closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Waze satnav app

Master

Waze satnav app

Anybody else using Waze as a satnav ?
    I installed it earlier this week and used it properly today on a trip to Nottingham.
    It alerted me to 2 hidden yellow speed cameras southbound this morning and another 2 northbound this afternoon on the way back that I haven't spotted before.
    It's interactive so Wazers are continually updating the traffic information and seems to work really well.

A lot of the cab drivers seem to swear by it, I keep meaning to give it a go.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Have it on my phone - seems pretty good.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Been using it a while.

You can can tell it what time you need to be at your destination, then it sends you an alert when it's time to leave.

ETAs are usually fairly accurate.

Had it for ages, but rarely need it in these parts!
    However, every time I have used it, Waze has been spot on. I love the way it learns the common places that you visit.

Been using it for a few years now, use it daily for work to Staines and I also used it last year in both Sydney and Perth Australia where it guided me around with no issues

Master
    Seems like Uber drivers use it, so maybe it's not so bad?

No, deleted it, for this reason.

I was travelling from the south coast to Loughborough, last bit on the M1. By Southampton the roadside signs were warning "M1 North Closed."

After a coffee stop and about two more hours almost every gantry was saying "M1 North Closed". Waze tried to take me up the motorway and through the point at which it had been (and still was) closed.

I manually came off the M1 just south of Leicester, as did everyone else. Both southbound and northbound carriageways were empty beyond that point. Waze was (despite being on my phone with internet connection) blissfully unaware.

Deleted the app the minute I stopped. Good luck with it if you go for it. I lost all confidence in it and would never use it again.

Been using it for a while now and not had any problems at all. Really easy to use with clear instructions. Plus it's free!!

Craftsman
    I like it. The view angle is a bit off compared to some. I also use Google maps.
    I have deleted navmii as it was starting to wind me up for several reasons I can no longer remember.

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    No, deleted it, for this reason.

I was travelling from the south coast to Loughborough, last bit on the M1. By Southampton the roadside signs were warning "M1 North Closed."

After a coffee stop and about two more hours almost every gantry was saying "M1 North Closed". Waze tried to take me up the motorway and through the point at which it had been (and still was) closed.

I manually came off the M1 just south of Leicester, as did everyone else. Both southbound and northbound carriageways were empty beyond that point. Waze was (despite being on my phone with internet connection) blissfully unaware.

Deleted the app the minute I stopped. Good luck with it if you go for it. I lost all confidence in it and would never use it again.
    Sounds a bit 'toys out pram'? why not just stop using it for now?

I've got it but never used it... I downloaded the app after Tim Burton (Shmee150 on YT) spoke about it, he does a gazillion miles a year both in the UK and abroad and is a big fan of the system.

Master
    That's where I saw it too.

Journeyman
    I'm a big fan of waze. It's saved me from long delays on numerous occasions. I use it for most out of town journeys

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    It's excellent, use it all the time especially around London.

We used it for a club diving trip to Scotland.

It was excellent - You could track each vehicle in the group and they could report incidents and delays.

Very clever, but I tend to just use the satnav built into my car or the trusty Tom Tom One if we take my wife's car (or one of the kids')

M.

I use it all the time, it's an absolute godsend around here and has saved me many hours of potentially sitting in traffic jams. The updates from other users are instant and ETAs usually quite accurate. The only issue I have is when I can't get a data connection, particularly when arriving in another country, so I normally have an off-line alternative SatNav as well.

Doesn't it eat loads of data, á la google maps?

" I manually came off" fnarrrr, fnarrrr.....

Waze satnav app

I was sold on it by a cabbie who drove me from the airport to my home in the middle of nowhere using all the shortcuts that I thought were 'mine'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Noticed the uber driver using it so tried it. Impressed by it - I don't do much more than go to work, nursery and York for shopping though.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Doesn't it eat loads of data, á la google maps?
    I use Google Maps every day, and find that it seems to have better traffic information than Waze - despite them both being owned by Google and supposedly using the same information - but I've never found it to be a high data user.

