closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Is the Speedmaster 60th anniversary edition better made than the original CK2915-1?

Is the Speedmaster 60th anniversary edition better made than the original CK2915-1?

Leaving the price of an original CK2915-1 aside, is the modern re-edition a better made watch than it's predecessor?

The proportions are the exactly the same but are there differences in build quality? is the modern version made with better materials and a superior manufacturing process?

The calibre 321 is arguably a finer movement than the current calibre 1861, but the modern movement is arguably more robust.

I appreciate that there won't be many people on the planet who can directly compare them.

Master
    Seems a bit of a daft question since no re-editions are in the wild yet so how can one compare but assuming the new watch is built like any other modern Omega then the quality should be pretty good but the basic tech is very similar to the 1957 watch so I can't see it being vastly different in terms of quality. Lubricants and materials have moved on as have dial finish materials and lume but I am not sure what you want to hear?

Master
    Bracelet will be on a completely different league with solid links etc.
    But my guess is that if you could get the new one now (and assuming that I was offered with the non vintage lume), then got into your time machine and travelled back in 1957, went into a shop and had a look at both watches (heads only) you would not be able to identify any difference in built quality...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The materials, tolerances, printing, fit and finish will all be improved on.

'The watch snob' has partly answered my question:

"Three watches – the Railmaster, the Speedmaster, and the Seamaster 300 – all cosmetically identical to the versions of these watches that Omega produced in the 1950s. There are some major technical differences and some design improvements – better buckles than on the originals, for one thing, and of course, modern movements – but these watches are really an object lesson in doing the thing properly. If you are going to reference a vintage watch, it’s important to not give your clients reasons to dislike it, and the restraint that Omega showed in not putting anything in the way of a positive reaction to this trilogy is both surprising, and laudable."