closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Best Watch to get into watches?

Best Watch to get into watches?

Hi all.. it has now been 2 months since i joined the forum, and despise the fact that i cannot afford 99% of the watches i would like to own, this whole world of horology is growing inside of me more and more! you guys are amazing, this forum is amazing!

now, since the beginning of the year, slowly but surely i've been saving up toward my first "important" watch purchase.. i'm at the point in which i feel comfortable spending around the 1K GBP to buy a watch and i was wandering..

what do you guys think is the watch (around that price point) that can carry my passion on forward?
    something that i can hold on to, something i can make me appreciate either the design, the build quality, the mechanics or why not all of these! :)

truly looking forward to what your experience will have to say.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Start by telling us what you like but cannot afford.

mhmm tough to say really..
    like most things in life, different watches or manufacturers have/do things that sets them apart from the others..
    for instance Nomos, has a unique design, Rolex, has unmatched value (amongst other things), Seiko has history, and so on..

it's really hard to tell, sorry if i make this to vague :/

Quote Originally Posted by scucivolo View Post
    mhmm tough to say really..
    like most things in life, different watches or manufacturers have/do things that sets them apart from the others..
    for instance Nomos, has a unique design, Rolex, has unmatched value (amongst other things), Seiko has history, and so on..

it's really hard to tell, sorry if i make this to vague :/
    Sounds like you're sold on Rolex already, so save your money until you can afford one!

Just don't buy the FIRST one you can afford, buy the one you WANT.

M.

ahahah no man, far from the truth.. i just added that (amongst other things) on Rolex because i didn't want to get crucified :D

What is in your collection so far? For 1k the new Nomos campus is a good option. When I started out what seems an age ago it was with a Seiko Monster, I still think it is an excellent watch and the 'lower' end Seikos are great to get into watches.

in the Netherlands most watch lovers agree on one thing.. you can't go wrong with a Seiko.
    my first "Serious" watch was a Seiko, and i loved it, sleek lines, crisp dial.. unfortunately since it was my daily "Beater" it took too much beating, but.. that resulted in another aspect of my personal watch-hobby..

I just made a new case for it.. and that got me started in watchmaking.. if i now "Crave" for a new watch, i just build one.. :)

Vintage or new? Sports or dress? Simple or complicated?

I think you need to at least narrow down your choices a bit. You've just mentioned brands so far. What specific watches do you like?

my collection is limited to 2 watches, of which i was thinking to upload a picture and write a little thing regarding what i like about them, you've beaten me on time :) coming soon

Master
    A speedmaster reduced is a great watch and could be had for around that price. Certainly helped me get into watches more. Loved the reduced so much I then wanted the professional, and so on. Now I've more omegas than I know what to do with.

Some preferences would be helpful though, otherwise it'll just be an endless list of watches people like that are at that price point.

Option 1: Take money out of the equation. Identify a watch that you completely lust after, then factor money back in. Save for it (or in the case of the watch being totally out of financial reach, identify a cheaper close alternative eg you like a Rolex Sub, try a Tudor Black Bay).

Option 2: Just buy the first watch you like that fits in your budget, like a nomos, but be smart and buy secondhand so you can sell it on for not too much of a loss. I bought and sold 10 watches before I knew what I liked.. matter of fact, I'm still doing it! If you want a Rolex it's unlikely £1k will buy you want you want, but tiding yourself over with a nomos while you save another grand will put you in vintage datejust territory

ahahah no man, far from the truth.. i just added that (amongst other things) on Rolex because i didn't want to get crucified :D
    Good

Well, in that case, the best advice is buy what you like, but (as just said), buy used and if you find it doesn't quite tick the box, you've not spent too much and can, probably, recoup a lot of the expense.

Buying new will just cost you money.

That said, I bought a Longines Hydroconquest new (well within your budget) and it's the watch (along with my Speedmaster) that I've worn the most so far this year (yes, I really am sad enough to keep track of such things - Only because someone asked it on here and I decided I'd actually answer with authority in 2018! )

Of course, it may not be the sort of watch you like, or have some little quirk you just can't live with, so find a watch you really like and buy that.

M.

