closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Patek 2017

Journeyman

Patek 2017

Had an opportunity to try on some of this year's offerings, wrapped in plastic as they were show pieces. My favourites were the 5940r and the 5960g

The 5329g was interesting but I'm not completely convinced by it, not sure why. Maybe it'll grow on me.

I also tried the 5168g Aquanaut which I just found too massive to even bother with a wrist shot.

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    I repair a small number of older PP's.
    These new ones just don't appeal to me.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Webwatchmaker; 30th April 2017 at 17:11. Reason: Double posted

Master
    Syringe hands on the 5329 are a bit strange, and too much real estate in the centre of the dial.

Craftsman
    I'm really not keen on the new PC (its ref. 5320G), the vintage styling just doesn't work for me at all. However I think the latest version of the 5960 is a great update, the new blue dial, change to the pushers and brown leather strap look good.
    Did you order anything?
    Last edited by Cinch; 30th April 2017 at 17:53.

I have to agree none of these really appeal, though the plastic wrapping is not helping them. I like 5170P 5078 and the 5372, but I think they are older styles in different metals/colours?

Master
    I just googled the 5168g,it is truly awful.

I like the three handed Nautilus and the symmetrical dialled versions (if that's a description) and the more complicated Pateks.

But these do nothing for me.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Frakius View Post
    I have to agree none of these really appeal, though the plastic wrapping is not helping them. I like 5170P 5078 and the 5372, but I think they are older styles in different metals/colours?
    They've done a good job of the 5170P, it looks stunning. I'm not sure about the diamond baguette hour markers, apparently it's very subtle though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinch View Post
    They've done a good job of the 5170P, it looks stunning. I'm not sure about the diamond baguette hour markers, apparently it's very subtle though.
    Yes the markers may be a bridge too far in taste! If they had stuck to platinum/white gold markers would have been better I think, still it's a beautiful watch. It's so far out of my price range that any questionable taste decisions will have to be shouldered by some other poor unfortunate soul

Journeyman
    I'm really not keen on the new PC (its ref. 5320G), the vintage styling just doesn't work for me at all. However I think the latest version of the 5960 is a great update, the new blue dial, change to the pushers and brown leather strap look good.
    Did you order anything?
    I didn't order anything and although I liked the 5960g it didn't move me enough to commit that kind of money. Plus there are other brands/models I'm more interested in at the moment that are within a more 'reasonable' budget.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Yes I have to agree, I found it just bizarre.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Frakius View Post
    It's so far out of my price range that any questionable taste decisions will have to be shouldered by some other poor unfortunate soul
    Yes it's not a watch within my budget but it's nice to dream.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pv406 View Post
    I didn't order anything and although I liked the 5960g it didn't move me enough to commit that kind of money. Plus there are other brands/models I'm more interested in at the moment that are within a more 'reasonable' budget.
    I heard it's not far off 50k, Sheesh!

I've a friend interested in the WG Aquanaut, where has one in stock and do you have UK list price?

Banned
    Yes it's not a watch within my budget but it's nice to dream.

- - - Updated - - -

I heard it's not far off 50k, Sheesh!
    That's what really irritates me. They are mass produced like any other Swiss brand.
    Not as if they have enamel dials or stunning interior finishes.
    You're paying to have the name on your wrist.
    Early PP's and VC's had a beautiful finish and really looked unique.
    I would of course wear one if it was a present !

Sent from my SM-G900F using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I've a friend interested in the WG Aquanaut, where has one in stock and do you have UK list price?
    I don't think they are readily available yet, was told it'll be a 'few months, maybe August/Sept' and it's around £28-29k but can't recall exactly as I wasn't paying that much attention to this particular model.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Sorry to say, none of those are the pick of the PP crop.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Agreed. But all is not lost - a couple of fine offerings this year with the 5170P-001 and the 5396R-014. Very beautiful and keeping PP well in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I don't think you will ever see one of these in an AD's window, as they will be like gold dust, like the rest of the Aquanaut range. My dealer, yesterday agreed to add my name to their list for the "Ordinary 5167A"

But back to the OP's question. It sounds like I am in the minority, because I love the 5320G.
    It just ticks sooo many boxes for me.
    Looking forward to seeing one, when Patek visit the dealer with their usual annual display.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    I don't think you will ever see one of these in an AD's window, as they will be like gold dust, like the rest of the Aquanaut range. My dealer, yesterday agreed to add my name to their list for the "Ordinary 5167A"

But back to the OP's question. It sounds like I am in the minority, because I love the 5320G.
    Looking forward to seeing one, when Patek visit the dealer with their usual annual display.
    There are many fans of the 5230 on TRF and PuristPro, for some the 40mm case will be welcomed and of course it has the great dial layout of the 3448 and 3450. For me the problem is the dial colour, the lume numerals and syringe hands but the case is very nice indeed.

