closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Camera advice- motorcycle racing

Master

Camera advice- motorcycle racing

Morning everyone, I'm hoping for some advice from the photographers on here. I'm a not very good photographer with trips planned to the TT and a couple of MotoGP's this year, and I'd like to get a suitable camera, from the Canon range as I have a few Canon lenses.

I have Canon 6d which a bought a while ago for landscape shots, and northern lights in Finland and it worked very well for that but I tried using it at the track last year and found that the burst rate couldn't keep up. I gave up with auto focus and just locked the focus to a place on the the track.

Been looking at 7d, and most of the reviews say this is good for motorsports, but is there any advantage with a 5d?

Also, any recommendations for a lens? My lenses were also aimed more at landscape/portrait so I don't have a long lens.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

What lenses have you got?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    What lenses have you got?
    i knew someone's would ask that! I'll check and post back!

I have a 30D and a Sigma 70-300 which I have used a few times for motorbike racing, at my level it has suited me pretty well.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by berin View Post
    i knew someone's would ask that! I'll check and post back!
    Right, I've got the 24-105 kit lens, a 16-35 wide, and a 50mm fixed lens

What's the biggest f stop it will go to at 105?

I think I'd be looking for a minimum telephoto of 300mm and minimum f stop of f4 the try and a) get close enough and b) be fast enough to freeze the action.

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    What's the biggest f stop it will go to at 105?

I think I'd be looking for a minimum telephoto of 300mm and minimum f stop of f4 the try and a) get close enough and b) be fast enough to freeze the action.

The 24-105 is f4 throughout the entire focal range.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by berin View Post
    Morning everyone, I'm hoping for some advice from the photographers on here. I'm a not very good photographer with trips planned to the TT and a couple of MotoGP's this year, and I'd like to get a suitable camera, from the Canon range as I have a few Canon lenses.

I have Canon 6d which a bought a while ago for landscape shots, and northern lights in Finland and it worked very well for that but I tried using it at the track last year and found that the burst rate couldn't keep up. I gave up with auto focus and just locked the focus to a place on the the track.

Been looking at 7d, and most of the reviews say this is good for motorsports, but is there any advantage with a 5d?

Also, any recommendations for a lens? My lenses were also aimed more at landscape/portrait so I don't have a long lens.

The 7D will do what you need and has a max burst rate of 8fps. There are four 5D models, the Mk3 or Mk4 would do what you need but wont be cheap. Also the 5Ds are full frame and this makes for large file sizes, which means you need a fast card reader and a computer with a fast processor to handle viewing and processing said files. The 7D has a crop factor of 1.6, so if for example you fitted a 100mm lens you would get the equivalent view of a 160mm lens on a full frame body. Also consider a 1D mKIII, 1.3 factor, full pro spec, 10fps, built like a tank and now very affordable. I use mine with a 24-105 attached as an all rounder, I keep the 7D in a bag with a Mk2 70-200 2.8 + 2x Mk3 converter for sport and action.
    F.T.F.A.

Remember - you will probably be a lot closer to the action at the TT, so a long lens won't be quite so critical.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    The 7D will do what you need and has a max burst rate of 8fps. There are four 5D models, the Mk3 or Mk4 would do what you need but wont be cheap. Also the 5Ds are full frame and this makes for large file sizes, which means you need a fast card reader and a computer with a fast processor to handle viewing and processing said files. The 7D has a crop factor of 1.6, so if for example you fitted a 100mm lens you would get the equivalent view of a 160mm lens on a full frame body. Also consider a 1D mKIII, 1.3 factor, full pro spec, 10fps, built like a tank and now very affordable. I use mine with a 24-105 attached as an all rounder, I keep the 7D in a bag with a Mk2 70-200 2.8 + 2x Mk3 converter for sport and action.
    No problem with the file handling, I've a decent spec mac with Lightroom and photoshop, as I already have a full frame in the 6d.

Do do you think the 5d has advantages over the 7d? I've read that the 7d is good for sports and not much else, which may be ok since I have the 6d but maybe I'd be better trading the the 6d against a 5d and get a 300mm lens.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Remember - you will probably be a lot closer to the action at the TT, so a long lens won't be quite so critical.
    yes, true, not so at the MotoGP's though.

The problem with using a high burst rate is that you can easily finish up with hundreds of shots from an event and you can't really tell which are keepers using the rear screen on a camera, so you have to load them all up and then view and discard, this is where the large file sizes can be problematic. There's a lot of negativity online about the 7D, but a lot of users don't take the time to set them up properly, both the image settings and AF settings. Personally I'd keep 6D, you really can't beat a FF body for anything with no movement, and look at a 7D Mk2 for the long stuff. Why lose money on the 6D? Given that you need a longer lens I'd also look at the 70-200 Mk2 IS USM 2.8, it's a fantastic lens and may be long enough for what you need, if not add a Mk3 1.4TC, and you have effectively a 160-450 (ish) f4 lens (you lose a stop with the 1.4 TC, 2 stops with a 2x so f 5.6) The current long zooms from Sigma and Tamron (@ 150-600) give some excellent reach but are comparatively slow, and not as versatile as the 70-200, which is also very good for portraits at the short end. Of course I have no idea what your budget is!
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Thanks for the replies so far. Just spoke to a friend who not a pro but does sell some pictures. He's recommended a 5d mk iv with the 100-400 IS L ii. I can trade my 6d for about £700, plus there's a trade in bonus of £200 and a bundle bonus with lens of about £185 going at Wex at the mo. Advantage is I reduce my bodies to one, which does everything, disadvantage is I reduce my bodies to one, which does everything.

That will cost me about £1000 more, but I end up with the latest 5d.

I'm not bothered about having hundreds of shots, with Lightroom it's easy to process them and chuck away the ones I don't want, and memory is cheap

High burst rate has its place, first corners for example, but it's not the answer to poor shots.

My advice. Practice, get a telephoto or a telephoto zoom and check the quality of your shots as you take them.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

The 100 to 400 L series lens is highly regarded and the only other real option would be a 300mm prime but as you already note, this doesn't give you the same flexibility as the zoom (clearly!)

From what I've read on wildlife forums you won't be disappointed with the 100 - 400.