closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ever bought a watch and then wondered why?

Ever bought a watch and then wondered why?

Like most people, if I buy a watch it's because I'm strongly drawn to it in some way, or its an ambition fulfilled. That's all good.

However, it seems I've recently bought a watch because I thought everyone else has one except me! I had a space in the box, and bought a Speedy, not because I liked it but because I thought I should. It's a great watch but I don't feel any particular fondness for it.

Does that sound weird or has anyone else done it? Be nice to know I'm not alone!

Master
    You are not alone....Black Bay still doesn't float my boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No......
    F.T.F.A.

Master

Hope not?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrubnut View Post
    Like most people, if I buy a watch it's because I'm strongly drawn to it in some way, or its an ambition fulfilled. That's all good.

However, it seems I've recently bought a watch because I thought everyone else has one except me! I had a space in the box, and bought a Speedy, not because I liked it but because I thought I should. It's a great watch but I don't feel any particular fondness for it.

Does that sound weird or has anyone else done it? Be nice to know I'm not alone!
    Must admit Ive never owned a Speedy as never been drawn in but since being on here and reading so much I'm probably going to try a vintage one??? Hopefully it will stay??
    I also want a PAM just because it almost feels like I should like them but I don't really?? Maybe not dislike more I'm not drawn to them and that's why trying one for me is the answer?

I did buy a non date Rolex Sub but soon realised as a main watch I have to have a date ?? To be honest I use the date part more than the time part of a watch??? Plus for me the cyclops is iconic but I got the 14060 because everyone mentioned it so much I thought I had to try one!! Done and won't be getting another I'm afraid?

Chris

Never quite done that, but I have bought a Mk3 Speedy, a TV dial Omega chrono and a Flightmaster which I've sold because I never wore them.

The reasons I never wore them? The Mk3 -every time I took it from the safe, I thought "I'd rather wear my pro" and put it back, the TV dial (176.005) was just the wrong shape for me (which I didn't realise until I'd spent a bucket of cash on restoring it) and the Flightmaster... Well, I bought it, I totally restored it and I loved it, but it was too good to wear (I know!) and just too big for me - all things I could have realised before committing the (not insignificant) amounts of cash I spent on them.

Too good to wear - see also the following Seiko's - Bullheads in blue and brown, UFO and Pogues in both blue and yellow. Believe it or not (and I know I'm amongst friends here) I have mint examples of all of these, and also slightly less minty ones which I actually wear...

It's not right, is it?

I have - I bought a Breitling Avenger Chronograph. After a few days on the wrist I didn't like it. I didn't like the dial looked in subdued lighting. Thought I'd made a massive and costly mistake.

Over time however, I've come to like it more and more, but am careful to wear it when I'm going to be outdoors during the day and avoid wearing it in the evening.

I do however fancy a Speedy (possibly for the same reasons as you) so if you decide to move it on...

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I have, i went into a Ad to buy a Subc and they gave me the usual no stock, list is 9 months if your lucky etc and basically fobbed me off, So out of spit they had a black bay and i just bought it there and then to sort of prove a point that i can afford them. so regret that as it just sits in the box and still hankering for a subc

I had been looking around for watches that use the 2801, which is a dateless manual movement. The CW Slimline was one of the few options, but there were things I had against it, so didn't buy it.

One December 27th, a kindly soul posted a link to one of their half price clearance sales (back then their half price sales came and went, unlike now) I think my logic was that if I half-liked it at £400 then £200 was the right price....

Unfortunately, the things I had against it weren't melted away by the £200 saving, and I also discovered other things about it that I didn't like. It was gone in months.

Between realising that I would be selling it soon and actually selling it, I scraped the polished bezel, and so felt obliged to lower the price than I had been intending to ask.

I can somewhat relate to this. Last year I bought a Bulova Moonwatch. Not because I yearned for one and not because I was irresistibly drawn to it. No, my reasons were much more prosaic...
    • H.S.Johnson were offering it hugely discounted
    • it was very late at night and I couldn't sleep
    • I'd had two rather substantial whiskies
    • I was (slightly) interested to know what all the fuss was about

To my surprise I've completely fallen for it now and see it as a long-term keeper - so it turned out well for me...

Simon

Master
    Very many years ago I yearned for a Tag but couldn't afford as still paying for my divorce. Bought a Sector watch which was ok but never saw light again when I got my TAG.

I've bought a few because they were cheap. Never worn them, sold them for less than I paid...now THAT makes no sense!

