first time round when it had a full service a week ago. My question is will fitting a new hand set make the second hand and dial finally line up???

Am I stupid, but how does the second hand, on what I assume is a 3 hand watch, not line up?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorj View Post
    Am I stupid, but how does the second hand, on what I assume is a 3 hand watch, not line up?
    It's a quartz. I think we are referring to the very common 'not hitting the markers' problem that cheap brands like Seiko and Citizen have mastered, but not Breitling and Omega!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorj View Post
    With the markers

Quartz second hands seem to drift in and out of alignment, and weirdly the more expensive the watch the more this seems to happen. I have no idea how changing the hands will alter this. Personally I'd just live with it and replace the battery myself. I really don't understand expensive quartz Breitlings tbh. I have a g shock which is solar atomic and every hour will automatically check the hands for alignment and reset them if they've been knocked out of place. It cost me £100 in an amazon sale and I don't imagine ever replacing the capacitor. Ok it's a plastic cased watch but technically the movement is way more advanced than the archaic Swiss equivalent?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So not really so shocking, just a little disappointing.

Master
    It sounds like poor service from the AD as well, to be fair.

As for it changing the handset as part of the full service, that sounds poor too. Are you sure the AD communicated your requirements accurately in the first place?

I stopped using ADs for service handling a few years ago when I dropped my montbrillant in with a dealer for service.

To cut a long story short, it arrived back with me over polished and still with a timing problem. When complaining to the AD and threatening to escalate it to BUK after they were less than helpful, they admitted they had sent it to an 'independent' workshop.

Not typical behaviour of ADs I'm sure, but has made me cautious ever since.

Apprentice
    Please help
    Good afternoon All.

I can not get a straight answer from Buk I have asked them if replacing the hand set which they should have done in the service will make sure the second hand and the markers will line up. The watch was fine before it had a service could the movment been damaged when they have serviced the watch.

Many thanks

Rob

Please help
    Good afternoon All.

I can not get a straight answer from Buk I have asked them if replacing the hand set which they should have done in the service will make sure the second hand and the markers will line up. The watch was fine before it had a service could the movment been damaged when they have serviced the watch.

Many thanks

Rob
    Why don't you wait until you have the watch back to find out?

New hands probably won't make a difference. Any hands can be adjusted to hit the markers, but to get them to hit the markers dead-on every time is a fiddly job that many don't bother doing for the sake of a micro-mm here and there. Very few quartz second hands hit the markers all the way round due to drift and backlash of the hand, but some are better at it than others.

Please help
    Good afternoon All.

Many thanks

Rob
    Christ you really are tiresome,
    Get rid, buy a Casio problem sorted.

Journeyman
    Please help
    Good afternoon All.

Many thanks

Rob
    Can't think of any reason why changing the hands would make them line up.
    I would expect however for everything to line up properly when receiving a watch back from service, just keep pushing them

Apprentice
    Thank you for all your comments.

Every one is right I will just have to wait and see. Time to calm down!!!

Thanks

Rob

Master
    Apologies but I can't see what's "shocking"? If it had come back scratched or something along those lines then fine, but the seconds hand not lining up is quite common.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    Apologies but I can't see what's "shocking"? If it had come back scratched or something along those lines then fine, but the seconds hand not lining up is quite common.
    It's common but should it be? I have a clutch of sub £300 quartz that manage to hit markers perfectly but not my Omega. I think it's reasonable to expect the higher end to achieve what cheaper brands manage. Maybe not shocking but disappointing and rather poor.

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    I thought the original complaint was, that some work had been omitted, due to lack of quality control?

That shouldn't be 'common'

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    It's common but should it be? I have a clutch of sub £300 quartz that manage to hit markers perfectly but not my Omega. I think it's reasonable to expect the higher end to achieve what cheaper brands manage. Maybe not shocking but disappointing and rather poor.

Hardly shocking but we all have different standards I guess