closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Back on the Bike...but which?

Master
    I've got an MT07, it ticks all your boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery Scott View Post
    Has anyone had a crack on a Triumph Street Triple 675?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    the street triple is probably the best in its class and hold their money well , no back ache (upright riding position ) and will give bigger bikes a run for the money -worth a test ride if you have not tried one - go for the R model which has upgraded suspension as well as a few other tweaks and is a much better ride than the standard model (which is good enough regardless for most people ).

Master
    So 56 replies all great bikes but I dont sense you are nearer deciding. I think you need to consider 3 things
    1) what kind of bike do I want to go down to the "new garage" and just look at!

2) why consider falling off when making a selection, any bike will pick up costs due to grazed heads and split plastics

3) If its a bridge bike, buy something really popular so you can wash your face when its time to sell

When I review the above , if it was me and I really wanted an R9t ( by the way As a 29" shortarse, I have sat on them and they feel brill) I would do what 80% of bikers are doing and go PCP on a new one. Buy good garage security and have a great summer.

Craftsman

Yes I had one stolen this week. Great bike

I also have mt07 which is also great. Triumph is way better built however I love the sound and torque of the mt07 twin with an akra on. Mt07 wins for town riding for me.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    So 56 replies all great bikes but I dont sense you are nearer deciding. I think you need to consider 3 things
    1) what kind of bike do I want to go down to the "new garage" and just look at!

2) why consider falling off when making a selection, any bike will pick up costs due to grazed heads and split plastics

3) If its a bridge bike, buy something really popular so you can wash your face when its time to sell

When I review the above , if it was me and I really wanted an R9t ( by the way As a 29" shortarse, I have sat on them and they feel brill) I would do what 80% of bikers are doing and go PCP on a new one. Buy good garage security and have a great summer.
    I'm making a list of bikes to test ride at the moment, without which I can't make a decision. Don't worry I am taking this onboard, but having ridden for a few years beforehand I'm under no illusions about having to test ride.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by jimyu View Post
    Yes I had one stolen this week. Great bike

I also have mt07 which is also great. Triumph is way better built however I love the sound and torque of the mt07 twin with an akra on. Mt07 wins for town riding for me.
    Wow that's rubbish on the theft! Do you mind describing the circumstances and if you used chains, disc locks etc? Again, the anti theft devices have moved on a lot since I last rode and this time I'm in the position to have something nickable.

Craftsman
    Wow that's rubbish on the theft! Do you mind describing the circumstances and if you used chains, disc locks etc? Again, the anti theft devices have moved on a lot since I last rode and this time I'm in the position to have something nickable.

It was taken from my garage. No chains unfortunately, mt07 was chained and blocking it but they got it out. In broad daylight

Quote Originally Posted by jimyu View Post
    It was taken from my garage. No chains unfortunately, mt07 was chained and blocking it but they got it out. In broad daylight
    Wow that's terrible. I hope the insurance goes smoothly at least. Broad daylight...honestly where do these thieves get the balls?! I know the police are under staffed but it comes to something when the random appearance of Tom Hardy is your best hope of catching the little b'stards!

I bought a new facelift model 2014 Street Triple R for my wife, three years ago.

She had ridden a K1200R BMW for many years, but arthritis in both shoulders and a recurring back injury made it impractical as a long-term ride.
    The upside is that I inherited it :)

The StR is great fun, and chucks around like a mini-moped, with 50+ mpg.

The R is worth the premium over the base model - the adjustable suspension and Brembo radials do make a significant difference if you ride the bike hard, which she does.

The build quality is lack-lustre, I can see that the frame, alloy parts and bolts need frequent application of ACF-50 before winter storage.
    Servicing at main dealers is expensive, particularly the 12,000 and 24,000 service which includes tappet clearance checks.

The body coloured flyscreen and dark screen from the Speed Triple are common accessories, and make the ride much nicer at motorway speeds.

There are plenty out there, a lot of them ragged or stolen/Cat C/D - make sure that it has a solid provenance and service history.

If you haven't already joined, take a loot at the Street Triple forum - www.street-triple.co.uk
    Last edited by W124; 30th April 2017 at 14:22.

Master
    I have a Street Triple, one of the first (I pre-ordered).

It's a fabulous bike and IMHO perfect for an inexperienced rider (providing they are responsible enough to accept they are pretty quick!). The reason I say that is because the way they are tuned the engine is quite grunty so it is very forgiving, it will pull from 3mph in 6th quite happily. Also very light and agile. TBH I think it's almost the perfect real-world bike assuming you're not wanting to tour large distances.

Granted I don't use it massively, but it has been trouble free and looks as good as new when cleaned up.

It's not an R as they didn't exist when I bought it and I have no regrets about that. I suspect for most normal mortals riding on UK roads the R isn't really necessary. That said if the R had been available when I bought mine would I have gone for it? Of course!

