closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beer

Master
    Blog Entries
    Another one of my favourites is a local micro brewery in Brownhills West Midlands and it's called Backyard Blonde

I recommend my mate Jim's brewery: Alechemy.

(Probably only available in Scotland, although it was at the GBBF last year)

We did a PhD in the same group and I can vouch for his microbiology skills!

Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    I thought I was going mad. Doom Bar HAS changed. The bastards.
    It definitely has since its been brewed in the midlands for supermarket consumption. The real deal in Cornwall is still nice

Quote Originally Posted by Thom4711 View Post
    Timothy Taylor Landlord is pretty good too!
    One of the best for me.

I also brew my own beer, and it's one I enjoy replicating as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery Scott View Post
    BrewDog started as one super rich kid and his mate with a masters in brewing and distilling with 200k cash.

Don't believe marketing.
    Also, their beers all pretty much suck. There are much better choices out there, and from breweries that aren't as gimmicky.

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    Also, their beers all pretty much suck. There are much better choices out there, and from breweries that aren't as gimmicky.
    Totally agree with this, obviously its personal taste but I find their stuff over priced and gimmicky

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    Totally agree with this, obviously its personal taste but I find their stuff over priced and gimmicky
    I'd agree in general. Although, a special version of squid assassin, which was matured in old whiskey barrels was outstanding. Most of their stuff is junk.

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    Somebody say "ale?"

This California IPA ("Torpedo") is rated by The Bros as "World Class." I always ask for Sierra Nevada!

Yep - the torpedo is amazing but not always easy to get hold of. And at 7%+ not for school nights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mikiejack View Post
    I'd agree in general. Although, a special version of squid assassin, which was matured in old whiskey barrels was outstanding. Most of their stuff is junk.
    Is that the stuff thats something like 15% and only sold in third of a pint

It's very fashionable to bash any micro brewery that becomes successful. I happen to very much enjoy a number of Brewdog's beers, and think they've done great things for the craft beer market in the UK. Currently working my way (slowly) through a six pack of Jack Hammer - at 7.2% it's quite a beer.

It's very fashionable to bash any micro brewery that becomes successful. I happen to very much enjoy a number of Brewdog's beers, and think they've done great things for the craft beer market in the UK. Currently working my way (slowly) through a six pack of Jack Hammer - at 7.2% it's quite a beer.
    I don't have any problem with them being successful, it's just that the beers tend to taste like stale cardboard. Also, I find it a bit hypocritical of them to engage in fighting-The-Man posturing while being about as corporate as it gets short of InBev, and simultaneously doing "punk" crowdfunding BS while taking £200 million from PBR's investors.

There are so many better — and legitimate — craft beers out there that I don't ever feel the need to buy their products.

I cannot in good conscience drink Fullers after what they did to Gales brewery of Horndean.

As a general rule, I find the real ale in and from London a pale (no pun intended) substitute for more Northern ales, two of my favourites being Skipton brewery and Ilkley brewery - the latter of which I used to live close by. Sad times.

But to offer some perspective, I held a subscription to this site for a year and enjoyed a great variety of proper ales;

https://honestbrew.co.uk

Master
    I'm from Somerset and beerwise would drink Butcombe Gold till the cows come home.

scooter

Craftsman
    simultaneously doing "punk" crowdfunding BS while taking £200 million from PBR's investors.
    TSG investors have put in a deal worth £213 million. 100m being invested into the company and 113m to buy shares in the company, which brewdog don't won't to sell.

As for the crowdfunding BS, don't feel sorry for us! If we sell our shares, which we won't, we would have returns of 500%. As for the original investors they're looking at returns of 2,800%

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    I'm from Somerset and beerwise would drink Butcombe Gold till the cows come home.

scooter
    Always raises a smile; "a pint of butt cum please landlord!"

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_G View Post
    TSG investors have put in a deal worth £213 million. 100m being invested into the company and 113m to buy shares in the company, which brewdog don't won't to sell.

As for the crowdfunding BS, don't feel sorry for us! If we sell our shares, which we won't, we would have returns of 500%. As for the original investors they're looking at returns of 2,800%
    I just prefer IPAs that actually taste good.

I just prefer IPAs that actually taste good.
    I bet in a blind tasting you'd like some of them.