Master
    Err yes, I bought a fake hublot once "megir" for 25 pounds on Amazon just to try the shape, size and for fun and I still thought wtf about 10mins in possession. I also purchased a horrible fleiger from watch gecko complete waste of money. I flipped my red grape Rolex and zenith el primero, one was too small the other too big.

Mistakes happen, and it costs! Goes part and parcel with discovering ones tastes in watches.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    Err yes, I bought a fake hublot once "megir" for 25 pounds on Amazon just to try the shape, size and for fun and I still thought wtf about 10mins in possession. I also purchased a horrible fleiger from watch gecko complete waste of money. I flipped my red grape Rolex and zenith el primero, one was too small the other too big.

Mistakes happen, and it costs! Goes part and parcel with discovering ones tastes in watches.

Ha Megir, I have 3, 2 PAM and one Cartier inspired models. They really are great quality, great quality what exactly, I've yet to decide!!
    At least they're cheap and once the battery goes literally disposable

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Ha Megir, I have 3, 2 PAM and one Cartier inspired models. They really are great quality, great quality what exactly, I've yet to decide!!
    At least they're cheap and once the battery goes literally disposable
    Just wear it to a nice bar and flash the fakey/homage about.. Absolutely nobody notices!

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Ever bought a watch and then wondered why ?

No ! But I got married once and asked that question. ...

Sent from my SM-G900F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by Webwatchmaker; 26th April 2017 at 09:30.

Master
    I have done this a few times but, thankfully, I've yet to take a bath as a result. The key is to buy at a good value price and then little or no harm is done.

Buying retail in this situation can be a severe lesson and a bitter pill to swallow.

In the past year I've made loads of purchases but I've been able to recoup my costs on the ones I've realised were not for me. The usual reason for not wanting to keep a watch is the size. I was buying too many 43mm+. My tastes have radically changed in terms of proportions so most of these have gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Webwatchmaker View Post

Thankfully thats one one mistake I haven't made!

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Thankfully thats one one mistake I haven't made!
    It wasn't a mistake...but the question was posed nonetheless !

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Webwatchmaker View Post

Lucky you. I did that twice.....

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

A few years ago I got a thing in my head about needing a couple of coloured G-Shocks and within a week I'd bought blind off the 'net a red GA-100 and a green GD-100, I received both of them together and instantly questioned why I bought them the moment they were unboxed. Neither saw the light of day outside the house and both were sold on within the following week. I still get the occasional pang for another coloured G, every now and again I look at the various 5000 series variants to add to the two black cased models I already have, though the memory of the past puts me off. Never say never, though... I also bought one of the first Magrettes to land in the country, I was caught in the hype and excitement of a new brand, that one was only worn a couple of times before being passed on. Despite buying many of my watches blind and without ever seeing them beforehand (I've got a few Sinns, Damaskos, GSs and Stowas that can be nigh-on impossible to try before you buy) I think I've been quite lucky with the relatively few regrets.

Ref the Moonwatch - I've tried one on a number of times now, it's a watch I really want to "get" yet it's never quite hit the spot enough to commit.
    Last edited by CardShark; 26th April 2017 at 10:22.

Master
    No but I've bought a watch that I wanted for ages and then realised after buying it that I didn't want it that much. Fortunately I bought it pre owned and didn't take much of a hit on the sale.

Ever bought a watch and then wondered why?
    No, but then I've never been in a position where I've had a spare few grand and thought about buying something I don't really need or want. Lovely position to be in though, hopefully I'll get there some day.

i did a few times and they ended in selling in the end. Do i have regrets no i don't because i learned my lesson to never buy a watch again before seen in the flesh.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    No, but then I've never been in a position where I've had a spare few grand and thought about buying something I don't really need or want. Lovely position to be in though, hopefully I'll get there some day.
    A position which can cause all sorts of trouble

Master

Yeah i have done this before.

In fact, there is one watch I do regret buying.

I wanted a Sinn 656 for ages, and could have bought one from Jura back when they had their London showroom. I went back to the hotel to think about it, and it was gone by the next day when I went back. Decided I couldn't afford it at the time, so kept my eye out for a second hand one.

6+ years of ebay searches, keeping an eye on here and always missing them, lots of WTBs and nothing came through.

Then I saw one on Chronomaster last year, pics looked bad, but the description convinced me it would be OK. When it arrived it was absolutely knackered. The original strap was worn through at the lug on one side, not far off going on the other, and the case looked like it had been strapped to the bottom of a particularly busy skateboard.