Fair point guys.. all of them!

first thing first.. i am looking at, and only at, pre-owned watches.. so that's out of the way :)

second.. yes the speedy appeal to me like crazy (tbh Omega appeal to me in general), there is Mk40 on sc atm, but i don't i think i'm to keen on that dial (too much going on)..

there's also one Hublot MDM ref. 1381.1 which goes for 1.1GBP on chrono24 and that too, appeal to me..

and that goes to show how undecided i am, given that those 2 watches couldn't be more far apart, i mean, i seriously can't find any one thing they have in common so that i could have a better understanding of what i am looking for XD

Master
    Hi all.. it has now been 2 months since i joined the forum, and despise the fact that i cannot afford 99% of the watches i would like to own, this whole world of horology is growing inside of me more and more! you guys are amazing, this forum is amazing!

now, since the beginning of the year, slowly but surely i've been saving up toward my first "important" watch purchase.. i'm at the point in which i feel comfortable spending around the 1K GBP to buy a watch and i was wandering..

what do you guys think is the watch (around that price point) that can carry my passion on forward?
    something that i can hold on to, something i can make me appreciate either the design, the build quality, the mechanics or why not all of these! :)

Thank you

Have you thought about going down a slightly different path by buying up Seiko Monsters, Turtles and 70's Pogues. These can be bought relatively cheaply, very much enjoyed and later on sold on very very quickly. You may end up with £1200-£1500 worth of watches relatively quickly and could chop them in for a real quality watch later ( though I bet you'd keep them.)

Save for the watch you really want, it's easy to sink a grand or two into watches you think will make you happy when really you should have saved for longer. One thousand isn't a lot for the known brands Omega, Rolex etc, even 2k won't get you much xD though Omega second hand start around £1300 1500, Rolex I think you need at least £2k for a vintage datejust which may not be your style. I am afraid if you are set on a Rolex you are going to have to save for a lot longer and then when you have saved the money you are going to have to look at that 4 5k and think.....maybe I shouldn't blow it on a watch......(saying that a Rolex is the safest watch to drop money on they seem to hold their value well)

Master
    I would test the waters with £1k or less and see where your tastes take you.

You can get some great watches for c. £1k or less. You might decide you need nothing more, or you might desire to go more expensive later.

I would try to focus on watches that retain good value, and buy used, in case you want to trade up and don't want a big loss.

German watches are a good bet, Sinn 556/104, Stowa flieger, Nomos Club. Study eBay and wait for a good example to come up lightly used. You would be looking at £600-800 there. You might not lose anything on resale with these, if you buy well.

Swiss-wise, the Oris Aquis/65, Tag Heuer Aquaracer, and the like can be had for a good used price. If you get it low enough, you shouldn't lose much. Be especially careful if buying new and Swiss at this level though, many can take a nose dive on price.

Personally, I would go for a Sinn 556 and then get a Seiko dive watch, all in for £1k.

From my own experience, it might not be long before you start looking for the next price bracket. Once you spend X, Y becomes more acceptable, then Z... I'm sticking to the classics to tell myself I won't lose much if I ever had to sell!

Blog Entries

I think there is a watch for everyone at every price point. Depends on whether you want prestige name, a military connection , dress or tool watch- I'd be inclined to pick a style of watch that your drawn to then look at the prices top to bottom and see what suits your budget and value for money

For £1k - seiko marinemaster , damasko, sinn, Oris, Hamilton, Steinhart , Marcelo c, Davosa anything from timefactors.com again all depending on your tastes.

Seiko offer excellent value for money on the entry level standard all with robust movements. Seiko brightz look great.

There are G shocks by Casio for big money so really it's a matter of style and taste on your part:

The question is - what type of watch do you like ?

Last edited by bond; 2nd May 2017 at 19:32.

Master
    My first considered purchase was an Omega Seamaster in 2005. Fantastic start to getting into watches in my opinion, also a classic, again in my opinion. I gave it to my eldest son for his 18th a few months ago. You may be able to find an older one for just over £1,000 up to around £1,300/£1,400. Or a Speedmaster of you can get one for around that.

As well as enjoying it I would think it will hold its value okay at that price point.

