closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back on the Bike...but which?

Back on the Bike...but which?

After a few weeks of promises, we're finally getting a garage at our flat so I want another motorbike. Hadn't ridden for a few years but did a refresher a couple of weeks ago and then a few test rides of the usual low seated retros.

I had intended to get a bonneville, but then sense sort of kicked in so I've decided to get a different naked for a year, get used to riding again and then go for something I'm a more desirous of a bit later. BMW RnineT is one I keep drooling over lately.

Question is what to get....

I'd like to spend under £4,500, naked bike, c.75bhp or less, relatively low seat (under 800mm due to being a short short man), decent handling, nothing ancient and preferably should be Japanese due to maintenance costs. Not sure about ABS either.

What would you chaps recommend based on experience?

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Kawasaki W650?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

W800 then

Just go for the RnineT and take it easy.

There's little point in wasting a year on something you don't really want and then taking a bit of a bath when moving it on.

The advantage of that style of bikes are a very relaxed riding position, great manoeuvrability and an engine that incites you to a riding style based on low down torque instead of high rev power.

How about something from Voodoo Custom Cycles? A year ago Chinnock was selling a lovely Honda VT600 bobber made by them for £4,995

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-Bobber-(1994)

http://www.voodoo-cc.co.uk/

Craftsman
    BMW R1150R or might find a R1200R at that price. Then you will have the BMW experience if you go for a RNineT
    Last edited by Andrew S; 28th April 2017 at 09:50.

Master
    How about a Hornet? Bulletproof and easy to sell on......when you want to trade up...

Unconvinced you'd get an R NineT for anything like that money.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post

Unconvinced you'd get an R NineT for anything like that money.
    I think he meant getting a £4,500 bike for a year then move up to an R nine T or something of that ilk. It wouldn't surprise me if I'd read it wrong though!

Craftsman
    Sounds like your describing a Yamaha Mt07 to me! I have one and it's a great bike.

Make sure to get extra security on your garage. Mine got burgled a few days ago and they stole my mates triumph street triple r

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    I think he meant getting a £4,500 bike for a year then move up to an R nine T or something of that ilk. It wouldn't surprise me if I'd read it wrong though!
    Sorry for confusion, yes the latter. I just don't want to drop an expensive bike while I'm getting used to it again.

How about something from Voodoo Custom Cycles? A year ago Chinnock was selling a lovely Honda VT600 bobber made by them for £4,995

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-Bobber-(1994)

http://www.voodoo-cc.co.uk/
    Wow! If I was going for several bikes this would be in the garage!

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis9 View Post
    How about a Suzuki sv650 ? well known as a decent early 'bike, low seat height and good fun. I'd get the half faired version. Bit of character as well being a V-twin.
    This sounds a good option, have you had one?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Just go for the RnineT and take it easy.

There's little point in wasting a year on something you don't really want and then taking a bit of a bath when moving it on.
    ^^ This ^^ look into some PCP deals.
    Last edited by geran; 28th April 2017 at 12:36.

Master
    Re-read......you are right!

NineT is a lovely looking bike, but far too physically small for me; I'd look like a circus clown....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Not Japanese but have you considered trying a Ducati Scrambler 62? Should be able to pick up a low mileage/pre registered model for the money you are looking at.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBoy View Post
    Not Japanese but have you considered trying a Ducati Scrambler 62? Should be able to pick up a low mileage/pre registered model for the money you are looking at.
    Good call!

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery Scott View Post
    Sorry for confusion, yes the latter. I just don't want to drop an expensive bike while I'm getting used to it again.
    The previous owner of my R1200R owned it for a week before trading it in for an RnineT. He'd wanted an RnineT but bought the R1200 as it would be more pillion friendly, but the pillion wasn't interested so he immediately chopped it in for the bike he'd actually wanted in the first place.

During that week he dropped it on the cylinder head and that drop cost about a grand to put right

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    The previous owner of my R1200R owned it for a week before trading it in for an RnineT. He'd wanted an RnineT but bought the R1200 as it would be more pillion friendly, but the pillion wasn't interested so he immediately chopped it in for the bike he'd actually wanted in the first place.

During that week he dropped it on the cylinder head and that drop cost about a grand to put right
    This is exactly why I'm going for something where I can just fit bobbins.

