closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Manual wind watches, whats's out there

Master

Manual wind watches, whats's out there

Having declared my collection complete some time ago,...I'm now looking for the next one...
    I'm in no rush to buy and for once I have decided to come up with a game plan and to save up for a specific watch rather than going for an impulsive purchase...(note to self, stay away from SC...)

I have decided my next watch will be a manual wind,

I've had a couple in the past, a Panerai 000 and a Ticino big pilot

I must admit my knowledge of manual wind watches is limited, which is why I have posted 'What's out there?'

Ryanb's offer of the speedy pro has me tempted, I appreciate its a cracking watch (and price) but in all honesty I'm not a fan of Chrono's I don't have a use and I prefer a simple dial
    So I'm looking at Panerai again and the base model PAM 01000, I think my mind is made up but....

any suggestions for alternative watches I should also consider?
    • Manual Wind
    • Not a Chrono
    • No cyclops
    • Ideally 40 - 44mm
    • not a square or rectangular case/dial

cheers
    Ian
    Last edited by Tuna1138; 6th May 2017 at 01:44. Reason: updated specifications

Craftsman
    JLC reverso grand would be an interesting option.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Evangelos View Post
    JLC reverso grand would be an interesting option.
    cheers, never realised they were manual
    a bit too 'dressy' for my liking though
    that's one ticked off the list....

Journeyman
    this is a brief summary of my own search from past years.

unless you go vintage or higher up in price, you might find you'd have to settle for a peseux or unitas movement. if you are looking at peseux, many of them are <38mm.

the momo design evo meccanico can be had for a good price - even when new (but grey and you must like the pseudo-skeleton look).

there is another brand that evades my memory right now that makes VFM 649x watches... i'll post it when i remember. (remembered it now. EPOS!)

you could also consider something like the PRS-20...

there's the Tissot squalette if you like that skeleton look. Stowa and Laco both continue to make hand wound pilot/marine chronometer-style watches with 649x.

a really special one to consider will be the Stowa FOLE but it's only available second hand....

the Sinn 6100 regulateur has a higher end 6498 and might be found NOS if you're lucky (eberhard's traversetolo range is an older and cheaper alternative with the same movement/mod).

a similarly decorated (ML76) movement can also be found in older Maurice Lacroix watches... and their newer range features a swan neck regulator (ML153).

(i haven't looked closely at nomos because they make mostly smaller watchers with thin bezels. they might have something >40mm...)

i would look for a pam with an in-house movement if that's where you think you may end up. $4k USD for a stock unitas doesn't seem right in my books.

i hope the above helps. my own search ended with my realization that i don't like manually winding watches. i still have a bunch but i don't wear them anymore...
    Last edited by taxico; 6th May 2017 at 05:17. Reason: EPOS

Journeyman
    Last edited by taxico; 6th May 2017 at 05:18. Reason: added to earlier message.

Master
    Stowa MO.

IMG_1073 copy by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

IMG_1143 copy by Dave in Wales, on Flickr
    Last edited by Dave in Wales; 7th May 2017 at 07:00.

Master
    I've been enjoying my PRS 29A in recent weeks .. hit on a method to keep it accurate to few seconds for weeks on end so it's very practical.

Put an order in now and you could be wearing a beautiful Dornblüth in a years time. For considerably less our host's PRS-39 Ferreira is a snip with it's exclusivity and 3/4 plate movement.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Wales View Post
    Stowa MO.
    That's twice I've seen you post that recently Dave, you really should be incuding a movement shot as well, we need to see those decorated wheels! ;-)
    F.T.F.A.

You could always look to track down a PAM 390, for the gold hands

I've got a Nomos and the Prs-29a mentioned above. The Prs-29b is closer to the size you want. There's also the Hamilton Khaki mechanical.

Winding your watch brings you closer to it. It becomes more of a two-way relationship! I'm hoping that there will be a reaction against smart watches that will take us back to manuals.

Journeyman
    Sounds like you don't mind a little wait. How about a Dornblueth?

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Put an order in now and you could be wearing a beautiful Dornblüth in a years time. For considerably less our host's PRS-39 Ferreira is a snip with it's exclusivity and 3/4 plate movement.
    You beat me to it while I was hunting for a photo

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Master
    Cheers for the ideas so far,

I think the Smiths may be on the small side, I had a 40mm Seafire which I found too small

I'll take a look at what Stowa and Dornblüth have to offer

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by taxico View Post
    this is a brief summary of my own search from past years.

unless you go vintage or higher up in price, you might find you'd have to settle for a peseux or unitas movement. if you are looking at peseux, many of them are <38mm.

the momo design evo meccanico can be had for a good price - even when new (but grey and you must like the pseudo-skeleton look).

there is another brand that evades my memory right now that makes VFM 649x watches... i'll post it when i remember. (remembered it now. EPOS!)

you could also consider something like the PRS-20...

there's the Tissot squalette if you like that skeleton look. Stowa and Laco both continue to make hand wound pilot/marine chronometer-style watches with 649x.

a really special one to consider will be the Stowa FOLE but it's only available second hand....

the Sinn 6100 regulateur has a higher end 6498 and might be found NOS if you're lucky (eberhard's traversetolo range is an older and cheaper alternative with the same movement/mod).

a similarly decorated (ML76) movement can also be found in older Maurice Lacroix watches... and their newer range features a swan neck regulator (ML153).