Tony- glad to see you're on the list

Quote Originally Posted by Webwatchmaker View Post
    That's what really irritates me. They are mass produced like any other Swiss brand.
    I do not like the 2017 designs, but I'm not sure the point about mass production and interior finishing is entirely correct.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 11erv View Post
    I do not like the 2017 designs, but I'm not sure the point about mass production and interior finishing is entirely correct.
    Whilst PP claim to set the standard for finishing movements it is arguable that companies like Parmigiani or Lange finish their watches to more practical and aesthetic refinement.
    Ultimately it is a question of taste.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post

What was the wait time quoted?

Master
    The pick for me is definitely the 5320G-001. I love the dial colour, Arabic numerals and the hands. To me it's nicely balanced. I_wouldn't_say_no

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post

I like the three handed Nautilus and the symmetrical dialled versions (if that's a description) and the more complicated Pateks.

But these do nothing for me.
    I like it, and I'm sure it would suit a larger wrist. The blue looks like a very nice shade too, but it's a lot more than the 5167 I have on order.
    It's just a matter of time...

Blog Entries
    Early PP's and VC's had a beautiful finish and really looked unique.
    I would of course wear one if it was a present !

Found this video rather fun to watch - did you visit the Patek museum - some quite exquisite pieces there:
    http://www.patek.com/movies/insider/...melling_EN.mp4

I doubt Patek are produced on the mass scale of other swiss brands.

M

Banned
    I was asked by PP (Bertrand Stussi) in 2001 to work for them at their enamelling workshop. But chose not to stay in CH.
    So yes. I have seen their museum (P. Geiser) and manufacture.
    Of course their components are mass produced but as I said have produced some unique and stunning pieces in the past.
    There is hand finishing to some models.
    I am not berating the Company.
    They produce beautiful watches.
    My taste is more keen on traditional technical aesthetics.
    That's all !

Last edited by Webwatchmaker; 1st May 2017 at 11:50. Reason: Got the date wrong

Blog Entries
    I was asked by PP (Bertrand Stussi) in 1981 to work for them at their enamelling workshop. But chose not to stay in CH.
    So yes. I have seen their museum (P. Geiser) and manufacture.
    Of course their components are mass produced but as I said have produced some unique and stunning pieces in the past.
    There is hand finishing to some models.
    I am not berating the Company.
    They produce beautiful watches.
    My taste is more keen on traditional technical aesthetics.
    That's all !

Thank's for the insite Brendan - you probably have more actual experience than most on here. It is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by 11erv View Post
    Well, they've significantly increased their production during the Thierry Stern era, and it's obvious to me that the attention to detail isn't what it used to be, nor is the expertise of the designs. Producing something as amateurish as the 5960 models would have been inconceivable before he took over.

It's still incredible to me that a family which made its money in top-grade dialmaking before buying Patek Philippe would end up producing ones as inept as the 5140's and 5327's. :P

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post

It's still incredible to me that a family which made its money in top-grade dialmaking before buying Patek Philippe would end up producing ones as inept as the 5140's and 5327's. :P
    They are poor dials, incorrectly upsizing the dial of the 3940 and then on the 5327 filling the extra space with breguet numbers. They really needed a new/ bigger movement for the 5140 and 5327.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Thank's for the insite Brendan - you probably have more actual experience than most on here. It is appreciated.
    Thanks Martyn. I did get the date wrong. It was 2001 not 1981.
    Enamellers are notoriously secretive.
    That's what put me off.
    Two at JleC refused to work in the same workshop lest one would learn the other's secrets.
    I am still in touch with one of them.
    She painted miniatures on very pricy limited edition Reversos.
    JleC also made some erotic versions.
    To private commission I believe.

There are many fans of the 5230 on TRF and PuristPro, for some the 40mm case will be welcomed and of course it has the great dial layout of the 3448 and 3450. For me the problem is the dial colour, the lume numerals and syringe hands but the case is very nice indeed.

Tony- glad to see you're on the list
    Nick - possibly the only slight dislike are the syringe hands. Love the fact that they are luminous, but would have preferred them a different shape. Though not enough to not want one

Quote Originally Posted by crooky13 View Post
    What was the wait time quoted?
    Hopefully, towards the end of the year.