Master
    Not a Jap bike....But what about a Ducati Monster? Nice low seat, great looks and different engine options and they sound great as well!

Mike

FINALLY noticed the multi quote button, apologies this took so long!

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    Not a Jap bike....But what about a Ducati Monster? Nice low seat, great looks and different engine options and they sound great as well!

Mike
    Definitely worth investigating, cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    My refresher was on a CB500 and it was fun, but I prefer the lower revving stuff at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBoy View Post
    I considered upping the budget and getting a second hand 800 scrambler, telling myself I would keep it longer, but I am trying to keep man maths out of it...trying!

Quote Originally Posted by geran View Post
    ^^ This ^^ look into some PCP deal.
    Money to buy isn't the issue; money to fix if I drop it (at a standstill if previous is anything to go by) is an issue.

Nice challenge!

I'd go for an old Harley Electraglide: the 1340 evo engine ones are worth nothing at the moment, so 4500 will get you in there with a perfectly rideable one. Engines will do hundreds of thousands, you look like you're riding a newer one as they all look the same, and they are amusing to ride.

The amusement needs some clarification though. They're not quick, the brakes require intelligent anticipation and the handling in sweepers at full speed is a throwback to 1980's japanese.

Having said that, it's quick enough and I manage to soon around Devon lanes on one with no great worry that it'll all go wrong.

Insurance is a mind numbing £100 a year.

I can fully understand if you ignore this!

Quote Originally Posted by Hubs View Post
    Nice challenge!

I'd go for an old Harley Electraglide: the 1340 evo engine ones are worth nothing at the moment, so 4500 will get you in there with a perfectly rideable one. Engines will do hundreds of thousands, you look like you're riding a newer one as they all look the same, and they are amusing to ride.

The amusement needs some clarification though. They're not quick, the brakes require intelligent anticipation and the handling in sweepers at full speed is a throwback to 1980's japanese.

Having said that, it's quick enough and I manage to soon around Devon lanes on one with no great worry that it'll all go wrong.

Insurance is a mind numbing £100 a year.

I can fully understand if you ignore this!
    Haha! When I was a kid a friend's grandparents toured Europe on an electraglide, coolest grandparents on earth!

Not one for quite yet but made me smile!

Quote Originally Posted by Hubs View Post
    Nice challenge!

I'd go for an old Harley Electraglide:
    That's not as daft as it might first appear.

They're very low so dropping one takes some doing and the way the stands lock in place helps too.

As long as you don't make the mistake of adding bling or getting the HD dealer to service it, you should get most if not all of your money back

Grand Master

Harley Street Glide.

Fit form And function all in one cool
    Looke

Instagram @blowersmayfair
    Last edited by 100thmonkey; 28th April 2017 at 12:54.
    RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Harley Street Glide.

Looke

However, they are mighty expensive. Plus, you need a couple of grand to add the tassels and branded clothing that all Harley owners wear....

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Harley Street Glide.

Looke

Not quite within budget though is it?

Journeyman
    Moto guzzi v7 or MT07 should both be available under budget.

What you're looking for is a nice 1978 CX500.

Grand Master
    Not quite within budget though is it?

Plenty of older HD out there for around £5k and most have been loved not ragged senseless
    RIAC

Master
    [QUOTE=Saint-Just;4331511]Kawasaki W650?[/
    Quote Originally Posted by Aramis9 View Post
    How about a Suzuki sv650 ? well known as a decent early 'bike, low seat height and good fun. I'd get the half faired version. Bit of character as well being a V-twin.
    Both good calls! The Kawa is really classy- a retro before there were retro's.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    Re-read......you are right!

NineT is a lovely looking bike, but far too physically small for me; I'd look like a circus clown....

Are you a giant?

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

At £4500 you could get a Harley sportster. But sticking to having a Japanese bike, I would second/ third the suggestion of a mt07.

Can't you get crash protection for the R9T?

Do you want a bike to ride, or park up outside a local coffee shop?

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Do you want a bike to ride, or park up outside a local coffee shop?
    To ride around country a and B roads. I'm not a v max guy, more sort of carving is what I used to enjoy.

I know what I'd do...

To ride around country a and B roads. I'm not a v max guy, more sort of carving is what I used to enjoy.