I complained, was offered a refund, but I didn't want to let it go, having looked for one for so long.

Found a decent rubber strap for it now (although I'd still love a curved end Sinn one) and I wear it for work quite regularly as it won't mind another ding, but I reckon getting it sorted would cost about as much as I paid for it. Should have bought the new one, even though it would have meant extending the overdraft at a time when I really couldn't afford to!

Apprentice
    Nope, but then I've never bought that many watches, or ones that expensive.

Plus I don't really like the Speedmaster (or Seamaster - I am sure I will get flamed for this!), or most of the Rolex's tbh. But then I do not like Patek Philippe watches either so go figure.

Omega Planet Ocean's I do like though...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrydog View Post
    Nope, but then I've never bought that many watches, or ones that expensive.

Plus I don't really like the Speedmaster (or Seamaster - I am sure I will get flamed for this!), or most of the Rolex's tbh. But then I do not like Patek Philippe watches either so go figure.

Omega Planet Ocean's I do like though...
    That kind of choosiness has saved you a few quid........ ;-)

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Definitely! More to spend on cars :D

Master
    Not quite that bad, but I did buy a Planet Ocean because I wanted an Omega, and that one ticked the most boxes for me. I do like it a lot though, if only the bracelet fit me well

Craftsman
    Nope , I have however purchased watches that I didn't think I liked (Rolex - shock horror being one!) but then saw the attraction to.
    I own a couple of Omega PO and a Aqua t. Fair to say I have spent some time in Omega Boutique but never been drawn to Speedmaster, but through time I have now grown to like. The Speedmaster 57 is now on my list of try and perhaps buy.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    Lucky you. I did that twice.....

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Me too !! But still up for a third !!!

Blog Entries
    It's natural I have the feeling with everything piece I buy.

It generally wears off ...... most of the time but I have had the odd exception.

Bear with for a few more days.

Paul

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Heh, I'm smiling at this. I also don't like any Rolex, Omega or Patek models at this stage in my life. I could save so much money if I could just wean myself off the Lange obsession...

I feel the same about a Sub.

Yes. A PRS10 when drunk. I quite like it but have no idea why I went from ignorance to ownership in minutes.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dickbrowne View Post
    Never quite done that, but I have bought a Mk3 Speedy, a TV dial Omega chrono and a Flightmaster which I've sold because I never wore them.

The reasons I never wore them? The Mk3 -every time I took it from the safe, I thought "I'd rather wear my pro" and put it back, the TV dial (176.005) was just the wrong shape for me (which I didn't realise until I'd spent a bucket of cash on restoring it) and the Flightmaster... Well, I bought it, I totally restored it and I loved it, but it was too good to wear (I know!) and just too big for me - all things I could have realised before committing the (not insignificant) amounts of cash I spent on them.

Too good to wear - see also the following Seiko's - Bullheads in blue and brown, UFO and Pogues in both blue and yellow. Believe it or not (and I know I'm amongst friends here) I have mint examples of all of these, and also slightly less minty ones which I actually wear...

It's not right, is it?
    I had a chuckle reading this it seems you've user tested every watch I've either bid for or have owned and have mostly never been worn. I wonder whether I am strangely drawn to 70's Sci Fi and have some deep and strange need for enormous cased watches

Grand Master
    Happens a lot, a consequence of being an addicted inveterate flipper and mostly buying from the internet!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    You are not alone....Black Bay still doesn't float my boat.

I am considering buying one of these but I really want a Tudor Sub. Shall I?

See, I do the opposite. I know I want a watch, often quite a bit, but then talk myself out of it after spending a week making my mind up. It's buyer's remorse in reverse.

Master
    It's a nice watch.....but not a Rolex minus...

Yes

I bought a WG Skydweller recently. Had lined for one for ages so bit the bullet (but really wanted a 5712)...after a week it just didn't suit me so had to go.... annoying but sold just before the SS releases which can only have a negative impact on the WG models I feel.

Every cloud.....next on the list for a 5712!

Speedy pro

Bought one brand new in march not even taken it out of the box

Don't know why

If anybody wants to buy pm me as will list it at some point

Bnib on bracelet etc uk model

Master
    Blog Entries
    DSSD Deep Blue, dial and clasp amazing the rest is a bit meh!

Master
    If anyone's purchased a Tudor Sub they don't wear I would be interested so please PM me.

Craftsman
    I bought a Certina DS 1 Automatic that gets little or no wrist time.