closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New JLC Master Control sector dials

New JLC Master Control sector dials

I’m surprised that these haven’t been talked about more on the forum given how popular vintage style watches seem to be. Personally I really like the sector dial and the blue accents but I’m not sure about the skeletonised hands, they look like the lume has fallen out to me.

The Master Control Sector Dial Date would be my choice. What do you think, hit or miss?

Blog Entries
    A hit for me.

z

Sent from a phone using this TZ-UK app

I actually like the hands, but I don't like the thick white circle around the rim of the dial - to my eyes it makes the rest of the dial look bunched up and I can't shake the impression that they chose this so that the position of the date wouldn't give away the small size of the movement.

So, for me, a great idea as I love sector dials, but I don't take to this implementation. Remove the date and expand the dial markings to fill the dial and it would be a hit for me.
    Last edited by WatchIng; 1st May 2017 at 13:57.

Craftsman
    The chronograph is particularly tasty, and thankfully they haven't tried to shoehorn in a date window on it!

Master
    personally, I think it's a lovely watch, with the exception of the date placement, which has already been pointed out. Just a mm or so to the right and it would be perfectly acceptable

Big no. This is JLC failing again, as they regularly do.

I rather liked the chrono when I saw it earlier this year...

[url=https://flic.kr/p/SbQAKr]

Quote Originally Posted by even neve View Post
    Big no. This is JLC failing again, as they regularly do.
    Agreed; it's a meaningless watch that's destined to be forgotten. They indifferent way in which they tend to execute details lately is a real letdown.

Blog Entries
    I prefer Patek's take on this one:

(pic from the web)

Quote Originally Posted by WatchIng View Post
    I actually like the hands, but I don't like the thick white circle around the rim of the dial - to my eyes it makes the rest of the dial look bunched up and I can't shake the impression that they chose this so that the position of the date wouldn't give away the small size of the movement.

So, for me, a great idea as I love sector dials, but I don't take to this implementation. Remove the date and expand the dial markings to fill the dial and it would be a hit for me.
    Now that you mention it, I would have liked it a lot more if it were 36mm and without the date.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I prefer Patek's take on this one: ]
    Now that is a gorgeous watch!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    Now that you mention it, I would have liked it a lot more if it were 36mm and without the date.
    You know the forum cliché about how watches speak to you? Well, that one is braying out "derp!" through its ineptly-placed date window. (The Patek isn't exactly the most refined conversationalist, either.)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    You know the forum cliché about how watches speak to you? Well, that one is braying out "derp!" through its ineptly-placed date window. (The Patek isn't exactly the most refined conversationalist, either.)
    Which watch speaks to you? I see a lot of negative commentary so which watch ignites your interest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love all of these new JLC's, especially the chronograph. I am chuffed that they don't seem to be gathering a following since I'll be able to pick one up for nowt in a couple of years ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by jeepie View Post
    Which watch speaks to you? I see a lot of negative commentary so which watch ignites your interest?
    Well, I wouldn't expend the effort in critiquing watches if I didn't care about them. :)

I'd say that the German manufacturers have been paying more attention to detail lately than the Swiss, who seem to have become somewhat complacent. Nomos in particular is what I'd consider to be an exemplary watchmaker, and Lange is doing much nicer work than Patek's managing to lately. There are also some independent Swiss companies such as FP Journe that make high-quality watches with original and distinctive looks. Rolex commands huge respect for their watchmaking capabilities, even if the newer designs have lost some of their previous charm. Their 4- and 5-digit references are my favourite all-around watches, and what I wear the most often.

I've tried JLC as well, but I just think it's unfortunate that they seem to be losing some of their talent since being bought by Richemont. Some of their older watches are gorgeous, and they still produce a few nice ones; there are some great-looking Reverso models, for example. But these sector dial watches just seem rather derivative and uninspired.

The skeletonised hands look great in that ensemble. Love the watch.

I like it but it would not pass the watch box test in the morning "do I put on the JLC or my Rolex Submariner 16610" The Sub every time.

The chrono version gets my vote for the JLC's. even the Patek sector dial, when 'matched' with a date window, looks a bit out of sorts

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I prefer Patek's take on this one:

(pic from the web)
    Can't help looking at the watch and seeing a a circular tape measure!

Not for me this one...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    The chrono was very high on my list actually, it's a great looking watch. It really deserved a see-through back though as the water resistance isn't very high anyway, and the star of most JLC watches is the finishing on the movement.

I'm in the market for something "special" though, for around 7-8k to celebrate the birth of my son this year and whatever it is it would never be flipped, so I'm really taking the time to pick something. I like the JLC range posted here, but the dials just don't have enough going on for me for the price point - applied indices, multiple layers etc. When you weigh up the fact that you can get a meteorite dial master calendar in steel for around £7500 new, it just comes across as a bit too "everyday" for me - and £6500 for something like that is just too much. The dual timezone watch is nearly there I have to say, but I wish I would have bought the chrono on reflection.

