closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beer

Craftsman

Beer

I'll start by saying I'm not a big drinker. Lots of it doesn't agree with me and as I get older my hangovers get longer, I'm probably not alone.
    For the last 30 years I've been living a lie. I've been drinking bottles of beer (Becks,Bud etc) at the pub, parties, events and BBQ's and not really enjoying it. I have a few boys nights out during the year which involves a few beers, shorts and shots but none of my crowd drink bitter or ale.

Last year I saw the light and whilst in a pub in Shepherds Bush, just before a QPR game, for some reason (a hangover I think) I ordered an ale. This ale was Fullers London Pride and it was a revelation to me. I'm now a convert and am busy trying different types. We recently made some new friends that live in Devon and have visited them a couple of times recently and me and my new mate always sample the local stuff when out. Doombar is a nice one and Otter is another.

London Pride is still my favourite but any recommendations for an relative newbe?

Brewdog Punk IPA
    not a session beer, but great for a tipple.

Castle Rock - Harvest Pale

Adnams Ghost Ship

Hobgoblin Gold

Are my three 'standard' preferences. Any pub with any of these on draft (and possibly Doombar) gives me a safety net - knowing I can try whatever else they have on before falling back to an old faithful that I'd happily drink all evening.

Depends what you like really though. I used to drink London Pride, Pedigree, Timothy Taylors Landlord etc as first choice, but in more recent times I prefer a hoppier, usually paler ale.

ooh, you're in for a treat

Doom is my favourite at the moment, but like wines it makes sense to identify the (in this case) brewery and try a few of their other selections. I had a nice pint of Fullers Olivers Island yesterday- similar to Pride.

Other favourites of mine are Gem and Barnsey (both Bath Ales) and another west country based brewery: Butcombe. Like Newcastle Brown as well.

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    I'll start by saying I'm not a big drinker. Lots of it doesn't agree with me and as I get older my hangovers get longer, I'm probably not alone.
    For the last 30 years I've been living a lie. I've been drinking bottles of beer (Becks,Bud etc) at the pub, parties, events and BBQ's and not really enjoying it. I have a few boys nights out during the year which involves a few beers, shorts and shots but none of my crowd drink bitter or ale.

Last year I saw the light and whilst in a pub in Shepherds Bush, just before a QPR game, for some reason (a hangover I think) I ordered an ale. This ale was Fullers London Pride and it was a revelation to me. I'm now a convert and am busy trying different types. We recently made some new friends that live in Devon and have visited them a couple of times recently and me and my new mate always sample the local stuff when out. Doombar is a nice one and Otter is another.

London Pride is still my favourite but any recommendations for an relative newbe?
    Where do you live? I work in the industry so might be able to direct you to some decent places to sample many many beers...it's a dangerous game.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

To me the taste of Doombar has changed over the past 5 years. Since Molson Coors bought the company it seems to be more bitter (not in a good way) than it used to. I would think this is in part due to the upscale in the brewing operation to cater for the larger demand, with more concentrated hop pellets and oils used in differing ratios than before.

Craftsman
    Lots of choice out there TBH; pale ales, IPA's, ruby ales, craft beers, dark ales, wheat beers, black beers. Then you have seasonal ales and small batches.

I would head to your local supermarket with £20 and get 12 of the "3 for £5" bottles ales. Tesco's typically do this offer and M&S too.

Ales are a bit like wines; you need to find you preference and flavour. I personally like the following: -
    Mad Goose (Purity is my local brewery)
    Tribute (cask)
    Atlantic (bottled)
    Punk IPA (tap)
    Proper Job
    Black Sheep
    Broadside Ale (lovely with steak)
    There are literally thousands to choose from

Ales are becoming really trendy now with micro brewery's and small batch breweries croping up everywhere. BrewDog started off as a couple of guys in their shed brewing beer for their mates, their trading profit hit £5.5m the other year!

Try your local wine store and ask them for advice based on your tastes. Sad as it may seam but Wetherspoons do an excellent selection of Ales and they cost peanuts...just don't let your mates see you in their.

Do a brewery tour too - we were in Cornwall over Easter and me and the other half went to St. Austell brewery and it was fascinating. You really get an appreciation as to how beer is brewed and it's crazy that it's pretty much the same process (malt, hops, water, yeast in a temperature controlled environment) if you make home-brew in your shed or produce 10k bottles a day in a brewery.

Great marketing slogan from Wychwood is "What's the matter Lagerboy, afraid you might taste something?".

What a world to delve into, there's so much choice.

I'd narrow down what you're looking for - personally I like IPA and Blonde's. Every bar and brewery does them so it's just a matter of seeing what available and trying it.