Last edited by Devonian; 2nd May 2017 at 19:24.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    I think there is a watch for everyone at every price point. Depends on whether you want prestige name, a military connection , dress or tool watch- I'd be inclined to pick a style of watch that your drawn to then look at the prices top to bottom and see what suits your budget and value for money

For £1k - seiko marinemaster , damasko, sinn, Oris, Hamilton, Steinhart , Marcelo c, Davosa anything from timefactors.com again all depending on your tastes.

Seiko offer excellent value for money on the entry level standard all with robust movements. Seiko brightz look great.

There are G shocks by Casio for big money so really it's a matter of style and taste on your part:

The question is - what type of watch do you like ?

I'd go in for a nice smiths Everest for £240 and save the rest. Your getting a look into mechanical watches, a classic 3,6,9 layout and oyster bracelet (one of the best to wear), lovely acrylic crystal, it's got a nice retro modern take on an explorer and its exclusive! Then you have a few bob spare to save for another if you like it and still have money to put to it .

Advice above is spot on: style of watch which works is key, as there's a version at every price level.

There's a challenge which is understanding the amount of marketing you want to support - buying big brands means you pay for marketing spend as much as you pay for the watch, so looking at little known or followed brands gives you a lot more actual watch for the money, although less in marketing presence. As an example, the PRS 42 from our forum master is an £1100 watch, but a similar design and movement from IWC costs a huge amount more; not because it is massively better conceived, but more because of the overhead structure of the businesses. And Eddies watch has the benefit of being a limited run of 50, not of thousands.

I'll say this because it's what I did, not because it's right. I eased my way into the mechanical watch world with a range of Eddie's watches, found the styles I liked, experimented with bigger brand watches from the Sales forum, and ended up with a nice balance of two Eddie watches I really like and provide great satisfaction, and a branded watch I wear a lot, but is not notably of massively greater quality ( although perhaps 10X the purchase price).

Once you get the hang of the different brand propositions and what they seem to mean, it gets easier to differentiate. There are some superb, but underplayed brands around that can give you a fantastic watch for way less than big brands: Damaskos are beautifully made, as an example.

The big brands do provide beautiful watches; however, experimenting with them calls for deeper pockets to find the style you really like.

Once you're in, you're in!

Craftsman

One of my favourites is a Nomos Ludwig. I have far more expensive watches, rarer watches, bigger and sportier watches but it's really got "something ". About 1k for nearly new too. Looks rubbish in photos too, but a lovely versatile wearer. Dress up on a black cordovan. Dress down on sand canvas. Try one. You can flip them easily.

Blog Entries
    IWC need not be expensive, this 3741 was £900.00.

Not everyone's cuppa but I like it lots.

Pitch

+1 on the Nomos Ludwig.

The best thing is I got mine for 'free'. ;-)

Here's what I did to get a watch at no cost... I realised I was spending about £2 a day at work on coffees. I decided to just bring in my own coffee-making gear instead. (You can apply the same approach to any regular expense that you can easily replace/do without.)

Then I went to Goldsmiths and bought a Nomos on 5 year's interest free credit. I don't actually notice the £30 odd quid leaving my account every month and I've incurred no additional cost.

Free watch! ;-)

I don't think Goldsmith's do Nomos anymore.

Longines is a great brand at reasonable prices. I'm fond of the Heritage Conquest 35mm. Which for £800 seems a greater starter and keeper.

Best value watch I have is the Smiths PRS-29a which easily stands up to £1k+ watches imo. One tip I'd give is don't rush in. You are likely to change your mind as you research options. Enjoy.

Since you mentioned Nomos, I'll suggest a more affordable alternative that resides in the same corner of the watch universe: Stowa Marine Automatic. For 1K, you can own a great watch that has the potential to be a long-term keeper, and have some money left over to start saving for your next purchase.

Some great suggestions already and if you can push your budget a little higher you open up many more options.

I have a feeling with your passion this will not be your first and last watch so concentrate on bulletproof (as much as possible) residuals. The Omega suggestions certainly fit into that criteria. Some of the Breitling offerings: Superocean and Steeflish will be close to budget if you like a diver option, Aerospace if you would look at Ana-Digi. I also think the Tudor Hydronauts would also eke into the budget.