You can also download sections of maps for use offline in Google Maps if you're really worried about data usage (I normally struggle to use more than about 2Gb of my monthly 20Gb allowance).

I use waze very regularly and find it much better than google maps. To be specific I find it more accurate in timing and also far superior in finding alternative routes/shortcuts

Craftsman
    It's my preferred sat nav. Seems to get you in the right lanes really early and plenty of notice at the right time before junctions

The only thing I'd like Waze to add are traffic/speed camera warnings, used to offer quite a vocal warning before but now it just seems to beep which isn't that great.

Another long time user here. It's the best IMO. The only thing to be aware of is that it can get quite 'adventurous' and send you down many little side roads with speed bumps when the other more comfortable alternatives may add just a minute to your trip.

I use it all of the time. I've set mine up to beep when I go 10% over speed limit.

Never had any issues with it and prefer the interface to google maps.

Been using Waze for a few years now. I used to spend £100ish on a Satnav every two years, don't have to any more. My new car came with a built-in nav. Never used it. Waze is the nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Casper View Post
    Plus it's free!!
    That's the bit that makes me wonder what the business model is and instantly makes me distrust it.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    That's the bit that makes me wonder what the business model is and instantly makes me distrust it.
    Exactly. It you are not paying for it, you are the product.

I like Waze but only turn on the preferences when I need it, as it tracks you even when you're not using it for example.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I like Waze but only turn on the preferences when I need it, as it tracks you even when you're not using it for example.
    That explains why Google are interested, then. Perhaps Uber will buy shares as well.

Advertisements do pop up when you stop in traffic, which happens a lot here. They seem quite well targeted as well, such as a notification that there is a Juan Valdez coffee shop around the corner just when you have reached the point where you are desperate for either caffeine, a toilet, or both.

Driving in unfamiliar locations, waze is my go-to sat nav app.

Yep.

That explains why Google are interested, then. Perhaps Uber will buy shares as well.
    Google bought Waze several years ago. They paid a few billion $ for a small Israeli start-up.

Now, most of the traffic info on Google Maps (and elsewhere) is supplied by Waze users. There is a good reason that the app is free to the end user - the data it generates is worth $$$$$s to Google.

I like it and it's way more accurate versus my in car satellite navigation. .....

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I agree with with all of this. It's a great App!

Quote Originally Posted by Ribena36 View Post
    I use waze very regularly and find it much better than google maps. To be specific I find it more accurate in timing and also far superior in finding alternative routes/shortcuts

Just used Waze and was really surprised the completely different route it took me as it wasn't rush hour, had to stop and check that I had set it right.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I use it over the standard BMW sat nav, it's taken me some weird and wonderful ways but always get the job done

Craftsman
    Does it work with Apple CarPlay?

I'd like to use it on journeys I do regularly.

Has anyone found a way to turn the volume off for directions and on for other notifications?

Journeyman

Waze satnav app

I use this everyday. Even on the roads I know. Other users can flag up traffic and mobile cameras.

The only thing it doesn't do which would be nice would be to show you which lane to be in. Some of the intersections were I am are gigantic. Other than that it's great.

Quote Originally Posted by TAG0001 View Post
    Has anyone found a way to turn the volume off for directions and on for other notifications?
    Under Quick Settings, set Sound to 'Alerts'.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    Under Quick Settings, set Sound to 'Alerts'.
    Yep, I have it on this.

I've tried Waze, copilot, tomtom go. Tomtom is by far and away my preferred option. The traffic info is miles ahead of Waze, as is the route planning (and just as importantly) the interface. You get what you pay for.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    I've tried Waze, copilot, tomtom go. Tomtom is by far and away my preferred option. The traffic info is miles ahead of Waze, as is the route planning (and just as importantly) the interface. You get what you pay for.
    That depends on where you are. TomTom traffic is rather limited outside of Europe and North America.