(i haven't looked closely at nomos because they make mostly smaller watchers with thin bezels. they might have something >40mm...)

i would look for a pam with an in-house movement if that's where you think you may end up. $4k USD for a stock unitas doesn't seem right in my books.

i hope the above helps. my own search ended with my realization that i don't like manually winding watches. i still have a bunch but i don't wear them anymore...
    thanks, I appreciate I may end up with a Unitas & I'm fine with that

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyGood View Post
    and the Prs-29a mentioned above. The Prs-29b is closer to the size you want. There's also the Hamilton Khaki mechanical.
    The PRS-29a is one of my favourite watches, so if you want something larger the b is a great option.

I also up until recently had a Khaki mechanical with the (when I bought it anyway) harder to find black dial.

The long lugs and thin bezel make it wear larger than 38mm and at it's new price is a fantastic watch for the money, just my taste has moved on to smaller watches and this resulted in it never getting worn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The beauty of the Dornbluth is that whilst it's lovely to tell the time with you can also gaze at the whirligigs in the movement every time you wind it . . .

F.T.F.A.

I think Eddie is down to his last few B-Uhrs.

Once you find the right strap it is a pure joy to own.
    Last edited by raysablade; 6th May 2017 at 11:21.

Craftsman
    Glycine Incursore 3762 and all for the same price as a couple of Officine Panerai straps!

Glashutte

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna1138 View Post
    Having declared my collection complete some time ago,...I'm now looking for the next one...
    I'm in no rush to buy and for once I have decided to come up with a game plan and to save up for a specific watch rather than going for an impulsive purchase...(note to self, stay away from SC...)

I have decided my next watch will be a manual wind,

I've had a couple in the past, a Panerai 000 and a Ticino big pilot

I must admit my knowledge of manual wind watches is limited, which is why I have posted 'What's out there?'

Ryanb's offer of the speedy pro has me tempted, I appreciate its a cracking watch (and price) but in all honesty I'm not a fan of Chrono's I don't have a use and I prefer a simple dial
    So I'm looking at Panerai again and the base model PAM 01000, I think my mind is made up but....

any suggestions for alternative watches I should also consider?
    • Manual Wind
    • Not a Chrono
    • No cyclops
    • Ideally 40 - 44mm
    • not a square or rectangular case/dial

cheers
    Ian
    Loads of choice in manual wind chrono's of course but as they're out and the size range is on the large size I'm going to back up your PAM choice but suggest a Radiomir, only because the big crown is a pleasure to wind on these big old pocket watch movements.

PAM210?

Oris 111 :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    Oris 111 :)

Quote Originally Posted by fordy964 View Post
    Loads of choice in manual wind chrono's of course but as they're out and the size range is on the large size I'm going to back up your PAM choice but suggest a Radiomir, only because the big crown is a pleasure to wind on these big old pocket watch movements.

PAM210?

2 good calls there, Oris looks interesting and the Radiomir definitely one to consider, something I have previously overlooked, I've only ever had luminors so that is where I was naturally drawn to.

I'd second a call for the radiomir but I prefer the sub seconds dial of the 183. Like the 210, it's 45mm but wears flat due to the wire lugs

Craftsman

Smile

PAM 512 ............

Master
    Beat me to it

They just look like wall clocks to me!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    That's twice I've seen you post that recently Dave, you really should be incuding a movement shot as well, we need to see those decorated wheels! ;-)
    Your wish is my command :))

Master
    They just look like wall clocks to me!
    That's a look I like, a nice and simple dial.

I need to have a good look around, maybe go to dealers and try on some of the suggestions above before I make a choice

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    What's your budget ish op?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna1138 View Post
    That's a look I like, a nice and simple dial.

I need to have a good look around, maybe go to dealers and try on some of the suggestions above before I make a choice
    That's cool - yes I reckon have a day out trying on as many as you can, you might surprise yourself. Why a manual wind, out of interest - I prefer them too but interested to know why others choose them.

