closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: CCTV - Install advice

Master

CCTV - Install advice

Not that I live in a high crime area ... but more for extra piece of mind I've bought a couple of CCTV cameras to monitor access points front and rear.

My view is CCTV would act as a deterrent and is best installed in plain sight rather than covertly.
    - Yes mindless thugs will wear hoodies or whatever ... but I'm looking to CCTV as a visual deterrent rather than my only means of home security.

I'm interested to get the view of others.

I bought these .. and they seem pretty decent with Wifi, high res, IR, motion detection and a bunch of other features I'm yet to work out.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Camera-Ph...rest+ip+camera

Most importantly - they connect to my Synology NAS so no costs to store all the media.

Ignore me, teach me to read your post properly.

I looked into this type but in the end for simplicity went with an Arlo setup
    Last edited by pitbull666; 27th April 2017 at 22:15.

I've got CCTV , I have a hikvison system. My cameras are easily seen from the road. I want them to act as a deterrent as well as catch any potential thieves .
    Pleased with the system, very clear and easy to use.

Journeyman
    Had cctv installed when I refurbished my house. Seemed a bit of an extravagance at the time, but would recommend it. I can view it on my phone, and on my tv. Alongside the alarm, I think it's a decent deterrent, and feel safer. It came in particularly useful when someone hit my wife's parked car outside the house (one of the few times she didn't park it in the drive), and drove off. Identified the car and it was the school run time, so took a punt and went to the school next day at home time, and found the bugger. Informed him I had a witness and recording on cctv and photographed the damage on his car. Was sorted quickly.

Master
    I've recently done the same. A few garages on our road were broken in to recently and ours isn't visible from the house so I thought it would be a good deterrent. I bought a Reolink RLC411-WS which is very good but quite expensive. I've since added a couple of cheap cameras off eBay to cover other areas. One was a pain as it needed Windows to set up the wifi and I only have Apple so had to borrow a laptop. Then I got this one which is excellent. I wish I'd just bought three of these in the first place. All connect to my Qnap NAS for recording.

I installed a cheapish maplin set when we were having problems with neighbours teenage kids.

Wired so it was a faff to install with some drilling required but so far, has worked faultlessly. Hard drive recorder a must but motion detection is a pain, mainly spiders on the lense so lots of false alarms although pretty amusing to watch

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    I'm of the view that CCTV is not necessarily a deterrent as you have mentioned you can easily wear a hat or hoodie to cover your face and pop the window or door and they know that this gives them some time before someone will attend. I have the Arlo system which works OK and provides me with an element of piece of mind when I'm not at home and of a evening. Mine are somewhat hidden purely on the basis that i would like to gather as much evidence as possible.

In hindsight I should of used the funds towards a decent intruder alarm.

B

CCTV System

The company i work for has a CCTV division and its very high end and expensive !.

Talking to people in the know at our company they would all put HIK vision in for there own domestic use, its also very good for commercial applications too.

Rob

I reckon it's worth having both overt and covert CCTV.

When my garage was burgled recently they checked for CCTV etc a few days earlier and then on the night of the break in approached on the blind-side and pushed the camera to look elsewhere at the start of the job.

They were unaware of the other camera however that recorded the whole event (unfortunately a combination of gloves, scarves, baseball caps and hooded tops means they were not easily identified)

A couple of years ago, a would-be burglar spent about 5 minutes trying to get in before noticing one of the CCTV cameras. He got 2 years and 3 months.[*]

As noted up there, spiders love cameras so the cameras are often very busy at night. They can also be triggered by cats, foxes, birds, rats, rain etc etc, so any thoughts you may have of sending motion alerts to your phone for any outside cameras will soon go.

Cameras are conspicuous at night because of the red LEDs which may be good or bad depending on your point of view. To minimise the spider problem it's worth having the LEDs a little way away from the cameras, but AFAIK most won't do night vision without their own LEDs being on.

