closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 9ct white gold polish

Craftsman

9ct white gold polish

Hi guys, I have a 9ct white gold wedding ring, only had it on 9 months (feels like a lot longer) and it's already fairly grubby! Any advice on how best to polish it up a bit?
    Cheers for any advice
    Andy

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_G View Post
    (feels like a lot longer)
    Ha!

The gold polishing cloths from H Samuel's are actually very good for £5 mate.

Master
    White gold is coated with Rhodium, Andy, so it will look a bit dirty over time.

In fact, there is no such thing as white gold technically - all gold is...Gold.
    To make 9ct white gold they mix a few different white metals in there with the 37.5% of gold and it comes to a dull grey. That is then finished with a fine coating of Rhodium.

That Rhodium will wear off over time, though it's generally 18 months to 2 years before it goes really dull and needs replating.

Most decent jewellers will rhodium plate a ring for around £20-£30.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Walesy View Post
    The gold polishing cloths from H Samuel's are actually very good for £5 mate.
    Cheers, I take it there's some sort of residue on them?

I've tried using a wax at my work (mold release wax) with a muslin cloth but that didn't do much. We also have a polishing paste but not sure if that would be a bit too rough.

Yeah its a 2 part thing...one is the polishing/cleaning cloth and the other is a finishing cloth.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    White gold is coated with Rhodium, Andy, so it will look a bit dirty over time.

In fact, there is no such thing as white gold technically - all gold is...Gold.
    To make 9ct white gold they mix a few different white metals in there with the 37.5% of gold and it comes to a dull grey. That is then finished with a fine coating of Rhodium.

That Rhodium will wear off over time, though it's generally 18 months to 2 years before it goes really dull and needs replating.

Most decent jewellers will rhodium plate a ring for around £20-£30.
    Cheers kevkojak, I always thought it would be the gold on the outside, hence why I thought it would be expensive to replate. Makes more sense now you've explained it!
    I've got quite a hands on job so take the ring off during working hours (mrs wasn't happy!) so I was surprised but how bad it looks after a short time.

Craftsman
    Yup, what kevkojav said

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Lost my wedding ring a few weeks ago, it got knocked off the bedside table and simply vanished. It was a cheap £30 titanium one, which while i liked the price and the lack of weight, over the last 8 years had become quite scratched and dull. Bought a replacement last week from amazon, tungsten carbide, looks lovely, just like shiney new white gold and i aint gonna scratch this puppy. Best bit is the price, £20 delivered, nice