Master
    Blog Entries

One of the top beers around imo. Can be hard to get though

Master
    Not a big drinker. Nearly finished my second bottle of Birra Morreti, heavy night for me!

Brew dog offer some nice beers IMO. 5am Saint and Elvis Juice are probably my favourites.

I like my Goose Island IPA and used to LOVE black sheep, not had it in years.

Yorkshire Blonde by Saltaire Brewery is a beauty also

Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post

Yorkshire Blonde by Saltaire Brewery is a beauty also
    Yes, yes and thrice yes.

Used to go to a pretty good pub down a bit from Horsforth, the Abbey Inn, could get a good pint there. Nice on a sunny day.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_G View Post

Whats the mechanism for selling shares in a non-quoted company? I always viewed it more of a club subscription fee as opposed to a normal investment.

I forgot to give a mention to the Eden Brewery.
    Their Rocket IPA and Hop Rocket are absolutely beautiful.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystery Scott View Post
    Whats the mechanism for selling shares in a non-quoted company? I always viewed it more of a club subscription fee as opposed to a normal investment.
    You can't sell them when you want, there's specific times when new investment comes in that gives you the opportunity to sell them.

So you're not far wrong from it being a club subscription, you get discount booze and a good knees up at the Agm once a year!

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    Is that the stuff thats something like 15% and only sold in third of a pint
    It was 9%, so still rather potent, but ok in a 330ml bottle.

My two favourites so far this year! Might need a visit to the off licence to stock up for this afternoon if the weather holds...beer and BBQ. Been really enjoying DIPA's at the moment (Potentially a bit too much).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

^
    Yes — now we're talking!

Lervig's aptly-named Tasty Juice is a fantastic beer; nice to see that you found one. I haven't had the pleasure of trying Cloudwater's v13, but I have no doubt that it's also a superior brew.

Grabbed them both in York, the Cloudwater was the last one in the shop and I had to snatch it up. They had quite a few of the Tasty Juice and I should have got more.

Jever

Just wanted to say... Jever....

What a fantastic refreshing beer/pilsner. Very crisp, with a sort of herb/floral note in the background.

Excellent...

I started out enjoying them, but now find them over the top..........

Too 'extreme' in their flavours.

Now a fan of Shipyard, Iconic IPAs in bottles, but will seek out Torpedo since it is so heavily-recommended.

At the risk of much derision - I still enjoy a bottle of Bass (around £1.00 from Asda).............

Cloudwater are on fire at the moment. Can't recall having a dud from them this year.

Beavertown are always reliable, as are Magic Rock, Weird Beard and Buxton.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Had a can of this last night....very tasty. At 6.2% it really didn't taste as strong as I expected it to.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    ^ M&S?
    No...a pub.

Blog Entries
    Just back from a week in MN drinking Surly Furious.

Well worth seeking out.

z

Craftsman
    Beavertown - Neck Oil is a great session IPA, Magic Rock - High Wire as well.

Brewdog as mentioned is nice too. All very pale but worth ago. Doombar isn't too bad either which is darker. Another favourite is Waggledance, brewed with honey

Quote Originally Posted by Bendigits View Post
    Grabbed them both in York, the Cloudwater was the last one in the shop and I had to snatch it up. They had quite a few of the Tasty Juice and I should have got more.
    Nice. They had both at the beer festival in Copenhagen this May, and they were quality.

Fallen brewery don't seem to be able to make a bad beer.

Chew chew and local motive being two personal favorites.

The bad beer co out of Yorkshire make some nice ones too. Available in asda up here. Loving the milk stout

Recently had a peanut butter milk stout from tailgate brewery in Tennessee and it was fantastic
    Last edited by acg; 30th July 2017 at 00:39.

Journeyman
    Innis & Gunn

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post

London Pride is still my favourite but any recommendations for an relative newbe?
    Try a London Porter and you won't bother with Pride again.

Rochefort 10 to experience a good Belgian beer.

Had a few of these last night, very nice :-

Craftsman
    Old crafty hen is nice, as is Riggwelter and Shepherd Neame 1698. All 3 of the ones I've listed are very different, but (IMHO) the variety in the ale world is more vast than lager.