closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Investment Watch(es)

Investment Watch(es)

I was unsure whether to put this here or in WTB. If I have made a mistake please let me know.

I want to spend £4.5-5.5K on a 'sports' type watch (or watches plural) preferably Rolex or Tudor. The money is sat doing nothing in premium bonds atm so I'm going to cash some in.
    I already have a mint full set Coke 16710 I have had from new and will keep that.
    I am looking for something that will appreciate in value, as has my lovely GMT, also look good as a daily wearer.
    Advice from the cognoscenti on here will be much appreciated although I realise that predicting future desirability is in no way an exact science.

Craftsman
    A sub 16610 would be my choice if you can get one for your budget.

I think in future the non oversized cased Rolex sports will be the ones to have. The new big cases are ok but they can't hold a candle to the earlier sleeker models.

My 2p at least

Not this again.

Tokei!

Blog Entries

A 16610LV is available to me, at £5500.

Waiting for my eventual return to Malaysia to take the plunge

DONT PM ME.

Master
    Blog Entries
    At that budget your prob better seeing it as a "get your money back" rather then an investment

Get a Sub and you should get your money back in years to come and regard any profit as a bonus

Journeyman
    216570 good choice

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by howie77 View Post
    Not this again.

Tokei!
    Oh dear, have I asked before?

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Got a migraine?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    Got a migraine?
    Yes. Too many repeat topics give me a headache

Quote Originally Posted by Dan95 View Post
    A 16610LV is available to me, at £5500.

Waiting for my eventual return to Malaysia to take the plunge

DONT PM ME.
    That's interesting, I have relatives 'travelling' atm. Are there Far East countries that sell Rolex considerably cheaper? or more to the point ones where you can buy cheaper AND risk free?

Quote Originally Posted by DJL-73 View Post

I think in future the non oversized cased Rolex sports will be the ones to have. The new big cases are ok but they can't hold a candle to the earlier sleeker models.

My 2p at least
    Yes, I've wondered why they are making them bigger. Sign of the times.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yes, I've wondered why they are making them bigger. Sign of the times.
    I don't think they are. Most brands seem to be bringing out smaller alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Yes. Too many repeat topics give me a headache
    I contribute to quite a few forums on different subjects and interests. Before I post I usually do a search to see if a subject has been 'done to death' in which case I will generally add to an existing thread.
    It does no one any good to add 'chippy' derailing remarks to a legitimate thread asking for advice.
    Just sayin'

Craftsman
    Just sayin'
    Careful newbie, you'll be getting yourself on 'Ze list'

Master
    Blog Entries
    I contribute to quite a few forums on different subjects and interests. Before I post I usually do a search to see if a subject has been 'done to death' in which case I will generally add to an existing thread.
    It does no one any good to add 'chippy' derailing remarks to a legitimate thread asking for advice.
    Just sayin'
    To be fair it's not an investment forum. To ask people what watches are going to be popular after in 20+ years is a bit much.

I would say at the £5k mark there won't be anything that will give amazing returns. Most watches are built to last, not change much and are mass produced.

Like most people are suggesting. Rolex 14060 or 16610 but I would be surprised if it was that brilliant of a return.

That's interesting, I have relatives 'travelling' atm. Are there Far East countries that sell Rolex considerably cheaper? or more to the point ones where you can buy cheaper AND risk free?
    Used Rolexs are way cheaper back in Malaysia.

1601 on a bracelet £1,100+-
    16600 SD I paid £4,200
    116619 Smurf; was offered a smidgen above £15,000

Although prices of 16710 GMTs have skyrocketed, can't get em for £4000 (what I paid last year) anymore.

If I were in your position i'd get a 5513 WG surround. Saw them hovering at £4500 last year. Cheapest EU (Chrono24) copy is £5,000 as of today.

Anyhow, relative discount compared to the UK highly dependent on whether you declare it upon entry to the UK.

I
    Yeah but it's 'traditional'

Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    To be fair it's not an investment forum. To ask people what watches are going to be popular after in 20+ years is a bit much.

I would say at the £5k mark there won't be anything that will give amazing returns. Most watches are built to last, not change much and are mass produced.