Cheers

What is the attraction to manual winds?? I am interested to know.
    I have a radiomir homage manual wind, and while the look is growing on me, I'm just not sure. Have been caught out a couple times when I forget to wind it, only last about 30ish hours on a wind. But it's a look I am gravitating towards, as I have a Cali dial radiomir homage inbound also.
    Time will tell I suppose.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    Can't speak for anyone else but personally I really enjoy the interaction and ritual of winding every day. You have to pay attention to the watch or it'll stop. I find this dual reliance lacking in autos and quartz as you can just wear them and forget about it.
    And the sound. Can't beat the ticks and whirring of a manual imo.

Quite a few positives, including i) usually thinner as no rotor; ii) bonding and positive feedback during winding; iii) other things being equal, they are cheaper to buy and service; iv) no rotor noise - albeit this depends on the model and, in any case, some people like this; v) better visibility of the movement if the watch has a display back - of course micro-rotors avoid this and tend to be a treat in themselves; vi) for the older or less active members, there is always the danger that automatics will not be kept sufficiently wound, whereas (if forgetfulness has not set in!) daily winding of manuals avoids this.

Possibly/probably others! None are compelling, IMHO, and perhaps it is more about how one feels about the manual vs automatic status.

Can only agree, winding a non - automatic watch is a great little daily ritual and it gives me joy every time.

Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by WatchIng View Post
    Quite a few positives, including i) usually thinner as no rotor; ii) bonding and positive feedback during winding; iii) other things being equal, they are cheaper to buy and service; iv) no rotor noise - albeit this depends on the model and, in any case, some people like this; v) better visibility of the movement if the watch has a display back - of course micro-rotors avoid this and tend to be a treat in themselves; vi) for the older or less active members, there is always the danger that automatics will not be kept sufficiently wound, whereas (if forgetfulness has not set in!) daily winding of manuals avoids this.

Possibly/probably others! None are compelling, IMHO, and perhaps it is more about how one feels about the manual vs automatic status.
    One of the reasons I went for the Oris 111 (as well as it being a middle finger to ETA) is he 10 day reserve. So you can wind it every day but won't have to adjust the date and set it if you forget now and then. I e only had it a week but I plan on making winding the watch a Sunday ritual!

Craftsman
    Maybe a Pinion Pure might be worth a look. English micro brand and the finish is wonderful.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I know you've absolutely said no chronos but have you gone into WOS or Omega and tried on a Speedie? The dial is very legible and devoid of the bright accents that admittedly give Chrono's a sporty excitement. A Speedie on a Crocodile can masquerade as a dress watch however if still a no no. Other options are to go vintage, how about a Rolex Precision? Classic understated looks and you'll probably save a £500 difference on an equivalent Datejust. Or go real high end Vacheron or AP from the 60's, these will be small sized by today's standards but almost handbuilt.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fordy964 View Post

PAM210?

Loving that. My next PAM will be a radiomir without doubt. What size is that 210?

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    What's your budget ish op?
    What started this was Ryan's Offer for the Moonwatch £2550ish which then got me looking at the Panerai £3800(new) so that's where I'm thinking at the moment. As mentioned though I'll be saving up for it so could adjust accordingly

That's cool - yes I reckon have a day out trying on as many as you can, you might surprise yourself. Why a manual wind, out of interest - I prefer them too but interested to know why others choose them.

Cheers
    I have a radiomir homage manual wind, and while the look is growing on me, I'm just not sure. Have been caught out a couple times when I forget to wind it, only last about 30ish hours on a wind. But it's a look I am gravitating towards, as I have a Cali dial radiomir homage inbound also.
    Time will tell I suppose.
    Having previously had a couple I admit I did enjoy the 'ritual' of the winding process.
    My choice this time has been influenced for a couple of reasons, I currently have 4 autos that I'm very happy with, 3 are 100% keepers (each for a different reason) I keep these in a 4 watch winder, so a manual wind will fit my collection nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post

That is a great looking piece

Quote Originally Posted by tom waring View Post
    Maybe a Pinion Pure might be worth a look. English micro brand and the finish is wonderful.
    not bad, I've seen before, believe Piers that used to post here has ties with the company?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    I know you've absolutely said no chronos but have you gone into WOS or Omega and tried on a Speedie? The dial is very legible and devoid of the bright accents that admittedly give Chrono's a sporty excitement. A Speedie on a Crocodile can masquerade as a dress watch however if still a no no. Other options are to go vintage, how about a Rolex Precision? Classic understated looks and you'll probably save a £500 difference on an equivalent Datejust. Or go real high end Vacheron or AP from the 60's, these will be small sized by today's standards but almost handbuilt.
    I haven't 100% ruled out chronos but I do prefer a plain/simple watch, I do need to try the speedy before I rule out.

I have a trip to leeds coming up shortly so will take advantage of the plethora of watch shops to do some perusing...

Then you have the manual winders out there that are rare and exclusive . . . ;-)

F.T.F.A.