closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A Lange and sohne, Lange one - what's it worth?

Craftsman

A Lange and sohne, Lange one - what's it worth?

Sorry to ask it's worth but it's a brand I have no clue of.

A friend of mine would like to sell, it has just come back from a total service from Lange for a smoother sale and looks brand new.

He will be trying out the London dealers next week - he has had one valuation but it seems low to me. Best to ask those in the know, I don't want him getting stung.

It's a black dial, rose gold case. Discontinued now I believe? Although not an LE?

Master
    You can typically buy new Langes with 25-30% discount, and pre-owned are less than that again.
    If he is offered even close to half the original list price, he'll be doing extremely well.
    Last edited by PJ S; 30th January 2018 at 12:21.

This is the old-style Grand Lange 1 with the overlapping sub-dials. Probably the least popular Lange model ever. I am afraid it will not be an easy sell.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I believe that's a grande Lange 1. If it's full box and papers a dealer would be looking to sell for £17-18k, he will probably get offers in the £12k to £14k range I would think.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    You can typically buy new Langes with 25-30% discount, and pre-owned are least ham that again.
    If he is offered even close to half the original list price, he'll be doing extremely well.
    True that.. co worker got 30% off recently

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

You can typically buy new Langes with 25-30% discount, and pre-owned are least ham that again.
    Show me where you can buy a new Lange from an AD at those discounts. No way.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Chrono24 dealers offer new with box and stamped ad papers with those kind of discounts

Craftsman
    What was the offer he received?

Quote Originally Posted by xdonolix View Post
    Chrono24 dealers offer new with box and stamped ad papers with those kind of discounts
    That is not the same as from an AD. Grey dealers are offering excess supply from Italy and Spain. However nothing wrong with those watches, Lange honours warranty without any problem.

I am a big fan of the Lange 1 and I would not be willing to pay £12k for this model.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiloStan View Post
    I am a big fan of the Lange 1 and I would not be willing to pay £12k for this model.
    Same here. If it was a regular L1, I would be interested to buy it. Wouldn't touch this one, design is completely botched versus the regular model's perfect proportions. Sad.

Master
    If it's had a recent full service from Lange in Germany, not the Richemont 'service centre', surely good value at around 13K. If ALS are really being sold at 30% off they are in trouble for such a limited supply brand. But I have yet to come across such offers, or I would have bought an 1815 up/down.

Craftsman
    Sounds like there i s not a lot of love here for it - I think its a lovely watch, but tend to agree, value probably a touch lower

Looks a lot better than when I last saw it

Quote Originally Posted by Siysiy View Post
    Sounds like there i s not a lot of love here for it - I think its a lovely watch, but tend to agree, value probably a touch lower
    Probably the least loved Lange ever. Just look at the design: the date window cutting into the main sub-dial (not even symmetrically), the power reserve indivator coming out of the main sub-dial and - worst of all - how the seconds dial overlaps with the main dial: on one side the dials cross at 16.2 minutes/0 seconds, on the other side at 25.7 minutes/41.8 seconds. Look at how the four-o'clock index is hanging arbitrarily inside the seconds subdial, and no space for the five-o'clock index. Perfectly random, no design behind it!

Reason for this design is that they had demand from Asia and the U.S for a larger model than the original 38mm Lange 1, but didn't want to construct a new movement. So they just blew up the dial over the standard movement and put a spacer into the case. A couple of years later they stopped production of this abnormality and designed a completely new movement for the new now-40mm Grand Lange 1.

Up to this day, there is a large supply of unsold NOS old-model Grand Lange 1 with mostly American watch dealers. They are by and large unsellable unless for very steep discounts.
    Last edited by Raffe; 30th January 2018 at 11:04.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    I swear you read things not written or make up comments in your head – who even mentioned ADs?
    Sure your own Zeitwerk was bought at ~30% less than the RRP, so am I wrong?

I swear you read things not written or make up comments in your head – who even mentioned ADs?
    Careful, your name will be on zee list before you know it.

Well I was assuming you mean AD if you say 'typically'. Depending on the model, the available discounts vary (no rocket science there), but many of their models can probably be bought via grey dealers for such discounts.

When I set out to buy the Zeitwerk, I enquired at ADs in Frankfurt and Vienna and both of them said there where no discounts available. When I threatened to walk out, they both offered 5% (one of them as store credit). After a long search, I ended up buying a display watch from a Spanish AD at a decent discount, even if not 30%. Just before I bought, I received an offer via a forum member from a grey dealer at 25% off RRP, which I turned down as I preferred the AD (even if display).

Journeyman
    Lovely piece, but wouldn't pay up for it tho

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    Looks a lot better than when I last saw it
    So it was a Duncan service, not a Lange service?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    So it was a Duncan service, not a Lange service?
    Nope full Lange service but Duncan has seen itas he fixed a date window on my friends other Lange.