closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: AVS4YOU software licence most unfair

AVS4YOU software licence most unfair

I purchased the AVS4YOU audio and video editing software and installed it on the new computer I set up last week. Entered the activation key and it said that I had installed the software on more than one computer and I must purchase another licence. I tried to explain that the software was only installed on a single computer and that I was installing on a replacement computer, not an additional computer but they still say that I have to buy another licence. Is this normal?

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

It's quite common to allow activation on only 1 PC at a time. It is unusual to provide no mechanism to deactivate a license then transfer it to a new computer.

When did you purchase the initial licence?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Journeyman
    Certainly not normal but, it is in there support pages:

I am planning to purchase a new computer soon. Shall I be able to transfer the license from my old computer to the new one?

One license can be activated only on one computer, so if you change your PC you will need to buy an additional license.

Craftsman
    Microsoft used to do it (maybe still do?) with pre-installed copies of Windows - the license was tied to the PC and couldn't be transferred (something about the PC manufacturer buying the license at a discounted price). I've personally never come across an application that couldn't have the license transferred to a replacement machine, although I guess it's up to the vendor to set the license conditions. It does seem a bit draconian though, particularly if the software phones home at startup to verify the license - they would soon know if it was being used on more than one machine.

Quote Originally Posted by scooobydont View Post
    Certainly not normal but, it is in there support pages:

I am planning to purchase a new computer soon. Shall I be able to transfer the license from my old computer to the new one?

One license can be activated only on one computer, so if you change your PC you will need to buy an additional license.
    It's in there now but I'm pretty sure it wasn't there in 2010, when I bought it.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

7 years is a long time... I understand the frustration out of principle but if you need it professionally am I wrong to think it will cost you about 50 quids?

Just to be clear, if it was me I'd do anything to find a different product that does the same rather than give them money but if this is not an option I'd take my medicine

I liken it to those microbrands who say that the watch guarantee is only with the original purchaser. Sell it after 3 months and there's no guarantee.

Eddie

I don't know what AVS4YOU does exactly but I've been using PowerDirector for video and it is brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by StackH View Post
    Microsoft used to do it (maybe still do?) with pre-installed copies of Windows - the license was tied to the PC and couldn't be transferred (something about the PC manufacturer buying the license at a discounted price). I've personally never come across an application that couldn't have the license transferred to a replacement machine, although I guess it's up to the vendor to set the license conditions. It does seem a bit draconian though, particularly if the software phones home at startup to verify the license - they would soon know if it was being used on more than one machine.
    Back in my days in IT (thankfully behind me now) this was a common restriction on OEM software, i.e. it couldn't be transferred to another PC. This wasn't the case with software bought after the event, but I suppose money-grabbing application companies could write this into their T&C's - let's face it, who reads these anyway. I used to have to sometimes, and trust me it's a thankless task.

Unless there's some business critical reason to keep the software, I'd vote with your feet as there's lots of alternative packages out there. The trouble is, once one company adopts a licence condition and the suckers, sorry users, buy in, then all the others will follow. Sorry.

Cheers,

Plug

I'd also drop any company that put a mugshot like that up as a support engineer. Get a shave, "Carl", and put a shirt and tie on if you want look like a professional..

Cheers,

Plug

£33.60 here for unlimited
    https://shopper.mycommerce.com/checkout/cart/view
    I feel it is an awful way to conduct business as the pc industry makes massive bounds in performance in very quick time , i would presume you would need all the power theses advances give.