closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: JDM Seiko diver, old vs new

JDM Seiko diver, old vs new

Being a bit of a Seiko fan, I have always been more attracted by the JDM versions of the SKX than the standard model. Thinking about it I am not too sure why... It is not for the perceived higher quality, or very subtly different dial design. I think I just like the fact that they are made in Seiko's homeland, doesn't it sound more romantic!

Anyway, I happen to be working on two SKX009J concurrently this week, and although they are the same model they sit at either end of the spectrum in terms of their appearance. One is an early model (2000), and looks like it has lived life to the full, while the other one is more recent, and looking very close to what it would be like out of the factory.

So which one do you prefer?

My heart is definitely set on the older one, I think it has aged rather beautifully! Strange hobby isn't it...

Master
    The one on the left just says time to buy a new watch and throw the old one in a drawer.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by alphajet View Post
    The one on the left just says time to buy a new watch and throw the old one in a drawer.
    Heathen!

It's my understanding that the J suffix doesn't mean JDM (Japan Domestic Model) while also pretty much acknowledged that the model is neither made in Japan (not at that price point vs the K model!) but rather it simply indicates the intended market - the Arabic date wheel being the give away.

My understanding is that a JDM model will have the Kanji date wheel for which there are scarce examples of the SKX.

Both of these have the "Made in Japan" on the dial, so I believe they would have been made in a Japanese factory? I could be wrong, every day is a school day with Seikos!
    They both have arabic day wheel, so you are right, definitely not JDM!
    Last edited by .olli.; 27th April 2017 at 09:16.

Master
    The one on the left gets my vote. That faded bezel looks superb.

I do like the older example but my concern in terms of actually buying one like that is that before long the red section on the bezel will have faded beyond the point which I personally would find acceptable.

Unless kept in a drawer all the time, in which case what's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by .olli. View Post
    Both of these have the "Made in Japan" on the dial, so I believe they would have been made in a Japanese factory? I could be wrong, every day is a school day with Seikos!
    They both have arabic day wheel, so you are right, definitely not JDM!
    I read that the J series are sold in markets where the definition of 'made in Japan' just means that a Japanese national is involved in the quality control but the factory doesn't have to be in Japan. You couldn't sell those watches legitimately in the EU as the definition of 'made in ...' is more stringent.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

Interesting, I did not know that. As I said, every day is a school day when it comes to Seikos!

I prefer my bezels to be pristine. The older watch has gone past its best before date. In the bin.

Bit strong.

My opinion only of course, but some things with a few signs of life are generally more interesting than fresh out the box - in this case I think a watch being a good example.

Quote Originally Posted by Nansbread1 View Post
    I prefer my bezels to be pristine. The older watch has gone past its best before date. In the bin.
    Interestingly, after a service it is performing much better than the newer one. So definitely not past its best before date in my book!

Quote Originally Posted by howie77 View Post
    My opinion only of course, but some things with a few signs of life are generally more interesting than fresh out the box - in this case I think a watch being a good example.
    I could not agree more, watches, cars, houses, antiques, I could go on! It sounds very cliche but patina gives them charm and character.
    Oh well, would it not be boring if we all liked the same things!
    Last edited by .olli.; 28th April 2017 at 19:55.

FWIW, if I had both, I'd wear the one that's lived a little

Exactly what I have been doing today Ed, Friday thread here to prove it!