closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone changed a crystal on a PRS10

Anyone changed a crystal on a PRS10

ALL DONE - SEE BOTTOM OF THREAD.

I've just noticed that the crystal in my PRS10 is cracked in 3 places on the edge. I don't remember doing it but there it is!

Having bough this 'accidentally' for £175 in the fundraiser I'm reluctant to spend yet more on sending it away so thought I might try it myself.

Has anyone done it? How hard is it to get the winder stem off and the movement out of the case? Does the crystal pop in/out with a press or do I need one of those grip tools? Should I quit now?!

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jamesianbriggs; 16th May 2017 at 21:05.

You'll need a decent press as they are a tight fit, here's one I did a while ago.

https://thewatchbloke.co.uk/2015/09/...ecista-prs-10/

I replaced one in my wife's watch that had shattered when she dropped it. Eddie had no stock of replacement crystals when I asked and so I fitted a generic Sternkreuz. Relatively straightforward.

Martin

Grand Master
    Generic crystal should be fine on these.......buying the correct size can be a challenge. I usually end up buying two or even three to do these jobs.

I`ll echo Duncan's comments about having a decent press, you can`t push 'em in with your thumbs. If you can the crystal won`t be tight enough and the watch will either leak or the crystal will fall out when it gets a knock.

Unless you plan to do several in the future it makes more sense to send the watch to a repairer if you've not done this type of work before. I would definitely take the movement out of the case too, often an acrylic crystal can be puled out using a crystal lifter but there's always the risk of slipping and catching the dial.

Paul

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I am home in a month, let me know crystal size needed as I have lots of sternkreuz in parts box, you can have it FOC .

mike......

Thank you all for your input – much appreciated. And if you're revisiting then please can I ask some questions?

I have a press although it's a £10 eBay cheapie rather than anything good. The only time I've used it was to change the flat mineral crystal on my father in law's cheap old Seiko. The crystal change itself went fine but, as a consequence of my 20-tries-before-it-worked removal of the stem, the date setting function stopped working so I am very wary of taking another small, delicate quartz movement out of its case.

Having said that, If someone can tell me what to push on the ronda to get the stem off first time I might have a go. I figure it would work as follows:

-Back off
    -Stem off
    -Movement and holder out
    -Crystal pressed out
    -New crystal pressed in
    -Movement back in
    -Stem back on
    -O-ring silicone greased
    -Back back on

The only other complications I can envisage are getting the right crystal (thank you very much for your offer, Mike) and the 'tension ring' shown in Duncan's blog - the purpose and installation of which I will need to understand!

The original drawing of the watch shows the crystal diameter as 3150 and thickness as 200 – which I assume is 31.50mm and 2.00mm (the decimal points omitted/not showing at this resolution). Would I just look for a crystal with this measurement and a suitable profile or is there anything else I'd need to know?

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

Original drawings if that helps...

Quick update - all done without a hitch.

Bought one of these from Cousins...

Back off, movement out, new crystal pressed in...

Busted crystal binned...

Watch reassembled...

All sorted...

Actually marginally better than when I started because the second hand hits the marks slightly more accurately.

Next project - mother in law's watch movement replacement. Then I might start on some Seiko modding.