Master

Yep, that's what you want.
    Had mine for a few years and it's faultless. Forget all that silly stuff.

On the subject of Street Triples my mate has the previous incarnation which he's supercharged, it now makes 212bhp at the rear wheel. The photos are from a couple of weekends ago when I changed all the bodywork for him from a poorly applied carbon wrap to a Ltd edition Triumph set which I'm told was originally on a run of about 20 bikes. The bike is amazingly rideable and absolutely brutal when the throttle is pinned back, the biggest compliment I can give it is it rides like a factory bike in as much as it never feels strained or like something's going to go pop!

Not really relevant but I thought I'd share

That'll be the speed triple rather than the 675 Street Triple.

Apart from that...awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    That'll be the speed triple rather than the 675 Street Triple.

Apart from that...awesome!
    Apologies, my mistake!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    On the subject of Street Triples my mate has the previous incarnation which he's supercharged, it now makes 212bhp at the rear wheel. The photos are from a couple of weekends ago when I changed all the bodywork for him from a poorly applied carbon wrap to a Ltd edition Triumph set which I'm told was originally on a run of about 20 bikes. The bike is amazingly rideable and absolutely brutal when the throttle is pinned back, the biggest compliment I can give it is it rides like a factory bike in as much as it never feels strained or like something's going to go pop!

Not really relevant but I thought I'd share
    Nice...the other half is on the look out for a Speed Triple somewhere around the 2009/10 mark as prefers the round lights. Anything to look out for or be aware of?

I'm no expert on them but the rear wheel bearing needs to be good, especially as it's a single sided swing arm bike. The plastic tanks can degrade and start bubbling due to the ethanol content in petrol, once they go they can't be fixed. No matter how many times you rub down, fill and repaint it will come back so it's best to buy one where it hasn't started. The alternator and rectifier can fail but are pretty simple fixes and most people fit upgraded replacements. Starter sprags can fail which is expensive. Apart from these points they're pretty robust especially if cared for properly.

Craftsman
    Stick with British, got to be a Triumph Street Triple R. You will be grinning so much that you forget about all the other options ...

Craftsman

Gladius

I learned a couple of years back on a Suzuki sfv650 known as the gladius! I was so impressed I bought one new and still have it! Cost me around 5k new including a few personal touches and ABS!
    Sounds like it fits your criteria and the abs has saved me at least once!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 17bex; 2nd May 2017 at 22:23.

Another vote for an sv650. Had one for a couple of years before it was stolen. Cheap as chips, light, chuckable, and definitely fast enough for me on British roads. All the bits tarnish like mad, though. if you're small, a red Ducati Monster is a very viable option. Later model without carbs.

Craftsman
    Pic attached

Last edited by 17bex; 2nd May 2017 at 22:25.

That's one hell of a wheelie

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Master
    June edition of Bike Magazine, has a review of 100 best bikes in a 32 page pull out , more ideas and upto date prices

Cheers for all the great feedback!

I'm trying to sort a day off in the next couple of weeks (weekends are all weddings and visits by far flung friends and family, work is such that I can't plan days off easily at the moment) to go for some test rides of...:
    - SV650;
    - Gladius;
    - MT07;
    - ER-6N;
    - Monster (696 seems to make sense); and
    - Street Triple 675.

Trying to keep this on budget is going to be difficult!

I am taking all advice on board, so keep it coming.

Cheers all!

Ed

You forgot Hayabusa.

They are well suited to the short of leg and can be had within budget!

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    You forgot Hayabusa.

They are well suited to the short of leg and can be had within budget!
    Great for new riders along with the Honda Blackbird and Kawasaki ZZR1100/1200/1400!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Great for new riders along with the Honda Blackbird and Kawasaki ZZR1100/1200/1400!
    Not forgetting the Kawasaki H2 (new or old).

Actually the Hayabusa is a really easy bike to ride and as long as you don't open the throttle too far it's just nice and docile.

Made me look: only 123 'busa's on e-bay at the moment!

Quote Originally Posted by Hubs View Post
    Made me look: only 123 'busa's on e-bay at the moment!
    134 on Autotrader

To ride around country a and B roads. I'm not a v max guy, more sort of carving is what I used to enjoy.

Good answer dude.
    Forget the hipster/poser crap...it's now a no brainer.
    Street triple/Mt07 for the win.

Just a quick note to say thanks to all those who contributed. After a long while of attempting to search (work kept me stupidly busy for a month) I picked this up yesterday and have been blatting round the Cotswolds since. Comfort seat might be the next purchase though!

Congratulations - great choice :)

Ive been playing on my BMW twins around the TT course, but I'm sure anywhere in the sun is amazing on a new bike :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Great choice - I have the same.

All you need now is an akra exhaust! ...and maybe a tail tidy

Craftsman
    Looks great. And the Cotswolds are a great choice too