Master
    Well, they've significantly increased their production during the Thierry Stern era, and it's obvious to me that the attention to detail isn't what it used to be...
    Preposterous! Who thinks this doesn't look like a brand new $70,000 watch?

Journeyman
    Producing something as amateurish as the 5960 models would have been inconceivable before he took over.
    Genuinely interested to know what you mean by 'amateurish' and conversely what watch model/brand you consider 'un-amateurish'?

Journeyman
    Why do manufacturers make such large cases. They all look too big on your wrist in the photos.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I like it, and I'm sure it would suit a larger wrist. The blue looks like a very nice shade too, but it's a lot more than the 5167 I have on order.
    I loved it initially but since then have gone off it as I guess black to me is the Aquanaut (bit like a Sub)

Also chucking the same movement into a bigger case appears to have not gone down well with some people, guess I can see their point at that price!

If my 5711 ever arrives I think I will jump on the Aquanaut list for sure - love both of these watches and they have kind of killed my Rolex addiction!

It's certainly stopped me buying more sports Rolex, as still wearing my 5711 every day in Oz :)

I'm looking forward to picking up the 5167 when my names hits the top of the list.

Master
    Love the 5320G with the new case and dial.

Master
    Well, they've significantly increased their production during the Thierry Stern era, and it's obvious to me that the attention to detail isn't what it used to be, nor is the expertise of the designs. Producing something as amateurish as the 5960 models would have been inconceivable before he took over.

How is the 5960 Amateurish? Its an Annual Calendar (Patek Patent) with a flyback column wheel vertical clutch chronograph.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    How is the 5960 Amateurish? Its an Annual Calendar (Patek Patent) with a flyback column wheel vertical clutch chronograph.
    & I love the looks. A steel version is still a possible at some stage for me.

Master
    Had an opportunity to try on some of this year's offerings, wrapped in plastic as they were show pieces. My favourites were the 5940r and the 5960g

I'm sure the fit and finish are superlative, but from a distance it looks like a watch my dad once received with an insurance quote - apart from the name on the face.

Master

The 5329g was interesting but I'm not completely convinced by it, not sure why. Maybe it'll grow on me.

I also tried the 5168g Aquanaut which I just found too massive to even bother with a wrist shot.
    Out of those three, the one which most appeals is the first one, closely followed by the last. The second one does nothing for me, no matter how technically brilliant it is.

Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    I'm sure the fit and finish are superlative, but from a distance it looks like a watch my dad once received with an insurance quote - apart from the name on the face.
    Lucky dad

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Lucky dad
    Nah. That was a dogs dinner too...

Banned
    Well gents, I've just been given this beauty to fix. So I will have a close look at it's assembly:

Master

Nothing there!

I'm afraid there's nothing in them for me😏

Let's try and forget the price for a minute, I genuinly wouldn't buy them at any price? For me they just look too dated and I like vintage/dressy but these latest offerings are not keeping up for me!
    If you then add the price into the mix then it's an absolute no!!
    I suppose luckily for me then that I can't afford one anyway😂

Chris

Journeyman
    Well gents, I've just been given this beauty to fix. So I will have a close look at it's assembly:

Looking forward to your informed findings on this, a great watch indeed!

Craftsman
    Fortunately all patek watches are way out of my budget,personally I don't understand the brand at all and they have never made a watch that I remotely like.....and the name seems just as bad as Christopher ward in my opinion....also the marketing seems a bit cheesy with all that "you never really own a patek nonsence "

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter franks View Post
    Fortunately all patek watches are way out of my budget,personally I don't understand the brand at all and they have never made a watch that I remotely like.....and the name seems just as bad as Christopher ward in my opinion....also the marketing seems a bit cheesy with all that "you never really own a patek nonsence "
    Wonderful contribution. Do some research might help. Just because you aren't attracted to them this comment seems odd, they are one of the founders of the passion we all enjoy, go check out their museum if you aren't convinced. And the whole never own a patek is not nonsense at all. They are the only brand in existence that guarantee they will restore and service EVERY watch they have ever made. So they are telling you it will last.

Banned
    Another old PP to fix
    !

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    Wonderful contribution. Do some research might help. Just because you aren't attracted to them this comment seems odd, they are one of the founders of the passion we all enjoy, go check out their museum if you aren't convinced. And the whole never own a patek is not nonsense at all. They are the only brand in existence that guarantee they will restore and service EVERY watch they have ever made. So they are telling you it will last.
    Apologies my post was not meant to cause any offence ...I was just giving my personal opinion like others have done in this thread,however I am confused as to why I was singled out for a telling off?maybe you should think before posting a personal attack , I only gave an opinion and didn't state it as fact..