I usually pick one from a local brewery depending on where I am, even the Supermarkets stock a good selection these days. We have an annual Cornwall holiday and there's plenty to choose from down there, even from Sharp's Brewery which brew Doombar.

Enjoy the journey!

Dartmoor breweries "Jail ale"
    HSB
    Hop back summer lightning
    Abbot ale
    Bishops finger

Gone right off Doom bar as someone above noted-it's different from the old one

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Dartmoor breweries "Jail ale"
    HSB
    Hop back summer lightning
    Abbot ale
    Bishops finger

Gone right off Doom bar as someone above noted-it's different from the old one
    I thought I was going mad. Doom Bar HAS changed. The bastards.

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    To me the taste of Doombar has changed over the past 5 years. Since Molson Coors bought the company it seems to be more bitter (not in a good way) than it used to. I would think this is in part due to the upscale in the brewing operation to cater for the larger demand, with more concentrated hop pellets and oils used in differing ratios than before.
    It's also due to the high gravity brewing - so it's brewed at something like 1.5x sales strength and then diluted.

The bottles are made in Burton and Warrington, the casks aren't really cash beer anymore as they're pre carbonated too.

It's all a bit of a joke as it used to be a really interesting brewery but now it's a numbers game.

Quote Originally Posted by gavsw20 View Post

Ales are becoming really trendy now with micro brewery's and small batch breweries croping up everywhere. BrewDog started off as a couple of guys in their shed brewing beer for their mates, their trading profit hit £5.5m the other year!

BrewDog started as one super rich kid and his mate with a masters in brewing and distilling with 200k cash.

Don't believe marketing.

There are literally thousands to choose from.
    Enjoy discovering as many as possible, OP.

I'm presently enjoying the delights of Pamela and Raquel.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery Scott View Post
    It's also due to the high gravity brewing - so it's brewed at something like 1.5x sales strength and then diluted.

The bottles are made in Burton and Warrington, the casks aren't really cash beer anymore as they're pre carbonated too.

It's all a bit of a joke as it used to be a really interesting brewery but now it's a numbers game.

We went to Padstow (just over the water from the Sharps brewery at Rock) a few years ago, even before the takeover the locals warned us that they were starting to cut corners there. Loads of people had resigned as they didn't like the new methods being used to meet demand. I couldn't taste the difference myself until about a year ago - I thought maybe it was an off batch, but every one I've had since then has been horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    We went to Padstow (just over the water from the Sharps brewery at Rock) a few years ago, even before the takeover the locals warned us that they were starting to cut corners there. Loads of people had resigned as they didn't like the new methods being used to meet demand. I couldn't taste the difference myself until about a year ago - I thought maybe it was an off batch, but every one I've had since then has been horrible.
    Yeah they went through a few owners from Bill Sharp (thus Sharps) to an MBO where the exit was always to sell to a big boy, to Molson Coors.

I'm a cynical sod when it comes to these things as I've been around the industry all my life.

Timothy Taylor Landlord is pretty good too!

Master
    I agree completely, the lager we've been served for years by the big brands is utter crap.

Hop House 13 is a nice one IMO, not sure how readily available it is in GB - it's a Guinness brand.

And whilst I mention it, a pint of Guinness is hard to beat IMO.

A lot of people never try Guinness, or don't like it at first but if you persevere it's fabulous. Much more taste than lager.

**PS I don't work for Guinness :-) **

There can be only one! Theakstons Old Peculiar

Courage Directors is one of my favourites. Glad it isn't just me who no longer likes Doom Bar.

Purity Beers are my absolute favourites.
    Someone has already mentioned Mad Goose, but they also make Longhorn IPA and my personal favourite: UBU.

Hook Norton: Hooky and Old Hooky are very drinkable too. Too many Old Hooky's and you won't forget it though!

Craftsman
    BrewDog started as one super rich kid and his mate with a masters in brewing and distilling with 200k cash.

Don't believe marketing.

Hah - fair enough.

Master
    Welcome to the world of proper beers!

My favourites come from the Oakham Brewery (http://www.oakhamales.com/home.html). Citra is particularly good.

Just keep trying something different in every pub you visit. You'll eventually stumble across something that hits the spot for you personally. Also try and get to the odd beer festival - depending where in the country you are of course, but I try to visit the Canterbury beer fest when time allows. It's a fantastic weekend in July

Virtually 100% of commercial beer is brewed high gravity and liquored down, the change in the taste of the bitterness is a change (intentional or otherwise) in the recipe somewhere. I was a brewer for nearly 30 years and worked for Molson Coors before and after they acquired Doombar (and Scottish and Newcastle before them) so I have first hand knowledge about how large conglomerate brewers manage to destroy once excellent provincial brands!

