closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sun burst

Master

Sun burst

I am trying to regain the sun burst effect on a watch case. What can I use that will give me the best result.

To do a perfect job, you need a lapping machine. Not really an option for the diy'er!

Short of this, it is possible to achieve a reasonable finish with abrasive sticks. A basic jig will help you keep the grain straight and concentric. There is an excellent thread on thewatchsite describing one approach to this. I have included a link below.
    I would practice on a scrap case first, be very careful when you reach the edges of the case to avoid rounding them

http://www.thewatchsite.com/21-japan...added-how.html

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by .olli. View Post
    To do a perfect job, you need a lapping machine. Not really an option for the diy'er!

Short of this, it is possible to achieve a reasonable finish with abrasive sticks. A basic jig will help you keep the grain straight and concentric. There is an excellent thread on thewatchsite describing one approach to this. I have included a link below.
    I would practice on a scrap case first, be very careful when you reach the edges of the case to avoid rounding them

Certain cases need a lapping machine, whilst others can be done by hand. I've done a few and I don`t use a jig, I have a technique which gives excellent results but it does require a steady hand. I use the edge of a Garryflex block, but the edge has to be sharp. I`ve also used a narrow strip of coarse wet and dry glued to a thin rubber block, followed by the Garryflex block to soften the finish slightly.

I think I spent more time trying to devise a way to do this (designing a jig etc) than finishing my first attempt! In the end I gave it a go using an old case and was surprised how good a result I got. After that I practiced and eventually got it right.

Practice makes perfect, get an old case to practice on.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by .olli. View Post

if you look at what a lapping machine basically is..you'd be surprised how easy it can be to make one.

Last week i looked up what it would cost me to buy one.. well.. somewhere in the regions of €7K to start.. and then €3K to get a fixture to attach your cases to..

then.. i looked on "Marktplaats" a dutch website for trading second hand stuff.. and i found a woodworking lathe for only €25,-
    if it is a popular model, you can get faceplates for it.. bolt on a slab of aluminium, and stick some sandpaper on it.. and you're done.. any cheap lathe will suffice.

the fixture is the expensive part.. well.. you could use a magnetic base, for dial indicators.
    You'd only have to fabricobble some sort of clampingdevice, i have a lathe and a mill.. so i made a set of collets (yes.. i'm quite a "DIY-er") and..

well.. you get the point.. i have an old cheap lathe i use for all kinds of work..

a future project will be a detachable beltsander that will be driven from the main spindle, and the attachment can be clamped on the machinebed..

It looks like a nice setup. I am planning to have a go at making my own at some point.
    What is the red articulated attachment you used here if you don't mind me asking?

Craftsman
    Looks like an indicator stand. Used to hold dial indicators when setting pieces up on machine tools ( amongst other uses)

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    Looks like an indicator stand. Used to hold dial indicators when setting pieces up on machine tools ( amongst other uses)

Dave
    Yup.. it is exactly that.. :)
    as said before, i have more machines in my "pretty little workshop", namely a CNC Mill and a CNC lathe ( i have two more CNC lathes, but not enough room to set them up.
    with those machines, i made the ColletChuck to clamp the case.