[*] just looked and he's gone down for another 3 years 8 months as of January
    http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/n...ered_by_judge/
    Last edited by Gyp; 28th April 2017 at 09:53.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post

As noted up there, spiders love cameras so the cameras are often very busy at night. They can also be triggered by cats, foxes, birds, rats, rain etc etc, so any thoughts you may have of sending motion alerts to your phone for any outside cameras will soon go.

Cameras are conspicuous at night because of the red LEDs which may be good or bad depending on your point of view. To minimise the spider problem it's worth having the LEDs a little way away from the cameras, but AFAIK most won't do night vision without their own LEDs being on.
    Hikvision, as noted above, is one of the Chinese brands that have taken over the professional CCTV market with their disruptive pricing (Dahua is the other). Below is a list that shows all of the different brands that use Hik or Dahua as an OEM for some of their line. The gear is quite good, and very inexpensive, especially when compared with the brands with which they compete.

Motion activated recording can be a problem, especially when used outdoors and when "video motion" is used. Software in the camera compares the image recorded to the previous frame, and if it sees a difference it is interpreted as motion and starts a recording. The best fix for this trouble is to install an outdoor capable motion sensor, and attach that to the camera as a motion trigger. No more false alarms, though the cost for such an install does go up.

Not all nighttime cameras use an IR light source to record in the dark. Some models use a low light intensifier, and collect available light across multiple frames (like some night vision gear). Unfortunately, the multiple exposure approach can lead to blurry motion on video. Further, there are some IR illuminators that have a cut filter applied, so that they don't show any visible light. These are often advertised as "no glow" devices, and are useful if a concealed solution is a must.

Hikvision Brands:

3xLogic
    ADJ
    Advidia
    Alibi (Supercircuits)
    Ameta
    Annke
    Armix
    Avue
    DMP
    Elisa Live
    Epcom
    Global Network Security
    GVS Security
    HES Supply
    Hills
    Hitosino
    Honeywell
    Hunt CCTV
    Interlogix (UTC)
    Invidtech
    Jlinks
    KT&C
    LaView
    LTS
    Nelly's Security
    Norelco SafeCam / Spider Vue / Invezia
    Northern (Tri-Ed)
    Oco
    Onix
    Power Technology
    Safire
    Security Camera Warehouse
    SecurityTronix
    Sentry CCTV
    Siqura / TKH
    SnapAV / Wirepath
    Swann
    Syscom
    Techpro
    Trendnet
    Vantage Security
    W Box
    Winic
    Xyclop

Dahua Brands:
    Advidia
    Amcrest
    Ameta
    Annke
    Bticino
    CCTV Security Pros
    DH Vision
    Dotix
    eLine
    FLIR / Lorex
    GSS
    Honeywell
    IC Realtime
    Impath Networks
    Inaxsys
    IntelBras
    Legrand
    Panasonic
    Q-See
    Riva
    SavvyTech
    Speco
    Techpro
    ToughDog
    Tyco Holis
    Tyco Illustra Essentials
    Ura
    Watchnet
    Winic

Quote Originally Posted by robmellor View Post
    The company i work for has a CCTV division and its very high end and expensive !.

Talking to people in the know at our company they would all put HIK vision in for there own domestic use, its also very good for commercial applications too.

Rob

My best mate runs is own install firm
    Only uses hikvision and doesn't rip people off for labour

He tells stories every day of folk who have had so called cheap jobs done that are just rubbish from ebay etc

He's ex bt trained telecoms etc from years ago and puts all of this kit into high end garages, boots opticians and punch taverns as well as alarms etc
    Does all domestic works too

Mainly covers midlands and Liverpool

If anybody wants his details pm me

He is check a trade regd too

Craftsman
    I agree with using Hikvision as that's the system I've got fitted.
    I let my NVR record motion detection as well as 24/7.
    I use line detection set up just in front of entrances to send to mobile as that gives less false alerts.