Directors, Proper Job and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale are my favourites. But seeing as you're on a slippery slope anyway, why not make your own? BrewUK's Way to Amarillo is the equal of anything I've ever bought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Virtually 100% of commercial beer is brewed high gravity and liquored down, the change in the taste of the bitterness is a change (intentional or otherwise) in the recipe somewhere. I was a brewer for nearly 30 years and worked for Molson Coors before and after they acquired Doombar (and Scottish and Newcastle before them) so I have first hand knowledge about how large conglomerate brewers manage to destroy once excellent provincial brands!
    Which MCBC? Tadcaster I assume judging by S&N. Or Burton? And if so, North or South? Just trying to work out if and when we would have met.

Doombar is great, but if you can seek out other stuff from the Sharps brewery, I think Wolf Rock, Sea Fury and Atlantic are great.

Supporting my local brewery I am very partial to anything by 'Bishop Nick', in particular 1555, Heresy and Ridley's Rite (Ridley's is a nod to their heritage before they were bought out by Greene King; who thankfully still produce the old Ridley's Old Bob.

Sticking to Cornwall, Proper Job is a nice pint too.

Old thumper isn't a bad pint from Ringwood.

Which MCBC? Tadcaster I assume judging by S&N. Or Burton? And if so, North or South? Just trying to work out if and when we would have met.
    Neither, I was at Alton which they closed a couple of years ago. I spent over 20 years at Berkshire brewery before they closed that!

I must admit as I get older I tend to drink Ale rather than Lager when I'm in a pub.

I still like a Becks or an Asahi and can live with a Peroni or a Stella, if pushed, and a Cobra or Kingfisher works well with a curry.

I tend to drink whatever's the local or 'special' ale (just to try it), with a fall back of Doombar.

In the summer Fullers Honeydew is a lovely fresh alternative to a lager.

That said, I probably drink in a pub once a fortnight...

At home, it's usually Becks or my weekly Weissbier!

M
    Last edited by snowman; 28th April 2017 at 12:09.

Neither, I was at Alton which they closed a couple of years ago. I spent over 20 years at Berkshire brewery before they closed that!
    Maybe not then. I only ever went to Alton for a routing job in the kegging hall and Berkshire to do service work when I was 18 I think. That does put you in my IBD region though!

I'm much like the OP. I love real/craft ale but am not a big (volume) drinker. I like the odd glass of wine but don't like spirits.

Being Warwickshire-based, Purity is my local micro-brewer although they are now brewing ~ 1m pints per year so not small any more. I can recommend the tour as a great Saturday morning out. Close by is Church Farm Brewery in Hampton Magna which also offers tours.

Off the top of my head, favourites of mine:
    All of the Purity range with Mad Goose and Longhorn IPA the highlights (though Longhorn is a bit strong)
    The Shipyard ales (Marston's)
    Tribute
    Aldi's Wild Bill's IPA (brewed by Marston's) at £1.19 a bottle
    Aldi's Mud City Stout (brewed by Sadler's)
    Adnam's Ghost Ship
    Hop Back Summer Lightning
    Hogs Back TEA
    Salopian Kashmir

For those that like a bargain, I find Aldi great value (though limited range and many are their own label but still good). Tesco still does it's 4 for £6 deal on bottled ales so approx £1.50 a pint. Costco also does boxes and crates which, when on offer, can work out at £1 ish a bottle. The one in Coventry regularly has Badger, Marston's, Wychwood and Greene King boxes on offer.

Craftsman
    Thanks, plenty to be getting on with!
    I think the "try the local stuff first" rule is the way to go when out and about and I'll look out for some of your suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    There can be only one! Theakstons Old Peculiar
    Great season beer....or not

I love ale, my biggest tip is just try any local one when you`re out and about. Favorites of mine

Bass (granddad was quality controller)
    Marston pedigree
    Most hooky ales
    Theakstons
    Hobgoblin
    Innis and gunn do a couple of nice ones now as well.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post

Fullers ESB is far better one of my all time best ales.

On draft - my all-time favourite is an American IPA - "Devils Backbone"

Absolutely stunning flavour.

Al

Master
    I like a few Brewdog beers, Oakham Ales, Ringwood and a few American IPA's- also Thwaites do some interesting seasonal beers-
    As mentioned Doombar has changed and isn't the beer it was. Also can't get on with London Pride

Master
    Another one for Seirra Nevada Pale Ale.
    Quite like Anchor Steam too.

St Peter's brewery do some good stuff. They have a nice tiny pub "The Jerusalem" in Clerkenwell

My current top 2 are Fallen Grapevine and Fallen Chew Chew milk stout.