I think you really have to try one on - the pictures never do these kinds of watches justice and Hodinkee reported that it felt like a watch that was double the cost. Then again, Hodinkee never say anything bad about anything these days - so I'm not sure I trust their judgment so much.

Bear in mind that anyone thinking of picking one of these up - I read somewhere that the sector dial watches may only be around for this year to next year. They are not limited editions but they are a "celebration" of the master line that *may* be discontinued. I don't really want to spread hyperbole there - but I mention it because it did factor into my purchasing decision. It's a no from me.

M.

Craftsman
    Oh and one more point - when I realised that the fonts on the watches make it feel a bit like Microsoft Office, I couldn't unsee that haha!

Quote Originally Posted by Rossmore10 View Post
    Can't help looking at the watch and seeing a a circular tape measure!
    Ha ha! Very true - well spotted.

Quote Originally Posted by mjgerrard View Post
    Oh and one more point - when I realised that the fonts on the watches make it feel a bit like Microsoft Office, I couldn't unsee that haha!
    It's nice to see that I'm not the only one that notices these things.

The watch in the OP is a very classy look, in my opinion - and has a kind of art-deco look about it.

Al

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    Well, I wouldn't expend the effort in critiquing watches if I didn't care about them. :)

I'd say that the German manufacturers have been paying more attention to detail lately than the Swiss, who seem to have become somewhat complacent. Nomos in particular is what I'd consider to be an exemplary watchmaker, and Lange is doing much nicer work than Patek's managing to lately. There are also some independent Swiss companies such as FP Journe that make high-quality watches with original and distinctive looks. Rolex commands huge respect for their watchmaking capabilities, even if the newer designs have lost some of their previous charm. Their 4- and 5-digit references are my favourite all-around watches, and what I wear the most often.

I've tried JLC as well, but I just think it's unfortunate that they seem to be losing some of their talent since being bought by Richemont. Some of their older watches are gorgeous, and they still produce a few nice ones; there are some great-looking Reverso models, for example. But these sector dial watches just seem rather derivative and uninspired.
    Thanks for taking the time to reply. It's great that there's variable commentary on watches and I enjoy that. It's very interesting to here the watches that you like. I certainly find the evolution of my taste overtime means that I too am gravitating to older watches. It's interesting that the SD4000 which was a non-blingy Rolex and very much appeared targetted to watch lovers was discontinued. I guess lots of people like bling.

My favourite reverso is the Tribute to 1931. Sadly way to long for my wrist and they don't do that style in mid size.

Thanks again.

Greg

It's interesting that the SD4000 which was a non-blingy Rolex and very much appeared targetted to watch lovers was discontinued. I guess lots of people like bling.

Greg
    That would be my take on it...........

People want others to recognise that they are "Rolex-wearers", and the classic versions (due to their age and being "homage'd" to death) - don't do this............

Prompts the appeal of the new "fat-case" editions.

(just my thoughts)

Al

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    That would be my take on it...........

People want others to recognise that they are "Rolex-wearers", and the classic versions (due to their age and being "homage'd" to death) - don't do this............

Prompts the appeal of the new "fat-case" editions.

(just my thoughts)

Al
    Agreed Al. Shame though. Undoubtedly, Rolex are incredibly successful .

Thanks for taking the time to reply. It's great that there's variable commentary on watches and I enjoy that. It's very interesting to here the watches that you like. I certainly find the evolution of my taste overtime means that I too am gravitating to older watches. It's interesting that the SD4000 which was a non-blingy Rolex and very much appeared targetted to watch lovers was discontinued. I guess lots of people like bling.

My favourite reverso is the Tribute to 1931. Sadly way to long for my wrist and they don't do that style in mid size.

Thanks again.

Greg
    My pleasure, Greg! It's interesting to me that German companies A. Lange & Söhne and Glashütte Original seem to have the most autonomy from Richemont and Swatch Group, respectively, while I'm pretty sure that it's solely because of their corporate overlords that JLC occasionally gets saddled with questionable stuff like the Batman Reverso. I agree that the normal TT1931 is a great-looking watch, though!

For me, high-grade watches are all about the details, and I don't think an undiscerning "hooray-for-everything" mentality is healthy for either consumers or producers. For what these things cost, I reckon folks have the right to be as picky as they want.

As Sam said in Ronin: "Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt." :)

Journeyman
    My biggest concern with this watch is the dial might appear quite flat and uninteresting with the lack of any applied indices

Craftsman
    I've got nothing but love for all of them:

Definitely one of my favorite collections from SIHH this year.

Regards,
    Adam

Apprentice
    I love it personally , it's niche , but so are many these days , iv got a jlc master chrono in my watch box , along side my Rolex GMT II , omega aqua terra , Breitling 806 and sea wolf , and it depends on my mood and what I'm wearing as to what gets picked out , but a JLC is never overlooked

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app