closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Heathrow advice

Heathrow advice

Not watches! Goimg to collect my daughter from her flight from Sydney. She'll be tired and I don't want her faffing with trains, etc at 5am...which is the landing time Wednesday morning. Im goingvto go down the M40 from Coventry. No idea what to do when I get there. I think it's T5. Any advice would be great. Parking (that'll be cheap, lol) and where to meet flights would be really helpful. Antyone familiar with Heathrow?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mjrennie View Post
    Not watches! Going to collect my daughter from her flight from Sydney. She'll be tired and I don't want her faffing with trains, etc at 5am...which is the landing time Wednesday morning. Im goingvto go down the M40 from Coventry. No idea what to do when I get there. I think it's T5. Any advice would be great. Parking (that'll be cheap, lol) and where to meet flights would be really helpful. Antyone familiar with Heathrow?

Master
    Fairly familiar, I'm there every couple of weeks. If it's T5 then follow the signs up the ramp and park in the zone designated for pick up, park and go through to the terminal. For some reason I haven't been able to work out half of this is taped off and has been for months, but at 5am you should have no problem. It's free for up to 15-20 minutes, so check on a flight tracker if the flights going to be late.
    Also, to avoid missing each other, agree a rendezvous - there's a Costa stand in front of arrivals, so maybe pick the right hand side of that as you look at it.

Should be a doddle!

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

As above really, there is short term parking right next to the terminal which is what you need. It wont be busy at that time of the morning and if you aim to arrive about 30 mins after her flight lands you shouldn't be waiting long

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not too familiar with Heathrow but if you fancy a bit of grub before you head back, check out the Wonder Cafe in Hillingdon. Proper greasy spoon and the stuff of local legend. It's just of the A40 at Hillingdon so on the way sort of.

Thank you all.

Assuming that it's flight BA016 arriving at 05:05 it will be Terminal 1 I believe. Check online for the arrival time before leaving home and head for the short stay car park and prepare yourself for the cost!

track the flight on flight tracker and arrivals apps, so you don't arrive as normal - when the flight is late.

Al

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    Assuming that it's flight BA016 arriving at 05:05 it will be Terminal 1 I believe. Check online for the arrival time before leaving home and head for the short stay car park and prepare yourself for the cost!

There hasn't been a terminal 1 for a few years now. I'd say it'll be T5, with a slim chance of T3.

Quote Originally Posted by Wittymoniker View Post
    There hasn't been a terminal 1 for a few years now. I'd say it'll be T5, with a slim chance of T3.
    You're absolutely correct. I don't know where '1' came from: typo or distracted.......or both! It was Terminal 5 a few months ago.

Master
    You can park at any Heathrow long term car park and use the provided shuttle bus for up to 2 hours Free !.

Used this facility many times, see info here :-

http://www.heathrow.com/transport-an...g-stay-parking
    Last edited by genesos; 29th April 2017 at 22:45.

In the past I've always tell them to wait on the top level in the drop off area, and then swoop by to pick them up. Not only is it free, but hassle free too.

They've clamped down on private hire doing this but i cant remember having a problem

Sent from my Lenovo TB3-710F using Tapatalk

2 hours free. So...I guess the shuttle runs at 5am ish...anyone know? Suppose it's a mini city that place

TBH, that is slightly daft advice. The shuttle bus journey to and from long term parking can be 15-20 minutes, each way. Just to save a few £????

There is plenty of short term parking provided for those waiting for inbound flights. Definitely check the ETA before leaving home though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    In the past I've always tell them to wait on the top level in the drop off area, and then swoop by to pick them up. Not only is it free, but hassle free too.

They've clamped down on private hire doing this but i cant remember having a problem

Sent from my Lenovo TB3-710F using Tapatalk

You'll be lucky these days. A big chunk of the parking on the top (departures level) is coned off and it's well patrolled- I reckon you'll get 5 minutes on a good day.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    TBH, that is slightly daft advice. The shuttle bus journey to and from long term parking can be 15-20 minutes, each way. Just to save a few £????

There is plenty of short term parking provided for those waiting for inbound flights. Definitely check the ETA before leaving home though.

Agreed, the long term parking is miles away, last thing you want after a long haul flight. Use the free pick up in short term, but check the landing time. The guy who drives me always uses it and it never seems to be more than a fiver even if he's waited ages.

Heathrow advice

Quote Originally Posted by berin View Post
    You'll be lucky these days. A big chunk of the parking on the top (departures level) is coned off and it's well patrolled- I reckon you'll get 5 minutes on a good day.
    You only need 20 seconds for whoever you are picking up is waiting for you, and gives you a tinkle on the mobile to say they are there.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post

You ought to engage brain before typing a post, it was only suggested as an option, Terminal 5 long term is only just over a 1km away and the 2 hours gives time to have a coffee whilst waiting :-

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...638264!9m1!1b1
    Last edited by genesos; 1st May 2017 at 21:11.

To conclude and to help anyone else out, this is what I experienced.

Went in Long Stay as it does advertise itself as free for the first 2 hours. Picked up the shuttle, which is free and took maybe 5 minutes to drop us off. Met daughter and got on the return bus a few minutes later...they are every 10 minutes. back to the car and out to the exit barrier...less than 45 minutes total.

Insert ticket and get asked for £27.50. Disgraceful. Pressed the button for assistance and immediately get told by the voice to 'stop shouting'. Lol, couldnt have been further from reality. 'Erm, not at all, were fine', I tried. She estabslihed I have been there for less than an hour and on we went, no charge...I wonder how often they try that on and people just pay up? I am suspicious of it.

Thanks for all the advice, it really was a piece of cake. And the sights too, those planes are ridiculous. How? How do they fly? It baffles me.

Kind regards,

Michael.

Good result!

But - goes to show that airports are intent on gouging passengers and services.

Al

Most airports have something silmilar: -

Luton has 2 hours free in long stay. Wait there until get call then drive to pick-up point. This has a £3(?) charge but preferable to hassle of shuttles.