Take your time and wait for the right watch at the right price point and you are very unlikely to lose any money on any future re-sale.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post

Pitch
    Nice! (I meant the watch, although the price was pretty nice too!)

Great suggestions here. Thanks for that.

Master
    At 36mm the Omega gen 3 Dynamic is a favourite of mine, circa £700 for a nice one. In a similar vein, the Damasko DA34/5/6/7 are all nice, circa 40mm and around similar money. If your wrists are much bigger, Longines LLD is around a grand lightly used, as is the Omega SMP quartz, though as noted above you may need another few hundred for an auto these days.
    Last edited by Padders; 3rd May 2017 at 06:56.

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    A speedmaster reduced is a great watch and could be had for around that price. Certainly helped me get into watches more. Loved the reduced so much I then wanted the professional, and so on. Now I've more omegas than I know what to do with.
    Where would you look for a Reduced for that kind of money? I've been after one for a while now, nothing's come up. But maybe I'm looking in the wrong places!

Plenty of food for thoughts.. thank you all :)

quick update.. i really would like to try on a Nomos, any idea which shop has them in London?

PS that IWC 3741 is so cool!! i only wish it had a onion crown, that would be over the top :) still, a great watch!!

Master
    You sound like a young man, save a bit more and get a vintage steel chrono, fun and cool watches that you can change up with straps have a look on hodinkee shop for inspiration.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    quick update.. i really would like to try on a Nomos, any idea which shop has them in London?
    I've seen them on display at Wempe in Bond Street, Watches of Switzerland on Regent Street and Harrod's. Their simpler watches look exceptional. Time only, manual wind, drilled lugs, solid caseback, tempered blue hands. They will eventual have tempered blue hairsprings(!) in all their manual wind watches as well. They are a celebration of quality mechanical watchmaking and I'm not sure I could readily name another industrially or series produced watch that is the same.

Can't sing the praises of Nomos highly enough. Definitely think manual wind and display caseback is the way to go. And date too if it's a daily wearer and you want slightly bigger.

It's a joy to wind. I find myself actually taking it off and admiring it way too often, which is a bit weird. Very accurate too in my experience. And the strap seems to be odds on to out-live me.

Can't find a single disappointment in two years of ownership. Have fun trying on!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubs View Post
    Nice! (I meant the watch, although the price was pretty nice too!)
    Cheers bud it is very small and has the JLC mechaquartz movement so doesn't get a lot of love.

For me it's a perfect contrast to my PAM312.

Pitch

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post
    I would test the waters with £1k or less and see where your tastes take you.

You can get some great watches for c. £1k or less. You might decide you need nothing more, or you might desire to go more expensive later.

I would try to focus on watches that retain good value, and buy used, in case you want to trade up and don't want a big loss.

German watches are a good bet, Sinn 556/104, Stowa flieger, Nomos Club. Study eBay and wait for a good example to come up lightly used. You would be looking at £600-800 there. You might not lose anything on resale with these, if you buy well.

Swiss-wise, the Oris Aquis/65, Tag Heuer Aquaracer, and the like can be had for a good used price. If you get it low enough, you shouldn't lose much. Be especially careful if buying new and Swiss at this level though, many can take a nose dive on price.

Personally, I would go for a Sinn 556 and then get a Seiko dive watch, all in for £1k.

From my own experience, it might not be long before you start looking for the next price bracket. Once you spend X, Y becomes more acceptable, then Z... I'm sticking to the classics to tell myself I won't lose much if I ever had to sell!
    I agree re: the German watch suggestion as you get more bang for your buck IMO. If you operating around the £1k mark, a classic looking Nomos or Stowa will not see you far wrong....

For me the best combination of history, prestige, looks and future resale value is an Omega Speedmaster Professional (Moonwatch). But you won't get one for £1k. Probably only the Rolex Sub ticks these same boxes but I prefer manual winding watches

What sort of size are you looking at? The 34mm Tudors are excellent value and come in many different combinations of dials, movements, bezels and bracelets.

Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    Where would you look for a Reduced for that kind of money? I've been after one for a while now, nothing's come up. But maybe I'm looking in the wrong places!
    Have you looked at Ebay? There have been half a dozen or more sold for around £1000 just last month.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyGood View Post
    Can't sing the praises of Nomos highly enough. Definitely think manual wind and display caseback is the way to go. And date too if it's a daily wearer and you want slightly bigger.

It's a joy to wind. I find myself actually taking it off and admiring it way too often, which is a bit weird. Very accurate too in my experience. And the strap seems to be odds on to out-live me.

Can't find a single disappointment in two years of ownership. Have fun trying on!
    Which Nomos you had in mind?
    manual wind and display case back, are something i could enjoy (me thinks)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    Since you mentioned Nomos, I'll suggest a more affordable alternative that resides in the same corner of the watch universe: Stowa Marine Automatic. For 1K, you can own a great watch that has the potential to be a long-term keeper, and have some money left over to start saving for your next purchase.

Case in point! An absolute beauty...

Quote Originally Posted by mr.chef View Post
    Have you looked at Ebay? There have been half a dozen or more sold for around £1000 just last month.
    Bit worried about spending that much money on eBay tbh. Even on a F2F I wouldn't 100% know what I was looking at - there are some bloody good fakes around these days.

Plenty of food for thoughts.. thank you all :)

PS that IWC 3741 is so cool!! i only wish it had a onion crown, that would be over the top :) still, a great watch!!

Fraser hart in Westfield W12

Starting out at that money I'd go with 2-3 mechanical Seiko's like the SARB and Turtle etc... There are some tremendous value prop Seiko mechanicals for 2-300 quid and you won't really better them by trippling the spend. This gives you an instant collection and a daily rotation, especially if you want this to be a hobby.

Having said that though, for a single watch at a grand I will echo much of the advice above and look at the Germans. Nomos for sure ( I had a Club early on) and one of my particular favourites, Sinn. These two brands are excellent value for money on the used market and would be watches that would probably live in a collection of more expensive pieces for some time. The 556 is a superb watch.

Finally one to think about if you can stretch the budget just a little bit is a modern Tudor Ranger. This is a huge amount of watch (and brand) for the money and a real cut above even a Sinn in the flesh, despite similar movement and aesthetic. They can be had close to 1200 from time to time on the used market.

Best of luck :-)

Which Nomos you had in mind?
    manual wind and display case back, are something i could enjoy (me thinks)

I suppose the Orion, Tangente and Ludwig are the base models to choose between. I was going to buy a no date (nein datum?) Orion, but in the shop went for the Ludwig Datum after trying all the options. I think the date feature is really well done under the seconds and preferred the bigger size. I chose the Ludwig because I like roman numerals and they are hard to pull off in a watch imo. I liked the sleek case of the Ludwig too. I think the tangente is just a little too basic looking and I don't quite like the numerals enough. Not quite a dress watch, although the chunkier case is nice too. Orion didn't grab me when I saw it. Probably because of the way the indices sit between the minute markers and I'm not sure about blue and gold.

Haven't seen a club in person. I like the fact it is more versatile, but I think the bezel looks too wide. It reminds me of an Oris I have and never wear. I'd go for the campus ahead of the club just because of the vfm and the roman numerals again. The club datum actually ticks all of my design wants in a watch minus a domed acylic crystal. I think it's just the bezel that puts me off.

The Ludwig is a perfect watch for me when I'm suited and booted or at the office I don't wear it when I'm dressed down though because it is so elegant looking. But that's the joy of having a small collection with different roles.

Journeyman

0% finance?

A controversial suggestion but have you considered buying a watch on 0%? Although many would think this means you can't afford it, in my opinion, as long as you can afford the depreciation and are willing to sell in the future if needs be, you're fine!

Craftsman
    A lot of love here for Nomos. I couldn't agree more - I've recently bought a Tangomat for my son. - a very impressive piece. For a good price check out Chronext .

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post

Pitch

Worth £900 all day everyday
    Nice watch

Michael
    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    Worth £900 all day everyday
    Nice watch

Michael
    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Agreed - at £900 that seems like a bit of a steal!

Journeyman

Thank you

Around this amount I would recomment Oris as a very storng player with decent and well built watches. They have both more sporty and more classic looking pieces and should fit in your budget