closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bezel Problem

Journeyman

Bezel Problem

I recently bought a Tiger Concept 5508. I changed the bezel insert from a standard one to a red triangle. I did this by levering off the bezel. Unfortunately now the bezel doesn't sit flush on the watch and every time it comes into contact with something - a sleeve or a pocket, it tends to come off. I'm not sure what's causing this. The bezel appears to be slightly more raised at the crown side but I don't see why. I've checked that the bezel is flat and though the retaining spring is a little bent, it's flat enough.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

The spring is the issue, it needs to be precisely in the right place or it will never seat properly, I had a devil of a time refitting a bezel recently and it wasn't until the minutest change in the wire ring position would it click nicely into place.
    You could check that the bezel is completely flat too, on a glass table check there is no rocking indicating a bent bezel. If it's flat then it's the spring wire.

Journeyman
    Thanks Jason. The bezel is definitely flat, so as you say it's got to be the spring. The annoying thing is that it's got to be less than a millimetre out.

Bummer, good luck.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Journeyman
    So I emailed William at Tiger Concept to see if I could get a new retaining spring. Unfortunately, he gets his watches preassembled from the factory so he's only solution would be to send it back to the factory. Anybody know where I could get it fixed in the UK, or at least get a new retaining spring?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    It looks and sounds to me that rather than the spring needing replacing it just needs to be located properly? Frustrating I know but it might just be a case of trial and error.

mike

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    It looks and sounds to me that rather than the spring needing replacing it just needs to be located properly? Frustrating I know but it might just be a case of trial and error.

mike
    Would agree with this.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Journeyman
    Frustrating indeed, Mike. Just when I think I've done it, it pops off again. It's getting to the stage where I think I'm not realistically going to use the bezel, perhaps I should consider supergluing it down!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    If I were home I would take a look, but stuck in Sarawak for a month.

DONT glue it, leave it for a while and come back to it when calm, it will fit!!!

Grand Master
    I'll echo the previous advice; you need to keep refitting it until it goes back as it should. Unless you've sprained the spring a replacement isn`t going to help you. Try lubricating the spring, or the area it sits in, that may help it to go where it should, or try a different method of reassembly. I think Mike's advice (trial and error) applies, sometimes you have to keep trying till it goes right.

Are you sure you haven`t sprained the bezel itself? Try placing it on a piece of glass to check for flatness. It's unlikely but I`ve seen it happen.

Apart from Omega SMP bezels which I know well, I dislike messing around with bezels for this very reason. They either won`t come off or won`t go back on easily.....or won`t stay on!

The ones with a ball-bearing to act as a click are the worst, all too easy to lose the damned thing if you're not expecting it.

paul

Are you sure your applying enough pressure ? Sometimes it take more pressure to fit a bezel than you think , when done right normally you feel a satisfying thud when it goes into place.

Journeyman
    Thanks for all the advice. I'll know next time not to mess with the bezel.

Craftsman
    If its anything like a CWC bezel arrangement the spring shown is the click spring. Look on the underside of the bezel and see if there is a thin 8 or 9 sided wire bezel retaining spring in a groove. If the wire is not seated properly in the groove the bezel will not lock over the lip on the case. Bezel retaining springs are usually 0.39 mm or 0.48mm in diameter and are easily damaged/bent with brute force.

As has been suggested, patience, trial and error is the only way.

Terry

Journeyman
    So, I had two submariner homages in my spares box. I took the bezels off both. They had different bezel mechanisms - one had a hexagonal spring one and the other a shortened version of mine. I swapped the shortened one for my problematic one and this seems to have worked. The bezel sits more flush against the case now. It's not perfect but feels more secure than before. I couldn't see a hexagonal retaining spring mentioned by Terry in the original bezel but it seems that watches use one or the other, or both.

Good stuff, glad its sort of sorted.

Journeyman

So different.

Craftsman
    These are the 2 springs in a CWC bezel.

Terry

Bezel Retaining Spring

Click Spring