closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any Big Green Eggers out there?

Craftsman

Any Big Green Eggers out there?

I've had my large BGE for a year now & IMO it's the dogs dangly bits, are there any other Eggers out there?

I was up at 5 this morning setting it off for my 1st go at a brisket, the plan is for approx 4 hours indirect @ 250f then flip it over & leave it in until 160f internal. Then it's coming out to be foil wrapped with black coffee and back on for as long as it takes to reach 195-200f then left to rest for an hour or until my resistance fails and depending on how it turns out, either start scoffing it or give i to the dogs!

Any other Eggers have favourite recipes?[IMG][/IMG]

Master
    Well you learn something everyday.... never heard of a barbecue called a 'Big Green Egg'. Mind you... starting price nearly nine hundred quid! Wow....

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    Well you learn something everyday.... never heard of a barbecue called a 'Big Green Egg'. Mind you... starting price nearly nine hundred quid! Wow....
    https://www.biggreenegg.co.uk/configure They're not cheap but they are ceramic so will never rust and in theory last forever. It took me a long time to persuade myself I was worth it but after trying the results on a friends Egg it was worth every penny.
    They can be used for all sorts of cooking methods inc as a pizza oven if you crank the heat right up or as a smoker. I think of it as an outdoor Aga, it will burn for 36 hours on one load of charcoal so low & slow is it's forte.

Anyway, todays brisket has just gone back in wrapped & coffee soaked, hopefully the fantastic smell coming out of it is a sign of things to come!

Master
    An impressive egg for sure! I'm a BroilKing-er myself and have done a few roasts on the BBQ. The egg looks great for a bit of slow cooking mind you.

Craftsman
    I want some brisket now, sounds amazing!

I love brisket...

The egg looks fab, if a little like something that should have been chained to the ocean floor in WWII :)

Blog Entries
    Just made my Weber thread look a little pathetic

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Just made my Weber thread look a little pathetic
    Certainly not. The BGE is impressive but your Weber will be perfect. And easier to move around if you feel like it.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Certainly not. The BGE is impressive but your Weber will be perfect. And easier to move around if you feel like it.
    Very true, Webbers are v. good & the BGE takes 2 just to lift off the floor. Mine is in what I call the Egg Box (a shed) so I can use it all year round.

A good mate of mine had a BGE. He makes the best pizzas I've ever tasted!

Master
    Where are the Brisket pics.... :-)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    Where are the Brisket pics.... :-)
    Ah, well, err, in a moment of weakness I sort of ate it a bit. It began with just nibbling a few bits as I was carving then more with dinner & the scraps didn't make it far either as 3 dogs were looking at me in a funny way. Sorry, I'll try to get pics of the next one honest.

Master
    A success then?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    A success then?
    Was scrummy, this one had a rub of of Colemans mustard & Worcester Sauce on it overnight prior to cooking.

No BGE, but I have a ProQ smoker/BBQ I use. Lovely for brisket, pulled pork, ribs and beer can chicken but you need to go low and slow on the cook.
    These are the ribs I did on my first cook.

https://scontent.fltn1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...2f&oe=59C25E8B

https://scontent.fltn1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...16&oe=59B5E559
    Last edited by jammie*dodger; 5th May 2017 at 09:27.

Looks yummy!

Bit too much spice the first time but that was just a case of adjusting my home made Rub.

A difficult science, seasoning correctly for BBQ.

Craftsman
    Having been a Weber man for a few years now, with far too many barbecues. Setting up my large egg this morning, first time cooking on a ceramic BBQ and looking forward to the slow, smoked cooks.

Be off out shortly to get some meats.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by a13x View Post
    Having been a Weber man for a few years now, with far too many barbecues. Setting up my large egg this morning, first time cooking on a ceramic BBQ and looking forward to the slow, smoked cooks.

Be off out shortly to get some meats.
    If it helps, these are a couple of 1st timer tips I was given.

Never, ever forget to "Burp" an egg before you fully open it especially if it's running hot eg cooking pizzas, you'll know when you've been "woofed"

It's very quick to get an Egg to a hotter temperature but it takes a lot longer to get the temperature down.

Always use the best quality lumpwood you can find.

Have fun!

There's a few FB groups for BBQs and smokers I'm a member of (Landmann offset smoker owner here) so I'm sure there's an egg one.

I do like the look of them, but I need the capacity of a large grill as well as the indirect/smoker, and only have space for one item, so it was a smoker for me.

Craftsman
    Fired up for the first time yesterday, simple BBQ, getting the temp up at the end for a lovely fillet steak.

Now have a few racks of ribs prepped in the fridge ready for tomorrow's first attempt at a slower cook. Then a pork shoulder for a much longer cook on Saturday. Can't wait!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by a13x View Post
    Fired up for the first time yesterday, simple BBQ, getting the temp up at the end for a lovely fillet steak.

Now have a few racks of ribs prepped in the fridge ready for tomorrow's first attempt at a slower cook. Then a pork shoulder for a much longer cook on Saturday. Can't wait!
    How did the slow cooking go? Photo's required!!! I've been tempted by a egg recently. This thread hasn't helped

Master
    Peaked at 5 BBQs but recently culled it down to 3 with the arrival of an XL BGE in a table last year.

Great recipes on amazingribs.com, alongside Pit Cue & Red's books. Reds BBQ beans are amazing and so easy, makes it disgusting how few they give you in their restaurants for about £4

Normal cooking on it for me is low & slow ribs, pork butt, hot smoked salmon, links etc. Slowly getting to grips with pizza and roasting chickens (pheasant was a disaster!). Done a couple of small briskets, but really want to do a full packer. The trouble is it can feed a dozen people & don't want to screw up for that many hungry people, or destroy a £50 cut of meat!

I cheat a little & run mine with a pit master IQ so I know it always at the right temperature & with wireless temp probes for the overnight cooks. It's stable & doesn't really need it, but have it left over from my WSM I had before.

Tried burgers on it at the weekend & were the juiciest I've made, although cooking lid down feels a little strange (same for pizzas), just trusting the force lol.

Still got the gas Weber for weekdays / when I'd rather not smell of smoke, but the egg is the best I've ever used.

Last edited by Mj2k; 20th June 2017 at 21:11.

Master
    BBQ brethren & the WSM forums are also great resources for recipes, rubs & sauces. However amazingribs.com has never failed me yet & the science Meathead overlays is always a good read, brings me back to my degree (and no, it wasn't home economics!)

- - - Updated - - -

BBQ brethren & the WSM forums are also great resources for recipes, rubs & sauces. However amazingribs.com has never failed me yet & the science Meathead overlays is always a good read, brings me back to my degree (and no, it wasn't home economics!)

Any Big Green Eggers out there?

Last edited by Argon; 21st June 2017 at 02:34.

Master
    I have been toying with the idea of one of these for ages now but just concerned that it is a bit complicated and I wont end up using it!

Master
    Not complicated at all, very simple to set up & use as either a grill or an outdoor over / smoker.

If you head over to a dealer, they will demonstrate everything and talk you through it all.