I've got a Tiny Rebel Cwtch (also highly recommend) home brew kit I need to start too

Master
    For the last few years I've been drinking bottled lager in the summer and Butcombe Original in the winter. I have started drinking Butcombe Gold as it is somewhere in the middle.

Blog Entries
    So many to choose from!!!

Brewdog IPA is my home brew of choice

Golden, hoppy and around 4.2% is my preferred combination

Abbeydale is amazing...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    My favourite, first tried it about 10 years ago whilst in California, great that it's available from supermarkets and on tap over here now

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
    Brewdog Punk IPA
    not a session beer, but great for a tipple.
    Brewdog have got quite a few that I enjoy, dependent on mood the Punk IPA is my pick of the lot. Elvis Juice is also a favourite of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazytrain View Post

Adnams Ghost Ship
    I have a pint of this every Wednesday after playing badminton...

I would head to your local supermarket with £20 and get 12 of the "3 for £5" bottles ales. Tesco's typically do this offer and M&S too.

Proper Job
    Good advice ref the supermarket deals, sadly Tesco aren't running their 3 for £5 at the moment though Asda sometimes run a similar deal. Proper Job has been my go-to summer ale for a couple of years - love the stuff, especially ice cold from the fridge.

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post

Hop House 13 is a nice one IMO, not sure how readily available it is in GB - it's a Guinness brand.
    It's available in Tesco stores, I bought some today! Very much like Proper Job IMO but not quite as intense a flavour.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post

My favourites come from the Oakham Brewery (http://www.oakhamales.com/home.html). Citra is particularly good.
    Citra is great, though you've really got to be in the mood for it. A local pub where I used to live had it on tap.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesianbriggs View Post
    ....Sierra Nevada Pale Ale are my favourites.
    If you like that then give Australian brewer Coopers a go, their green labelled pale ale is very moreish.

Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    Doombar is great, but if you can seek out other stuff from the Sharps brewery, I think Wolf Rock, Sea Fury and Atlantic are great.
    As has already been said, Doombar isn't what it was unfortunately, Wolf Rock is probably the best beer from Sharps IMO.

Yumma - I see by your avatar that you're in Chelmsford, I take it that you've been to the summer and winter beer festivals? Got to think it a little funny knowing that the winter festival is held at KEGS The Ale House, Original Plough and The Hop House are the best drinking establishments in town, The Woolpack also serves a good pint. Round Tower is the local brewery, they sell RT bottles to take away at The Hop House.

OP - get yourself a CAMRA membership, you'll get monthly newsletters and a shed load of discount vouchers to be used at Wetherspoons.
    Last edited by CardShark; 28th April 2017 at 14:03.

Ruddles County.

Last edited by itsgotournameonit; 28th April 2017 at 22:34.

Journeyman
    Anything brewed by Darkstar, Twickenham Ales, Surrey Hills Brewery, Tillingbourne, Brewdog...

Nothing buy Fullers, Youngs or other mainstream brewery's with a few exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    My favourite, first tried it about 10 years ago whilst in California, great that it's available from supermarkets and on tap over here now
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    Quite like Anchor Steam too.

St Peter's brewery do some good stuff. They have a nice tiny pub "The Jerusalem" in Clerkenwell
    If you like Sierra Nevada, try Kona Brewing Co's Big Wave and Longboard . Available in M&S food stores. I spend quite a bit of time in the US with my wife's family and the local supermarket, Publix, has a great range of craft ales. These were among my favourites on our last trip there.

Craftsman
    So many great styles out there to try .Ipa , Dipa , Saison , Sours , Porters , wheatbeers ,triples, try lots of different ones and see what takes your fancy .Lots of these beers are stronger than traditional british cask ales, but they are not meant to be drunk by the pint ,its all about quality over quantity

Sent from my Moto G (4) using TZ-UK mobile app

"Drink doesn't agree with me, buy I do enjoy the argument "

Somebody say "ale?"

This California IPA ("Torpedo") is rated by The Bros as "World Class." I always ask for Sierra Nevada!

Last edited by pacifichrono; 28th April 2017 at 17:49.

Craftsman
    Another vote for brewdog, a lot of different good beers, though I may be biased (shareholder). Innis & Gunn is also very good, not sure if you get it south of the border though.

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    Somebody say "ale?"

This California IPA ("Torpedo") is rated by The Bros as "World Class." I always ask for Sierra Nevada!

Looks a bit too cold to me :-)

Tonight's choices

Both brewed just down the road at the Tennant's brewery. (Well next to in the case of the can)

Wouldn't normally drink anything from Tennant's but the girl doing the promotion in tesco was very pretty.

First impressions are meh.

Not bad but nothing worth buying again

Drygate is part Williams brothers and should be a lot nicer

I find Aldi up here to have a great selection of ales and cheap to.

Is it the same down south?