Like most people are suggesting. Rolex 14060 or 16610 but I would be surprised if it was that brilliant of a return.
    I have been thinking Non date sub. But also wondering why Seadwellers don't seem to be that popular. Tudor 79090/76100 are pricey when they come up for sale but considering the previous comment about 'slimmer' watches I wonder why the 75090 is generally valued lower?
    Tbh, I'm not looking to make a fortune but anything better than the awful return of premium (there's a contradiction if ever) bonds will be a bonus. I have calculated that If I had bought 5 GMT's instead of 1 and the PB's I would have about £25 grand worth by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Yeah but it's 'traditional'
    I'm sure you're right.
    Still, I suppose it's better than some of the bitch-slapping and threats-to-kill you get on some of the wilder forums

Quote Originally Posted by DJL-73 View Post

My 2p at least
    That would be my take on it also. Bling won't always be the 'thing'

Al

I have been thinking Non date sub. But also wondering why Seadwellers don't seem to be that popular. Tudor 79090/76100 are pricey when they come up for sale but considering the previous comment about 'slimmer' watches I wonder why the 75090 is generally valued lower?
    Tbh, I'm not looking to make a fortune but anything better than the awful return of premium (there's a contradiction if ever) bonds will be a bonus. I have calculated that If I had bought 5 GMT's instead of 1 and the PB's I would have about £25 grand worth by now.
    The non-date submariner (classic case) has an extremely "clean' look - and to many people, the better choice.

Classic Seadweller is popular, you just don't see so many for sale S/H.

If I had (as planned) bought a new GMT every 3 months in 1980 (and stored them, rather than selling then - for profit) I'd have done rather well too. Sadly I never had an opportunity to get more than one, which was a daily wearer for 15yrs. Still the cheapest watch I have ever owned.

Al

Master
    If you could tell the future you could pick 6 numbers for tomorrow night's lottery. Nothing is a certain investment.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think the reason the GMT are doing so well is the fact that you can't get the pepsi and Coke bezels anymore, other than as a price wg option.

Most of the Rolex 5 digit range are seen as good choices and a lot of people prefer how they were before the bigger cases and ceramic inserts made an appearance. I dont think you can go wrong with any Sub, SD or GMT etc. The Daytonas are also a great choice but way above budget.

Condition is everything. I am not advocating trying to find a NOS example, but if possible buy an excellent condition watch with box and papers from a highly reputable source. prices seem to be on the up for most of the models.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    If you could tell the future you could pick 6 numbers for tomorrow night's lottery. Nothing is a certain investment.
    Agreed. The future has not happened.....we cannot know what it will bring. What we do know from history, is that 'investors' are at their most confident just before the market collapses. Buy watches for the pleasure they bring, that is the only investment worth having...in enjoyment.

Blog Entries
    '
    This kinda topic has been discussed

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...uy-right-now!-!

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...vestment-watch

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-BLNR-or-16750

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...nued-values-up

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...tion-conscious

just sayn

But you thought you'd make an exception just for us?

Master
    I would simply buy the watch you'd most like to wear regularly. The enjoyment of that is an investment itself in my mind. You stick to a SS Rolex of some kind and you'll also take care of any long term issue of losing money on it and if the market stays as buoyant for watches you may also see a profit :-)

I'm sure you're right.
    Still, I suppose it's better than some of the bitch-slapping and threats-to-kill you get on some of the wilder forums
    Plus you get to increase your post count by posting bollox :D

Watches are not an investment. Period.
    And, this is not going to change week to week.
    So we don't need a weekly thread about it.

Master
    Tudor 79090/76100 are pricey when they come up for sale but considering the previous comment about 'slimmer' watches I wonder why the 75090 is generally valued lower?
    The 75090 is a mid size version of 36mm. That is why..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    Plus you get to increase your post count by posting bollox :D
    Rather cynical to say the least.

I thought that's how all the masters got their counts up!

Michael
    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    Rather cynical to say the least.

I thought that's how all the masters got their counts up!

Michael
    I think he was referring to the fact that the post quality of those below the magic 250 count can be a bit variable at times. Cynical perhaps but well observed in my experience.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for that. Genuinely really useful. I should have searched more diligently.
    No worries!

Hey - now I've had a chance to think about your question - given that budget and if you really want to invest in watches (rather than stocks and shares which would probably give better long term return):

I would look vintage or recently out of production - something like a 5513 or 16600. Or maybe 116660 - which maybe going the way of the 116600..

If you can put in an extra 2K that widens your options.

Welcome to the forum btw!

Martyn

Master

Investment Watch(es)

Welcome to the forum!!
    My friend has recently asked me the same question then he showed me a planet ocean reduced by £700 at goldsmiths, rolex does not do sale items, they seem to control distribution of their product in a way where people start frothing at the mouth when there is a slight alteration of a bezel or text on a dial and paying 40% more than rrp, although I'm really not keen on rolex and in particular certain ads, you can't go far wrong with their sports models, also their price rises really does keep the 2nd hand market high as a teen on a Saturday night.