£10.99 from Tesco. Job done!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Master
    This sounds a good option, have you had one?

I used to have an SV650. Bought one for £2k with suspension that had seen better days. Replaced front and rear with parts from JHS racing in Bristol - preload adjustable progressive fork springs, new rear shock. Local garage did the fitting. The result cornered beautifully once the preload was dialled in, and with no dive at all on the brakes. Also threw in a K&N filter at the same time, which sounded great. The final touch was Pilot Roads, and I'd still spent under £2500. A very cheap and cheerful package but always fun to ride, caught 4s napping at the lights and handled beautifully. Stayed on it for years, before moving to a street triple just for a change, which admittedly is way sharper - but still, the SV was hard to fault, great fun and very easy to live with. Best of all, no one ever bothered to steal it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I know what I'd do...

Not for 4.5k though!

Quote Originally Posted by berin View Post
    Not for 4.5k though!
    Good point, but we're always doubling our budgets, right?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by samswatch View Post

Can't you get crash protection for the R9T?
    yes, but it would rather spoil the look, and there'll still be tears if it falls over. If the op think it likely he's going to hurl it to the floor something that looks good scuffed would be better,

Last edited by Dave+63; 29th April 2017 at 17:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    I used to have an SV650. Bought one for £2k with suspension that had seen better days. Replaced front and rear with parts from JHS racing in Bristol - preload adjustable progressive fork springs, new rear shock. Local garage did the fitting. The result cornered beautifully once the preload was dialled in, and with no dive at all on the brakes. Also threw in a K&N filter at the same time, which sounded great. The final touch was Pilot Roads, and I'd still spent under £2500. A very cheap and cheerful package but always fun to ride, caught 4s napping at the lights and handled beautifully. Stayed on it for years, before moving to a street triple just for a change, which admittedly is way sharper - but still, the SV was hard to fault, great fun and very easy to live with. Best of all, no one ever bothered to steal it.
    Thanks - great to have such an informed opinion and I'm going to move to Bristol at the end of the year so will have to check out JHS.

Quote Originally Posted by berin View Post
    yes, but it would rather spoil the look, and there'll still be tears if it falls over. If the op think it likely he's going to hurl it to the floor something that looks good scuffed would be better,
    Only ever dropped one bike, I was at a standstill and I just got it unbalanced and it fell so slowly. Terribly embarrassing but only cost me a couple of hundred to put right so I've always been aware of that since. And I would cry if I dropped something expensive!

I had completely forgotten about the 640 Duke! Cheers!

Thanks - great to have such an informed opinion and I'm going to move to Bristol at the end of the year so will have to check out JHS.

Only ever dropped one bike, I was at a standstill and I just got it unbalanced and it fell so slowly. Terribly embarrassing but only cost me a couple of hundred to put right so I've always been aware of that since. And I would cry if I dropped something expensive!

I had completely forgotten about the 640 Duke! Cheers!
    I'd probably go for a 450EXC and some super Moto wheels but the results will be similar.

Hooligan machine which would carry its scars well.

Master
    I once dropped my GSA at a petrol station in France. Bad enough, but I was between the bike and the pump trapped under the bike! The staff had to come out to help Mrs Berin lift the bike off me - v. red face....

The Nine T is pretty small, I really see how you drop it, TBH.

Master
    I'd probably go for a 450EXC and some super Moto wheels but the results will be similar.

Hooligan machine which would carry its scars well.
    15 hour service interval and no key make it a bit less practical than the Duke, but it would certainly be a hoot!

Has anyone had a crack on a Triumph Street Triple 675?

Has anyone had a crack on a Triumph Street Triple 675?

Not a street triple but I rode a Daytona 675; it was a fantastic bike but more suited to a racetrack than the roads.

It's probably got more power and certainly less weight than the BMW so in many respects a step up performance wise rather than something to gain experience on.

Not a street triple but I rode a Daytona 675; it was a fantastic bike but more suited to a racetrack than the roads.

It's probably got more power and certainly less weight than the BMW so in many respects a step up performance wise rather than something to gain experience on.
    Thanks, I assumed this was the case but after noticing a couple yesterday thought it was worth an ask.

Looks like an sv, gladius, er6 or similar then!