Last edited by fordystar; 27th April 2017 at 22:16.

My opinion is that if you are looking to buy a watch for investment purposes, now is not the right time to buy it.

There is their and there is there:-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    There is their and there is there:-)
    Noted sir, amended.

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    I think he was referring to the fact that the post quality of those below the magic 250 count can be a bit variable at times. Cynical perhaps but well observed in my experience.
    OK Point taken on the chin,
    But I took the original post as someone genuinely showing a little interest in watches.
    As an aside on another thread re "SeaDwellers", on chap says he bought one for £2440 -10% 11 years ago.For his son's 21st That's a huge leap in value at todays rates!
    Indeed I made a modest £500 flipping a BiMetal Sub with blue face, having enjoyed it as a daily wearer for many a year.

OK Point taken on the chin,
    But I took the original post as someone genuinely showing a little interest in watches.
    As an aside on another thread re "SeaDwellers", on chap says he bought one for £2440 -10% 11 years ago.For his son's 21st That's a huge leap in value at todays rates!
    Indeed I made a modest £500 flipping a BiMetal Sub with blue face, having enjoyed it as a daily wearer for many a year.
    Plenty of longstanding members on here will advise: "Don't buy a watch and think you will make a profit on it", and regularly - people post of 'actual' instances - when a profit was/can be made.

Al

one chap says he bought one for £2440 -10% 11 years ago.For his son's 21st That's a huge leap in value at todays rates!
    The pound has lost half it's worth since then, so it would have to sell for more than £4880 today (net of service costs) to have retained its initial value.

Journeyman
    Perhaps over simplifying things and being a bit boring - buy a used steel sports rolex that they don't make anymore. Can't say that they will defiantly increase in value but at least your money should be safe. The main point here is if you are getting BS% at the bank you can put it on your wrist and get a lot more enjoyment out of it.

Apprentice
    I've never understood why so many people get upset when watch people talk about buying investment pieces.

Rolex (sport models) have gradually and continuously increased in price and popularity, therefore they make a sound investment. They are at least as a reliable investment as any other!

If you do your research and buy right, then it's very simple!

The problem with £4.5-5.5 is you're unlikely to get watches with papers. Not the end of the world if you're happy to go vintage.

I'd look at:
    Explorer 1 114270
    Explorer 2 16570
    ND Sub 14060
    ND Sub 5513 (with gloss dial)
    LV Sub 16610lV

IMHO, for top of your budget, a Sub 16610LV would be your best bet for an investment piece. You should be able to find one for around £5.5k without b&p.

Good luck.

I don't think the subject has been anymore overdone than yet another post about a 'dull as dishwater' Rolex Sub or Omega Speedmaster. Ironically either of those is probably the right answer to your question.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by proby24 View Post
    I don't think the subject has been anymore overdone than yet another post about a 'dull as dishwater' Rolex Sub or Omega Speedmaster. Ironically either of those is probably the right answer to your question.
    Yep the list above is probably the right answer but you have to admit that they are some pretty boring choices. I bought an a Explorer II using the same logic mentioned here and I never wear it as it gives me no fizz whatsoever so it sits there unworn. It's not costing me anything but neither is it a cherished possession. I may as well be holding a stare certificate: it amounts to the same thing.
    Last edited by Padders; 28th April 2017 at 08:12.

Master
    There's a Tudor 79190 waiting for a buyer at The Old Watch Shop (Mike Wood) right now. Box and papers too. No mention of a price, though. These seem to be approaching £4K these days. Probably not an investment as such, however it's a classic model and something you'd probably enjoy owning and wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Plenty of longstanding members on here will advise: "Don't buy a watch and think you will make a profit on it", and regularly - people post of 'actual' instances - when a profit was/can be made.
    It's called survivorship bias. They don't mention the other ten watches they lost money on!

Craftsman
    Rolex is generally considered to be amongst, if not the best brand for 'investment' purposes. Prices are typically driven by demand and supply. As a result of some Rolex marketing genius, supply is controlled extremely carefully, so prices remain strong.

The fact of the matter is that modern Rolex is produced in vast quantities, therefore they will simply not be in as short supply as older ones. The hint is in the serial number series with 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 digit references. Beyond that, it is a matter of research, finding good pieces, etc.

I would agree with a previous poster that now is not a great time to 'invest' in a watch as the £ is so weak. If however you are dollar based or bought dollars some time ago, it is probably less of an issue.